Where No One Has Gone Before Pt. 09

Story Info
The mission concludes as Enterprise takes on the Mr'rk.
11k words
4.85
7.8k
33

Part 9 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/24/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Where No One Has Gone Before, Pt. 09

I suggest you read "The Armstrong Incident," and the first eight parts of this story to fully understand everything that takes place here, although it's not a requirement. It might also help to read "The Plant," as parts of this story refer to events in that series.

Many thanks to those who offered comments and constructive criticism on my previous stories and to QuantumMechanic1957 for his suggestions. For those who want to say this or that would never happen, remember this is my universe, a place where nearly anything can, and often does, happen. At least on paper...

And now, the disclaimers:

For those who want to say this or that would never happen, remember this is my universe, a place where nearly anything can, and often does, happen. At least on paper... In addition:

  1. Characters in this story may participate in one or more of the following: Smoking, consumption of adult (meaning, alcoholic) beverages, utterance of profanities.
  2. All sexual activity is between consenting adults 18 years of age or older.
  3. Statements or views uttered by the fictional characters in this story do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the author.

Please refer to my profile for more on my personal policy regarding comments, feedback, follows, etc. (Yes, I DO moderate comments) And please remember, this is a work of fiction, not a docu-drama...

...

End of "Where No One Has Gone Before, Pt. 08"

"Good morning, Captain," Alan said. "We don't have much time, so I'll get right to it. I've just been informed that I'm to meet with an Ambassador Tsod from the Gingravik Prefect of Earth. Do you know about that?"

"No sir, but I just got off the line with the Gingravik commander of the Tere. She sent me information about those transmissions you told me about. A lot of them are official comms between the Gingravik and this prefect of theirs. But several of them went to Washington, DC. I'll forward you the image when I receive it."

"Washington, DC, huh? Any idea where in DC?"

"Yes, sir. According to the image, it looks like a Congressional office building, but I don't know exactly which office. I do know that this system, T-107, contains material called quadrillium that absorbs solar radiation and can be used as a reliable source of clean renewable energy."

"Interesting," Alan said. "What else?"

"According to my Gingravik counterpart, the transmission went through a relay of sorts, run by a group called the Mr'rk. Commander Mishita describes them as profiteers or pirates."

"Terrific," Alan said. "I gather you suspect Senator Jacoby of being involved with these... Mr'rk?"

"I don't know what to think, sir," I said. "It's out of my area of expertise. But it does look rather suspicious. The Senator has ties to companies involved with clean alternative energy, and if this is all true, he could stand to make billions. Possibly trillions."

"You're right, Bill. It IS out of your area of expertise. But it does look suspicious. And Jacoby would stand to make a great deal of money, if, in fact, he's involved with this. Our window of communication is closing, Captain. Keep up the good work. Deal with these Darnok creatures as you see fit. I look forward to your next report. Admiral Simmons, out."

"Yes, sir," I responded, ending the transmission. The monitor went dark, and I sat back in my chair, wondering what we had gotten ourselves into. Moreover, I couldn't shake the feeling that every single person on this ship was about to be put in even more danger than we had ever faced before.

...

And now, "Where No One Has Gone Before Pt. 09"

I sat at my desk in the quarters I shared with Kyra that evening, rubbing my temples. It had been one hell of a day so far. After our conversation, I got my report off to Alan and received his acknowledgment. He was ecstatic to hear about the shielding technology, as I figured he would be. At least there was one good thing to come from the day.

"Are you alright, sweetheart?" Kyra asked as she rubbed my shoulders. God, that felt so good. I closed my eyes and leaned back into her as she massaged me. "You seem rather tense."

"The burden of command, I suppose," I said. "You think Leesa ever went through this?" Kyra chuckled at that.

"I can tell you she experienced this at least once a week," my wife said.

"Seriously?" I asked.

"Oh yes. In fact, I had a standing appointment with her, at least one hour every week. Sometimes more."

"I didn't know that," I told her.

"It never came up, and there is such a thing as doctor-patient confidentiality, you know."

"Of course." I should've known, but Leesa was so good at her job that it never occurred to me that she would even need to seek out Kyra's professional services. "So, what's your prognosis, doc? Will I make it?" Kyra chuckled at that.

"I think you will, with lots of tender loving care. It won't be easy, though," Kyra quipped with a slight smile. "Seriously, though. You have a lot on your plate. I mean, you're nose-to-nose with an alien spacecraft, preparing to face off against hostile aliens you know next to nothing about. You have a couple hundred souls depending on you in the harshest and most unforgiving environment known to humanity - some ten light years from Earth. No pressure there, right?"

"Not when you put it that way," I joked.

"Then it's probably a good idea for us to talk, don't you think?" Kyra asked in that tone wives seemed to acquire for getting their husbands to do what they wanted...

"We talk all the time," I said.

"Yes, we do. We talk, we eat meals together. We play our instruments together. We enjoy each other's bodies together. And I appreciate that you bring me into the section briefings. But we don't actually... talk. You know, about the things that weigh heavily on your mind. You share quite a bit, but you tend to keep a lot close to your chest. Let's face it, this mission hasn't exactly turned out the way you thought it might, has it?"

"Not... exactly," I said quietly. Damn, this woman was good, I thought. "I figured we would find some esoteric quality in this part of space that caused the sensor anomalies and that would would be it. I never thought in my wildest imagination that we'd encounter an alien species of intelligent plants sporting 12 penises."

"Does that bother you?" Kyra asked.

"What? That we've encountered an alien species?" I asked.

"No, that this species of alien has 12 sets of rather prominent sex organs," Kyra said with a mischievous smile.

"Are you suggesting I suffer from a form of penis envy or something?" I responded, returning her smile.

"Are you?" I couldn't help but laugh out loud at that.

"Not hardly," I said. "What about you? Are you a bit curious about these well-endowed aliens?"

"I admit, I'm a bit curious, as any woman might be," Kyra said. "But not curious enough to take action. I have no desire to, uh, sample, what they offer. Besides, I made a promise to forsake all others for you. And that includes well-endowed aliens with multiple penises. I love you too much to do that to you."

"And I love you more, my wonderful wife," I said.

"Good answer, space man," Kyra responded before kissing me.

"But I am concerned about something."

"What's that?" Kyra asked.

"As I'm sure you know, the crew was specifically selected for their compatibility. Every possible demographic was considered when putting this crew together. I can't help but wonder what impact these native Gingravik might have on the balance we have here."

"You mean, what if our female crew members decide to gravitate towards the Gingravik males?"

"Something like that," I told her. "I mean, if I were a single man, I might wonder how I could possibly compete against a being with not one, but 12 very large sex organs. Eventually, it could cause some... significant... morale problems." Kyra thought for a few moments before responding.

"I understand your concern," she said. "But from what I've seen, that isn't an issue. I've been watching their interaction with our crew. I get the feeling these Gingravik are quite perceptive beings. Yes, they have a very high libido. But from my observation, they don't target women indiscriminately."

"You mean, they're not 'pussy hounds.' It's that what you're telling me?"

"Something like that," Kyra said.

"That's good to hear. Have you spoken to Petty Officer Jenkins yet?"

"No, I haven't. I've been rather busy lately, but I do have her on my schedule for tomorrow," Kyra said. "Did she..."

"Yes," I answered before she could finish her question.

"I see," Kyra said quietly. "Well, this should be interesting. How much do you already know?"

"I don't know all of the specifics, but I know enough. I don't know if her encounter has had any lasting impact on her."

"I'll see what I can find out," Kyra said. I marveled for a moment at the precarious personal and professional balancing act my wife had to do; between her duty to the ship and doctor-patient confidentiality.

We called it a night and went to bed after relaxing with music and a cup of Kyra's renowned hot chocolate. Playing music together had become a form of foreplay between us. I had to admit that my wife was becoming quite the musician. The fact that we occasionally played in the nude, or very close to it, certainly helped in that department.

Chet brought us all up to speed on his progress with the Gingravik "brain hood" during the following day's morning briefing. I was happy to hear that he and the rest of the Engineering team had been able to get past the initial communication gap with the Gingravik.

"We're set to perform final testing on the hoods today. If all goes well, we can start printing them out," Chet said.

"Good work, Commander," I said. "How much of our stock would this take?"

"Best estimate, a little more than a third, sir."

"I guess it's a good thing we ordered a third more than normal, isn't it?" I asked.

"Yes, sir, I suppose it is," Chet said.

"How long would it take to print out enough for both crews?"

"I'd say three to four full days," Chet said.

"Alright. Let me know how your tests go. By the way, the Gingravik is bringing over a piece of equipment for us this morning - a device that will give us shielding. I want you to oversee its integration." Chet's face turned white when I said that. "Is there a problem?"

"Sir, I'm not sure that's even possible," Chet said.

"If anyone can make it happen, you can, Chet. See to it. It's crucial," I said.

"Yes, sir," Chet said, resigned to his task. After the briefing, Chet, Jim, and I walked to the shuttle bay, where I saw everyone off. "You watch yourself over there, Number One," I told Jim as he climbed on board with his overnight bag.

"I will, Captain," he said with a shit-eating grin. The shuttles left after we reached the safety of the observation room, only to be replaced with the shuttles from the Tere. We greeted our guests and bade farewell to those who had spent the night. Commander Ra'al, Mishita's executive officer, wheeled himself to me.

"I believe the standard greeting is, good morning, Captain," Ra'al said through his speakers.

"Yes, it is, Commander. And good morning to you," I replied.

"The shielding equipment is inside my carrying compartment, Captain," Ra'al said. I figured out the door mechanism and pulled out a small box with a container holding smaller parts, which I handed Chet with a smile. "We brought a couple of technicians to help integrate it into your system."

"Thank you, Commander. That would be most helpful," I said. "Merry Christmas, Chet," I told my Chief Engineer, who responded with a forced smile.

"I suppose I can't ever say you never gave me anything, Captain," Chet joked ruefully.

"Nope, you can't. You do this, and I'll owe you a steak dinner with all the trimmings," I told him, knowing his fondness for grilled steaks.

"Damn right you will," Chet said, adding the obligatory "sir" after an awkward moment. I knew he was being sarcastic, but I also detected a hint of frustration. This was way beyond anything he had ever dealt with - splicing an unknown alien component into his beloved ship that he knew every centimeter of. Part of me felt bad about putting this on him, but I promised myself I would make it worth his while if he succeeded. I left the shuttle bay, Ra'al at my side.

"I am not familiar with your protocol. How should I address you, Captain?" Ra'al asked.

"Generally speaking, you can either address me as 'Captain' or 'sir.' When it's just the two of us, though, you may refer to me by the familiar form of my name, Bill."

"Then you may refer to me as either 'Commander' or 'Ra'al,' if you wish... Bill," the plant-being said from his cart. "This is an impressive vessel. Your species has come a long way in a short time interval."

"Thank you, Ra'al," I said. "I'm sure it's nothing compared to the Tere."

"Do not underestimate yourself, Bill," Ra'al replied. "To be honest, I am quite impressed with the way you and your crew have dealt with our initial meeting. First contact between species can be quite... challenging. We have had our share of successes and failures in that area. Fortunately the failures have been few."

"As I have recently discovered," I remarked.

"I see that Commander Mishita has become quite... close... with your Commander Decker," Ra'al said. The delicate nature of his comment even came through his speakers.

"I believe the feeling is mutual," I told him.

"Mutual? I do not quite understand."

"He has become close to her as well," I said.

"Yes, they do seem to be genetically compatible. I hope this is not what you may call a... short fling. I have worked with her for some time now, and would not like to see her hurt. She is like a fellow seedling to me."

"You mean, like a sister?" I asked.

"Sister?" Ra'al asked, confused. "Ah, I understand. A female seedling produced by one's parental units. Yes, I think you could say that."

"I have heard him refer to her as his queen," I said. "He tells me that is a term of endearment among your people."

"And he is right. That is a good sign. Perhaps there may be a mating ritual after all."

"Are you married, Ra'al?" I asked.

"You mean mated? Yes, I am. To a delightfully smooth creature named Harmonia. She is humanoid, like Mishita, and works in our mapping department. We have been mated for several cycles now."

"Any, uh, seedlings yet?" I asked, trying to use terms he would understand.

"Not yet, but we remain hopeful," Ra'al said. We reached the bridge, and I let Ra'al enter first. The bridge crew looked at Ra'al, but none expressed surprise or shock when they saw the plant-being. I took that as a good sign.

"Sir, there's an incoming flash communication from Starbase One. Admiral Simmons," the duty comm officer said.

"Very well. Patch it into my ready room, please," I said.

"Yes, sir," the female lieutenant said.

"Why don't you join me, Commander?" I asked Ra'al.

"Very well, Captain," Ra'al responded. I smiled internally, realizing that Ra'al remembered to call me by my rank in front of the crew.

"Commander Travers, you have the conn."

"Yes, sir," Elizabeth responded. I went into the ready room, with Ra'al close behind. I sat at my desk as he took a position next to me. Engaging the video monitor, I saw Alan with an older, impeccably-dressed man.

"Captain Jones here, Admiral. This is Commander Ra'al, Executive Officer of the Gingravik Cruiser Tere," I said.

"Good morning, Captain. Commander. It is a pleasure to meet you. I'm Admiral Simmons. This is Tsod, Ambassador to the Gingravik Prefect of Earth."

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Ambassador," I said. The older man smiled as he looked from Ra'al to me.

"It is a distinct pleasure to meet you as well, Captain. I have waited more than 90 years to see this. Native Gingravik and native humans work side by side. You have no idea how this makes me feel. My only regret is that the Queen Mother did not live long enough to see this for herself," Tsod said. Ninety years? How old is this man? He didn't look more than 70 years old to me. I reflected briefly that my preconceived notions and subconscious biases were getting a pretty good workout every day.

"I have heard of this Queen Tere," I said. "She sounds like an extraordinary woman."

"Yes, Captain, she was. Her passing has affected us all. But, as you say, life goes on."

"Indeed. What can we do for you, Ambassador?" I asked. Tsod looked at Alan, who nodded his head.

"We have reviewed the information you provided, and the report we received from the IGS Tere. After consulting with our local intelligence resources, we agree with your assessment. From what we learned, Senator Jacoby has been in touch with Mr'rk operatives for some time, and we believe he may be attempting to acquire a shipment of quadrillium for his own purposes," Tsod said.

"You mean he intends to present it as a form of clean energy?" I asked.

"He may," Tsod said. "But we believe he has other... nefarious... purposes in mind. Military purposes, to be precise."

"Oh?" I asked. I suddenly had a sinking feeling but chided myself for it. Was there any technology, material, or idea in the galaxy that wasn't potentially 'dual-use' - commercial or military?

"Yes, Bill," Alan interjected. "From what the Ambassador tells me, this quadrillium can make plutonium-based weapons look like mere firecrackers. That's why he never introduced it to Earth. We're talking potential planet-busters in the wrong hands."

"It is vital that you do not let this Jacoby get his hands on quadrillium, Captain," Tsod added.

"And the Darnok?" I asked.

"They are a dangerous nuisance to our recovery operations, and any assistance you can provide would be most... appreciated, Captain. Believe me when I tell you that I speak for the Emperor and the entire High Council on this," Tsod said.

"What about Jacoby and the quadrillium?" I asked.

"The Ambassador and I are working with the intelligence community on that, Captain," Alan said. "I can't say any more than that right now. Opsec, you know."

"Yes, sir," I replied.

"In the meantime, you are directed to continue working with our Gingravik friends to neutralize the Darnok, and if necessary, any Mr'rk vessel that attempts to interfere with your operation," Alan said.

"Yes, sir," I replied, acknowledging Alan's command.

"Just... be careful out there, Bill. I want you and Enterprise back home safe and sound. That's all for now. Carry on." The video began to glitch, and I knew our window was closing. Before I could respond, the connection was lost, and the monitor was filled with static. I turned the monitor off and looked at Ra'al.

"What are we up against, Commander?" I asked.

"The Mr'rk are an aggressive group, Captain," Ra'al said. "I have only encountered them once before and it wasn't a pleasant experience."

"Is your ship armed?" I asked.

"Only with shields and light defensive weaponry. We are not an aggressive race, Captain. The Tere can create a dampening field over the planet, but that only affects artificially-created power. It is similar to what was done during the war on Earth," Ra'al said.

"Could this dampening field be deployed against an attacking craft?"

"It would require a great deal of engineering to make it work. The field is created by first deploying small satellites around or over the target," Ra'al explained.

"I suppose we'll just have to figure something else out," I said. "C'mon, let's get back to the bridge." We left the ready room, and I busied myself with all the daily reports as Ra'al familiarized himself with the layout of our bridge. I smiled as I watched the crew explain their tasks to him and knew Jim was probably getting the same treatment on the Tere.