White Turrets

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She had scarcely looked at him; she was thinking so much of Winifred and Lennox, that she was quite indifferent about her own fate, and Mr Fancourt, a good-natured man, whose rather limited ideas were entirely absorbed by admiration for his wife, soon gave her up as decidedly dull and heavy. Celia did not care--she had plenty to think of and plenty to amuse herself with; she was rather glad when her monosyllables resulted in Mr Fancourt's directing his attentions to the woman on his other side. And one or two courses had been removed before a voice on her right hand startled her into realising that she had a neighbour in that quarter too.

"Miss Maryon, what are you thinking about so intently?" were the words she heard. "I have been watching you for quite five minutes--you are in a regular brown study."

Celia started, then smiled, and, finally, as she became satisfied that Eric--for it was he--was not really shocked at her, could not repress a little laugh.

"I am so sorry," she said. "Why didn't you speak to me before? I didn't even know you were there."

"So I saw--at least, I hoped it was so--that there was no special motive in the resolute way in which you turned a cold shoulder upon me, and--"

"No," said Celia, laughing again, "my shoulders are not at all cold, thank you. This part of the room is delightfully out of any draught."

"And," continued Eric, "fixed your eyes upon the flowers in front of you, and let your thoughts wander to--No! that I can't guess. I wonder where they were wandering to."

CHAPTER THREE.

AT THE DINNER-TABLE.

"Not very far," said Celia, smiling, and colouring a little. "I was very much entertained by watching all the people round the table, and perhaps I was thinking mostly of poor old Len."

Eric looked across in young Maryon's direction.

"Why do you say `_poor_ old Len'?" he inquired. "I think he's quite happy. Mrs Fancourt seems to be drawing him out beautifully."

Celia glanced at her companion doubtfully.

"Do you really think so?" she asked, "or are you saying it to--to draw me out?"

"I really think so, and I don't need to draw you out," he replied. "I know exactly what you mean about Lennox, and--you needn't pity him. It will be all right."

"Oh, I am afraid not," said Celia. "I'm afraid it will never come right. I didn't know you knew about it, but as you do--no," and her voice dropped almost to a whisper, "Winifred will _never_ care for him. I see it more and more, and now she is thinking all sorts of things-- quite differently, you know."

"Indeed," said Eric, raising his eyebrows in inquiry, "do you mean--is there--some other more fortunate person in the field?"

"No, no, not that at all," said Celia. "Winifred has much higher ideas than most girls. She wants to make a path for herself--to feel that she is doing something with her life--and she must be right. Why should girls be condemned to do and be nothing? A young man without a profession is always considered the greatest mistake. Why should women be forced into leading idle and useless lives?"

"They never should be," said Eric, "I quite agree with you. But there are considerations: if a girl _does_ marry, you will allow that she finds her work cut out for her--her vocation or profession, or whatever you like to call it. And I do not think any woman has a right to cast herself adrift from the _chances_ of marrying, so to say; she should allow herself fair-play."

Celia gave her head the tiniest of tosses. "Winifred does not want to marry, and she is old enough to judge," she said. "I don't deny--well, honestly, I should have been very happy if she had married Lennox, that is to say; if she could have cared for him. It would have pleased a good many people, and--did you ever hear the legend of White Turrets?" she went on, dropping her voice, and looking half-frightened at herself.

"No," said Eric, with interest. "I've heard something about its being haunted, like nearly all very old houses, but I never heard of any legend."

"Ah, well, there is one. It and the ghost are mixed up together," said Celia, still in a slightly awe-struck tone. "It--_she_ is supposed to be the spirit of an ancestress of ours, who was cruelly treated because she had no son. She had two or three daughters, and she died soon after the last was born, and she left a sort of a curse. No," with a little shudder, "I don't like to call it that. It was more like a--"

"A prophecy," suggested Eric.

"Yes," said Celia, her face clearing, "it was more like that. It was to warn her descendants that the luck, so to say, should run in the female line, and that whenever a man was the owner of the place, the Maryons might--"

"Look out for squalls," Eric could not resist adding.

Celia glanced at him half indignantly.

"If you're laughing at me," she said, "I won't tell it you."

"I beg your pardon, I do really," he said, penitently. "It was only that I did not like to see you looking so solemn about it."

"I can't help it," said the girl, simply. "It always makes me a little frightened, though I know it's silly. Winifred gets quite vexed if it is mentioned. She says it is contemptible nonsense. Louise believes it, but she is so good, it doesn't frighten her. Still, for other reasons, we seldom allude to it. It has come so true, over and over again: I could tell you lots of things. Papa, you know, has had heaps of trouble. Poor papa, just think what a life of endurance his is! So you see if--if Winifred could have married Lennox (he is our second-cousin, you know), it would have done so well--keeping the old name, and she being the owner of the place."

"I see," said young Balderson.

"Or even if she could have been a more ordinary sort of girl, content to settle down at home," Celia went on, "for--" and here the frightened look came over her face again--"there's more in the legend: the worst luck of all is to come if a woman of the family deserts her post. And once a rather flighty great-grand-aunt of ours _did_--she couldn't live at home, because she thought it was a dull part of the country, and she came up to London, and travelled about to amuse herself, and all _sorts_ of things happened."

"Did burglars break in, or was the house burnt down, or--?" began Eric, but Celia interrupted him.

"You are laughing at me again," she said reproachfully. "No, it was worse than that. Her son turned out very badly, and was killed in a duel, and her daughter died, and they lost a lot of money, and in the end it came to our grandmother, you see, whose husband took the name Maryon. But the family has never been so well off since."

"And in the face of all those warnings, your sister persists--no, what is it she wants to do or not to do?" said the young man, looking rather perplexed. "The ghost can't bully her for not marrying a man she doesn't care for, surely? I thought better of ghosts than that!"

"No, it's not that. It is that she wants to leave home and make a career for herself. And I admire her for it. That's why we were so pleased to come here: we want to find out about a lot of things."

Eric looked really grave.

"Why is your sister not content to stay at home?" he inquired. "Even if she were a man, there are men whose vocation it is not to have a profession, whose work and duties are there, all ready for them. Is it not much the same with Miss Maryon, considering your father's illness, and all there must be to look after?"

His hearer seemed surprised and almost startled. There are aspects of our daily life, ways of looking at our surroundings, with which we might long have been familiar--commonplace, matter-of-fact reflections, requiring no special genius of discrimination to call them forth--which, nevertheless when put into words by an outsider, strike us with extraordinary effect. Almost do they come upon us with the force of a revelation.

So was it just now with Celia Maryon. As she took in the full bearing of young Balderson's observations, she felt more and more struck by them. She looked up in his face with a strange cloud in her eyes, and Eric himself felt surprised. He imagined that he had somehow or other hurt or offended her.

"I beg your pardon," he began, "if--Of course I would not be so presumptuous as to suppose I could judge of the circumstances."

Celia smiled. She would be true to her colours at any cost, and her colours meant her sister Winifred. The truth was that she was at a loss how to reply; she had never looked at things in this light before. She wanted to think it all over quietly by herself, but she was not going to allow this to any one else.

"No," she said, "of course you can't judge. You don't know Winifred, or what there is in her. My other sister, Louise, is the home one. She is not nearly so clever as Winifred, but she does pretty well. The bailiff isn't bad, though I'm afraid he's going to leave, and old Mr Peckerton, the lawyer, comes over if he's wanted. Things _go_ on in a groovy, old-fashioned way, but, oh, no! Winifred could never find her life-work in these directions."

And again Celia smiled, a superior, almost contemptuous little smile this time. Her own words half-persuaded herself that she had been foolish to be so impressed by the young man's scarcely conscious remonstrance.

"Ah, of course I can't pretend to judge," he repeated, and the modesty of his tone encouraged her to say a little more, to stifle her own misgivings as much as to keep up her sister's dignity.

"Winifred is intended for a larger life altogether," she said. "And there are three of us at home. People are beginning to see the facts about women's lives differently. Why should we be condemned to trivial idleness? Look how some have thrown off the trammels! There is Miss Norreys, for instance. Could you imagine _her_ spending her life in ordering legs of mutton and darning stockings?"

"No," said Eric simply, "I couldn't. And I don't think any woman's life need be, or should be, so dull and narrow. But still, Hertha Norreys is not a fair example. She has a gift, an undoubted gift. I think its greatness is scarcely yet recognised by herself or others; perhaps it never will be. But still she has not ignored it. She felt she had a talent and she was bound to cultivate it, and she has done so. In her case there was no choice."

Celia looked interested.

"I am glad you allow _that_, at any rate," she said, and glancing at her, the young man almost fancied that she blushed a little. "Of course _I_ think cleverness like Winifred's a gift, but I can understand ordinary people not looking upon it as if she had a great talent for music, or--or painting. It is easier when you have the one distinct power. Now there is Lady Campion. Your mother seems to think her so talented, but she has not concentrated her talents."

"No," said Eric, drily, "she certainly has not."

"And," pursued Celia, "she is married. She shouldn't have married if she wanted to _be_ something."

"But perhaps she didn't, or, at least, not what you call `something.' She thinks herself very much `something' or `somebody,' and her marriage has certainly not stood in her light." Celia hesitated.

"You don't like Lady Campion?" she said, abruptly.

"Oh yes, I do," he replied, lightly. "She's by no means a bad sort of woman," he went on, hastily. Celia was not the kind of girl to whom it seemed natural to talk slang. "But she wouldn't have been half what she is if she hadn't married. The best of her, in my humble opinion, comes out as a wife. I like to see her with her husband. She recognises his superiority."

"Oh dear," thought Celia, "what a man's way of putting it!"

"For he really is a first-rate fellow in his own line. And she is not a genius, though she is--oh yes! she is--clever, though sometimes she makes herself just a little ridiculous."

Celia did not speak. This was again a new light to her. She felt confused. She had pictured Lady Campion quite differently, somehow, and she felt sure Winifred had done the same, pitying her for having married and thus rashly clipped her wings.

"She--Lady Campion--admires Miss Norreys exceedingly," said Celia, after a little silence. "That should be a bond between you, for I can see you admire her exceedingly too."

Eric looked somewhat surprised. The young girl had more perception than he had given her credit for.

"Yes," he said, "I do. I admire her very much indeed. As an artist, I place her more highly than might be generally thought reasonable, and, as a woman, yes, I admire her too, and respect her, except for--"

"What?" asked Celia, eagerly.

"I cannot tell you," he answered. "I was going to say that, as a woman, there is one direction in which I cannot admire her. But I cannot explain more fully, and perhaps I may have misjudged her. She is one in whom it would be difficult to believe there existed any of the weaknesses that one finds in smaller characters."

This was high praise. Celia's interest in Hertha grew with every word.

"I wish I knew her," she said, earnestly. "I should so like to meet her."

Her words reached the ears of her companion on the other side. Mr Fancourt was beginning to feel as if he had had about enough of the neighbour--a talkative woman of forty or thereabouts, well up in the topics of the day, and of his own small section of the world in particular--on his left, whom hitherto he had deliberately chosen in preference to the pretty young creature on his right. And now, with the calm _insouciance_ of an experienced diner-out, he turned to Celia.

"There must be more in her than I suspected," he said to himself. "She seems to have succeeded in making Balderson talk, and he can be pretty heavy in hand when it doesn't suit him to be lively."

"You are speaking of Miss Norreys, are you not?" he asked. The name had caught his attention, and, when Celia bowed in response--"Yes, she is charming," he went on. "It is curious: I have found myself thinking of her two or three times during dinner. There is a certain something which I cannot define, which reminds me of her in that girl on the other side of the table--nearer our host--yes," as he followed Celia's eyes, "the girl next but one to my wife. You know _her_, Mrs Fancourt, by sight--in pale green? No?" (He thought everybody knew his wife.) "Ah, well, you know her now."

"She is very pretty," said Celia, simply.

"I cannot contradict you," he said, with a well-pleased smile, which made Celia think that, after all, he must be rather a nice man--she liked husbands who thought their wives very pretty--and disposed her to question the truth of Winifred's sweeping assertion that conjugal affection was never to be found among "smart" people. "But," continued Mr Fancourt, "look at the girl I mentioned--the girl in black. Do you see the slight something--scarcely resemblance--about her, which recalls Miss Norreys?"

In her turn Celia now smiled with pleasure.

"She is my sister," she replied. "She will be delighted when she hears what you say. No, I don't think it would have struck me that there was any likeness. But I daresay there _is_ some likeness in character. My sister is very self-reliant and--and--dauntless. And I should think there is something of that about Miss Norreys."

Having found a topic of interest, the rest of the dinner passed pleasantly enough, and Mr Fancourt felt that doing his duty had not been the arduous task he had anticipated.

But it was her conversation with Eric Balderson which left its mark on Celia's mind.

"Oh, Celia," said Winifred, when she managed to get her sister to herself for a moment in the drawing-room, "I feel in a new world. Mr Sunningdale has been talking to me so delightfully, so _perfectly_. All my intuitions about the larger, wider life I should find in London are being realised. How narrow our small home-world seems in comparison! I told Mr Sunningdale something of what I am hoping to do, and I can see he sympathised in my longing to throw off the narrow trammels we have been brought up in. People here have much wider ideas!"

"You must have made friends very quickly," said Celia.

In her tone there was not the complete and responsive sympathy which she was, as a rule, eagerly ready to give to her sister. She could not help it. A slight chill of doubt, of questioning of the perfect wisdom of Winifred's theories, had been, though unintentionally, cast over her. But the elder Miss Maryon was too excited and enthusiastic to perceive it, and this Celia was glad to see. For, after all, the faintest idea of disagreement with Winifred's opinions or judgment was extraordinary and unnatural to her.

"Yes," said Winifred, "we did. But it does not need time to make friends when people are sympathetic. Mr Sunningdale has evidently thought out all the great questions of the day about women most thoroughly."

She looked so bright and happy, so handsome and almost brilliant, that her younger sister gazed in loving admiration.

"Dear Winifred," she said to herself. "No wonder Mr Sunningdale or Mr Anybody admires her when she looks like that. I do feel sorry for dear old Lennox though."

Poor Mr Sunningdale! Much had been credited to him which he would have been greatly astonished to hear of. He was, as has been said, a kind-hearted and eminently good-natured man; a man, too, who not only had a special line of distinction, but was above the smallness of being ashamed of talking about what he really understood. And Winifred Maryon was certainly intelligent enough to be a good listener, all of which explains the two having "got on so well." It was not, to do her justice, till towards the end of dinner that Winifred ventured to allude to her aspirations. And the great man, gratified, as even great men can be, by the enthusiastic admiration--or veneration--in the girl's bright eyes, listened--how could he have done less?--to her confidences, with here and there a word or smile of kindly, half-amused encouragement. Though, truth to tell, the subject matter of these same confidences, if it did not go in at one ear to come out at the other, left but the vaguest and most fleeting impression behind it.

"Pretty girl--handsome rather than pretty--intelligent, too, but rather bitten by the advanced ideas of the day. She'll settle down when she's married," was his commentary upon her to his hostess. "An heiress, did you say? All the better, if she falls into good hands."

And if Mrs Balderson had begun to build air-castles as to the possible consequences of her introduction--Winifred being, as she expressed it, "just the sort of girl to prefer a man a good deal older than herself"-- they speedily fell to the ground. Mr Sunningdale had a history: the not uncommon one of an adored girl-wife dead almost before he had realised she was his. And, despite the cynicism which many declared lay beneath his surface good-nature, there was something deeper down still. He was not the man to dream of a second marriage.

Nor, as we know, were Miss Maryon's ideas likely to turn the least in such "commonplace" directions.

The results of this first taste of London society were, however, to all appearance, eminently satisfactory. Winifred, as she bade her kind hostess good-night, was profuse in her thanks for the delightful evening she had spent. And if Celia's pretty eyes had a slight shadow over them, it could only have been that she was a little tired, thought the good woman.

"You took care of her at dinner, I hope, Eric?" she said to her son, who had been known to be afflicted with fits of absence on social occasions of the kind.

"Oh dear, yes. We got on capitally, like a house on fire," he replied, cordially. "I was so much obliged to you for giving me Celia to look after instead of her sister. I can't stand that other girl, and I think Lennox a lucky fellow to be out of it."