Widower Invites Refugees Into Home

Story Info
Widower invites Ukrainian family women into his home.
7k words
14.3k
20
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author Note: This is NOT a gruesome war story. The war in Ukraine and COVID and climate change are depressing, so I wanted to write an uplifting story about people helping each other. The first chapter explains the brutality that caused a family to flee, but it's short, and the rest is about people helping each other.

==================================

Alina (mother) :

Most of the people that fled Ukraine when Russia invaded were women and children. Our men stayed behind to fight.

My mother, Ivanna, and two daughters, Nataliya (18) and Daniela (5) and I, had already moved from a city in eastern Ukraine after it fell to the Russians. We moved west to Lviv, a city close to the Polish border, where many Ukrainians fled, hoping to wait out the war and return home later. But Russia kept moving west, bombing cities until one day my mom said we needed to move. My mom had a strong sense of women's intuition. Some said she was psychic, so I trusted her hunches. I assumed she meant we needed to leave soon, but she looked alarmed and said we needed to depart immediately.

We gathered up our meager possessions and caught the train to Poland. The next day we heard the shelter we were staying at had been bombed. It could have been us. We could have been dead.

Most Ukrainians fled to surrounding countries like Poland, Moldavia, and Romania. From there, some went to other countries further west, like Germany. The plan was to return when the fighting was over, and hopefully, our men would still be alive. In my case, there was no man to return to. My husband had died from cancer, and my dad died many years ago, and Nataliya was unattached.

My mom didn't think Putin would stop in Ukraine. She thought he was crazy and would keep moving west and didn't think any east European countries were safe.

We hoped to go to America but it was tough to get in. Then one night, mom summoned us and pointed at a map. She pointed at a small place in Canada, above Maine, called New Brunswick. I'd never heard of it, but mom was having one of her 'feelings,' so Nataliya and I started looking into Canada. To our surprise, there was no limit on how many Ukrainians could go to Canada. Nataliya got excited when she learned New Brunswick was bilingual with English and French speakers because Nataliya spoke French. I questioned the usefulness of her taking French in college, but I wasn't questioning her choice now. One of us would understand what was being said. The rest of us spoke Russian because people in eastern Ukraine were by the Russian border, and spoke Russian.

We got even more excited when we learned that individual Canadians could sponsor immigrants, and someone in the location mom pointed out had applied to sponsor a family from Ukraine. Mom gave us one of her 'knowing' smiles.

Nataliya filled out the government application form in French, and we were accepted. A week later, we arrived. Thank god! No more bombs and hopefully no more Russians!

====================================

Ed:

Sofie had been dead for a year, but it didn't feel like it because she visited me regularly. Or, it seemed like she did.

I was devastated when she went to the doctor's office and was told she had cancer and it had spread through her body. She was dead weeks later.

But I was a life-long lucid dreamer, which meant that I could control my dreams, and Sofie began to appear in my dreams, clear as day, after she died. Was it just lucid dreaming, or was she really visiting from the other side? I didn't know or care. It FELT like she was there, and her presence comforted me. It was like she wasn't dead. She told me she was in a good place, and it was a lifesaver being able to see her and hear her voice.

I was upset when I started seeing the images of Russia invading Ukraine. The pictures of women and kids fleeing and being killed were horrible, and I wanted to help in some way.

One night, Sofie appeared and told me I should sponsor a Ukrainian family. She always had a big heart, and the Canadian government was trying to welcome Ukrainian refugees. I was reluctant because I'm an introvert, and it would be weird having strangers who didn't speak English in my house. But I had a big empty house, and Sofie was persistent. Eventually, she convinced me, or my conscience did.

So, I put my name in at the local government office. Nothing happened at first, but then I was informed that a Ukrainian family of four women had applied to move to New Brunswick. Four women! I had a panic attack, but Sofie visited me that night and assured me I could handle it. Then she grinned and told me she'd gifted me with a present and vanished without an explanation. POOF! Gone! I hated it when she did that!

I waited nervously at the Fredericton airport. Four women! Holy shit! I could barely handle one! I made a big sign with their names in large letters. Ivanna was in her late sixties, and Alina was her daughter and was around my age. Nataliya and Daniela were Alina's daughters.

The Fredricton airport is small, and it didn't take long for them to emerge. They saw my sign, and the teenage girl (Nataliya) smiled and headed toward me.

I was surprised. Nataliya looked like a typical Canadian teenage girl (she was eighteen). But Daniela was a little girl. Maybe five? Having a second daughter that many years apart must have been quite a surprise! Sofie and I tried to have kids but couldn't. Apparently, I was shooting blanks.

The female genes must have been dominant in their family because you could tell they were all related. They were all blondes with similar facial structures. All of them were attractive. Even the grandma had aged well. She was older but still had an appealing face.

Nataliya greeted me in French. I was from a bilingual part of the province, and Sofie was French Canadian, and my parents were bilingual, so speaking French was effortless although I'd never heard a Russian French accent, but she was easy to understand.

I shook their hands, and when I got to the grandma, she pulled me in for a long hug and then smiled at me with tears in her eyes which made me feel good and reduced my anxiety over having new people in my life.

When I shook the little girl's hand, she grinned at me and said, 'Hello. My name is Daniela' in perfect English. I was surprised because I didn't think any of them spoke English.

========================================

Nataliya:

I was pleased when Ed was able to understand my Ukrainian French. It was one thing to take it at school but another to actually speak to someone. Mom didn't want me to take French at school. She said it was a waste of time and questioned where I would use it. Wrong!

Ed looked like he was mom's age. He was around six feet tall and had on jeans and work boots and a plaid wool lumberjack coat. His hands were strong and calloused when he shook my hand, and there wasn't an ounce of fat on him. His face was weathered but ruggedly handsome.

Grandma got all emotional when Ed shook her hand and gave him a long hug, and her eyes were teary when she pulled back, which was unusual for her, but we'd been through a lot, and maybe she was grateful to finally be safe.

Ed drove a large pickup truck with big tires. Mom and I and Daniela sat in the back seat, and grandma sat in the front with Ed. I had to laugh. The truck was a mess! The inside was dusty and full of crap. It reminded me of my ex-boyfriend's truck. Guys!

I was pleasantly surprised when Ed had some coffee and donuts from a place called Tim Horton's. It hit the spot after our long plane ride.

It didn't take long for the city to fade away, and we were quickly off the main highway, and then we were on a dirt road. Evergreen trees surrounded us. Then we came around a bend and were at Ed's place. It was out in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of a forest. His house was awesome-looking. It was two stories with lots of windows and wood and looked like a chalet.

He carried our bags, and the house looked even cooler inside. It was all wood with huge structural beams supporting the ceiling. It was very rustic looking, but you could tell a woman had lived here. Ed's wife must have had good taste. Or maybe Ed did. I looked at Ed's clothing again. Naw! It was his wife!

The minute we entered, I smelled food, and it smelled delicious! The main floor was open concept, and I could see a kitchen table loaded with food. Then an older man came into the room carrying more food. He looked like he was grandma's age. When he saw us, he smiled and started speaking fluent Russian. I almost fell over in surprise, and mom and grandma's eyes lit up when he started talking to them.

Wow! Ed and I could speak in French, and Ed knew someone that spoke Russian, and we were in a neat house with great food. Then I spotted Vodka and beer and wine on the table. This was definitely my type of place!

Ed's friend's name was Ivan, and it turned out that he grew up in Poland, and his mom was Russian, so he spoke Polish and Russian, and English fluently. Ivan was quite the charmer and chatted away in Russian and kept filling our glasses. Ed seemed content to let Ivan do the talking, and I saw him looking at mom.

All of a sudden, the long day caught up with us, and Ed showed us to our bedrooms. Daniela and I shared a bed in one room, and mom and grandma shared a bed in another room.

Our rooms smelled like cedar. The scent was calming. I looked outside my window, and it was pitch dark and very quiet. No bombs or sirens were going off. For the first time in a long time, I felt safe and dozed off to a night of blissful warm sleep.

========================

Daniela:

I had a good night's sleep because Mr. Ed's bed was very warm and soft, and my tummy was full from all the good food he made for us.

But I stubbed my toe in the night because I drank too much juice at supper and had to go pee and tripped over something in the dark. My toe hurt a lot then, but it's okay now.

I nudged Nataliya to wake up, but she told me to get lost. She said her head hurt. I think she drank too much. Well, I wasn't going to wait for her! I wanted to get going!

I looked out the bedroom window and was surprised to see a lake outside which I didn't notice last night because it was dark when we arrived. Mr. Ed's house was on a small lake, and there was a dock and a canoe, and a larger boat with a motor.

I got dressed and hurried downstairs, but mommy and grandma were still sleeping, and only Mr. Ed was there.

There was some food on the table, but I was too excited to eat. I wanted to go outside and walk to the end of the dock. I asked Mr. Ed, but he didn't seem to understand what I was saying, which was odd because he understood what I said when I greeted him last night.

Oh, well! I opened the door and pointed at the dock for his permission, and he nodded yes.

The air outside smelled nice. It was cool and fresh smelling, and I took a deep breath and went to the dock.

I walked to the end, looked around, and hoped Mr. Ed would take me for a boat ride sometime. Then a fish jumped out of the water and startled me, and I stumbled and slipped. Nataliya said I was clumsy, but I wasn't! Anyway, my foot slipped, and I lost my balance and might have fallen into the water, but Mr. Ed caught me. I didn't even know he was behind me. Whew!

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yes, thanks! A fish jumped out of the water right beside me!"

He smiled. "Yes, the lake is full of fish. Do you fish?"

"No, We lived in a city, and there was no fishing, but I'd like to! Could we go out in one of the boats and fish sometime?"

Mr. Ed smiled. "Sure! I'll take you out this weekend. Okay?"

That pleased me. "Okay!"

Mr. Ed said he had to go to work to deal with a problem and told me to tell mommy and grandma and Nataliya that Ivan would be over around ten to take us shopping.

He seemed to understand everything I was saying again, and I understood him.

=================================

Alina:

"Mommy, Mr. Ed said he had to deal with a problem at work, and Ivan would visit at ten to take us shopping."

"I saw you talking with Ed outside."

"Yes, I went to the dock, and then a fish jumped out and startled me, and I almost fell into the water. Mr. Ed caught me. He told me he would take me fishing this weekend."

Hmmm! I was puzzled how Ed and Daniela could understand each other. I thought he didn't speak Russian.

"Did Ed speak to you in Russian?"

Daniela cocked her head in thought. "Hmm! I think so! I mean, he must have because I don't understand English. Anyway, Ivan will be here soon to take us shopping."

A few minutes later, there was a knock on the door, and Ivan entered.

"Good morning, ladies! I hope you slept well. I know I'm a bit early, so take your time. I'm retired, and there is no rush."

"What did you do for a living?" Alina asked.

"I worked for Ed's dad, who had a lumber business. He gave me a job when my family emigrated from Poland. Ed took over the company when his dad died."

"Did you speak English when you first arrived?"

"Nope. Just Polish and Russian."

I sighed. "I can't imagine learning English! It sounds like jibberish to my ears."

Ivan smiled. "It was like that for me too, but I gradually picked it up."

"Yes, but you were younger. I'm forty-three!"

"True, but I can help, and there are tons of internet language courses."

I sighed again. "I don't have a computer. We don't have anything! Just the clothes on our backs!"

Ivan smiled. "Well, that's why we're going shopping so that you can get what you need. And Ed bought something that should help."

"What?"

Ivan handed me an iPad loaded in Russian.

"Ed bought this for us?"

"Yup! And he configured it to use Russian, and it's connected to his wifi. It's ready to use."

"Wow! That's very nice of him!"

"Ed's a nice guy! I've known him since he was little. He's like a son. He also asked me to give you this."

"What is it?"

Ivan grinned. "Take a look!"

Holy crap! It was a credit card with my name on it.

"It has a balance of five thousand, which should get you going."

"FIVE THOUSAND?"

"Well, I don't think you'll need it today, but it never hurts to have it!"

I was shocked and amazed and couldn't wait to get going. Mom gave me one of her smug smiles at having chosen New Brunswick.

The town was only about ten minutes away, and we loaded up on food and clothes and other supplies. I felt guilty using Ed's money, but Ivan told me not to worry.

"Ed wants to make your transition as easy as possible, and he has lots of money. His lumber business is doing quite well. In fact, he's raking in money from high lumber prices. He's had to turn down business because he can't get enough good workers. If you want to pay him back, volunteer to do the cooking and laundry. You don't want Ed feeding you! He's a terrible cook! And you don't want him touching your clothes! He washes everything on one setting and mixes colors together. Sofie used to do the cooking and cleaning and laundry."

"Sofie?"

"Sofie was his wife. She died last year from cancer."

"Oh no! That's terrible! My husband died of cancer as well. Ed never mentioned it in his correspondence with Nataliya."

"He wouldn't. He's the silent type and has been withdrawn last year, but your arrival has brought him out of his shell. He's excited, and your presence will be good for him. Plus, he always wanted kids, but it didn't work out. I know he was excited when he saw you had a little girl."

Mom asked Ivan if there was a place where she could buy some vegetable seeds. She had a green thumb and liked to get plants started indoors and then transfer them outside when the weather got warmer. Ivan took us to a store that sold seeds, and mom and Daniela excitedly picked out different types. The green thumb bypassed me, but Daniela loved helping her grandma garden.

Mom looked at Ivan. "Can we have chickens?"

"I'm not sure, but I don't see why not. We live in the country, and all the neighbors are far enough away that no one will see or hear anything."

Mom looked pleased and asked where we could get some baby chicks. Ivan didn't know but said he'd look into it. A huge smile spread across mom's face. When I grew up in the country, we had chickens but couldn't have them in our city apartment.

I remembered to ask Ivan about Ed's language abilities.

"Does Ed speak Russian?"

"Not that I'm aware of."

Hmmm! Strange.

Nataliya asked Ivan about work.

"You said Ed needs workers. Does he hire females? Would he hire me?"

"Well, your French is good enough to get by, and the government is encouraging companies to hire Ukrainian refugees. He does have a female office worker, but I think it's mostly guys in the field, and it's hard physical work."

"I'm used to hard work!"

Ivan smiled. "Then ask him! The worst that will happen is he'll say no."

We decided that day how we'd contribute. Mom would feed us, and I would do the cleaning and the laundry, and Nataliya would ask Ed for a job. And Daniela would get to be a normal little girl, go to school, and not worry about bombs dropping.

We headed home, and mom began to cook up a storm.

Ed smiled when he entered the house.

"Something smells delicious!"

Mom grinned as she laid out a spread fit for a king.

=========================================

Nataliya:

Ivan mentioned to Ed that I was interested in a job. Then Ed mentioned to mom, with Ivan translating, that he was anxious about hiring me in case things didn't work out, and it caused bad feelings. But, mom said I was a good worker and convinced Ed to hire me, which he did. Yay, mom! It probably didn't hurt that I often saw Ed peaking at mom!

But I had to get my license first because doing just about anything required driving. I already knew how to drive from Ukraine, so I studied the French version of the New Brunswick driver manual, Ivan took me out driving, and Ed paid for two driving training courses. And then I passed my test! Who-hoo! I could drive!

Ed hired me, and I became a 'gopher' which meant that I did anything Ed and others asked me to. Most of it was menial stuff like getting coffee and donuts, picking up supplies, delivering things, etc. But I didn't care. I'd only been in Canada for a short time and already had a license and a job! I even got to drive one of Ed's company trucks. It was an old clunker and filthy inside, but I cleaned it up and took great pride in having a vehicle of my own!

I gradually met Ed's workers. They were all guys, and most of them were younger, and some were hot-looking and single. They had drinks after work on Friday and didn't seem to mind me being there. I always dressed nicer on Friday!

The weather was getting warmer, and grandma and Daniela were excited about their plants, which were ready to transplant outside, but grandma was concerned because the soil at Ed's house was rocky. Grandma mentioned it to Ivan, who mentioned it to Ed, and then Ed told me to take care of it. Grandma said I should make a frame out of cedar wood because it was water-resistant and non-toxic. I bought the wood and nailed it together to make a frame twelve inches high. Then I took my pickup truck to get some topsoil using mom's credit card and filled in the frame. It was a LOT of shoveling, but I was proud of myself when I finished, and grandma was very pleased and hugged me. She said the dirt I got was excellent. Grandma and Daniela planted their seedlings the next day.

The same process occurred for grandma's chicken coop. Grandma told Ivan, who told Ed, who told me to make it happen. But I didn't know how to make a chicken coop and asked the guys at work. Guess what? Andre offered to help me. He was French and cute and had an ass to die for. I had my eye on him for a while and accepted his offer!

12