Winding Creek

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was that particular memory of Miss Kate that had him smilin' as his hand drifted to the cock that she often referred to as Carys. It was when he had her in the center of his mind, her mouth movin' up and down Carys length with her soft, smooth hand caressin' the heavy sac under it, that he spilt the makin's of a man that hadn't been relieved for more than a month on the ground next to him. Then, like most always, he thought about what he'd done.

How Mr. Taylor, after a fine Sunday dinner and durin' a quiet conversation in the old man's study, asked him just what he and J.D. had in mind. Luke was surprised, yet said nothin' of course, stayin' silent at the wealthy man's question.

"I would wager one thousand dollars..."

He let the tidy sum linger in the stilled air between them before he continued.

"...that my brother is up to something... Something to do with Willow Creek."

The older man's eyes narrowed before a long sigh slipped between his lips.

"You didn't know we were brothers did you Lucas. Thick as thieves we were, until our father decided I was to leave for university. Our father scrimped and saved but could only afford for one of us to go and with me being the oldest, the choice was simple. J.D. might have been smarter, at least he thought so, and left a week after I did. No one has ever heard a word until you arrived at my offices."

Adding a bit more amber liquid from the expensive bottle of Lernids to Lukes glass, he continued.

"I thought you might be his son at first."

Charles Taylor fished one of his infamous black cigars from the breast pocket of the coat he wore, rolling it between his thick fingers before lighting. Luke had seen him do the same thing a dozen times before when he'd finally made an important decision.

"Noo... I'd know J. D.s boy at first sight. You do share several of his traits though. The same stubborn streak when you believe your right and that hard sense of honor."

The sweet smell of the blue smoke drifted about.

"I'd ask, but you'll not say. You would not have my brother's confidence or be here if you would."

He smiled at Lucas, something as rare as hen's teeth.

"He believes I can help in some way, or you would not be here."

He paused, staring a hole through the young man as the long-wrapped tobacco slowly turned in his hand.

"I'll make it plain... as my brother often stated. I will do whatever he asks... IF you do as I am about to ask."

Again, the long pause.

"Lucas, I am tired of my wife worrying me about Daniel and Kate. The woman wants another grandchild. Her favored son has not provided her with one. I, for one, am not sure Daniel is capable of giving her one."

The young man resettled in his chair.

"Miss Molly informs me that you have a gentle touch when it comes to the ladies.

I've seen Katlyn when she's around you Lucas. My wife has seen it also."

Leaning forward, elbows on knees, Mr. Charles Taylor, spoke softly.

"As you heard at dinner, Daniel and Katlyn are leaving soon for a summer vacation to visit her family. He doesn't know it yet, but I'll be sending him to Philadelphia. You will be asked, by my wife, to accompany my daughter in law."

He rose slowly.

"I'm tired now young man... I think I will call it a night."

Lucas sat there for a bit, lookin' and not seein' the hand carved shelves filled with leather bound books behind the ornate desk. Charles Taylor had made it as plain as his mind would allow. Luke couldn't do it. Wouldn't. He was never close to Daniel, still, what Mr. Taylor was asking...

He remembered how Mrs. Taylor had come to the offices the followin' Thursday afternoon all flustered and such, lookin' for her husband. The rare visit immediately started speculation of what and why she was there. It weren't to long before Luke was summoned by Mr. Taylor. The man's wife looked at Luke as he entered the hallowed office. Mr. Taylor stood starin' out the window, his hand on the back of the leather chair his wife was seated in.

"Lucas, we have a problem and the best solution my husband can come up with involves you. Daniel and Katlyn were to visit her family in New Orleans..."

And so Luke found himself on the Mississippi Royal's top deck, 'accompanying' Mrs. Daniel Taylor on her long-planned trip to visit family. He had his own adjoinin' stateroom, (it was to of been Daniels of course) and plenty of time to entertain when not in the charge of the twenty-six-year-old wife. Many of the women on the slow-movin' boat took the time to stroll past the handsome, well-dressed Lucas when he'd linger near the side rail watchin' the country drift past. Although he and Mrs. Taylor might attend an early show or dinner, Luke was always alone after the sunset. After all, it wouldn't be proper for a Lady to be seen after dark with a single man.

But when the sun went down and after spendin' some time at the bar or gamblin',

Lucas could be found between the pale skinned, red haired womans thighs in one way or another. It hadn't taken long for Katlyn to realize that the virile young man might be as interested in her as she was him. Her mother-in-law, in her reassurances about Luke, only spoke of him in glowing terms. Of course, Katlyn already knew quite a bit about Luke. He was often the center of conversation among the younger ladies and more than a few of the married ones (although those thoughts were often whispered behind a handkerchief or gloved hand pressed against their cheek). She had often wondered herself about the well-mannered, dark-haired man. Yet every thought and every fantasy paled in comparison to what had transpired after just a lingering touch of her hand, the meeting of their eyes and the gentle kiss that became filled with need when his tongue darted against her closed lips.

Katlyn had stopped him at first until she remebered the many frustrations of being married to Daniel Taylor. The lost hours of time and effort to please him; to be the good wife and bear a child. A child that would fill her time when Daniel had so many other, far more important things then her to do.

She didn't resist when Lucas lightly blew in her ear before turning her face to his and kissing her again. Gently. Softly. When his tongue once again darted against her closed lips, she parted them ever so slightly, tasting the bourbon he had been drinking earlier.

Strong hands drew her close and the many layers of cotton did not hide his arousal as he pressed against her. She trembled with the erotic touch. He stroked her hair and whispered how beautiful she was. Tracing the curve of her neck with his lips, she offered no resistance as she was picked up and carried to the large feather bed and gently laid down. So many kisses. Such sweet utterings. His touch was gentle. No man had touched her so tenderly. Never. He caressed her breasts, making her nipples so hard they ached. When he undid the many buttons and hooks that shielded the rest of her from his eyes, there were no words of frustration or having to work so hard for what belonged to him. Lucas was kind and gentle and more.

He suckled her breast, stroked her tummy and then kissed her again and again. Her heart pounded as the newfound heat filled her body and flushed her cheeks.

"L-Luke... Luke..."

"Shhhh..."

He didn't stop. She didn't want him to. She looked away when he rose from the bed, stripping off his own clothes before returning to please her with his mouth. And so much pleasure. She gasped when he traced small circles around her nipples and then her navel, groaning when his tongue darted in and out.

Lost.

There was no other way to explain it. Lost as he removed the last cotton coverings. Lost in his smoldering green eyes as he looked admiringly down at her. Lost in the fever growing deep inside...

They made love twice that night. She would never forget the how and when and especially with who. She never wanted to leave that stateroom. As she crawled deeper into his arms, she could feel the fast-cooling warmth seeping from deep between her thighs. She marveled at how he held her when she clung to him and

how he had covered her mouth with his when she cried out.

They had spent as much time as they could together after that night, sometimes offering up gossip as she started sleeping late and retiring to her room early. Luke began showing interest in one of the older girls on the boat (at Katlyn's suggestion of course). Sarah was eighteen and would have no more than his company and an occasional stroll on deck to remember him by. Katlyn saw to that too.

It was on the return trip with her late arriving husband that Katlyn knew she was with child. She goaded Daniel to make love to her twice during that return trip or do what she used to think making love was. She knew deep in her heart that there was no future with Lucas. She also knew that she would do most anything to have him close to her as often as she could until it was time for him to leave...

The first tones of red and gold tinted the east as Luke finished saddlin' Patch. The white n near gold three-year-old was restless when he'd loaded the gifts he'd collected fer the return trip home. The silver tea set, music box and the Walker Colt revolver he had tooled for J.D. weren't near the weight of a man, but maybe heavier than that of the gal that'd raised the magnificent animal. Lindas gift had side stepped away from him more n once during their preparation for the last days of the long ride.

"Won't be long til your pack mule days are over horse."

He stroked the fine animal's shoulder as he tightened the last of the fine linen and rolls of silk he had procured from New Orleans as the final gifts fer home.

The tea set, all the way from Boston and still in its crate, seemed particular bothersome to the fidgetin' animal this morning. He hoped he'd gottin' Miss Debra's gift right. After hearin' about it not more n twice in the years he had spent with them, he knew it were a lost treasure that Miss Debra had held dear to heart. The subject, when it came up, was a sore spot between her and J.D. It meant Miss Debra had sometin' on her mind that J.D. was powerless to answer. He asked J.D. 'bout it once. The scowl that crossed the old man's face was tale enough and Luke never brung up the subject again.

"We'll be home soon Patch. I make it day after tomorrow... Early afternoon maybe."

Steppin' into saddle and leadin' the three-year-old, Luke headed west southwest for the near final leg home. Stayin' true to that direction would run him right through Winding Creek.

But he and J.D. had planned his return carefully. Early tomorrow he'd turn and head due west, throwing him a half day above the ranch house near night fall. He'd have a fire before the sun set, and not the smoke-less one he'd been taught to build.

This one would be meant as a signel to J.D. The next day he'd do the same, mornin' and night. If there were a need, they'd meet at Lily's pond. It was a good place fer Luke to clean up 'fore seein' Miss Debra and the rest of his adopted family any way. He'd make up his own mind if he'd come in that evenin' or wait till mornin'. That was on him.

As the miles passed, there was a sadness all mixed up with the excitement of the gittin' home feeling that settled on Luke. He was more than pleased 'bout seein' Miss Debra and Linda and jist a little afraid of what'd become of Tiffany. She'd be well past eighteen now. He took pleasure in being able to bring the fine gifts he had and looked forward to (and some maybe not so much) of the many talks he and J.D. were to have. Yet way back inside his head he kept thinkin' 'bout Kate and the child she was to have. His child. He'd thought 'bout packin' her up and bringin' her along with him more than once, but he knew what he'd become to Mr. Charles Taylor and his now arrogant wife... and soon after her belly started to swell, maybe Katy too.

He didn't like it. Didn't like it much at all.

Nudgin' Patch in ribs, the three travelers settled into an easy trot, sore muscles be damned.

Come early afternoon he stooped and walked with the horses a bit lettin'em graze on a bit of seasoned grass ifn it appealed to 'em. He thought 'bout practicin' with the Colt he'd had made fer his own self. Most the black powder'd been used with the near daily practice he'd done during the last month, so he worked on the 'feint and draw'. A good knife weren't enough anymore. News from the war and the west made that a fact.

He wondered 'bout Mr. Morris, the reclusive gunsmith who fashioned J.D.s fine weapon, then trimmed the length of his own guns barrel so it clear'd his holster easier. Luke had listened hard about the tales of the Walker Colt. It were a little heavy and sum times blew up if a man weren't practiced in its loadin' and care. Morris shavin' the cylinder pretty much put a stop to that. Lucas had two extra cylinders fashioned, with one of 'em most always loaded and tucked in his gun belt now.

Weren't long that the call of home growed louder in Lukes's heart.

The miles slowed as he got near'r to the ridges and peaks in the not so far off. Days were hotter and the night cooled quicker out here. Luke studied in the clear night sky that night to decide his last day of travel. It was late mornin' when he caught the shine off Lily's pond. If you weren't lookin' sharp, you'd not see it. Weren't long 'fore the horses caught scent of fresh water and headed to it. Luke held back the anxious animals a bit when he saw movement, preferrin' to near the water and greenery that grew up aroun' it real slow.

"That you Lucas Blake???"

It were what followed that made him cert'n whose voice it were.

"You need a bath and a shave Mister before you're welcomed back here."

The tease played like music to Luke's ears.

"I see J.D. and Miss Debra still ain't taught you no manners."

The pan faced and now very much grow'd girl rose from near the edge of the pond. A worn blanket stretched neatly beside her held her leather shoes and a small wicker basket. It were an odd sight, Linda dressed in her Sundays best, hair brushed til it shone in the late mornin's sun. Her cheeks were colored with what she was feelin'. Luke stepped down to gather the girl now rushin' toward him in his arms.

She clung to Luke, holdin' him as tightly as he had ever been held before. What he hadn't figured on was the young girls mouth coverin' his own. It weren't long til Luke heard tears in her voice as she started and stopped and then started again.

"Where you been Luke... Where have you been???"

He was concerned now. Hadn't J.D. told them?

"I'm so glad your home... Please tell me your home Lucas."

Her mouth covered his again. Luke tried easin' her away. What in the Sam hell was going on? What if J.D. was about? She stooped the kissin' and settled into his arms; her wet cheek pressed against his chest.

"I wasn't going to do this. I always promised Mama I wouldn't do this."

Luke eased her away from his chest.

"Do what Darlin'?"

She wiped at her nose, her cheeks glowing and her wet eyes trying to climb inside his.

"Papa is ill Lucas. Doc Weaver said it was Apoplexy. The left side of his body is all locked up. He still can't talk, even now."

The young man didn't hear what he was hearing.

"Tiffany run off with Jake Seasons, only to be sent back with a baby less than a year after she left. Mama swears that's what brought on the Apoplexy. Some of the town's folk have stopped making their payments on the land Papa sold them since word got around ' bout how sick he is and there weren't nothing Papa would or could do about it..."

Turning away from his growing confusion that was quickly turning to anger, Linda tried drying her eyes as she struggled to regain her composure.

"Mama's been watching northeast for near a month now. Ever since Papa tried pointing at the letter board that we all learned from, struggling to talk to 'er. Took us awhile to learn the words that he was trying to spell for us. When I pressed her about it all she'd say was J.D. told her to keep a sharp eye towards Lilys Pond. This morning she had that basket packed and sent me here. When I asked why, she told me I'd know soon enough. Then I saw you over the rise..."

She turned back to face him.

"Now will you tell me what happened more than two and a half years ago?"

He did, and for the next two hours as they walked towards the ranch house, she shared all the news that had passed since he'd left. Luke didn't ask much as she did, eventually pressing his finger to her lips and sayin' he heard enough for now.

He needed some quiet to think.

Didn't matter though. She soon started in on askin' him questions, makin' 'em seem more like wonderin' out loud.

"You find a gal in the big city?"

"Maybe, m'be not."

"Was she pretty?"

He stopped and looked at her. Her head weren't much past the shoulder of gift she didn't know were hers yet. The horse had stopped when she did, and Luke took note the animal weren't bein' held by the reins as Lindas gloved hand stroked his mane.

"She was."

"And?"

Luke was hit square in the face with the truth 'bout Ada. It weren't Ada that he fancied. It were Linda. It were Linda that he were talking to when they spent time together. It were Linda's smokey eyes that couldn't hide the truth. It were Linda he near fell in love with. Or maybe...

"It was time to come home young lady. Nothing more. Nothing less."

Linda settled into a lady like stance framed between the two horses. Luke could see Miss Debra in her way now. Her direct words left no doubt.

"I would have written you now if I knew what you and Papa were up to."

"I know Linda. "

"I waited for you Luke."

The words were blurt out and jist laid there between them. Swallowing hard, he started walking again. It was possibly a truth that the young man wanted to explore. But thing's had to be put right first. When they caught sight of their home twenty minutes out, Luke had to look hard, not believing what it was he was seeing. It was a rare swell of anger then hate that filled Lucas Blake.

"Linda, I need you to do something fer me."

She was startled at the voice she heard.

"Take your horse and bed it down...."

Then untying his bedroll and saddle bags, handed them to her.

"... leave what he's carrying in the stable and mind my things. I'll be back shortly."

Linda stayed quiet. She knew that tone of voice...

Lucas Baxter checked the Walker Colt twice as he covered the one-hour trip to Winding Creek. Lingerin' in the shadows across from what used to be Winding Creeks Finest and were now the 'Rusty Nail', Luke made note of who and how many were about inside. He knew most, Jack Seasons was holding court at the end of the bar. He was shamed at seein' 'Jist Bob' four feet away. It were true, though he hoped Linda might be mistaken. Lowerin' his gun belt a full two notches on his hips, he freed the Colt, checking once more makin' sure it slipped easily from well-oiled leather holdin' it. The extra cylinder was freed fer easy use if it came to that. Takin' a deep slow breath, he set out to kill his first man.

Lucas stepped into the yellow light that fell through the bat wing doors. No one noticed as he moved between the wall and the bar, some fifteen feet from where Jake stood holding his beer.

Jist Bob noticed him first, though you'd not know 'cept for his hand tightened around his drink. J.D. always said hit hard and hit fast.

"Jack Seasons..."

Lucas set his left foot forward, slimmmin' hisself from to the loud man's sight.

"...you've disrespected my family..."

The better dressed man stiffened.

"...you shamed your son's name."

No one weren't fer sure what Jack had on his mind when he turned quickly to see the man who was calling him out. The last thing Jack Seasons ever saw was the fire and smoke that belched from Lucas Blakes Walker Colt. Feinting right, the young man crouched in the blue-black haze that filled area between them snd soon enough most the room.