Winterborn Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"But I've always done what had to be done. Helping the Edwards is something that has to be done; at least in my mind. I can't let that Yankee carpetbagger hurt these folks; he did enough of that back in Virginia." Dillon's voice had become hard and his eyes looked like blue steel.

"I'm sorry amigo, I don't understand, what was it you said...Yankee carpetbagger?" Oso said. Dillon explained the term and Cassidy's history.

Oso waited for a little as Dillon continued to study the skyline and then suggested they head back. "It's about lunch time."

"Don't you ever think about anything but food, you big bear?" Dillon laughed as he shook off his somber mood and turned Buck toward the ranch house.

After lunch Dillon told Eleanor that they should have a discussion after supper concerning the troubles with Cassidy. The rest of the afternoon the whole group worked around the house and barn. There's always something that needs doing around a ranch, Dillon thought as he mended the corral attached to the barn.

Supper was over, the after the meal coffee was poured, and everyone gathered around the big table for a talk about the future. Eleanor, Elizabeth, Ethan, and Oso waited for Dillon to start the discussion; after all he was the one that had suggested the powwow.

"Miss Eleanor it's time you knew more about me; before this trouble with Cassidy gets any worse," Dillon started. He went on to tell about his service in the First Virginia Cavalry, his decision not to return home after the war and why, and his hatred of what the North forced on the southern states.

"My reasons for opposing Cassidy run deeper than not wanting to see a nice family run off their place. If I stay Cassidy may come down on you all the harder because I'm here. He was a Northern regulator in Virginia which gives me all the more reason to hate him. Cassidy knows how I feel about him and his kind." Dillon paused looking at Eleanor and the rest of them and added, "If you want me to leave, I'll understand. Things are apt to get real nasty around here."

"I know most of your history Dillon," Eleanor replied. "Charley Jackson told me after he got that telegram from Marshal Ryan."

Dillon was surprise and a little angry that Jackson would talk about him behind his back. Before he could say anything Eleanor continued.

"Oh, don't blame Charley too much Dillon. He hardly knows you; my husband John and I have been close friends with Charley for years. He wasn't gossiping about you son, he was warning me what kind of man I was hiring. Understand?"

Dillon nodded and relaxed. Eleanor added, "As you said, this situation could get very bad. But I won't be forced off this damned ranch by Cassidy or anyone else." She looked Dillon in the eye and said, "We, my family and I are prepared to fight to the end if necessary. Are you sure you want to commit to what amounts to a war?"

He returned Eleanor's look, paused for a few seconds and said, "You said this damned ranch. I don't understand that."

Eleanor gave him a sad smile and replied, "I don't really care for the life of a rancher Dillon, I wanted to live closer to town and teach school again." At his surprised look she continued, "I stayed because John worked hard to build a life for us here and a wife's place is at her husband' side. I won't let someone walk all over his legacy." Now Eleanor paused for a few seconds.

"Even if Cassidy had made us a reasonable offer, I wouldn't have sold the Triple E to him after what happened to John. He killed my husband and then tried scaring us off the place. His next offer was not much more than traveling money. As I said, we won't be forced off our place by Cassidy."

Elizabeth, Ethan, and Oso all nodded in agreement. Dillon had a smile of his own that didn't extend to his eyes. "Looks like Mr. Carpetbagger Cassidy has a fight on his hands don't it?"

He and Oso started toward the bunkhouse. Dillon decided to check on his horses, especially his pack horse. Buddy hadn't received much attention for the last few days. As he led the gentle horse from his stall and currycombed him, he saw Elizabeth entering the barn.

Dillon nodded at her and she came over and stroked and rubbed Buddy's face. "You're an educated man aren't you Dillon? I mean with the poetry quotes and all, I'm sure you had more schooling than most."

"I guess you could call me educated. VMI did teach more than just battle tactics." He smiled and admitted, "I developed a fondness for poetry. It's sort of a strange way of relaxing for a young man planning on being a cavalry officer." Dillon looked at Elizabeth in the lamp light and again felt his interest in the young woman.

"Momma taught us at home you know, I guess once a school teacher always a school teacher. She can't get Ethan interested in more than just learning to read and write and a little arithmetic. Momma could tell that I wanted more so she introduced me to several subjects."


"Like what?" Dillon asked more to keep her talking than anything; he was enjoying her company.

"I've read some philosophy, and ancient history," Elizabeth answered. Then with a chuckle she added, "I've even read some poetry. Mostly Elizabeth Barrett Browning. You know 'How do I love thee'," she said blushing.

"I'm impressed Elizabeth. My favorites are Shelley and Byron."

Oso stuck his head inside the door. "I'm gonna take a walk around and then turn in. See you later Dillon," he said pointedly looking at Elizabeth.

She chuckled, "Oso is always trying to protect me." Then softly to herself she said, "Sometimes I wished he'd mind his own business."

Now Dillon chuckled and said, "He's right. You're much too lovely to be alone with a man in a barn. For some, the temptation would be too great."

"I'm 21 and full grown Dillon. I can go and do what I want and take care of myself thank you, she said with a smile. Dillon continued brushing Buddy and after a minute Elizabeth softly asked, ""Are you such a gentleman that you can resist temptation Dillon?"

He stopped working on his horse and looked at her. Sighing Dillon said, "Elizabeth, I'm not a good prospect, if that's what you thinking. I've got a price on my head in San Antonio and in Laredo. Men have challenged me and died for it. I'm not a nice person Elizabeth. You deserve some young man who doesn't have to look over his shoulder."

"Ha, the boys and men around here think I'm too much of a tom boy to be interested," she replied. "They all want a woman that will sit at home waiting for them and jump at their beck and call. I won't be a simpering fool for any man. When I marry I plan on being a full partner with my husband."

Dillon had to smile at the passion in her voice. She certainly would be a handful, he thought. But she would be damn well worth the trouble. Stop it, he told himself. I might not live through what's coming and if I do she deserves better than me.

Elizabeth stepped around Buddy and faced Dillon. "As far as what you said about yourself, I disagree. I think you are a good person. I saw it when you protected Ethan and again when you helped Oso. Besides, it's not your decision Mr. Gallagher. It's mine." With that she put her arms around Dillon's neck, pulled his head down, and kissed him.

Before he could react she stepped back and walked toward the door. "Temptation can be very hard to resist, can't it Dillon." Elizabeth left laughing at the look on Dillon's face.

"Guess that's plain enough," Dillon said out loud. "Buddy have you even seen such a woman?" The horse shook his head as if to agree that Elizabeth was something special. Dillon put Buddy back in his stall and walked over to the bunkhouse. That sure puts a different twist to things, he said to himself. As he entered Oso sat up in bed.

"I don't want to see Elizabeth hurt Dillon," the big man said.

"Neither do I amigo, but I don't think what you and I want plays into it," Dillon replied chuckling. "Elizabeth is pretty much her own person. All we can do is keep our heads down and hope we don't get in her way." Dillon got serious and continued, "I won't hurt her Oso; I promise."

The next day Dillon, Oso and Elizabeth inspected the land surrounding the ranch house and out buildings. Dillon planned on developing several defensive positions in case Cassidy and his men made a raid on the ranch.

As they ate lunch Dillon suggested several things. "It's getting on to winter and I don't think Cassidy will try anything out here before spring. Town's a different matter though. From now on I think we should go to town together." He saw nods of understanding from everyone.

Dillon looked at Eleanor. "I don't mean to take over but I've got some experience in this area." She nodded and he continued, "Before spring I'd like all of you to be able to handle a gun, if you don't already. You too Ethan."

Eleanor spoke up, "If it looks like trouble is coming, I'll send Ethan to stay with Sheriff Jackson and his wife. I've already talked to Charley about it. I'd like for Elizabeth to go too but I don't think there's much chance of getting her to behave like a lady." Eleanor smiled at her daughter. Looking at Oso she added, "I know I can't get my oldest boy to leave either."

Oso beamed at Eleanor's words. He knew that he'd been adopted by the Edwards, if not legally at least in their hearts and minds but it was nice to hear anyway.

Dillon nodded his understanding but warned, "There may not be time to send Ethan into town; he should be able to protect himself just in case. There are some other things we can do over the winter; we can talk about them later."

"How long will we have to live like this, waiting for Cassidy to do something?" Elizabeth asked. "It's like being under siege."

"Cassidy won't do any more than try to rough us in town. If he does something illegal and out in the open we can get the Territorial Marshal involved," Dillon answered. "If trouble comes it will probably be out here on the ranch away from witnesses. I don't know if he's prepared to kill but we'll just have to defend ourselves and hold out." He grinned adding, "Of course he could change his mind about getting hold of the Triple E."

The short laughs, snorts, and chuckles showed that no one believed Cassidy would give up trying to get the ranch.

******************

By mid April as spring pushed the winter away, there had been several changes at the ranch and in their lives. The winters in Prescott were not severe. It seldom got below 20 degrees and there wasn't a lot of snow. In January there was a sort of blizzard out of the north, leaving a foot of snow on the ground. Two days after the storm the weather was warm and sunny; most of the snow melted.

During those five months, they had dug a short tunnel under the back wall of the bunkhouse. It had only one door and the tunnel would allow anyone trapped in the bunkhouse to get out. They cut a trap door in the wooden floor, setting a rug and a table over the escape route.

"Like a rabbit always has two or three ways out of his tunnel," Ethan observed.

Just like that," Dillon replied. "We can cover the holes with brush to hide them."

Up at the main house there was already a trap door that led to a root cellar. They cut through the wall of the cellar to provide another escape route. Dillon had a local carpenter make some four inch thick shutters for the ranch house windows. They had a cross shaped firing ports cut in them. If they got pinned down in the house they would be able to defend themselves by using the ports to shoot through.

Dillon hid rifles wrapped in oil skin in several places around the main house and out buildings. If they got caught outside of the house or the bunkhouse they wouldn't be without weapons.

On one of the supply runs Dillon bought two Winchester rifles, three Remington New Model Army pistols and two Greener 10 gauge coach guns. He also bought several boxes of cartridges for each to add to the arsenal at the ranch. There were two cowhands in the gun smith's who Dillon thought were Cassidy's men. He made it a point to tell the gun smith in a loud voice that the weapons were for the Triple E.

Eleanor questioned him about letting Cassidy's men know that the Triple E was well armed. "I want Cassidy to know what he'll be facing if he comes after us," Dillon explained with a grim smile. "Now he knows he's not facing just one rifle; it might cause him to rethink any plans of raiding the ranch."

One morning Dillon asked Ethan to take a walk with him. As they got to the back of the house Dillon stopped. "Ethan, I'm going to give you a job. Early every morning I want you to tie a saddled horse here at the entrance to the root cellar. If we get raided your job will be to get to that horse and ride for town to get Sheriff Jackson."

Dillon could see that the youngster wasn't sure about leaving his family during a raid. "You can ride the ten miles or so into town faster than your mother or sister and Oso and I have to stay here. You're the best one for the job Ethan. Understand?"

Ethan nodded and then felt proud that he'd been chosen for this important mission. As he went toward the barn, Eleanor stepped around the side of the house.

"That was a nice thing to do Dillon," she said.

"I doubt that we'll know a raid is coming until it happens so this seemed to be the best way to get the boy out of harm's way. Do you think I could get you and Elizabeth to go with him?" When Eleanor shook her head no he added, "I didn't think so."

Normally a trip to town to get supplies was done on a Saturday; Dillon changed the supply run to a different day of the week. Less chance of running into Cassidy's men during the week, Dillon thought. Dillon, Oso, and the Edwards did all the shopping and errands together. From getting supplies from various stores, picking up and sending mail, and having the horses reshod was done as a group. Even going to church twice a month was done together.

On one trip the whole crew was in the mercantile and Eleanor and Elizabeth bought some ladies undergarments. Following Dillon's advice they were all together and the two men were embarrassed as the ladies discussed the merits and sizes of the items. Ethan was looking at the case holding candy and wasn't involved. The ladies teased the men about their red faces for days afterwards.

During the winter months and into spring, Elizabeth continued to flirt and tease Dillon. I don't know how much more of this I can take, Dillon said to himself. One morning he spoke to Eleanor about the problem.

Explaining what Elizabeth had been doing he said, "I don't want to cause any more problems than you already have but do you think you could talk to her and get her to leave me alone?" Eleanor laughed and smiled at the pleading tone Dillon used.

"I could speak to her but it wouldn't do any good Dillon. As you've noticed Elizabeth is a very independent young woman." Eleanor paused, looking at him for a moment. "The only way to make her stop is for you to tell her you're not interested. Don't tell her you're not good for her like you did before; it only makes her want you more. Tell her flat out that you don't want her."

Dillon stood looking at Eleanor for a bit and with a sad smile replied, "I try not to lie if I can help it....... No, I couldn't rightly tell her that. Guess I'll just have to put up with her, for awhile anyway." He turned and went back to the barn.

Eleanor smiled at his back as he walked away. That poor young man doesn't even know he's been roped yet, she thought. He'll make a fine addition to the family; if we make it through this trouble.

Setting up defensive positions wasn't the only thing that had to be done. The Triple E was a cattle ranch and the stock still had to be tended. The cattle had already been brought down from the summer grazing in the high country and were closer to the house. Every couple of days they had to be checked in case any problems arose.

Dillon and Elizabeth were checking on the cattle and the spring calves in the meadow farthest from the house. They had separated riding around the small herd when Elizabeth whistled shrilly getting Dillon's attention on the other side of the meadow; she motioned for him to join her. He rode around the herd to Elizabeth and she pointed at some tracks in the soft earth.

"Looks like three horses and about twenty head of cattle moved off toward the pass there," Dillon said pointing to a low area between two large hills. "I think someone's helping themselves to Triple E cattle."

Elizabeth nodded and said, "Let's follow them. Maybe we can catch them before they get off the ranch."

"I'll follow them, you ride back and tell Oso where I'm headed," Dillon ordered.

"Mr. Gallagher, you forget yourself. You work for us, remember?" She asked with a little grin. "If you want Oso's help, you go for him. I'm going to follow these tracks and see who's taking our cattle." With that Elizabeth kicked her horse into a lope and followed the trail.

As she rode away, Dillon shook his head. Like I said he thought, she's a handful. Smiling he turned Buck in the same direction and quickly caught up to Elizabeth. "Okay Miss Edwards, you're the boss. But if it looks like things are going to get rough you have to head back."

"But......" Elizabeth started. Dillon interrupted her.

"It's either that way or I'll tie you across your saddle and lead you back myself," he said very seriously. "I won't let you get yourself shot over a few head of cattle. Your choice Miss Edwards."

Elizabeth stared at him for about ten seconds and asked, "You'd really do that wouldn't you?" When Dillon nodded she sighed and said, "Okay, I promise I'll behave. She smiled and added softly, "This time anyway."

Following the tracks it was evident that the riders were pushing the cattle toward the pass. Motioning for Elizabeth to follow him, Dillon rode around the slow moving cattle keeping out of sight. They arrived at the pass about twenty minutes before the stolen cattle did.

"No more games Elizabeth. You stay on your horse just over the crest of the pass and if shooting starts you use your spurs and get back to the ranch. Tell Oso where I am and what's happening but you stay at the ranch. Understand?"

"Dillon I think I can......."

"No arguments girl. This isn't a game. These rustlers won't care that you're a woman; they'll just want to get away. I won't be responsible for you getting shot. It would hurt Eleanor too much," Dillon said. And me too, he added to himself.

She nodded and moved her horse below the pass. Dillon left Buck ground tied, pulled his rifle out of the scabbard and went back to the crest of the trail. As the three men and the cattle got closer Dillon could pick out the Triple E branded on the cattle's rumps. One man was on each side of the herd with the third riding drag to push the cattle along.

When the men got with a hundred feet Dillon stood in the middle of the pass. "Stop right there," he shouted. "Those are Triple E cattle and you're guilty of rustling. I'll give you five seconds to drop your guns and dismount."

The men stopped seeing Dillon with a rifle aimed in their direction. "There's only one of you Mister and three of us. You might get one of us but not all three," one of the men yelled back. He started to say more but stopped as another figure with a rifle came to stand on the other side of the pass.

Dillon sensed the movement and knew it had to be Elizabeth. He quickly glanced her way and saw she had put her hair up under her hat. At that distance from the three rustlers they couldn't tell that it was a young woman. All they saw was their chances of getting away go downhill.

The man on Dillon's right said, "Aw hell" and pulled his pistol. He took a shot at Dillon and the other 'man' standing in the pass. Before he could turn his horse Dillon's rifle shot rang out and the rustler was knocked out of the saddle.