Without You I Have Nothing Ch. 19

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The whole idea of Christmas was so foreign to him that he felt he was on another planet.

In Melbourne the next day, Peter caught Jennifer repeatedly fingering her engagement ring and studying it with a warm smile wreathing her face in sunshine.

It seemed as though everyone knew these two young people were recently engaged.

Very quickly, Peter lost track of all the purchases and was glad that Andrew had parked in a central location. This made the trips short and it was easy to load the boot with the packages.

Neither Jennifer nor Peter was tired when late on Christmas Eve they arrived back, laden with presents. While unloading the car he believed they’d purchased gifts for everyone in the State.

At last, Peter began to appreciate the meaning of Christmas and Santa. Of course, he was really only interested in two small purchases, which he had hidden deep in his pocket.

It was not until the family had finished dinner and trooped into the lounge room that any mention was made of the day in town. The focal point of the room was a huge Christmas Tree festooned with decorations glittering and reflecting the light of a few candles.

There followed a Christmas Eve family party of singing and dancing that flowed into the night until Elizabeth reminded them that it was almost Christmas Day.

"All of you go off to bed." No one moved, so she pushed and shoved each one out. "If you're not in bed soon and asleep, Santa won't leave you any presents. Besides we have church tomorrow."

As she spoke, she hung clearly labeled pillowslips under the tree, but she ignored Andrew’s advice.

"Put two out for me. I've ordered a couple of blondes."

With her arm around Peter, Jennifer walked to his room where they unpacked their purchases on Peter’s bed before carefully wrapping them in pretty Christmas Paper. Peter was sure they had bought presents for an army. There were so many presents and he recognized only a few names.

When they had finished, Jennifer led the way, creeping back to the Christmas Tree where they placed parcels in all the pillowslips but theirs. Where the pillowslips were full, she piled the remaining presents under the tree.

Their job completed, they tiptoed back to Peter's room where they lay on the bed where cuddling and talking into the early morning, they fell asleep in each other's arms.

It was daylight before they stirred and Jennifer immediately sprang up. She bent over to kiss Peter before quickly dancing out of his reach.

"Hurry! Get dressed for church because you won’t have time to come back here. Meet me at the Christmas Tree because Andrew won't wait for anyone. If you are late he’ll open your presents too."

She paused at the door to add, "Merry Christmas, darling." before rushing off.

The urgency of her voice made Peter rush.

He felt foolish standing alone in front of the tree but at least he was able to slip two small packages into Jennifer's pillowslip.

"I saw that!" Peter jumped at Andrew's warm chuckle. "Feeling for what surprises Santa left you, eh? As far as I could see, you got your present last night. I saw the both of you together, asleep like babes this morning. Absolutely sickening it was."

Slapping Peter on the back, he laughed. "I can't understand what you see in Sis," then quickly added, "Don't worry I won't tell Mum."

"Won't tell Mum, what?" A beautiful vision in a jade green flared skirt with a matching blouse that dipped low enough the reveal the swell of her breasts appeared. Jennifer had arrived.

"Close your mouth Peter, don't look so surprised." She whirled around and around until her skirt rose. "Like what you see eh?"

Further discussion was impossible as Elizabeth and Eric swept into the room, "Won't tell Mum, what?"

They all joined in what was obviously the commencement of a family ritual of opening parcels. Each family member had to open a present in turn and wait for the next to open a present.

Santa had been very generous even to Peter.

Amongst the parcels was something very special. Obviously, Jennifer had done some extraordinary shopping for him. An expensive gold watch had a little card attached: 'You've no excuse to be late for our special date'.

Jennifer had been very careful when taking her presents from the slip and Peter wondered what had happened to the two special parcels he had slid into her pillowslip, as they hadn't appeared. All the slips were empty and they were sitting in a sea of wrapping paper when Jennifer moved to sit in Peter's lap, clutching the two small packages.

"I wonder what's in these. I must have behaved very well this year. Santa’s left me something special - besides Peter."

Her family excitedly watched her.

Carefully, she un-wrapped the first layer of paper and the card, 'My Love'. She removed even more tissue paper until she opened the box that had lain hidden in all the Christmas wrapping. Unbelieving, she stared at the single emerald pendant hanging from its white gold chain, then held it out for everyone to see.

Elizabeth gasped. "That matches your engagement ring. Isn't it beautiful?"

Peter barely heard her as Jennifer was kissing him and his hands wanted to wander.

The kiss didn't last long as she couldn't wait to unwrap the other present. This time the card read, ‘These are but poor additions to your beauty. My heart is with you always.’

Underneath Peter had drawn a crude Santa head. Holding the earrings to her ears, Jennifer could only shake her head and look at Peter

"My God," Andrew whistled, "Jennifer isn't only marrying into money but this mad Irishman has taste. Well done, Sis."

"Peter, could you?” Jennifer held out the earrings for Peter to place in her earlobes.

Elizabeth helped when Peter pleaded that he was useless. She also hung the necklace around Jennifer's neck.

"Peter you really have given Jennifer something to treasure forever," she said warmly.

"Not me – Santa. The silly old fool's gone mad. He's got an eye for pretty young girls this year." Vainly, Peter tried to relieve his embarrassment.

Laughing, Jennifer flung herself into his arms.

"Bring me a mirror someone,” she called out. “I want to see how I look."

Two small matching emeralds gleamed from her ears, and the lustre of the stone on her neck highlighted the soft white of her skin. However, these only emphasized the beauty of the emerald surrounded by the diamonds, which glittered on her finger informing the world of Peter's love.

The gifts were perfect, complimenting the color of her eyes. Peter was satisfied.

Not so satisfied was Andrew.

"I've been very, very good this year. I asked for a couple of blondes and the old bugger didn't listen. I suppose he keeps them all to himself, the randy bastard." Andrew sounded petulant.

Peter just grinned as his arm slid around Jennifer's waist.

"Well perhaps you haven't been as good as me. Look what Santa's given me." He leaned down and kissed Jennifer tenderly.

"But I have been good - so very good." Andrew was determined to have his say.

Peter looked as though he was losing patience. Squeezing Jennifer, he laughed as he gave the directions. “Stamp three times and say ‘I am a good boy, I am a good boy, I am a good boy’. Perhaps Santa will hear you. Do all that correctly and maybe Santa’s Christmas magic will still work."

To join in the fun Andrew did as directed. Instantly the double doors flew open and two blondes stood, arms outstretched.

The family roared with laughter at the look on Andrew's face. For once, he was lost for words.

Still laughing, Jennifer shook him from his stupor.

"There's no need to un-wrap these presents. Peter did that earlier for you as he thought he'd save you the trouble."

Her grin was wicked.

"Now," she produced two pillowslips from behind a chair, "welcome your two 'presents' and help them with their gifts from Santa."

There was no need to introduce the two ballerinas to anyone other than Andrew.

It had been Jennifer who had plotted this escapade with Peter. Her parents had willingly joined in. While the men had gone to town to negotiate the purchase of Rocky Springs, the women had driven off in a different direction to the local airport to collect the two girls – the same ones Jennifer had seen doing that Dance of the Little Swans the night she met Peter.

The family trooped off to breakfast with Andrew still speechless and the two ballerinas clutching his arm, making him feel even more embarrassed.

"What's wrong, Andrew?” Peter couldn't stop teasing. "You were going to tell your mother something earlier. Are you having a loss of memory?

“Jennifer? Is this your brother? Is this the one who's spent all the time teasing you since I arrived?"

The girls joined in the fun.

Peter turned to Andrew. "Now smarty, what do you have to say for yourself?"

Marissa and Nicolette - the two 'presents', laughed as loudly as the family.

When Peter and Jennifer had approached them to arrange the 'Santa Surprise’, they had entered into the spirit of Christmas, adding their own ideas to the scene.

Andrew glared at Peter. If ever anyone had bettered him, Peter had certainly done so this time. However, with a beautiful girl either side of him, he was shy, unable to make the most of being the victim of this joke.

Slowly he began to speak as his arms stole around each girl. "I’ll never be bad again - but – I’ll get even with you and Sis somehow."

Jennifer giggled, "You can try brother, you can try. However, keep in mind that you’re dealing with the master of surprises here." She patted Peter's hand.

It was time for church. Half an hour later, their two cars arrived at the huge country cathedral. When the family together with the two girls hanging on Andrew's arms made their way to their pew, a buzz rippled around the church.

The celebration of the special birth was an occasion for joy and the carols lived for Peter. Having Jennifer beside him made his heart respond with such elation that he knew he was glowing with pride.

After greeting the parishioners and the Bishop, the introductions to Jennifer's relatives didn't worry him. Peter wasn't even tongue-tied, finding Jennifer's arm through his enough to give him confidence.

Jennifer enjoyed showing off her ring and her new jewelry, but slowly Peter began to realize she was getting more enjoyment from parading him. Even the banter from the local young men didn't worry him.

"Hey, Jennifer I carried your books at school!"

"Why didn’t you shop at home for a husband? Plenty of us here who'd marry you."

Peter just laughed with Jennifer and held her a little more tightly.

Even Andrew received his fair share of teasing by his mates. "Hey Andrew, spare one for me you greedy bugger."

"So you do believe in Santa after all, eh? God, I'm converting now."

Then one became a little reckless.

"Andrew - tonight, don't pray hard to be good, just pray to be hard. The girls will look after the good."

The family groaned, but Nicolette and Marissa laughed as loudly as others who heard and weren't the least embarrassed, but Nicolette got the better of him.

"It's obvious there is no point in you saying prayers, unless you pray for something to get hard with."

The resulting explosion of mirth was even louder than before. If Andrew's friends thought they could embarrass the two dainty ballerinas, they were mistaken

The Australian summer heat was stifling, but in the house, the thick walls of stone and the air conditioning kept the heat at bay.

Quickly the house filled with visitors and the women in the traditional Australian country fashion gravitated to the kitchen. Their men folk, following behind, carried baskets of food. The ovens were soon full and rich smells were wafting out onto the verandahs where tables had been set up to seat all the guests.

It was a traditional Christmas Dinner where the extended family of friends and relatives pitched in welcoming Peter.

The festive occasion was a rousing success.

Until he sat with Jennifer, Peter didn't realize how large Jennifer's family was. He tried counting the aunts, uncles and cousins until he finally gave up and just concentrated on talking to Jennifer. He noted it was no use trying to talk to Andrew. He was far too busy trying to impress his two 'Christmas Presents'.

Later that night, the summer heat had abated. Andrew took his two visitors out into the warm summer night, with Peter and Jennifer following. Standing under the gum trees with the heavy scent of eucalyptus hanging in the air, Peter drew Jennifer's head to his chest and paused to reconsider his life. He realized it had changed and would never be the same again. With his arms around the woman he loved, he knew he now had a special person to care for.

The lone wolf of his past had faded into the shadows, never to return.

He had a family!

12