Witness for the Prosecution Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"All right, get the stone." Andrews ordered. Roger went into the breakroom and pulled a chair to the wall under the air conditioning vent, and proceeded to pull the vent out from the wall. He reached in and brought out a large jewelry box, seven inches by three inches long, and three inches high.

After replacing the A/C vent cover and stepping back down to the floor, Roger Earnest handed Cabe Andrews the box. Andrews opened it, and brilliant green specks of light emanated from the case. The huge rectangular (technically octagonal) green emerald seemed to glow of its own accord.

"Wowww... " Andrews whispered. "So this is the legendary Tokay Emerald. Why did you hide it?"

"My cellphone had an app that was monitoring the Police's radio frequencies." Roger Earnest said. "I heard they were coming, so I hid the emerald before going out behind the others, thinking I could come back and get it. But the cops were already there, and busted us. Who do you think betrayed us?"

"I don't know. It wasn't me." said Andrews, knowing Roger was lying to him about the Police being on the way.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Remind me again why we had to bring that pussy Andrews along?" Karl Coleman said, remembering the previous incident with Andrews, as well as his general disgust for him. (Author's note: 'Vengeance Is Mine', Ch. 01)

"Because we were told to." Lindsey Black replied. "And to fuck over the Iron Crowbar while he's driving to Southport, after what Troy did to Andrews in The 
City." (Author's note: 'Deliver Us From Evil', Ch. 02.)

"Andrews had it coming." Coleman said. "The Iron Crowbar got to do what I wanted to do to that pussy Andrews. But why didn't someone just blow Troy away at the time?"

"Opportunity lost. Spilt milk." Lindsey Black said. Several moment later, she said "This is taking too long."

"I don't trust Andrews." Karl Coleman said. "Let's go check and find out what's going on."

"Herman, drive up and past that other door, the one to the jewelry store side." Lindsey Black said to Federal Marshal Herman Toobin. He drove the SUV up past the metal door. As Black and Coleman got out, Lindsey said "Keep watch over this little cunt. And keep the engine running."

She and Coleman went to the door of the warehouse, opened it, and went inside. Toobin sprang into action. He got out and went to the vehicle door Lindsey had just exited. He pulled Dee Stubbs to him and said "Stay still, I'm going to uncuff you." As he did so, he said "I'm letting you go. You need to run and keep on running. Andrews is going to let your brother run for it. Y'all can hook up somewhere and find your way back to people who will keep you hidden."

"That must be one hell of an emerald Roger hid." Dee said.

"You have no idea." Herman Toobin said. "Black and Coleman will just give it to their boss. Andrews and I are taking it for ourselves. We'll have it cut up, and we'll sell the stones." As the handcuffs came off, he said "Now go! Run!" Dee sprang out of the car and began running down the alley the way they'd come in, not knowing if she was going to get a bullet in her back...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cabe Andrews shut the jewelry box, then took out his powerful handgun and pointed it at Roger Earnest, who said "Hey! You said you'd let me run for it!"

"Speaking of betrayals..." Andrews said. "Obviously I can't let you live, and the gunshot will bring Black and Coleman inside. They'll see that you're dead, I'll tell them you were refusing to tell me where the emerald was or to get it, and you made a play for my gun. They'll be none the wiser as they search for it, and I'll be sneaking out the back door."

As he raised his weapon, he said "And thanks for the lovely parting gift."

"No no, thank you!"

Cabe looked to his side to see the tall, broad-shouldered man wearing all black, and over that a trenchcoat, and a Tilley Hat with Airborne wings attached, leaving no doubt that he'd just been ambushed...

... by Your Iron Crowbar.

Thinking I was not armed, Cabe Andrews swung his arm over to shoot me.

*pop* *ZZZZZZZT!*

The electricity from the TASER poured into Andrews, immobilizing him. As he fell to the floor, I rushed him, relieved him of possession of his Government Gun, and zip-tied his hands behind him. Then I secured the jewelry box and put it into an inner pocket of my trenchcoat.

"The Iron Crowbar?" a stunned Roger Earnest gasped. "You are real!"

"Lucky for you." I said. "All right, I'm going to keep my promise, and extract your sister alive from those---"

"FEDERAL AGENTS!" yelled Lindsey Black as she and Karl Coleman came into the warehouse via the back door, pointing their Government Guns in my general direction. "Raise your hands and surrender!"

"That will be the day!" yelled another voice behind me in the warehouse.

*RATTA-TATTA-TATTA!*

I tackled Roger Earnest on into the breakroom as Black and Coleman dived behind a crate that was near the door. They came up firing their weapons, but another hail of bullets forced them to quickly drop down again.

*RATTA-TATTA-TATTA!*

"Oh... yeah." the voice said, and a little too quietly. "Police. Drop your weapons."

"We are Federal Agents!" Lindsey Black yelled, holding her badge in her hand above the crate.

*POW!*... *WHANG!*

The bullet slammed into the middle of Black's badge, knocking it out of her hand and against the wall behind her. Wringing her hand that was tingling, she yelled "I said we are Federal Agents!"

"Not for much longer!" replied the voice, more loudly. Another hail of bullets flew over, and into, the crate the Swamp Frogs were hiding behind.

"Let's run for it." Coleman said. "I'll lay down a base of suppressive fire, and you dive for the door." He began firing over the top of the crate as Lindsey dove for the door, staying low. She crawled outside as another hail of bullets painted the door and wall just above her.

Once outside, Black began firing back inside, allowing Coleman to run to the door and dive outside. Yet another hail of gunfire raked the door and wall, one bullet grazing his shoulder. They ran to the empty SUV and piled inside, Coleman driving, and Black in the seat behind him. The SUV screeched off.

"Get us over the State Line!" Lindsey ordered. "God damn! Who the fuck was firing at us?..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In the mêlée, Cabe Andrews used the Federal Agent training he'd received and broke out of the zip-tie securing his hands behind him. He made a run for the front of the jewelry store. He grabbed a chair in front of the counter, used by buyers as they examined rings and discussed the potential purchases, and threw it at the glass of the front door. It shattered, and he ran through.

A black SUV drove up. It had Federal tags. Cabe Andrews clambered into the back seat, and saw that Federal Marshall Toobin was in the backseat, as well. A beautiful, raven-haired woman in all black was in the shotgun seat.

"Well, gentlemen, we have a new definition of what a 'clusterfuck' is, if you ask me. You're lucky to have survived." said FBI Supervisory Special Agent Melina Troy Allgood...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Okay, Roger, I'm going to have to pat you down for weapons, then handcuff you." I said, then did so, cuffing his hands in front of him.

"Is Dee okay?" Earnest asked as I began walking him to the back door. "And what the fuck is going on with those Federal Agents?"

"There is no honor among thieves. Nor Federal Agents, apparently." I said. "Come on, let's go." As we walked, we came up to the person who had favored Black and Coleman with those full-metal-jacket attentions... Your Iron Wolf, Teresa Croyle.

She was dismantling the M-4 she had used into smaller pieces, and putting them into the green canvas bag she had brought with her, which looked like a large purse or a camera bag. And the look on her face was pure 'Teresa Cunt' fury.

"What happened, there?" I asked.

"And a Voice came out of the cloud, and said 'Damn! I missed!'." she replied angrily. I began whimpering, which became a hearty laugh that went on for many seconds.

"Opportunity lost. Spilt milk." I said to her. "Come on, let's go." I picked up Lindsey Black's badge, with the bullet flattened onto its surface, and put it in my pocket, and Teresa followed us outside.

The alley was filled with the blazing blue of LED lightbars on top of TCPD vehicles. As we walked down the alley, we saw Dee Stubbs standing next to one of the vehicles, her hands cuffed in front of her, with Detective Joan Laurer watching over her. Joan had easily caught and overpowered the fleeing Dee.

"Dee!" Roger called out.

"Rahj!" Dee called out in reply. Roger put his arms over Dee in a hug and her hands clung to his shirt as they began weeping together.

"What are we going to do with them?" Teresa asked me.

I said, more to Roger and Dee than my fellow Officers: "I see no way of keeping you alive without arresting you and taking you to County Jail. You'll need to turn State's evidence, and tell us everything you know, and everything the Swamp Frogs... which is what I call those dirty Federal Agents... everything they did to you, and why."

"Including the emerald?" Dee asked as she grasped what I was saying.

"Especially the emerald." I replied. "You plead guilty to the original burglary charges, I'll get you the best deal I can for cooperating against the Feds, and you may be out of prison and back into the protection of your benefactors at WassermanWarren before you know it."

I then said to Teresa: "Okay, let's get out of here. We have something very important we need to do..."

Part 10 - A Matter of Trust

Midnight, becoming Saturday, November 20th. Teresa and I drove up to The Cabin. Most of the Usual Suspects had gone to bed, but Laura, Todd Burke, and Sheriff Griswold were still awake and sitting in the greatroom. Carole was also in the room, asleep on the sofa, being overwatched by the redoubtable Bowser.

"How'd it go?" barked the Sheriff.

"K'plaa!" I replied. I took the jewelry box out of my trenchcoat pocket as Carole woke up and sat up. I opened the box and showed them the huge emerald.

"The Tokay Emerald." Laura said in awe. "You recovered it." The Sheriff and Teresa were equally impressed.

"Can I see it, Daddy?" Carole asked.

"Yes." I said. "But Carole, you cannot speak of this to anyone, anyone at all, until I say you can. And that won't be for a long time. Understood?"

"Yes sir." she said. She came up to me and ran her hand along the surface of the jewel.

"It glows like green kryp-ton-ite." Carole said. Even in the dim light, the emerald seemed to glow of its own accord, and glowed even more when Carole picked it up out of the box and held it for a moment. She then handed it to Sheriff Griswold, and it was passed around to everyone, except Bowser.

Laura said "And like kryptonite, it has been deadly to many people for many years... centuries, even. Don, are you going to return it to Fort Knox?"

"No." I said. "I'm going to send it home, to its eastern European home country."

"Who in the world can you trust with it?" barked the Sheriff. "That's not exactly something you can send by parcel post."

Laura said "And I'm not sure I would trust anyone in the United States Government with it."

Teresa said "Could you take it to the Embassy or a Consulate of its home country?"

I said "No, because they'd have to find a way to ship it home... and I am sorry to say that Brendan Chapel, who was behind this attempt to steal it, is too good for them... and so is my sister Elizabeth, should she hear about it and put her forces to work."

Todd said "Do you really think my mom would try to steal it?"

I looked my sister's son right in the eye as I replied: "All I'll say is that I'm not going to permit her to be tempted to try. But to answer you, Sheriff, and Laura, there is only one person in the entire world who I believe has the integrity, and the honor, to be entrusted with this mission. And fortunately, I have the connections to ask him to help us..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

1:00am, Saturday, November 20th. Three small jets with diplomatic status landed at Town & County Airport (TCA) and taxied to the terminal. TCPD Officers were around the airport and manning all the strategic points. Waiting on the tarmac just in front of the terminal door was a small contingent: me, Teresa, Todd, and Teddy Franklin... and Carole Diana Troy.

Teresa and I were in black ninja clothing with the mon of Clan Crowbar on the back and sleeves, and I was wearing a starched overmantle, being a personal advisor to the Emperor. We were also wearing sash belts and the daishō, the sword pair. Todd and Teddy were wearing kimonos with the symbol of the Takaki Clan on them, and swords.

Carole was wearing white jeans and a white pullover sweatshirt with the Clan Crowbar icon, but not being of age (12 years old), she was not wearing swords. She did get to carry her dad's red crowbar, though, and did so proudly as she stood next to me. Todd, Teddy, and Teresa stood behind us as my honor guard.

From the first and third planes poured a contingent of Japanese soldiers... possibly the first deployment of Japanese troops on American soil since their invasion of the Aleutian Islands during World War Two. From the middle plane came the small contingent of officials, some wearing business suits, and others wearing formal kimonos.

Then Takaki Mariko descended the steps, bowed formally to us at their base, then moved to one side. We all watched as Takaki Nagamasa, Head of all Japanese Intelligence and personal advisor to the Emperor, descended the steps, wearing a gray kimono with his Clan's symbols, and a starched overmantle like mine. When he got to the tarmac, everyone bowed most formally, me as his equal, everyone else a little deeper.

We exchanged proper greetings, with Todd translating for me and Mariko for her brother Nagamasa, though he did not need a translator. Despite the security risk and the need for speed, I offered my guests water, cha or saké, which Nagamasa-san politely refused on everyone's behalf.

"Ah, who is this?" Nagamasa-san asked with a smile, looking at Carole.

"This is Carole, my daughter and heir." I replied. "Carole-san, this is Nagamasa-sama, our great friend from Japan."

Carole bowed formally and correctly. "It is an honor to meet you, Sire." she said politely.

Nagamasa returned the bow, then said "This is my sister Mariko-san. She once worked with your cousin, Todd-san." Carole bowed formally, and Mariko bowed back.

I said "I wish to thank you for performing this diplomatic task on my behalf, and returning the Tokay Emerald to its rightful owners."

"I am honored to be of service to my good friend and personal advisor of His Majesty the Emperor, the Iron Crowbar." Nagamasa replied. I handed Carole the jewelry box, and she took it up to Mariko and bowed as she gave it to her. Mariko bowed as she received it, then turned and handed it to Nagamasa, also with bows. Nagamasa opened the box enough to see that the Tokay Emerald was inside it, expressing his amazement with its beauty.

With more bows and farewell wishes, Nagamasa-san and his contingent returned to his plane, then the accompanying soldiers all bowed at once, which we returned, and they reloaded their planes. We waited and watched until the planes took off and flew east before going back into the terminal building. Teresa gave orders to disperse the TCPD, and we got into my Police SUV and headed home.

"I think you were right." Teresa said as we drove through the streets of Town. "Nagamasa-sama is perhaps the only man in the world that could be trusted with the Tokay Emerald."

"Yes." I said simply. I thought silently to myself that Nagamasa would rather slit his belly in a Tokyo sewer than betray the honor of his father's name and their family legacy going back centuries, just as his brother Takaki Taichi-sama had risen to that standard in his own supreme moment. (Author's note: 'Seriously Inconvenienced', Ch,. 05.) I had full confidence that the Tokay Emerald was in honorable, honest hands, and would be delivered safely to its centuries-old home.

Side note: I would put away the red crowbar Carole carried that night, marked with a ribbon. Less than four years later, it would be presented to her again... as a pair of samurai swords on her twelfth birthday. But that is a story for the future...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile...

The Sheriff had gone outside and was sitting by the lighted fire pot, a blanket over his shoulders as he surveyed his beloved Town & County from his perch high above. He saw the headlight of a train come out of the western horizon and then curve south as he sipped some Wild Turkey Rare Breed bourbon. Bowser was sitting next to him, and he gently petted his K-9 Officer's neck and back.

Inside, Laura was talking quietly with her guest... her sister, Melina Allgood. Melina was saying "I had no idea Don and Teresa were in the jewelry store. Did you?"

Laura said "No. He didn't tell me that he'd figured it out, nor what he was going to do. In fairness, I hadn't told him very much, either. I did give him subtle hints about the emerald, such as talking about it and about Tokay wine, and he caught on. But I didn't tell him I had another team, led by you, opposing the Swamp Frogs Black and Coleman."

Melina said "Well, you were right. Robin Isley was behind Lindsey Black and Karl Coleman's attempt to get the Tokay Emerald. I had Andrews and Toobin ready to take the emerald and bring it to me, but I thought we'd have to allow Roger Earnest and Dee Stubbs to be killed. Don managed to keep them alive, though I don't know if that is for the best."

Laura said "Yes, Don's solutions were better than any I could have come up with. And in the long run, it doesn't matter about Earnest and Stubbs." She became introspective.

"Penny for 'em." Melina said.

Laura's eyes cut toward her sister in a manner that Carole had inherited. Then Laura said "What bothers me is that my husband just took our daughter... our eight-year-old daughter... to formally introduce her to the head of Japanese Intelligence, creating new bonds between Don and Carole... that I cannot match. What happened to the little girl I always wanted?"

Melina said "Don't worry about that. She's her father's daughter, but she's her mother's daughter, too."

Laura said "I'm afraid that's not the case. Carole is growing up too fast. You're doing it right with Patricia."

Melina said "I guess I'm fortunate. Patricia likes to play with her dolls, play with her dog Dorothy... my goodness! how she and that dog love each other... and do normal 'girl' things. And Dan... well, it might do him good to spend more time with Jim, Ross, Ian, Mike... and Doug. He needs the positive influence of strong, confident brothers."

Laura said "How are the kids taking your problems with Daniel?"

Melina said "We try to keep the problems away from them. We make sure to have family dinner every night, and Daniel helps them with their homework. But even at their ages, they know something is wrong in that Daniel is sleeping in the other bedroom most nights..."

Part 11 - Standoff

7:00am, Saturday, November 20th. I had expected Carole to be tired and grumpy after having stayed up so late the night before. But she padded out onto the back deck with great energy and enthusiasm as she joined me in the metal mesh loveseat as I drank coffee and looked over my beloved Town & County in the early morning light.

"You did very well last night, Fussbudget." I said. "You showed proper good manners to Nagamasa-sama, and I think he was impressed with you. I'm very proud of you."