Woman in Love Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile, Teresa and I were having lunch at the Cop Bar. The Fire Department had taken over the 'Command Room', so we were in the main back room.

Teresa asked "So why isn't I.A. and the I.G., going after Hendricks? He was going to shoot you when you took down McCombs. That makes him an accessory to attempted murder, doesn't it?"

I replied "Well, this is the rest of that story, and don't take my head off for telling it to you: they're going to run McCombs through the processes, those being the Union grievance and the criminal charges. McCombs is fired for cause, and there's nothing the Union can do about it except try to organize and call a strike. But I heard through a secret source, whose name won't be mentioned but his initials are (F)ranklin (W)ashington, that Miriam Walters is skeptical that even Paulina can get a conviction for attempted murder."

"Why not?" Teresa said, almost gasping. "I was right there! I saw it happen! And so did other Officers. And the videocams don't lie!"

I said "Keep it calm, mon ami. Listen, I understand, and I agree with you. The assault charges should stick, and the Feds are ready to come in and charge McCombs with a hate crime, too. But the attempted murder charge is going to come down to who the Jury believes: me, or the Union's lawyers."

I continued: "Anyway, the point is that Hendricks will be far harder to convict of anything. If the criminal trial or the Inquest believes that McCombs acted legitimately, then Hendricks will never be convicted for coming to McCombs defense. Hendricks is basing his whole defense on his belief that McCombs acted correctly and that I was in the wrong. Even though we know the truth, it's likely plenty enough to save Hendricks's fat ass."

"That guy is worse teflon than Sharples ever was." Teresa said bitterly. "Hendricks showed up with Bryce at the Saskia Warehouse when I found Amy, and was going to help Bryce kill me, Amy, and Buddy." (Author's note: 'Teresa's Christmas Story Redux'.) "Yet somehow, he skated on that. And now, he's openly supporting McCombs, and he's going to skate on this, too?"

"Hendricks is fast running out of friends." I said. "His day of reckoning is coming, as is Jeremy Hatch's."

Teresa said "I guess I should count my blessings that I wasn't charged for taking down Hendricks when he tried to shoot you."

"And the Chief might yet bust you up, if you keep being insubordinate." I said, meaning it humorously.

Teresa rolled her eyes. "And that's another thing." she said. "Why won't he let you defend yourself-------"

"Just... let all that go." I admonished, realizing I'd made a mistake bringing that up that way. "And let me be the one to engage the Chief in discussions of that nature..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Laura returned from lunch to find Callie typing away at her laptop at her station. "Find anything new?" Laura asked.

"No." Callie said. "Well... I communicated with a couple of contacts I have, secret sources if you will, and they're telling me that something is up within the Intelligence Community in Washington. All these riots are part of it, but the elimination of Jocelyn Moran is part of it, too. Word I'm getting is that Dr. Robin Isley is angling to get Owen Lange's investigations shut down."

"That bitch again." muttered Laura.

"Laura, there's something else I need to talk to you about." Callie said.

"Tim Jenkins?" Laura said.

"Yes ma'am." Callie said. "I don't want to work with him any more."

"Because of his relationship with Cindy?" Laura asked.

"Yes." Callie said. "It's bad enough the woman I want to marry is pregnant with his child. But to have to work with him on top of that is beginning to be too much for me."

"Come over here and sit down." Laura said, referring to the most very infamous 'two couches' in the middle of the room. Callie came over and was about to sit opposite Laura when the older woman said "No, over here, next to me. This is not a psychological evaluation." Callie moved over, and sat down to Laura's right.

Laura was very expert in getting people to talk, even if they didn't want to. And she soon had Callie gushing her story and her concerns. "And Cindy wants Tim to be part of the baby's life, even as it grow up." Callie was saying. "I get that, but I don't want the guy around her, and I don't want to be around him, either."

"I understand," Laura said, "but I can understand Cindy's position, too. She's doing what she thinks is right by the child, too."

"Why can't she and I be parents to that child?" Callie said. "Like we are to Betsy?" She did not notice Laura's face visibly react to that. "Look, we talked about this. Cindy says one reason she wants Tim in the baby's life is because of how Sandra Speer treated Don by taking Greta away. And I get that. But... I guess I'm wondering where I'm supposed to fit in all this."

"You love Cindy, don't you?" Laura said.

"Of course!" Callie said. "I came back here for her. I couldn't stand being away from here, and now I'm fearing that... I'll lose her again."

Laura said "I get the idea that Cindy is in love with you, too. Yes, she and Tim hooked up, and now she's trying to do right for herself by having the baby, which she's always wanted but wouldn't admit it to herself, much less anyone else; and she's trying to do right by Tim as the baby's father. And where you come in is to make sure you and she do the right things by each other."

Callie said "I know I can't complain... I make porn films... but what's going on between Cindy and Tim isn't making porn films. She's pretty much dating him. Hell, they play disc golf together!"

Laura said "I did not realize disc golf was the new dating standard." Then she said "But seriously... is Cindy making her plans for the future around Tim? Or around you?"

Callie said "Well... I guess around me. But that can change on a dime with this baby on the way. And that brings up something I've wanted to ask you: How do you and Don deal with having an open relationship, and him having all those kids?"

Laura said "We talked about it... a lot... back before we got married. I was in love with the man from the minute I laid eyes on him, but I knew that even with that, there would be other sexual encounters for me, with men and women. And he understood. I don't think he intended to sleep with other women, and he said that if I told him to stop, he wouldn't sleep with anyone but me. I knew that wouldn't happen, but it works for us because we set our ground rules, we follow them, we trust each other, and what we have is beyond the bedroom."

Callie asked "But what about the other kids? They're great kids, but didn't it bother you that he was siring them?"

Laura said "Well, first of all, when I had my cancer scare and my hysterectomy," (Author's note: 'Dark Side of the Force', Ch. 02.) "I knew I couldn't give Don any more children, and he wanted more. So I was okay with it that he fathered Ross, Ian, and Tasha, especially knowing he'd do right by them as their father. And, of course, Molly is Cindy's sister as well as a good friend, and Paulina is close to us."

Callie said "Which relationship most resembles what I'm dealing with now?"

Laura said without hesitation: "Tasha, and Paulina. You know, Paulina at first didn't know if she really wanted Don in her life as Tasha's father, then decided it was best for Tasha... especially since the other relative in Paulina's life is her brother T-Square. And are you aware of Paulina's relationship with Don and me?"

"I know you're close, but what don't I know?" asked Callie.

Laura replied: "You know how Paulina stays with me and Don on the weekends. Don and I are in love with each other. Paulina and Don love each other, but it's not the same. And Paulina and I are having what most people would call a full-blown love affair. Even without Don, Paulina and I hook up on the weekends. It works out for all of us, and Tasha gets to see her father and sister and brothers a lot."

"Wowwwww." Callie said. "But don't expect me to feel that way about Tim."

"Oh I don't." Laura said. "My point is that you and Cindy need to work everything out, including where Tim is in your lives..."

Part 12 - Smoke and Mirrors

Teresa and I returned from lunch to find Sheriff Griswold using the office on the other side of the Chief's suite from mine, the office once used by Jenna Stiles. When he saw us come down the hall, he beckoned us in and had us sit down.

"I can actually get work done in here." the Sheriff growled. "The Union Reps either can't find me, or they're scared to come into this building. Ditto that for Edgar Silas and Eldrick X. Weaver. I cannot be-lieve how irritating Silas has become."

"What do they want from you, sir?" Teresa asked.

"An optical illusion." replied the Sheriff. "They think meeting with me will make them look productive and important. What they really want is to have me force Crowbar here to meet with them. I see myself as saving them from themselves by not cooperating on that." We all chuckled at that.

Griswold: "I did hear from Val Jared. Keep this under your hats, as it's not official yet, but Jared is going to call up the National Guard tomorrow. He's already given the word to the Guard's leadership to get ready."

Teresa said "Sheriff, didn't a Judge enjoin the Governor from sending the Guard into the City?"

"Yes." said the Sheriff. "Judge Mohammed Omar, one of the most far-Left judges you'll ever see. It's been said he and Harry Nance have a competition going to see who can be the most outrageous. But the good news is that they have Appellate Judges over there that aren't as Leftist as Judge Leahy over here. One of their Appellate Judges over there reversed Judge Omar's ruling, so Val is free to act."

"What triggered him calling up the Guard, sir?" I asked.

Griswold said "The politicians in Midtown were starting to wobble, and were going to come out and demand Chief Soltis pull the Police back. In other words, they were going to throw him under the bus. Jared let them know that if they didn't support Soltis, he'd call up the Guard to maintain order in Midtown."

Griswold: "And if he does that, he might as well send the Guard into the City and put down the riots there. But like the politician he is, he's going to go all public about it and make demands and threats for the optics of it. He thinks it'll help Republicans and especially Sharon Marshall in the General Election."

"And he's right." I said. "And I'll bet his poll numbers will skyrocket, and Bettina will be crying about it all morning on her newscast."

"You think so?" the Sheriff asked.

"Yes sir." I said. "People want law and order. They're tired of spineless dishrag politicians letting their businesses burn."

"Harumph." growled Griswold. "Maybe you do know something about politics, Crowbar."

"I try, Sheriff." I said as Teresa began what was laughing for her. "I try..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tim Jennings went into the Federal Building and up to the FBI's suite of offices. Jack Muscone and Owen Lange were sharing a small makeshift office, but only Jack was in the room when Tim knocked on the door.

"Come on in." said Muscone, and Tim did so and sat down at Muscone's bidding. "Anything new?"

Jennings replied "No sir. It looks like that Claisson thing was a distraction, to throw us off and waste our time looking into it. And they succeeded, though our French friends and Interpol brought the hammer down on the drug operation."

"Hmphf. Interesting." Muscone grunted. "So does CIA Officer Carrington agree that the Claisson reference is a hoax, a distraction for us?"

"I'm not sure, sir." said Jennings. "And that's what I came here to talk to you about. You may want to assign someone else to work with her. She's making it clear she doesn't want to work with me."

"Why not?" barked Muscone.

"Sir," said Jennings, "I'll be shocked if your wife hasn't told you that Cindy Ross is pregnant, and I'm the father."

"Yeah, she told me." said Muscone. "But she didn't need to. I was at Teresa's hometown, and anyone with eyeballs could see the way you two were acting towards each other. So Carrington is not happy that you stole her girl?"

"Sir, that's just it." Tim said. "I'm not trying to steal her fiancée away from her. But she must think I am, and she won't talk about it, nor talk about anything else with me, professional or personal."

"Then you need to find a way to overcome that, at least professionally, and find a way to work together." said Muscone. "So get back over there, and you guys find me some useful data."

"Well, sir," said Jenkins, "I can't go back there until Dr. Fredricson gives the 'all clear'. She said to come over here and see what you guys have found while she talks to Ms. Carrington."

"Fine." said Muscone. "But it's your job, and it's your assignment to work with CIA Officer Carrington, and I expect you to get the job done, and in a professional manner..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

EAD Owen Lange came into the Chief's Conference Room, where the Sheriff, Chief, myself, and Commander Ross already were. I poured the EAD some coffee, and he began drinking it gratefully.

"Thanks, I needed that." he said. "I came by to give you guys a heads-up on things. First of all, we're keeping these perps that you arrested the other night and turned over to us. We've been able to tie them to other riots, including in Atlanta. Formal paperwork will be following within a couple of days."

"Thank yooooo." said the Chief. "Are you rounding up 'usual suspects' in other places?"

"It might be a good idea if I just don't answer that." said Owen Lange. "Gives you guys plausible deniability." The Sheriff barked a laugh and I chuckled. Cindy and especially the Chief did not.

"Okay, let's connect to the others." Owen Lange said. I initiated the three-way call with Laura's office and the Federal Building, and soon the bright, shiny faces of Federal Agents appeared on the screens.

"There are a few things I need to tell all of you." said Owen Lange. "First, Dr. Robin Isley is no longer on the rolls as an FBI EAD. She has transferred to the National Security Agency, and I don't think even Dr. Fredricson knows the true organizational structure of the NSA. But Isley is up there somewhere very high."

"You're right, they keep things pretty tight at the NSA." Laura said. "And it's a very, very bad thing if Isley has been put there by Brendan Chapel. It's like giving a drunk teenager the keys to the Black Beauty. Isley now has all the tools she needs to really fuck with any of our personal and professional lives."

"I agree." said Owen Lange, "The second thing you need to know is that the Rovers BAU Team is in Wilmington, Delaware right now, so we don't think they're watching us right now. But before you start celebrating, that could be a bad thing... because we believe elements of the Bayport Rogue SEAL Team may be in this area, i.e. the Town & County, and if the Rovers Team and Isley are not here, that means the ex-SEALs are playing in your sandbox without adult supervision."

"Scary indeed." I said. "Do you know if all of them are here? Or just a team of two, or four?"

"At least four of them." said Owen Lange. "We have no idea why." He glanced furtively at me as he said it, then looked back away, so I knew that he didn't want to share with everyone what he'd told me about Trent Ridge being a possible reason.

"Anyone else got anything?" asked Jack Muscone. "Anything on that Claisson connection?"

"I have something on that." I said. "I heard from my sister about Claisson. She said the real Paul Claisson died in Paris two years ago. She also said that the photo of Claisson that the FBI office in Paris came up with... is at least three years old. She'd already seen it, and had figured that out."

I continued: "So my edumacated guess is that someone set that up for us to find and waste a lot of time over. And it was targeted specifically for us, right here, because people in Portland or Wilmington wouldn't know Paul Claisson from Jean-Claude Van Damme."

"That's a good point." said Jack Muscone. "But why would they do that?"

After a flurry of theorizing without data by the Federal Agents, I finally said "We just don't have data on that, so let's not speculate too much. Anyhoo, I've got local crimes and Union irritations to deal with, so if you'll excuse me, I'll leave you to it." I got up to go, and Cindy followed me out the door. The meeting concluded moments later...

Part 13 - No Honor Among Perps, nor Press

3:00pm, Wednesday, May 20th. Amber Harris went into the office of KXTC Managing Editor Bettina Wurtzburg. To her surprise, State Senator Katherine Woodburn was also in the office.

"Come on in, Amber." Bettina said. "Katherine and I were just talking about your... situation."

"Yes." said Katherine. "You're expecting a visit from your Parole Officer tonight?"

"It's all set." Amber said. "One of my sources within the Parole Office said that Cindy Ross called to set up an inspection of my home tonight."

Bettina said "After Amber gave that report about Steven Ikea and the SRLC trying to get at Betty's baby to get a DNA sample, Ross went right to them."

"Just be careful." said Katherine. "One day Ross is going to plant a gun in your home, then 'find' it... like Patrol Officer Jeremy Hatch did to those four niggers during that so-called drug stop... and then you're in a world of hurt, Amber."

"Katherine!" Bettina exclaimed. "Language! And you're supposed to be a Democrat!"

Katherine said "Oh, you ladies know that the Democrats make promises to the Black Community, but it's to keep them on the Democrat Plantation and voting Democrat. If they really thought about it, they'd realize that the Democrat Party has done nothing for blacks almost since the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed."

Katherine: "But they don't... and partly because the Republican Party is so damned stupid that they actually allow the Democrats to paste them as racists. We piss in the Republicans's faces, and they just lap it up with a smile and ask for more. And with you guys in the Media working hand-in-glove with us to keep that narrative going... it won't be too long before the Republican Party can never win an election again."

"That will be a wonderful day." Bettina said.

Katherine said "So it's all set? You've got members of Trent Ridge's team ready to capture Cindy Ross and force the TCPD to allow a DNA sample in exchange for Ross's return?"

Bettina said "No, it's an even better plan. Ross might fight them to the death, and attempting to capture her will bring down the wrath of her cousin, the Iron Crowbar."

"Why are they scared of him?" Katherine said. "Four Navy-SEAL-trained operatives?"

Bettina said "Trent Ridge and Quint Starr were SEAL-trained, too. Quint Starr was blown away after he kidnapped and tortured the Iron Crowbar's nephew, and Trent Ridge was soundly beaten twice in personal combat by the Iron Crowbar. The Rogue Team can't prove it, but they're pretty certain Trent is dead, that Troy murdered him after he went after Troy's daughter Carole."

"So what are they going to do?" Katherine said.

"I'll be at Amber's, as will my cameraman, Scott Turnbull." said Bettina. "If Ross tries to plant a gun or drugs on Amber, she'll have witnesses, too. And while Ross is harassing Amber, the Rogue Team will be going after their real target... Callie Carrington."

"Are you kidding me?" Katherine gasped. "You do realize she's a CIA Officer... and that her boss, who happens to be the Iron Crowbar's wife, is one of the most legendary and feared CIA Officers on the planet?"