Words of the Week 05

Story Info
Weekly vocabulary for writers: 6/28-7/4.
869 words
3.69
72.4k
1
0

Part 11 of the 16 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 06/04/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
velvetpie
velvetpie
1,280 Followers

Whenever I read, I keep a pencil handy and I underline words that I don’t know and dog ear the page so that I can go back and look them up in the dictionary. I have always been interested in etymology and even took Latin for three years. I hope that these words can help all of us in our writings. Be sure to check out your dictionary for additional usages of the words and spellings associated with changing the word from adjective to adverb to noun … etc.


DOLOROUS
adjective

Pronounced: dough-LORE-us

Meaning: Expressive of sorrow or affliction.

Example: In adolorous voice, the reporter described the scene of the disaster.

* * * * *

SAGACIOUS
adjective

Pronounced: suh-GAY-shus

Meaning: Possessing quick intellectual perceptions.

Example: The neighbors often came to thesagacious old man for advice about investments.

* * * * *

ERUBESCENT
adjective

Pronounced: air-ru-BES-cent

Meaning: becoming red; reddening.

Example: Cheryl’serubescent complexion made her embarrassment obvious.

* * * * *

PIACULAR
adjective

Pronounced: pie-AC-ular

Meaning: Of, relating to or involving sacrifice; sacrificial.

Example: While visiting the island of Patmos, the tourists saw an ancient altar where the Greeks burnedpiacular offerings to the gods.

* * * * *

SOLILOQUY
noun

Pronounced: so-LIL-o-quee

Meaning: A speech made by one in solitude to oneself.

Example: At the talent contest, Angelo stepped into the spotlight and recited Hamlet’s famoussoliloquy “To be or not to be, … “

* * * * *

ACICULAR
adjective

Pronounced: ay-SICK-u-lar

Meaning: Slender and pointed; like a needle in shape.

Example: Under the microscope, the crystals appear as singleacicular structures.

* * * * *

LEVITY
noun

Pronounced: LEV-it-tee

Meaning: Excessive or unseemly frivolity.

Example: The minister’slevity during the eulogy was inappropriate.

* * * * *

TANGIBLE
adjective

Pronounced: TAN-gi-bull

Meaning: Capable of being touched.

Example: The black darkness of the night seemed to have atangible quality.

* * * * *

BELLIPOTENT
adjective

Pronounced: bell-LIP-o-tent

Meaning: Mighty in war.

Example: The nation’s desire to become abellipotentpower resulted in a drastic increase in its defense budget.

* * * * *

VITRIOLIC
adjective

Pronounced: VIT-tree-olick

Meaning: Possessing a caustic, biting quality.

Example: Howard had to be reprimanded for hisvirtriolic outbursts against the referees and opposing players.

* * * * *

JUBILANT
adjective

Pronounced: JOO-bill-ent

Meaning: Manifesting or expressing exultation or gladness.

Example: Fans werejubilant when the batter hit the winning home run in the bottom of the ninth inning.

* * * * *

OSCULATORY
adjective

Pronounced: OSS-kue-la-tore-ee

Meaning: Of, relating to or characterized by kissing.

Example: Julie had no idea Shaun was talking about kissing when he asked if she would help him refine hisosculatory skill.

* * * * *

WHISPERER
noun

Pronounced: WHIS-per-rer

Meaning: One that speaks softly with the aim of preserving secrecy.

Example: Reverend Loomis scanned the congregation in vain, searching for thewhisperer.

* * * * *

NARCOLEPTIC
adjective

Pronounced: NAR-co-lep-tick

Meaning: Of, relating to or affected with a transient compulsive tendency to attacks of deep sleep usually of unknown causes.

Example: Steve becomesnarcoleptic whenever he is under deep stress.

* * * * *

RAPPROCHEMENT
noun

Pronounced: RA-prosh-maunt

Meaning: Establishment or a state of cordial relations.

Example: Therapprochement between the country’s two religious groups suffered a setback when members of one group bombed a church that belonged to the other group.

* * * * *

HERETICAL
adjective

Pronounced: herr-ET-ti-kal

Meaning: Of, relating to or characterized by departure from accepted beliefs or standards; unorthodox.

Example: A free society allows the expression of all opinions, howeverheretical they may seem.

* * * * *

MORES
noun

Pronounced: MORE-ayz

Meaning: The fixed customs or folkways of a particular group which are morally binding upon all members of the group and necessary to its welfare and preservation.

Example: Some religious groups have developed a society of their own with strict and distinctmores.

* * * * *

ILLTH
noun

Pronounced: ILL-th

Meaning: The condition of being economically unprosperous or miserable.

Example: Sharon didn’t mind her family’sillth as much as she minded the fact that they had all simply given up on any possibility of prosperity.

* * * * *

QUAINT
adjective

Pronounced: KWAINT

Meaning: Uncommon, old-fashioned or unfamiliar but often agreeable or attractive in character, appearance or action.

Example: In the middle of the ultramodern mall was aquaint tearoom that drew customers from miles around.

* * * * *

KAIROS
noun

Pronounced: KI-ross

Meaning: A time when conditions are right for the accomplishment of a crucial action.

Example: Feeling that thekairos would never be better, Barbara approached her boss and demanded a raise.

* * * * *

UNCONSCIONABLE
adjective

Pronounced: un-CON-shun-abull

Meaning: Not guided or controlled by an internal sense of right or wrong; unscrupulous.

Example: The governor was denounced for hisunconscionable indifference to the plight of the homeless.

* * * * *

FLIPPANT
adjective

Pronounced: FLIP-pent

Meaning: Treating or tending to treat with unsuitable levity that which is serious or to which respect is due.

Example: The principal chastised Clyde and his friends for theirflippantbehavior during the memorial service.

velvetpie
velvetpie
1,280 Followers