Worlds Apart

Story Info
Two worlds bent on destruction finally succeed... almost.
3.4k words
4.57
3k
6
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
bleeep
bleeep
591 Followers

Non-erotic story. Any erotic activity occurs after this story ends. I leave it to the reader to draw their own conclusions and imagine that future. You have been warned.

As my consciousness returns, I'm aware of alarms and flashing lights. Something is wrong. I'd like to say I vaulted from the cryo pod, but that didn't happen. In reality, I faceplanted, my legs had not yet decided to listen to the instructions my brain was sending. I laid there for a precious few seconds until all systems were online then stood and slapped the intercom switch on the wall. I'm a med tech. If they thawed me, someone was hurt.

"MT313." I shouted. "Status."

"MT313, we're under attack." A disembodied voice answered. I wasn't sure if it was human or computer. "Decks 3-8 heavily damaged. Deck 9 and 10 have lost life support..." Static drown out any further information and the ship lurched heavily to port, tossing me into a bulkhead.

"Shit." I muttered, picking myself up off the deck. Then I remembered I'm on deck 8. This isn't good! I scrambled back towards my cryo pod to grab my gear when the compartment started to depressurize. Apparently thing are going to Hell much faster than I realized. My only hope of survival at that point was to jump back into the pod. It was fully self-contained. I could run for the hatch, but as badly as we were damaged, I had no reason to believe the next compartment was in any better shape.

The cryo pod closed and sealed as soon as it detected my presence. Once pressurized I was in my own little survival bubble.

"Computer, status." I barked, activating the emergency communication panel.

No answer.

"Computer, STATUS!!" I screamed, like shouting at an inanimate object would somehow cause it to respond. Oddly, it did.

"MT313, ship is without drive, gravity is failing. Life support at 35% and falling due to multiple hull breeches." It spat out info in its usual dispassionate voice.

"Crew status?" I asked. The answer chilled me to the bone.

"No life forms detected." It stated.

In actuality, there was at least one, me, but in its twisted logic, since I was conversing with it, my life was a given.

"Any other ships close?" I asked.

"All other vessels destroyed." It said.

"Enemy ships?" I probed.

"Error 566. Query redundant." It said.

So we'd finally done it, obliterated each other. Well fucking three cheers for us.

"Where are we?" I inquired.

"2381.56 lightyears from point of origin." It answered.

Point of origin, I remembered sadly. That was home. It was gone now along with everyone on it most likely. As I had no way to return, that question would remain forever unanswered.

We inhabited the fourth planet in our star system. We called it Eahdahn. As we progressed technologically, we became aware of the fifth planet also being inhabited. Much later, we learned it had a name, Saadaahym.

In time, our two civilizations met. It did not go well. We have been at war for over 3000 years.

I little over 15 years ago, we developed a technology that would destroy all life on any given planet, with firm conviction to use it on our adversaries. Little did we know, they had spies. It was now a race to see who could annihilate the other faster. We both lost.

Before our worlds were completely ruined, we flung what was left of ourselves into space in anything that would fly. We needed a new world in order to live. So did they. Survival of our races was far from assured, still we didn't learn. We could have gone different directions. Space is huge, there was room, but no, we had to hunt each other. How much more death would be required before we said enough?

The war continued. Over time both sides took severe losses. We were down to half a dozen ships and by our best guess, they were in no better shape. With this last skirmish, it seems, the war is finally over. All the ships had escape pods. Maybe a few made it out, but since the computer indicated it found no life forms, that is probably unlikely.

Before they froze me, we were heading for a star system. The third planet looked promising. It was slightly smaller than our world, but had abundant water and the temperature and atmosphere were within limits.

"Computer, how close are we to target?" I inquired. Maybe, just maybe, I might catch a break.

"In the gravity well of target." It stated. "Orbit decaying, impact with surface in 1 hour 14 minutes and 6.985 seconds."

So much for luck. FUCK!!

With the help of the computer and what few automated systems that were still functioning, I managed to regain at least some control of the ship. We were still going to crash, but with the help of the gravity dampeners in the cryo pod, I might yet walk on that new world.

With less than 30 minutes before landing, hey, I can dream right?, I keyed the pod and initiated stasis. The only way I'd know if it worked was if I ever woke up again.

***

This seems familiar. I thought as I slowly opened my eyes. Once again, alarms and flashing lights. Something was different this time. I smelled something I hadn't smelled in a long time. Since I was a teenager back on my home world. Outside. I had hoped to analyze the atmosphere before being subjected to it. I guess I'm not really surprised, the hull was breached before we crashed.

This time, I waited before moving. There was no hurry now. I was here for the rest of my life. However long that might be. I was the last of my kind. My world and my people would die here. Fitting epitaph for a bunch of self-righteous zealots.

A quick search of the ship carried good news. It was largely intact. Lots of holes and beaten to Hell, but intact. It would never fly again, but it would serve as a shelter and base of operations as I familiarized myself with my new home. There was plenty of supplies and the power was holding, but I wasn't sure how long that would last. Best get self-sufficient quickly.

Sadly, I found remains of some of the crew. After decompression and the hard landing, most were unidentifiable. The med database was still active, I could have done a DNA analysis, but there wasn't really any point. I buried them, muttered a few words and wished them well on their journey. I still wasn't sure I wouldn't be joining them shortly.

Over the next several days, I scouted around the area. Life of all kinds was abundant. Plants, animals and flying things. Flying things? We had nothing like them on my world. They were definitely some kind of animal. Some were rather drab, others covered in bright colors and nearly all of them made noises. It seemed to be some form of communication. Then I discovered the smaller flying things. They were most annoying. Some bit me, others just buzzed around my face or crawled all over me. I caught a few and examined them. They seemed to be armored. Some kind of exoskeleton. They certainly weren't very intelligent. I definitely did not like them.

I should have been more careful. I didn't realize how large some of the animals were. Working in the ship one day, I heard a loud noise come from the galley. Noises weren't terribly uncommon, the ship was still settling after the crash and things still occasionally fell off, but this was different.

Moving to investigate, I hear grunting and scratching and the sounds of something eating. Peeking around the bulkhead I see a large animal. Easily larger than me, probably at least twice my mass. Dark hair covered it completely. Large paws with long claws. It reminded my of an animal from my home world, a baehrr. If it was anywhere near as bad tempered, I was in trouble. It was devouring my food stores.

I was pissed! I stepped into the compartment and yelled at the creature. Its head swung around and beady black eyes stared at me. There was no fear. I think if it could have laughed at me it would have. I grabbed a piece of nearby wreckage and moved to engage the intruder. For the most part, it ignored me as it continued its feast, at least until I struck it on the nose. MISTAKE!

I just managed to slam the compartment hatch closed before its formidable bulk crashed into it. It bellowed and clawed at the door wanting nothing more than to inflict bodily harm on me.

We had large animals on my world, but all the dangerous ones had been removed or relocated to areas where they would be no threat. It was stupid of me to underestimate the dangers of this new place. I wouldn't make it again, but I still had to get rid of my unwanted guest without getting dead in the process.

Several attempts at removing the creature were unsuccessful. I tried using noise and noxious smells. Nope. Frighten it, OK, I didn't think that one through. Defeated and out of ideas, I dug a stunner out of the stores in the armory. Even at the strongest setting, one that would put me down for several days, all it did was piss off the shambling hulk. It was becoming increasingly clear I would have to use deadly force. At the rate it was consuming my supplies, it needed to be soon.

I took no joy in this task. My people held all life on our planet as nearly sacred. (The other planet, not so much. Yeah, we were hypocrites too.)

A quick shot from one of the few still functional plasma rifles did the deed. I scanned the lifeless body and determined it would be safely edible. That was a welcome surprise. At least it didn't die for nothing.

I had been living off my stores, but after the revelation with the creature, I scanned the surrounding plants and animals. At least the ones I could get close to. Nearly everything I scanned was, or could be made to be, edible. At least I wouldn't starve.

I had spent most of the day scouting, looking for things like water sources and anything else that was useful. I would eventually need to build a shelter. Living on the ship would not last forever. Already, several systems had failed and I had no way to repair them.

The large plants seemed sturdy and some experimentation with them yielded the knowledge that, once dried out, they were solid, fairly easily workable building material. Stacking them would make a sturdy structure. Just what the doctor ordered!

I had quite a few already cut and drying. I would begin construction when they were ready. I assumed the planet had seasons, I just hoped they weren't extreme. Time will tell.

Day 23: I'd started keeping a journal, if for no other reason than to keep the days from running together. It was getting markedly colder and snow was becoming a distinct possibility. My shelter was nearly complete and with walls nearly 2 feet thick and sealed with polymer from the ships stores, it was quite cozy. I would use solar strips for heat and light, but I had included a stone fireplace as well. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Day 42: To answer a previous question, yes this planet has seasons. It's been below freezing for almost 2 weeks and the snow is several feet deep. I'm glad I have the ship to fall back on. In the future I will need to plan for the cold. Stockpiling non-perishable food will become a priority when warm weather returns. Before I lost the computers completely, I hard copied everything on survival I could find focusing on food preservation and cold weather. It all sounds simple, but I fear that will not be the case.

Day 48: I'm seeing tracks in the snow, very near to my shelter. Something large, maybe another creature like the one I was forced to kill. Can't really tell. The tracks are indistinct and the snow is too powdery to hold a shape. I need to be careful. I really need to stop saying that.

Day 53: Maybe I'm losing my grip on reality, but I swear things are disappearing.

Day 58: Nope, not crazy, things are indeed disappearing. Mostly food, but a heavy coat and a couple blankets as well. I suspect I may not be alone. I haven't encountered any indigenous higher lifeforms, but the possibility does exist. Survivors?

Day 63: Whoever they are, they are smart and sneaky. They have to be watching me. If I leave the ship for any period of time, they steal just about anything that's not secured. I'm going to set a trap. It's time I met my neighbor.

Day 66: Trap set. If they enter the galley, they will get locked in. Here's hoping.

Day 66, supplemental: Success! Something large and unhappy is locked in the galley. I can hear pounding on the hatch and bulkheads as well as things breaking.

Armed with a stunner, I keyed the door and stepped back as it slid open.

It moved much faster than I expected, but I only had to twitch a finger. The stunner discharged and my captive fell in a heap, sliding into my legs. They'd gotten way too close. I was careless, AGAIN. If I continue making this a habit, I won't live long.

It took several minutes to secure my guest, then remove the multiple layers of clothing, mostly from my stores, before a face came into view.

Even covered in filth and surrounded by matted dark hair, it was obviously humanoid and female, bearing a striking resemblance to someone from my own world. I pondered whether she might be from one of our ships.

"Behatsa... emnit." She mumbled.

My heart sank. Shit! She's Saadaahymnian. I don't know much of the language, but the curse words are well known, especially ones so vulgar.

There was still power on the security deck, so I dragged her to the brig. I left a clean change of clothes and food for her. As bad as she smelled, I hoped she'd clean up after she awoke. I probably should have just killed her, but I didn't have the heart for it. What would that really prove in the long run. Both our cultures were extinct. I didn't see the need to hurry the process. My C.O. always said I was a lousy soldier. That's why they made me a med tech.

Day 67: After breakfast, I wandered down to security to check on my prisoner.

She sat on the bed looking much better than the last time I saw her. Clean and dressed in a one piece jump suit, she glared at me. I'm sure if the force shield between us wasn't there, she'd rip out my throat.

"Hello." I said. "Do you need anything?" The translator turned my words into speech she would understand.

She spat her reply. "Fuck off you Eahdahnian scum. You should kill me now because if I get out of here, I'll strangle you with your own bowels."

I sat, dejectedly and continued. "Why?"

"You killed everyone I ever loved." She seethed.

"And you did the same." I sighed. "Look what we have to show for it. We're the last of our worlds. We've finally managed to exterminate each other."

"Not completely." She screamed. "Once I kill you..."

"STOP!" I shouted, standing and approaching the cell. "Do you think the universe really cares whether your race outlives mine? In 70 or 80 years, you'll be dead as well. I for one, am tired of death and war. We've been fighting one another for so long I'm not even sure anyone remembers why. I know I don't. We were raised to hate each other. Programmed from birth with the stupidity of those who came before us. I'm done."

"Well good for you, you pathetic coward." She sneered. "Drop this shield and I'll put you out of your misery."

There was only one way to end this. It was risky, but I really didn't have the stomach to keep her locked up permanently and I certainly wasn't going to kill her. I also found it strange she hadn't done anything other than steal food and supplies. She easily could have killed me before I ever knew she existed. I was playing a decidedly dangerous hunch, but the odds were fairly good.

I removed my knife from its sheath and laid it on the deck. I could see the hunger in her eyes as she glanced at the blade, evil, hateful thoughts flashing through her mind.

I turned and slowly walked to the control panel and dropped the shield, then sat on the console.

She was on the blade instantly. Clutching it in her left hand, she closed the distance between us, grinning maniacally.

"You're dead now." She almost chuckled.

I tilted my head back exposing my neck. "Just make it quick."

She grabbed me by the throat, pressing the blade into my skin. I flinched as the edge drew blood, but didn't resist.

"I will enjoy this." She whispered. Then she looked into my eyes. She expected hate or at least fear. What she saw startled her. She saw resignation and acceptance. She saw no malice. She needed to see something, anything that she could use to justify murdering an unarmed man. A man who refused to resist or even defend himself. She wanted to call me a coward. In reality, she could not. This was the bravest act she'd ever witnessed. Her breath caught, then her hand shook, eventually releasing the knife. It clattered as it fell to the deck. She followed it, collapsing in a heap at my feet. Then something happened that she'd never experienced before. She cried. She wailed. Great heaving sobs. She cried for her people. She cried for her planet. She cried for the young that would never grow up. Her family and friends, gone forever. Finally, she cried for the absolute insanity that had lead to her being the last of her race. In that moment she realized she wasn't a killer.

I sat on the deck tears staining my cheeks as the hate flowed from her. In time, the pain faded and she looked up at me. My eyes mirrored her sorrow. She could see I felt just as she did.

"Have we really done it after all this time?" She asked.

"It would seem so." I confirmed. "Before I crashed, the computer said no other ships were within scanner range and no life-forms were detected. Not sure how it missed you."

She chuckled weakly. "I was down here trying to confirm the viability of living on this planet. With as much animal life there is here, it probably couldn't separate me from the rest."

"Or we put way too much faith in what were, on a good day, really stupid devices designed by even dumber beings." I grinned. "So you're not a soldier either? I'm a med tech."

"Science tech." She replied. "My designation is ST871."

"MT313." I said. "So what do we do now?"

"I guess we try to survive." She shrugged. "This planet almost seems to be made for us, a veritable paradise, at least if you can stay warm and dry."

"I think it would go better if we worked together." I suggested. "Provided you don't kill me in my sleep."

She visibly deflated. "I'm not a killer, never was. Look what it's cost us. I agree, together is our best option. I'm tired of being cold, hungry and alone."

"Then I'd really like to be rid of the whole 'military designation' crap." I said. "I was born with a name, before it was taken from me. All they did was take things from me, from us. My family, my people, my home, all gone because we forgot we were people first, not weapons. I was never MT313. I'm Adam. My name is Adam."

I stood quietly for several seconds, shaken by the emotions that poured from me as I spoke. Strangely, I felt better. Like a great weight had been taken from me. I was free for the first time in my life.

My no longer adversary looked up at me and smiled. She was really quite attractive when she wasn't trying to kill me.

"I agree. Those damned designations were a pain anyway." She concurred. "Whenever the officers weren't around, we'd use our names. My name is Aehvaeh."

The translator struggled for a moment, trying to formulate the best translation. Finally it spat out its result.

"My name is Eve."

bleeep
bleeep
591 Followers