Worth the Effort Ch. 01

Story Info
Opposites could attract if one side didn't resist.
8.5k words
4.68
29.4k
57

Part 1 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 12/11/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note: As they say, it's been a minute. Hard to believe the last time I posted a story was five years ago. But I have a new one here and I hope you enjoy it. It's set in a non-COVID world, which you can take as you will - pre-COVID, post-vaccine, or just in its own little bubble. I hope you all are safe and healthy, and can stay that way.

Worth the Effort

"It's really going to happen. It's really going to happen."

Morgan Blake repeated the mantra as she drove to her parents' house. She was psyched. Soon her graphic novel would be published, and she'd just received the first printed copies. She'd spent three years working on it. Three years writing and fine-tuning and illustrating the story. Now, at last, it would be out in the world.

Which was scary, but a good scary, she thought.

She'd had mostly positive feedback while working on it, but she knew was because she'd been working with biased sources: friends and family. Even knowing that, the first pushback from her editor had been a shock, and it had taken some time to adjust. Luckily, her editor, Irene, had understood and worked patiently with her.

Now it was all going to happen, and Morgan could hardly believe it. She glanced at the box on the seat next to her, which contained the first copies ofAngles of the Worlds.

Her mother had invited Morgan and her sisters back home to celebrate, as was their family tradition. They'd marked honor rolls, high school and college graduations, and other milestones. Although the book wasn't out yet, they'd decided to celebrate anyway, and the hard copies made it all feel real.

Plus, if she was lucky, Morgan thought, her mom would make her delicious chocolate raspberry cake.

Smiling, she parked and went up to the house, hefting the box of books. Her mother came out before Morgan could get to the door.

"Morgan, congratulations!"

Morgan smiled as she was wrapped in a maternal hug. "Thanks, Mom. You look good. I like your hair."

"Thank you, sweetie." Elaine ran a hand over her sleek blond bob. "I can't believe it, you're a published author," Elaine marveled as Morgan stepped in. "It's so wonderful! Isn't it, John?"

Morgan's father chuckled. "It is. Congratulations, sweetheart." He kissed her cheekery. "Here, I'll take the box."

"Thanks, Dad."

"It's great!" Morgan's younger sister Jenna beamed and bounced over. "That is so awesome! Is that the book? How many do you have? Can I get an autographed copy?"

Morgan laughed. "Sure."

"Great. You can make it out to 'Jenna, my favorite sister, with thanks for all the hairstyle ideas,'" said Jenna. "Can't wait for it to hit the best-seller lists."

Morgan pulled Jenna into yet another hug. She loved her sister's optimism.

"Well, come on, let's celebrate," said Elaine. "I made chocolate raspberry cake, Morgan. Your favorite."

"I was hoping," Morgan said. "Thanks, Mom. I know that's a lot of work."

"How else could we celebrate for you? But it wasn't easy." Elaine cast a dry look at her husband. "I had to hide it from your father. You know how he is."

John Blake feigned innocence. "I only test for quality control."

"Quick, Morgan," said Jenna. "Let's get ours before Dad eats it all."

"He can have mine. I don't like chocolate raspberry."

Morgan sighed inwardly. She'd forgotten for a moment that her older sister wasn't usually thrilled if these events didn't focus on her. Which made Morgan wonder if Brianna had some kind of ulterior motive for showing up. Good god, she told herself, Brianna's making you paranoid. Stop it.

"I made you some cupcakes, Brianna," said Elaine. "Vanilla with strawberry frosting."

"Okay. I don't see why you'd make something we can't all eat." Brianna went to select a cupcake.

"It's Morgan's celebration," said John, "so she gets her cake. For your next celebration, you get yours. Elaine, sit down, we can get our own slices. Rest your knee."

"I'm fine for one piece. I'm even going back to the office for half days next week. Here you go, Morgan." Her mom put a big slice in front of her.

"Thanks, Mom. I shouldn't, but I will. I can't resist. And Dad's right, sit down and take it easy." Her mother had had surgery on her knee and although she was getting around well, Morgan didn't want to see her overdo.

"So will it go to book stores right away?" asked Jenna as she dug into her slice. "Are you going to do a signing tour?"

"I'm not entirely sure about distribution, but I'm sure I have an email somewhere. No, no tour, although we're going to have a party at the store. Casey insisted." Morgan owned what she thought of as a geek store with her friend, Casey Lu. They covered comics, gaming, and whatever else they thought fit the bill.

Brianna let out a noisy sigh. "I don't see what the big deal is. People publish books all the time. And it's not like it's a real book. It's a comic book. Okay, graphic novel, which is just a long comic book." She made a dismissive gesture. "How hard can it be?"

"Really? Have you done it?" Morgan asked.

"Please," said Brianna. "I'm an adult. I can read books without pictures."

"Now, girls, be good," said Elaine. She waited for the glares to subside and nodded. "It's so nice to have everyone here. I wish we could do it more often."

"Me too," said Jenna. "I'm so busy going between the two salons sometimes I don't even know where I am."

"Ugh, please." Brianna made a show of rolling her eyes. "Morgan sells comic books and you cut hair. Those are not exactly the most challenging jobs. I can't believe you get run that ragged."

"Knock it off, Brianna." Morgan shot a look at her older sister. "Jenna works hard. So do I. We don't insult your job, don't insult ours."

"Anyone can do those things. I'm an office manager for a non-profit. I'm in charge of people."

Three people, Morgan thought to herself, but managed not to say anything. Brianna wanted to pick a fight, and although it was hard to bite her tongue, Morgan held back. To be fair, Brianna probably was great at her job. She'd always had a knack for organizing and planning, and Morgan would bet her office ran more smoothly than most.

The doorbell rang, interrupting the conversation. "I've got it!" Brianna dashed from the table before anyone could say anything.

"Morgan, you shouldn't poke her like that," her mother admonished.

"I wasn't poking her," Morgan said. "I was defending myself and Jenna. I'm not going to let Brianna insult either of us."

"You know what Mom means," Jenna said. "It just gets her mad."

"Well, it makes me mad when she says things like that." Morgan arched an eyebrow at her sister. "I don't see why she gets to be mad and I have to suck it up. You want to explain that?" Jenna averted her eyes, and their parents exchanged a glance but said nothing. Morgan shook her head and went back to her cake. It was the same thing every time.

"Here we are, here we are." Brianna came back into the dining room with her boyfriend, Evan Delaney.

"Hello, Evan." Elaine stood up and went over to give him a hug. "Brianna didn't tell us you were coming tonight. Would you like some cake? It's chocolate raspberry. We're celebrating Morgan's book being published. Did Brianna tell you?"

"No, she didn't. That's great. Congratulations, Morgan," said Evan.

"Thanks, Evan. I have a copy if you want one."

"Oh, that would be great. Could you sign it for—"

Before Evan could say whether he wanted cake, or anything else, Brianna grabbed his hand and started walking towards the other room. "Come on, everyone, let's go in the living room."

"Well, all right, we should go then," said John after a moment. "I guess we're done. Go on out and sit, Elaine. I'll get the coffee going."

"All right. We can finish our cake later." Elaine stood up. "The living room is more comfortable for visiting anyway."

Morgan shook her head and stood up, taking her cake with her. Her mother and younger sister were good at trying to find the little silver linings when Brianna did things like this. They weren't wrong for doing it, and if it made things easier for them Morgan wasn't going to object. On the other hand, she felt that attitude snowballed and resulted in people giving in to Brianna on larger and larger things.

Rein it in, Morgan thought. She knew her parents could sense the tension between herself and Brianna; she knew it hurt them, and she wished it didn't. Tonight, she decided, she would not make waves. She could be quiet in return for chocolate raspberry cake.

She and Jenna and her parents found seats in the living room, where Brianna and Evan sat on the couch. Morgan sat in the love seat to their left, and Jenna joined her. Their parents settled in the occasional chairs opposite Morgan and Jenna.

"We'll have coffee in a few minutes," said Elaine. "So, Evan, how are you?"

"I'm good. And hopefully I'll be even better soon." Evan smiled and took Brianna's hands in his. "Mr. and Mrs. Blake, with your blessing, I'd like to ask Brianna to make me the happiest man on earth and marry me."

Morgan made a conscious effort to keep her face neutral as emotions tumbled inside her. She was sure Brianna had masterminded this to take the focus off her book news. Part of her was furious, and part of her was weary. Dealing with Brianna was sometimes like playing a game, and because Morgan didn't think as her sister did, Morgan came out on the losing end. Like tonight.

"Oh, oh, my." Elaine clasped her hands in front of her chest and her eyes teared up. "Of course you have our blessing, of course! Doesn't he, John?"

Her husband nodded. "If it's what Brianna wants, then certainly."

"Then there's only one thing to do," Evan said. "Brianna, will you marry me?"

"Do you have a ring?" Brianna teased.

Morgan wondered, if Evan didn't have a ring that met her sister's standards, if Brianna might say no. Then again, it was hard to imagine Brianna had left the ring selection to Evan.

"I am prepared," Evan said. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box. He went down on one knee, opened the box and held it out. "I got the brightest stone I could, but it will never outshine you."

Morgan glanced at Jenna and had to hide a smile when her sister looked as green as she felt after the exchange.

"Oh, Evan, it's beautiful!" Brianna, like her mother, clasped her hands in front of her chest. "Here, put it on, put it on!" She held out her left hand.

"You haven't said yes, yet," Evan reminded her.

"Of course, I say yes." Brianna was smiling but Morgan detected a little snap in her sister's voice. Perhaps Evan was going off-script.

"Then I'll be happy to." Evan slid the ring on Brianna's finger.

"Isn't this just lovely!" Elaine beamed. "Let me see the ring, sweetie."

Brianna held her hand out, forcing her mother to get up and come over to see. Morgan gritted her teeth as her mom limped over. It was only a few steps, but she could tell her mom was in some pain. Worse, she was sure Brianna knew it too, because when their mom had had her surgery, Brianna was the one who had organized doctors' visits and volunteer shifts.

Morgan had been grateful to her sister for that, as such things were never her own strength, but she didn't get how Brianna could be so helpful then, and so inconsiderate now.

"Congratulations!" Jenna jumped up and hugged Brianna, who tried to avoid it. "This is so awesome! Two great things to celebrate at one time."

"What? Oh, yes. I forgot." Brianna turned to Evan. "Sweetie, this is so wonderful. I can't wait to get married. Mom, you'll help with the planning, won't you?"

"I'd love to," said Elaine. "It's your wedding, so you take the lead. I'll be happy to help wherever you need me."

Morgan stood up under the guise of taking her plate into the kitchen. If she stayed, she wasn't sure she could keep her temper. She should have expected this, she told herself. It had been too much to expect that Brianna might let someone else have a little bit of a spotlight.

When will I ever learn? Morgan thought.

x-x-x-x-x-x

Shane Hunter jumped at the knock on his cubicle wall. He'd been staring at a spreadsheet for a while. Far too long, he was sure; the numbers were starting to blur. He rubbed his eyes and looked up to see his co-worker, Evan Delaney.

"Hey, man," said Evan. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Shane shook his head. "Tired."

Evan raised an eyebrow. "You wouldn't be so tired if you got out of here sometimes and stared at something besides a computer."

"We watched the baseball game at the sports bar last week," Shane said.

"You need to stare at something besides a screen," Evan said. "Maybe try interacting with people on a social basis."

"I do. I interact with you."

"You are too damn stubborn." Evan laughed. "Or are you just misanthropic?"

"Some days," Shane admitted.

"Well, you're going to have to socialize whether you want to or not." Evan grinned. "I did it. Brianna and I are engaged."

"No kidding?" Shane was pleased for his friend. "Congratulations, man."

"Thanks." Evan ran a hand through his hair and huffed out a breath. "Almost can't believe I did it. Now I just have to get through the wedding."

"You got engaged but you don't want a wedding?"

"I just don't like being the center of attention, you know that. Remember when I got that employee award a few months ago?" Evan shuddered at the memory. "It was awful. I almost passed out at the luncheon."

"Maybe you should elope," Shane suggested.

"Oh, no." Evan shook his head. "Brianna would never do that. She wants a big wedding. And I love her, so I'm not going to say no. I'll just have to get through it. Which I can do if—" he glanced at Shane "—you'll be my best man?"

"Me?" Shane gave him a puzzled look. "I mean, sure. But what about your brother?"

Evan sighed. "Wes is even worse than I am. I think he'd be okay as a groomsman, but I'm not sure he can handle more. Don't get me wrong," he said hastily, "I don't expect you to really do anything. I know there's a toast and stuff, but I don't think Wes even wants to do that."

"I'd be happy to," Shane said. "And honestly, if you do ask Wes and he says he'll do it, it's no problem."

"Thanks, man," said Evan, visibly relieved. "I appreciate it."

"So what about the bachelor party?" Shane leaned back in his chair and grinned. "Strippers? Lap dances?"

"Oh, Jesus, no." Evan paled and Shane had to laugh. Evan scowled. "Don't do that."

"Don't worry," Shane assured him. "I think we've both outgrown stuff like that."

"Definitely. Look, drinks and snacks at a bar are fine with me."

"We can do a little better than that," said Shane, "but I promise no lap dances."

"Works for me." Evan checked his phone. "I have to go. Thanks again, Shane. I know weddings aren't your favorite thing, so it means a lot."

"I don't like them for me," Shane clarified, "but if it's what you want, then it's all good."

"Thanks. Hey, before I forget, there's going to be an engagement party in two or three weeks. I'll keep you posted."

Shane winced. "Do I have to?"

Evan shook his head. "You need to get out and meet people, dude. Get away from this desk and talk to someone who isn't me. Meet a woman. Go on a date." He grinned. "Brianna has two sisters. Maybe you'll like one of them."

"What? No. No, thanks. I'm sure they're very nice, but no."

"You haven't even met them. You don't need to look so petrified."

"I'm not." He glared when Evan snickered. "I just am not looking for anything with anybody right now."

"Whatever. It's about quitting time. You want to grab some dinner or something?"

"Thanks. Wish I could." Shane shook his head. "I need to finish this."

"If you say so." Evan turned to go, then paused and looked back. "Shane, seriously, you need to get yourself a life. You work too much, and it can't be that this job is so fascinating."

"It's not, but this needs to go to the client tomorrow and I've already found three errors."

"Need help?"

"No, thanks," Shane said. "Appreciate the offer, but go on. Go see your fiancée."

"Okay. See you tomorrow."

"See you."

Shane took a deep breath and let it out slowly as he turned back to his computer screen. Evan wasn't wrong. Shane knew he spent too much time working, and it wasn't that he was a workaholic. It just gave him something to do, a ready excuse in case he wanted or needed to dodge social invitations.

Evan joked, sort of, about Shane dating someone, but his recent efforts on that front had not gone well, so he wasn't anxious to do it again. Some people would spend time with family, but aside from his half-siblings and his grandparents, Shane didn't want much to do with family.

Occasionally he'd go to a bar or a ball game with Evan, but that was about as exciting as things got for him. Truth was, he had to admit, he wasn't big on socializing.

It was a large part of the reason he'd bought a house the previous year. It gave him something productive to do outside of work, and he could do it on his own. Between that and video games and work, especially with the flu working its way through the staff, he was occupied pretty much all day. He liked that; it kept him busy, and kept people off his back about getting a girlfriend. Except Evan, he thought wryly.

Shane liked to think he had a reasonable perspective on relationships. He knew that some people were able to have strong ones, and ones that lasted. His grandparents on both sides were evidence of that, with over eighty years of marriage between them.

His parents were another story. They'd divorced before he was two, and although he'd been too young to understand, the fallout had lasted for years. Even now, his parents tried to play him against each other, and he knew that they did the same to his half-siblings.

Moving to another worksheet, Shane remembered when he'd decided not to get married. He'd been about eight, listening to his mother argue with his stepfather, who was Chloe's father. There had been insults and swearing, most of which went over his head, and his first instinct had been to close Chloe's door so they wouldn't wake her up from her nap. Even at three, Chloe could sense the tension and Shane knew the arguments upset her.

From the top of the steps outside his little sister's room, he heard Alex, his stepfather, inform his mother that she was incapable of being a decent mother, wife, or even human being because she was too wrapped up in her own drama. Nadine Smith Hunter Collins had screamed accusations back at him.

It wasn't even a new scene. Shane had seen similar ones play out in his father's house, when Steve Hunter fought with his second wife. Only the players were different, and the lines reversed.

Eight-year-old Shane had watched and listened and decided that marriage was hell, and that he wanted no part of it.

Shake it off, Shane told himself, and physically shook his head as though he could throw the memories out. His family was messed up, but as far as he knew, Evan's wasn't, and that was a better start for a marriage than many could hope for.

x-x-x-x-x-x

Three weeks after the celebration with her family, Morgan looked at Casey Lu, her best friend and co-owner of their store. "Casey, do you need me to stay tonight?" Morgan asked.

"Nope." Casey shook her head.

Casey and Morgan had become friends in college, sharing a love of comics, anime, and all things geek. Pooling resources a couple of years after their graduation, they had bought a bookstore. They named it The Neutral Zone in a nod toStar Trek, Casey's favorite sci-fi series. It was also to let people know it was a safe place for anyone who liked comics, role-playing games, and anything related. They wanted anyone who hadn't felt accepted to know they'd be accepted at their place; so far they'd been successful.