Worth the Effort Ch. 03

Story Info
Shane doesn't want a relationship, except maybe he does this.
8.3k words
4.8
11.7k
15

Part 3 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 12/11/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PennLady
PennLady
1,725 Followers

"Morgan! Morgan, are you all right?" Jenna came running in the store around four-thirty that afternoon.

"What? Yes, Jen, I'm fine."

"Why didn't you call me before?"

"Before what?"

Jenna made an irritated sound and pushed her blond hair back from her face. "Before now! Why didn't you let me know what happened last night? And Casey! Are you okay?" She turned and swept a startled Casey into a hug.

"I'm fine, Jen, thanks," Casey said. "Really."

"Casey, here are the first matchups." Morgan handed the paper to Casey, who headed back to the game room. "Jenna, I'm sorry. I just didn't think about it. It was a mess last night talking to the police and then cleaning—"

"The police were here?" Jenna paled.

Morgan felt guilty. "Slow down, Jenna. Come on, let's sit." She brought Jenna behind the counter and pulled out a stool, then sat on a chair herself. "First off, everyone is fine." Morgan told her sister about the previous night, trying to keep it focused as Jenna latched onto every detail as though it was life-threatening.

"Now," said Morgan, "how did you even find out?"

"I was at Rose's salon and this woman came in and talked about how her son had been at some card game at a store and there'd been a fight. I checked Facebook and saw posts from Vincent and some other people. I would have been here sooner but I had to work at the other salon today too." Jenna took a deep breath. "Okay. I'm good. Sorry, I didn't mean to be all crazy."

"You should always be yourself," Morgan teased.

"Ugh." Jenna made a face. "But really, you're all right?"

"I am. Shane was here and he was a big help. He even took me home."

"Shane?" Jenna's face lit up. "Shane was here? Well, that was handy."

"Slow down again," Morgan said. "He was here, he helped cover the window, and he took me home. He even stayed the night." She raised a hand to stop her sister's excited comments. "But that's all, Jen. He is a nice guy, we like each other, but the romantic aspect is not there."

"Why not?"

"Because he says it's not. And that's fine. He feels whatever he feels, and I am not going to argue."

"Oh. So you do feel that way." Jenna grinned. "Because I think you wouldn't mind arguing that case."

"Jenna." She gave her sister a look, but Jenna was unmoved. "Okay, yes, I had hoped for more. That was why I invited him to the store last night. It was partly Casey's idea to let him get a look at me in my natural habitat."

"Morgan."

"Anyway," Morgan continued, "he came and we talked and he was honest about things, which I appreciate. He's not into someone like me, and that's fine."

"'Fine.' You keep saying that word," said Jenna. "I do not think it means what you think it means."

Morgan chuckled at the reference. "I know exactly what it means. Now, let's move along."

"Yeah, that's the other reason I'm here." Jenna cleared her throat. "Brianna scheduled an appointment for the dress fittings tomorrow."

"What? No. No, I'm not going. I'm barely getting through today as it is." Morgan had been fighting exhaustion with caffeine and sugar, and was getting a headache. "Tomorrow I'm sleeping in."

"Please, come with me," Jenna said. "I'm a pushover without you."

"You're a pushover anyway," Morgan said, but rubbed her sister's arm to show she was kidding. "Besides, you know and I know it will just end up in a fight. And despite what I'm sure she thinks, I do not want to fight with her."

"You're coming to dinner at Mom and Dad's though, right? Tomorrow night, remember."

"Yes, I'll be there."

"And at the fitting?"

Morgan sighed, but caved in. Jenna had mastered the puppy-dog eyes. "All right, I'll go. For you. But I'm not trying on any dresses. I can't afford to go to the wedding, anyway."

x-x-x-x-x-x

Shane yawned as he waited for his brother. He wished his sister, Chloe, could join them, but she was on a trip to Europe. Hopefully their parents hadn't done anything too drastic that he didn't know about. He hadn't spoken to his mother or father in a while, so he could have missed something.

His thoughts wandered to Morgan. He hadn't talked to her in a couple of days, and he hoped she was doing all right after the incident at the store. She'd run through a gamut of emotions that night. He remembered her laughing, then her anger at the two men, and how she'd switched to concern for Casey and everyone else at the store. Morgan was fun, and colorful. Literally colorful, he thought, with her tattoos and her hair, which seemed different every time he saw her.

Plus her eyes were amazing and she had a sexy smile. He shook his head. No reason to go there. He was relieved when he saw Mark walk in and he could distract himself.

"Hey, man." Mark grinned and they traded a quick hug.

"Hey, yourself," Shane said. "Have a seat."

"I want the biggest Coke they have." Mark sat and huffed out a breath. "What's up? You look as tired as I feel."

"Had a rough night a couple of days ago and haven't made up for it yet."

"Oh?" Mark grinned. "What was her name?" His brown eyes shone with mischief.

"Not like that." Shane shook his head. "And you keep that up, I won't tell you anything."

"You're no fun," Mark said. The server delivered their drinks, and he sucked half of his soda down in one go. "Much better. I can feel the sugar rush as we speak."

"Do you live on that stuff?" Shane asked. "I swear I don't know how you have any of your own teeth left with all the sugar you've had over the years."

"You should talk. I've seen how you make your coffee."

"You easily drink twice as much soda as I do coffee."

"I guess I just have the good genes, and strong teeth." Mark shrugged.

"That or it will catch up with you and they'll all fall out at once."

"You're just jealous," Mark said. "I've always had better teeth." They took a break from talking to order their food, then Mark asked, "So who is this girl you threatened not to tell me about?"

"Her name is Morgan. You remember Evan?" After Mark nodded, Shane continued, "She is Evan's fiancée's sister."

"I didn't know Evan was engaged."

"Sorry, I figured I'd told you. It's a bit of a wild ride at the moment. He asked me to be his best man."

"That's cool."

"In Fiji."

Mark stared. "Get the hell out."

Shane brought him up to speed on the wedding events. "So I guess I'm going to Fiji."

"Nice. Need a plus-one? Or are you set with the sister?"

"No, it's not like that." Shane shook his head. "Morgan is cool, but we're just friends." After their food came, he told Mark about meeting Morgan at the store and everything that followed.

"The Neutral Zone?" said Mark. "I've been by that place. I keep meaning to go in."

"You'd like it. They've got everything."

"Think I'd like Morgan?" Mark asked with a sly smile.

That didn't sit well with Shane, but he ignored it. "Don't see why not. You guys both like comics and all. She's even written a book."

"No kidding? Cool."

"Yeah, she even gave me an early copy." Ha, take that, Shane thought, wondering why he didn't like the idea of Mark being interested in Morgan.

"Awesome. So what's the problem?"

"Who says there's a problem?"

"You stayed at her place and nothing happened? Come on, man. What's up?"

"Nothing. We just don't have a lot in common. She's into this game, Gathering Magic, and science fiction and all. I'm not."

Mark snickered. "It's Magic: The Gathering, you idiot."

"I rest my case. She colors her hair—blue and purple. She has tattoos. She probably knows more about movie spaceships than I know about anything. I like her, but she's just not my type."

"Keep talking, maybe you'll believe it."

Shane shot him a dirty look. "I'm not her type either, I bet," he said. "I wear a suit to work every day and stare at financial statements."

"So you think because she's a geek and you're a corporate drone, there's no common ground."

"Well, we both think her sister is going nuts with the wedding plans."

"Shane. Dude."

"Look, I don't know what you want me to say. I like her fine. I just don't think anything will happen. Let's drop it, okay?" Shane downed the rest of his water.

"Okay." Mark shrugged. "You going to see her again? Maybe you could introduce me."

"You don't need me. Just go to the store."

Just because he didn't want to date Morgan didn't mean he wanted to set her up with his brother. Or did that mean he did want to date her? Why was it so messy? Shane liked things neat and orderly, like his numbers. And when he found a mistake in the figures, he could trace it back and fix it. He wished he could do that with people.

Mark shook his head. "Shane, man, you can't keep finding obstacles to every relationship possibility that comes up."

"Yeah, well, can you blame me? My last relationships have not gone well. Remember?" Shane counted them off on his fingers. "Alice was ready to get married after like six months. Jeanine stalked me after we broke up. Lisa cheated on me."

"I know, that sucks," Mark said, genuinely sympathetic. "But let me play devil's advocate for a minute. Alice seemed really nice, and I think you broke it off because you were scared of commitment. Jeanine—well, okay, you're right. You told me yourself, though, that Lisa cheated to make you jealous because you wouldn't commit. That's twisted logic, no question, but I see what she was aiming at."

"I'm not good at commitment," Shane said, "and I am up front about that. I told Alice pretty early that I wasn't looking to get married, but she thought she could change my mind."

"Maybe she could have, if you'd, I don't know, been a bit more open-minded."

"Mark, we've been over this. I am not going to repeat my parents' mistakes, and the first step there is not getting married."

"And I imagine it's easier if you bury yourself in your work and your house and say that you don't have time to see anyone, right?" Mark raised an eyebrow as he drank some more soda.

"What? I'm not—We've just been swamped." Shane thought for a minute, then sighed. "Fine. You're right. I've been hiding in work. Satisfied?"

"And how's that going?"

"Pretty well, except for not having much a life. There's talk of forming a new group and I'm in line to head it up."

"That's great, but you shouldn't let it take up all your time," Mark said

"It doesn't. I work on the house on the weekends."

"Alone, I'm guessing?"

Shane gave his brother a wry look. "I don't see you coming over to help."

"I'd break the house, and you know it. Look, you don't know Morgan very well, right?"

"No. I've only seen her a couple of times and there was never much time to really talk."

"Okay." Mark nodded. "Then why don't you ask her out? Why don't you actually take the time to get to know her and see what you have in common. I mean, fine, you don't read comics, but that doesn't mean there won't be other things you like."

Shane considered. So far he and Morgan hadn't been together under the best circumstances, and even so, he liked her. Maybe Mark was on to something.

"All right," said Shane. "I'll ask her."

"Give her a real chance." Mark gave him a knowing look.

"All right already," Shane grumbled. He hated it when Mark had a point.

x-x-x-x-x-x

"This will be fun," said Jenna on Monday. "Getting to play dress-up with all the gowns."

"If you say so," said Morgan. "I told you. I'm here to keep you company. My original plan involved more sleeping."

"Oh, come on." Jenna nudged her. "You can try stuff on too."

"There's no point, Jen. I can't afford to go to the wedding. I'm certainly not buying a dress I'm not wearing."

She would, however, help Jenna buy hers, she'd decided. Jenna was such a sweetheart. She was genuinely enthused about Brianna's wedding, and participating in it. Morgan held her boundaries with Brianna, but she was a softer touch for Jenna.

They walked into the store and gave their names to the sales clerk, who led them to a room off the main floor. Brianna was there with four other women, and there was a table with coffee and a selection of crackers and cookies.

"You finally got here." Brianna gave her sisters an irritated look. "About time."

"Hi, Brianna. I'm good, thanks. How are you?" Morgan smiled brightly.

"Hello, I'm fine, you're late." Brianna glared. "Thanks for holding us up."

Morgan checked the time. "Actually, we are ten minutes early. So anytime you want to get started is fine with me."

"Couldn't you dress up even a little?" Brianna asked.

Morgan assessed her clothes. She wore jeans, sneakers, and a t-shirt with a dragon on it and a lightweight jacket. The latter was to cover her tattoos to avoid a scene about them with Brianna. Most of the women were dressed similarly, in jeans and tops, although admittedly nicer than hers.

"Sorry." Morgan shrugged. "I didn't realize. I figured since I wasn't going to try anything on, it didn't matter."

"What do you mean you won't try anything on?" Brianna bristled.

Morgan sighed. "Brianna, why don't we talk about this in private?"

"Oh, fine. Hold on, guys, while Morgan gums up the works yet again." Brianna stalked out of the room.

Morgan closed her eyes and took a deep breath before following. Brianna's friends traded uncertain glances as Jenna trailed after her sisters.

"What is it?" Brianna snapped.

Morgan counted again before talking. "Okay. Brianna, I've told you before, and it's still true. I won't be able to go to Fiji. I am happy to help you celebrate in other ways, but I can't do that. Since I can't do that—"

"You're—you're boycotting my wedding!"

"No, Brianna, I'm not. I simply can't afford to go."

"For god's sake, Morgan. Grow up. Charge it. Get a loan. Jesus. It's the biggest day of my life and you are putting yourself first, like always." Brianna threw her hands up. "For once can't you think of someone else?"

Jenna glanced at Morgan and stepped in. "Brianna, it is expensive. And Morgan is offering—"

"God, not you too." Brianna scoffed. "Let me guess, you can't come either."

"Well, I'm working on—"

"What?" Brianna all but shrieked. "Now you aren't coming either?"

"No, Brianna, that's not what I said. I want to come," Jenna tried to soothe her older sister. "I'm just figuring it out, that's all."

"If Jenna can do it, why can't you?" Brianna whirled on Morgan.

"As you said, how other people spend their money is not my business," Morgan said. "How I spend mine is up to me. I am telling you, with plenty of notice, that I am unable to attend your wedding. Since I can't do that, I will not be trying on dresses." She kept speaking, overriding Brianna as she tried to interrupt. "You had to realize that not everyone could afford a destination wedding. I am happy to help with other things. I can make phone calls, or get price quotes, or whatever."

"I don't need you to do that. Mom is doing that."

"Fine, I can help Mom."

"Mom doesn't need help," Brianna snapped. "I need you to come to my wedding. If you don't, the wedding party won't be even. It has to be even!"

"No, Brianna, it doesn't." Morgan sighed. "Look, I'm sorry. I just can't do it. There must be someone else you can ask."

"You could if you wanted to. You have credit cards, for God's sake."

Morgan narrowed her eyes. "You don't get to tell me how to spend my money, especially not after you stuck me with the bill after that dinner."

"You deserved that! You embarrassed me in front of everyone." Brianna glared at her.

"Brianna, I'll admit I may not have handled things ideally, and I'm sorry for that." Morgan took a steadying breath. "Maybe you don't realize how embarrassing it was to come back out find myself faced with a bill of over three hundred dollars? What if I couldn't afford it?"

Brianna scoffed. "Again, credit cards. Use them."

"I did, and so did Shane."

"Shane? What do you mean?"

"Shane paid half the bill."

"Why?"

"Because he's a nice guy and wanted to help me out."

"Gave him a sob story, did you? To get his sympathy. Then I bet you tried to sleep with him. That would be just like you."

"Jesus, Brianna." Morgan was angry now. "What is wrong with you? Not that it's your business, but he is not interested in me that way. And I didn't sleep with him."

Brianna ignored her. "I can't believe you are trying to fuck Evan's friend and ruin my wedding, in whichever order. At least he had the sense to see through you. Why you thought he'd be interested in a geek like you is beyond me."

"What the fuck—" Calm down, Morgan told herself. You cannot win this. Even if you are right, you cannot win, she will not let you.

She glanced at Jenna, who was distraught. Poor Jenna, she thought, always torn between the two of us. Unfortunately, there wasn't anything she could do. Jenna would have to pick a side, and it would be better if Jenna realized she could pick her own side and not just Morgan's or Brianna's.

"Enough," said Morgan. "Just, enough. Brianna, I will not discuss this anymore. Jenna, I'm going to leave, but let me know if you need anything."

"Oh, okay." Jenna touched Morgan's arm. "But you'll be at Mom and Dad's tonight, right?"

"Yes, I'll see you there."

"Unless you decide you can't afford it," Brianna said icily. "Come on, Jenna. You and Morgan have delayed everything long enough."

Jenna started to respond, then didn't and followed Brianna back. Morgan shook her head. Brianna didn't usually attack Jenna directly, mostly because Morgan was there to take the heat. But she couldn't always be the buffer, Morgan thought. At some point, Jenna would have to deal with Brianna herself.

x-x-x-x-x-x

Morgan went home and took a nap. After a nap and a shower, she felt more prepared to go to her parents, although she wasn't looking forward to it. She had a feeling Brianna wasn't finished with her.

Once again, she was between a rock and a hard place, emotionally speaking. If she didn't go, Brianna would no doubt go on at length about how Morgan was ruining everything. If she did go, Brianna would no doubt continue attacking her over the wedding. Damned if she did, damned if she didn't.

Morgan didn't want it to be this way. As she'd told Shane, Brianna did have her good points. She was an organizing whiz, which was why she did so well at her job, and she'd step up in a pinch. Morgan recalled being dumped by a boyfriend once, and the asshole had driven off, leaving her in the middle of nowhere, and Brianna had come to get her. There'd been a bit of scolding, but she'd put it up to Brianna being worried.

Focusing on those good points, however, wasn't helping at the moment. She sighed and decided to stop by the store before going. Maybe Casey would have some advice.

"Hey, Morgan. Isn't it your day off?" Casey asked as Morgan entered.

"I'm just checking up on you."

"Yeah, well, fuck off." Casey stuck her tongue out.

"In fine spirits, I see." Morgan laughed. "No, really, I'm just off to my parents' for a family dinner and thought I'd come by."

"Ah, you need advice." Casey grinned. "Is it about Shane? Need to know how to break the news of an unexpected but intense relationship?"

"You are ridiculous. I feel like I need to send out a group text or something. There is no relationship between me and Shane."

"Awww."

Morgan smiled. At least Casey would take her at face value on that and not argue.

"Anyway. I need to try to avoid a meltdown at a family dinner."

"And you're asking me?" Casey shook her head. "Remember how it went when I came out? My mom and I are always at each other's throats, you know that. Meltdowns are how we communicate."

"Maybe I need help from someone who's been there, then." Morgan told her what had happened earlier in the day. "I have debated going, and not going, and there is just no good option."

"Wow." Casey gaped. "Brianna did that? Wow. I am just—wow."

PennLady
PennLady
1,725 Followers