Wotan's Hounds Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Here, where else? Humans on the whole are smart. They have to be with no other defences and here we have some very cunning men. Once they've been hunted in one way, you have to change tactics or else go hungry," Froh explained.

"You eat them?!" Odin exclaimed.

"No, but on hunt nights the winners chose the victory meal, and none of us can stand curry. So Saturday nights, we either win or go hungry,"

"There's not a lot to do round here at the weekends. It's not like we can nick into Keswick and go dancing." I added.

We were walking back to the barracks now, and Odin had dropped his superior manners and was letting his curiosity show.

"Have you ever left the camp?" Odin asked.

"Sure, we go up to Carlisle once in a while, mainly for books or clothes, that sort of thing," I offered. "We went down to London too, a couple of months ago, as a going away present from the Major, that was fun. We stayed in such a posh hotel."

"Which one?" Odin asked.

"The Ritz, can you believe it? We actually stayed for a week at the Ritz. We had to dress for dinner and everything," I said.

"Yeah, such fun," Siggi muttered. "Having to fight my way into a monkey suit just to get some scran."

"It is nice there, I used to have one of the suites when I first went down to university," Odin said. "I use to stare out of the window in my study at the park when it all got too much."

"Really?" I was gob smacked. "Just how rich are you?"

"Well, we used to own a large area of Northumberland; over the years it got sold off, so not as rich as we once were. I guess my annual income from the farms and different investments would come to a little under twenty million. Obviously not all of that is spent," Odin said when he saw the shock on our faces. "Most goes back into safe investments, or is used to help the clan. It is also for them that I am here."

"How come?" asked Froh.

"As my first children, the eldest of you will one day take on the role as clan leader. Now that may not be for many years yet, but it is vital that I begin your training now. We have lost so much time."

"Tough luck, big brother," Siggi sniggered. "All that schooling and no playtime in the army."

"Lord Odin, as good as that sounds, I have obligations," Froh said. "I'm going away on basic training tomorrow; it's something I've been looking forward to for years now and I'm sorry, I'm not giving that up for a man I've known less than an hour."

"I suppose I should feel relieved that you honour your commitments," Odin said. "Is that your final word on the matter?"

"For now, yes," Froh replied. "You said yourself that we had years ahead, just give me a few of those to find myself."

"Granted," Odin said with a sigh. "And you, Sigfried, you wish to go with him?"

"Try and stop me," Siggi said.

"After seeing how you move as a team, I would not dare," Odin replied. "Daughter, are you also committed to the human army?"

"I haven't signed up if that's what you mean," I said. "But I was going to be working with Captain James on tactics and small arms, that sort of thing. I guess I could go back with you and have a look at your set up."

"Excellent," Odin said, satisfied he'd gotten one of us at least. "We can leave straight away."

I stopped dead at his tone. The superior voice was back, and I knew if I let him walk all over me now, I would regret it in the long run.

"No, we can't," I replied. "I have a few things to get sorted out first -- the main one being if you think I'm going away with you without some company, you're barking up the wrong tree."

"I see," Odin said, "And what kind of company did you have in mind?"

"Well, for starters, Captain James." I said.

"A human? No." Odin declared.

"Then I'm staying right here," I said. "I've known Captain James since I was twelve years old. He's my best friend," I growled at Siggi when he muttered, "Amongst other things," but it was true. Despite the formality we had kept between us over the years, Captain James was almost as close to me as my brothers. If I couldn't have them next to me when I went with Odin, I wanted Tom.

"Does it really mean that much to you?" Odin asked.

"Yes, he does," I answered, with a stress on the word 'he" -- "it" indeed!


"You should not get attached to humans, daughter," Odin counselled. "They age and wither so fast."

"Oh, go to hell, you pompous twat!" With that, I ran back to the barracks as fast as I could, thanking my lucky stars that Mum had raised us by herself. I hated to think how I would have turned out if they'd stayed together.

I burst into Mum's room, and slammed through the curtains. The witch looked up in alarm, jumping to her feet and turning to run out the door when my brothers arrived without Odin.

"Where is he?" Carla demanded in a shrill voice. "If you've hurt one hair on his head, I will personally damn you for the rest of your lives."

"Why, Carla, I never knew you cared so much about me, though I have to say your lack of faith in my abilities and my children is hurtful at the least," Odin had strolled through the door shortly after the boys. "Daughter, would you please join us?"

"That all depends on what you have to say Lord Odin," I said, coming out from behind the curtain pulling my T-shirt down over my belly. "If you continue to disparage my family -- and these humans, as you call them, are my family -- then I can't think why I should."

"Daughter..." Odin began.

"It's not polite to speak about other people when they can't understand you. If you wish to talk, then change. Use the curtain if you're shy." I sat down at Tom's feet and waited for Odin's reply. He nodded curtly to the witch, and she followed him, pulling his robe out of her bag. Once he was back, and the boys were changed too, we sat in two rows and watched each other warily.

"Daughter, I can understand why you have such feeling for these humans," Odin began. "You have been subjected to their company for your whole life but you must see that you are not like them."

"What I see is that I am more like them than I am like you, and that's what's pissing you off right now," I retorted. "They at least stuck around to help raise us, when you disappeared off."

"I did explain that I had no way of finding you," Odin said.

"Bullshit," I replied. "You've never heard of detective agencies then? Or are they too human for you?"

"Is there anything I can say that will convince you that I had no choice?" Odin asked.

"Probably not; no," I said. "What you can do is stop acting all high and mighty just coz you've got a few pennies in your pocket."

"More than a few pennies, Sister," sighed Froh.

"Alright, a few million pennies then. That's still no reason to act like you can waltz in here and start dictating terms," I said. "You are our father in name only. If you want anything more than that you'll have to work a hell of a lot harder than you are now."

"Very well," Odin replied. I could see how hard it was for him to keep his anger at bay, but he was the one who came looking for us. We'd been doing fine without him for years now and we could have carried on for years more quite happily.

"As you know, I wish you to come and live with me at the clan estate, to learn about your heritage," Odin went on.

"And I've said I will," I said. "But I can't just go wandering off into the night with you. There are things I need with me."

"Such as?" Odin asked.

"Well, clothes would be a good start. Then there's all my books and my bed; I'm not leaving them behind," I continued.

"Anything else?" Odin said.

"If he'll come, I'd like Captain James join us," I replied.

"Daughter . . . " Odin began.

"I have a name; it's Flossi, not daughter," I said.

"Flossi, humans can not live with weres," Odin said, "We are too different."

"We've managed fine so far," I protested.

"Yes," Odin said, "Because until today, you have not been full weres. Trust me when I say you will tire of him before long; tire of how quickly he ages, how slowly he moves. It is not fair to keep him."

"Is there no way I can change?" The question came from Tom and surprised me. I wondered how long he'd been thinking about this.

"Carla? Can you explain this?" Odin asked.

"Of course, Lord Odin," Carla replied. "It is quite a complex spell, and one that requires a deep level of understanding about the self involved. It is not something to be undertaken lightly, on a whim. It will change the rest of your life. You will see your whole family, your children and grandchildren included, die while you stay young and fit."

"That won't be an issue," Tom said. "I'm an only child, my parents are dead, and I haven't a wife or children."

"That is positive at least," Carla said. "I must warn you though that the first few times the change can be painful."

"Toots, I'm in the army," Tom smilingly replied to Carla. "Pain doesn't scare me and neither do you."

I turned to Tom and stared at him. I was looking for any sign that he was regretting asking the question. He looked straight back at me, letting me into every part of his mind. I saw his reasoning clearly there, mixing in with his feelings for me that he'd only just acknowledged.

"Do you know how long I've watched you and your brothers and wished I could be like you?" Tom asked me. "To run free like that would be fantastic." There was such longing in his words, and in his mind, there I knew he truly wanted to do this.

"Very well," Odin stood and turned to the Major. "Is there a place we may sleep tonight?"

"Yes, we have guest quarters," the Major said. "If you'd like to follow me. Captain, I'll see you in my office in ten minutes."

Major Williams led Odin and his party out. Tom stood to leave too, though he frowned when I got up to go with him.

"Where do you think you're going?" he asked.

"With you," I replied.

"You don't have to, I'm a big boy."

"Yes, I know; remember?" I said with a smile. "I'm still going with you though."

"Come on then, better not keep the Major waiting."

In the Major's office, we settled down in the hard fabric chairs that faced his chipboard desk. The walls were painted a stark white, with countless holes in them from pinned up maps and exercise briefings. This was Major Williams "official" office, the one he used for punishments and other business that would generate reams of paperwork.

Mostly Major Williams could be found in the officer's mess, in a squishy leather armchair he had brought with him seventeen years ago when he took command of the camp. He was a complete gentleman in there, coffee on one side, pipe on the other and one of his Peninsular Campaign books being scrutinised under his razor sharp stare.

That same stare was directed at us both a few minutes later. Though Major Williams had acquired a few grey hairs and a pair of half-moon glasses, he had changed little in all the years I'd known him. Right now he couldn't decide if he was angry and exasperated with us, or more than a little pleased that we were sticking together like this. Finally he sighed and took his glasses off, laying them on the table in front of him.

"Captain, I get the impression that if I were to give you a direct order to quit this nonsense I would be told where to stick it," Major Williams began. "So, instead of having to deal with the court martial that would follow, I have chosen to simply remind you that you are still an officer in Her Majesty's British Army and that if you do leave this camp it will be as a guard to the young lady beside you. If during that time you find it prudent or useful to undergo some sort of transformation, it will be noted as such in your records and no further action will be taken against you. In fact you may find that you are given more assignments once you have gained new skills, do I make myself clear?"

"Perfectly, as always, Sir," Tom replied.

"Good; then I suggest you pack and make your farewells," Major Williams said. "I have the unenviable task of choosing your successor. Have you any thoughts on the matter?"

"Lieutenant Park is a good man, Sir; keen, eager and the men respect him," Tony replied.

"Yes, that was my thought too," Major Williams said. "I now have to run it past headquarters, which will be interesting. Well, I am going to miss you Captain, and you little one." Major Williams' gaze softened as it fell on me. "I never thought I would have a family. Thank you for letting me borrow you for a little while."

Impulsively I got up and walked round the desk. I leant down and hugged Major Williams, receiving a tight squeeze and a kiss on the cheek in return. I hadn't realised how much I was going to miss him until now. He'd always been in the background, but I'd always thought he'd be there forever. All of a sudden he wasn't going to be there and that was a scary thought. But it was me who was leaving, not him.

"Go on, now," Major Williams said. "Have a good life, little Flossi."

I stood to attention and gave him my best salute, as a tiny tear rolled down my face. The warm little smile I got back was worth a thousand words of praise from any lesser man.

12