You Could've Heard a Pin Drop Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

One Saturday evening we had a private party at the pub that went past the normal cut off for food, actually it was a wedding rehearsal dinner. The young couple had met in Connor's Pub and thought that would be the perfect place for the rehearsal dinner. The Chief, I mean Jasper, I still wasn't entirely comfortable calling him anything but the Chief, stayed over and kept appetizers and finger foods coming out of the kitchen. He said that love needed all the help it could get as he pointedly looked at Juanita and me.

That late Saturday night was a sort of turning point in the "Get your head out of your ass" operation as the Chief called it. Juanita and the Chief lived in the same apartment building and worked together so they spent a lot of time together. He told me that he and Juanita had talked a lot about me. Jasper said that I was wasting an opportunity here and wasn't real happy with me for not trying to get closer to Juanita.

His exact words were, "Shit or get off the pot son, that boy needs a father and Juanita needs someone to love." Jasper wasn't the most eloquent of speakers but he got his point across.

Juanita's car was in the shop that night and Jasper said he had to meet some buddies so I gave Juanita a ride home. I stopped in front of her house and lean across my truck to help open the passenger door; sometimes it sticks. As I moved to help with the door, Juanita moved to give me a kiss on the check as a thank you which she usually did. I turned the wrong way or she moved the right way and the kiss meant for my cheek was directly on my lips.

We both pulled back in surprise and she started to apologize but Jasper's, I mean Cupids, arrow had hit its target. I pulled Juanita to me and really kissed her. Our normal two minute good night turned into a half hour make out session in my truck. We didn't go nuts and rip each other's clothes off or anything but there was a lot of kissing and holding and caressing.

The next morning I had a hard time keeping a smile off my face. I think I was truly happy for the first time since my grandma had passed away. Yes James and I lost one of our "ladies" to a heart ailment and old age about six months after James and I opened the pub. James was still living with our mother in the house we had bought for her and my grandma.

The Chief came in and as he walked by me he said, "Finest kind Sergeant." He didn't stop and went on into his kitchen. I watched him go by and when I turned Juanita was standing there.

"Finest kind Sergeant Jake," she said with a big grin as she came and hugged me. I guess she felt the same way as I did about last night.

That started a new phase of my life. Juanita and I didn't rush anything we just enjoyed our time together. Sometimes on her day off we would do something with William, like a real family. Sometimes we would leave the boy with Lupe and go on real dates. Other times we would go out after the pub closed; there wasn't a lot to do that late at night but we had a good time anyway.

It was on one of these dates that we took the next step in our relationship. We were going to a late movie after the pub closed the kitchen down and I ran upstairs to my apartment to change my shirt. After ten minutes or so Juanita followed me upstairs to see what was taking me so long; I was having trouble deciding what shirt to wear. It was funny because I never worried about how I was dressed before Juanita; it was always T-shirts and jeans.

She started to help me and I found out that the combination of Irish and Mexican made Juanita a very sexual person. Of course I did my best to uphold my Irish heritage also. I guess I'm being too subtle here, what I meant to say was we went at it like bunnies. It was a very exhausting but enjoyable evening and morning.

Neither of us mentioned moving in together or marriage; we just enjoyed each other and had an unspoken understanding that we were a couple. Master Chief Quinn walked around strutting like a peacock because he felt he had been responsible for bringing us together. One evening Juanita had a school thing to go to and I stayed at the pub with James. When he would get a break from serving customers, I talked to my brother about my feelings since Jackie, about my feelings for Juanita, and my conflicting emotions and ideas.

"I think I love her," I said in answer to James question about where my head was. "I'm afraid of getting hurt again. I can handle it but I just don't want to go through the pain again. God, I sound like a big wimp don't I?" I asked with an embarrassed laugh.

James laughed with me and said, "You've already changed your thinking, I mean look at what's going on between you and Juanita. If you don't grab her up some guy smarter than you will. It's time to stop sulking and get on with your life and leave that bitch Jackie behind you," James told me forcefully. My brother has a unique way of cutting through the bullshit.

That night after closing the pub I took Juanita home, William wasn't feeling well and she didn't want to go out that evening. After she checked on him we sat on her front porch, snuggled and talked. I decided to take my brother's advice; I put the past behind me and took a step to get on with my life.

That night, completely sober and completely dressed and not in the heat of a sexual moment I told Juanita that I loved her. I knew she cared for me but I didn't know how she would react because we had avoided any discussion about our relationship. I waited expectantly for her to say something.

Juanita had tears in her eyes as she hugged me very hard and said, "Finest kind Sergeant Jake."

The next week to ten days were the happiest I had been in a long time. I secretly bought an engagement ring and planned to propose to Juanita at the pub in front of my brother, the Chief, and several of our regular customers that had witnessed the growth of our relationship. Nice idea, it was romantic; a good plan.

About 8 PM on Friday night I was working behind the bar so that James could take a break after the usual first rush of business. When James came back I planned to come from behind the bar, call Juanita over and when she got there I was going to drop to one knee and propose; right in front of God and everybody.

Men plan and the Gods laugh.

I had my head down restocking one of the coolers when I heard a voice from my past. "Hello Jake, it's been a long time. I like the pub, you're doing very well I see."

Looking up I saw Jackie sitting at my bar. I've heard people talk about their heart being in their throat, I've heard people talk about having a sinking feeling in their chest, and I've heard people say that the hair on the back of their neck stood up but until that moment I believed that was just talk.

Now, I understood because I was experiencing all three feelings and more. I was stunned and speechless. It had been over three years since I last saw Jackie but all the hurt, anger, and feelings of betrayal came back in a second.

"Buy an old friend a drink Jake?" Jackie asked as if nothing had happened between us.

My first thought was to tell her to get the hell out of my pub. But I didn't want her to know how much her actions years ago had affected me and still did to this day, so I played it cool. I poured her a glass of white wine and set it in front of her.

"You remembered, that's sweet," she said. After I had poured her drink she asked, "Aren't you going to join me? It's sort of a celebration, I mean seeing each other after all this time."

"Jackie, what the hell is going on? What are you doing here?" The tone in my voice was less than friendly.

"C'mon, have a drink with me and let's talk for a little. Please!" She put her hand on my arm and looked at me with the special little smile that used to drive me nuts. Jackie had always given me that smile just before we would make love.

"I limit myself to one drink a night, usually after we close." I pulled my arm away from her hand and repeated my questions. "What are you doing here and what do you want?"

Over Jackie's shoulder I saw James come back inside after his smoke break and stop at the kitchen pass through to talk to the Chief; Juanita was standing there waiting for her order. Jasper asked him something and James looked in my direction. The bar and the kitchen are at least forty feet apart but I distinctly heard James say, "Oh shit", when he saw Jackie sitting on a bar stool.

Juanita listened as James appeared to be explaining who Jackie was, what she had meant to me, and what had happened. The Chief said something like "that bitch" and other choice descriptions learned from a life time in the Navy. It would have been funny and educational if I hadn't been involved. Juanita decided that now would be a good time to put in a drink order and came to the waitress' service area at the end of the bar.

"Jack Daniels on the rocks, splash of water and a rum and coke tall," she ordered, purposely not looking Jackie's way. Normally she would have gone on to serve another table but this time she stood there watching as I filled the order.

"Jake I know who she is but what does she want?" Juanita whispered as I put the drinks on a serving tray. I shrugged my shoulders and shook my head in answer and she told me, "I suggest that you find out." Her Irish temper was beginning to show.

I moved the scheduled time for my one drink of the night up a few hours and poured three fingers of Jack Daniels over ice; I needed it more now than later I thought. Jackie smiled when she saw me with a drink and her face sort of lit up thinking I had decided to join her after all.

I had to admit that she looked good. She was more mature and had developed from a pretty girl into a beautiful woman. Her auburn hair was cut shorter and she wore less make up than she used to but Jackie was drop dead gorgeous and she knew it. She saw me inspecting her and preened a little as I came back to where she was sitting.

"One more time, what do you want Jackie?" I said with anger; it let the air out of her a little.

"Okay, no idle chatter huh?" She hesitated for a second and hit me with a sledge hammer. "I want us to get back together." Jackie held up her hand as I started to explode. "Please Jake hear me out. I know I screwed up royally three years ago, but I've matured and know what I want now. I wasn't sure back then and instead of talking to you and maybe postponing the wedding I did some stupid things." She had her head down as she spoke but now she looked into my eyes.

"I know you still care for me, maybe even still love me. I saw it in your eyes when I sat down at the bar. Please let's see if we can get back to where we were. I've never gotten over you Jake and I still love you." Jackie finished and looked at me expectantly.

"Not going to happen Jackie. That look you saw was disgust. I'm in love with someone else and if she'll have me I'm going to marry her." I have to admit it felt good to watch Jackie deflate a little.

"But I still love you," she pleaded.

"Do you remember what I said to you the last time we talked?" Jackie shook her head no.

"I told you that if you still loved me that it was your misfortune. I said that I still loved you and that would be my cross to bear until I could get you out of my heart." I paused and then continued, "It's not my cross anymore, I don't love you and I'm the better for it. The wine's on me, now for the last time good bye Jackie."

When I turned away Juanita was at the service area watching and listening. She had a big smile on her face and her eyes looked moist. I had been so intent on telling Jackie to go to hell that I hadn't know Juanita was there. I smiled back at her and neither of us noticed Jackie leaving.

"You want to marry me?" Juanita asked hopefully.

I came around the bar to join her and said, "I didn't mean for it to happen this way, but yes I want to marry you." I got down on one knee and held out the ring. "Juanita Riley Johnson, will you marry me?"

She jumped into my arms even though I was kneeling and kissed me several times, saying yes each time she did. There was no doubt that she accepted my proposal. I heard applause, looked over the room, and saw all the customers standing and clapping like crazy.

James was smiling and laughing, applauding with them. Master Chief Jasper Quinn had come out of the kitchen and was clapping vigorously. It looked like he had tears in his eyes but it must have been a trick of the lighting.

My brother went to the front door and locked up; turning out all the lights except the ones behind the bar and the celebration began. Everyone joined in including the customers and a good time no, a great time, was had by all. We partied until daylight and not many people left until the Chief shooed them out the door around 5:30 AM.

Juanita had called Lupe told her the news and asked her to bring William with her to help us celebrate. William didn't know exactly what was going on but he had a great time sitting on top of the bar talking at James and riding around on the Chief's shoulders. I guess his excitement quota got overloaded and about 10 o'clock we bedded him down in my office.

After the party James, Juanita, and the Chief helped get William and I up to my apartment. Jasper carried the boy and James and Juanita helped me up the stairs. I was having trouble walking because I had exceeded my one drink limit; I think I put away about half a bottle of Jack Daniels. What the hell, it was a party.

******************

We held the wedding at our pub six weeks after I proposed; we thought there's no need to travel a long way to party at a reception. I guess you could call it a one stop wedding and celebration. James and Lupe played the parts of best man and maid of honor in our little show.

Our mother was the flower girl, Master Chief Jasper Quinn walked Juanita down the aisle and young William Andrew Johnson was the ring bearer.

Neither Juanita nor I were regular church goers so we had the minister of a neighborhood church preside at the ceremony. He and his wife were regular customers and could be found at the pub's fish fry every Friday night. Other than family most of the invited guests were our regular customers and a few friends.

James had a huge sign made and hung it on the front of the pub telling everyone that we would be closed until 6:30 on Saturday evening because of the wedding. The sign also said that the pub would reopen at 7 for the reception and everyone was invited. There was free Champaign and a buffet courtesy of Connor's Pub; however when the food and wine ran out you were on your own.

I know it was our wedding reception but I've never been to one where the wedding party had such a good time. It wasn't just a reception but a celebration of life for all concerned. Miracle of miracles I even saw the Chief dancing with my mother; I never realized until that night that Jasper is only 57. I'll have to keep an eye on those two.

Juanita and I had planned to take a week for a honeymoon, but the pub got so busy after the wedding that we didn't want to leave all the work to James and the Chief. Connor's Pub and Grill got a lot of publicity when a local TV station did a human interest story on the one stop wedding and reception. Our business picked up overnight.

Starting the day after the T.V. story we began to get calls from couples wanting to hold their wedding and reception at our pub. It was funny, we did something that felt right for us and it turned into a cash cow for the business.

*******************

Six months later the hoopla has died down somewhat. We had seven or eight weddings/receptions at the pub before the novelty wore off. One good thing, most of the increase in business continued. If you give a customer good food, good drinks, and good service there's no reason you can't succeed.

Juanita and I finally got to take a few days for a honeymoon. We just traveled around the state playing tourist. When we got back we exchanged homes with Mom and James; I didn't think it was right to raise William in an apartment over a pub even if it was our pub. My mom and James moved into the apartment; it was easier on James and mom said she want to help out in the pub. She said she was tired of sitting around and not doing much; I wonder if that's just an excuse to spend time with the Chief.

Juanita, William and I moved into the house and we invited Lupe to join us. Lupe began to spend a few weekends at the pub helping out on the floor. It gave Juanita a break and allowed us to have a more normal home life. I had liked and enjoyed William before the marriage but now I found myself loving him and wishing he was really mine.

One Sunday afternoon we took William on a picnic. He had tired himself out chasing butterflies and squirrels and we put him down for a nap. Juanita noticed that I was quiet and a little thoughtful.

"Is there something bothering you Jake? You're very quiet today," She said with concern.

Nodding I took a deep breath and asked, "What would you think about me adopting William? No, let me finish sweetie," I said before she could say anything. "You know I love the little guy and I want to be more than his step-father." I peeked at Juanita and could see the beginning in her eyes.

"I don't want to disrespect his father or his heritage so I don't want to drop Johnson from his name; I just want to add Connors at the end." Now I looked directly at Juanita. Now the tears were running down her cheeks but she was smiling. "What do you think of the idea?"

"Finest kind Sergeant Jake," she said as she pulled me across the blanket and kissed me.

The next evening at the pub during a lull Juanita joined me at the table we reserved for family and sat down. "You know we never really talked about things before we got married. I mean we went from dating to I love you to getting married pretty quickly."

"What should we have talked about?" I asked a little worried.

"Well several things but the most important one is how do you feel about us having children? Do you want more kids or is William enough for you, just how do you feel about it?"

I studied her face for a minute trying to get a fix on how she felt. The truth would be best here I thought. "We have a big house so I'd like to fill it up with kids."

"And when would you like to start filling it up?" Juanita asked with a big grin.

"Well we been practicing a lot but maybe we should get serious now. I'd like to start right away." I matched the grin on her face with one of my own.

"That's good because I'm two months pregnant," she said laughing at the shocked look on my face. "What do you think Mr. Connors?"

"Finest kind Mrs. Connors."

*****************

Another year has rushed past. Connor's Pub and Grill is still growing and going strong. We hired a young man just out of the Navy to help the Chief in the kitchen. Jasper says he'll make him a good cook or kill him trying. There are two new waitresses working on the weekends.

Juanita and I had another son, James Jasper Connors. The kid will just have to deal with his middle name; we can call him J.J. I adopted William and his name is now William Andrew Johnson Connors. Lupe is taking over for my wife at the pub for a couple of years because Juanita wants to stay at home with our boys for awhile; or maybe she wants to get a start on number three.

There may be another wedding soon, Lupe and James are getting pretty tight. That's a good thing. More surprising to me is that my mother and Master Chief Jasper Quinn are becoming an item. I don't think they'll get married but they are spending a lot of time together.

We've been approached about selling Connor's Pub, but I don't think it will happen. How can you sell something that has become a part of you? Besides I'm going to need a place to escape to so I can rest, Juanita is talking about having at least two more children.