Ingres' La Grande Odalisque

Poem Info
219 words
5
2.5k
1
0
Poem does not have any tags
Share this Poem

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
legerdemer
legerdemer
107 Followers

The look she cast over her naked shoulder,
the long expanse of smooth alabaster skin.
The knowing painter's eye examines ever deeper,
while I would hardly know where to begin.

The elongated supple spine and velvet skin
invite the gentle touch of ling'ring fingertips.
And yet her gaze denies the hithering
and holds voyeurs at bay with pouting lips.

What calculus did Ingres make
to paint the brimming passion chilled,
the smothered heat? The cool eyes slake
the yearning first aroused, then stilled.


Author's note: This was written in response to a challenge by greenmountaineer to write a poem inspired by erotic art. La Grande Odalisque, painted by Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres in 1814, immediately came to mind. On reading about the painting, I learned that Ingres was criticized as soon as it was exhibited for overly elongating the model's back (the model was Napoleon Bonaparte's sister Caroline, Queen of Naples). In 2004, a study measured live models and found that the length of her back is about five vertebrae longer than a normal human female's, and suggested that the painter intended this to indicate her aloofness (Maigne, Chettellier, and Norloff, 2004, Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine). This does not detract one iota from the sensuality and eroticism of the painting, though it was rather interesting.

legerdemer
legerdemer
107 Followers
Please rate this poem
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
Share this Poem

Similar poems

My Sweet Submissive Look A submissive kow tow
A Pantie-less Persona teasing my naughty daddy love
Dominatrix Ditties teasing assertive short verses Feb 24
Hi Honey We're Home Give me a fucking hug
Once Upon a Time found an 1894 pic of my great gran dancing round her washing
More Stories