All Comments on 'The Last of Her Kind Ch. 01'

by writerannabelle

Sort by:
  • 56 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Shorten your timetable?

Hey,

I’ve been reading HFHM since around chapter 10 or so was out. I fall in love with your characters and love all the interesting ideas you have for the monster girls. After recently reading a few other Arachne stories on here, I’m glad this one seems more original. Also, if I’m remembering correctly, are these two men from the ‘Order’ the same ones from the flashback with Emily and Bigfoot in HfHM?

Anyway, in looking at the timetable for these chapters to be released, I was wondering if you could shorten it a bit? I really want to read more now!

timothynoullettimothynoulletover 4 years ago
Good story

I can’t wait to read the next chapter in 1973 I was 5 years old and I remember seeing the soldiers coming home I also remember the gasoline shortages but we survived great story

ender2k2kender2k2kover 4 years ago
Great start

I look forward to the next chapter. Thanks

CoolSideofthePillowCoolSideofthePillowover 4 years ago
Loved it

Really loved this intro, and while I’m a fan of HFHM, I’m a way I liked this better due to its lower level of complexity.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Off to a very good start

You weren't alive in the seventies and I was born in '75, great now I feel old. lol

This is an excellent first chapter; well written with an interesting premise and a lot of potential. I'm looking forward to more. You have a LOT of talent and this gives me something good to read in between chapters of HFHM.

It was only a solo scene, but your knack for depicting non-human anatomy and sexuality never ceases to impress. Making things so distinctly non-human and yet so sexy and erotic at the same time isn't something I thought possible, but then I never tried monster erotica before I started reading your work. -- So mind opened.

Cyrus - mullet - really? lol

far_wanderer1984far_wanderer1984over 4 years ago
Surprising read

I read this as I've loved reading hfhm and thought I'd see if it was any good and found it to be a great read keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
like always

Fucking awesome! Rohan

EriktheAwfulEriktheAwfulover 4 years ago
Looks good so far.

Good hook Annabelle. Could this be the backstory of a new monster girl? Can’t wait for the rest.

ArcTalyxArcTalyxover 4 years ago
Nice beginning

I’m hooked! Great writing once again, and I’m really looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

jpz007ahrenjpz007ahrenover 4 years ago
Amazing Introduction

Got all our players sorted out and ready to play. The stakes are set, prejudices are intact, and the lines between "right" and "wrong" have been drawn.

Looking forward to what's going to play out.

arcaedianarcaedianover 4 years ago
Good stuff

You got it pretty well for not having lived in the 70s I haven't either but I heard enough stories from my father and other guys I served with... I can't wait to read more. That first chapter was just enough to make me want more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Michael56Smith

Re-reading this wonderful side piece/prequel to your sexy and compelling Radley's Home for Horny Monsters ( who are all so lovely, as is their writer:-p). Let me point out one typo that was missed, between the diner and the Library Darren has a memory of his hometown and his father not excepting Darren's brother's death, and in the same paragraph he is referred to as both Daryl and Dwayne. Unless I misread it and Daryl is another character, you might see if it can be corrected. I love this 7 part tale and the Title change from the Last Arachne was very likely a good idea. Hugs and kisses to you Annabelle, your talents continue to delight me. TTFN

luedonluedonover 4 years ago
Superb

I love the creativity you bring to your stories, and this one brings a freshness. I look forward to where you take this one in following chapters.

I do hope that this lady spider is not one of the genus that eats their mate after copulation.

Lue

gentleman_boehnergentleman_boehnerover 4 years ago
This new tale is highly relevant to my interests...

...since I'm working my way through Ken Burns' Vietnam War documentary and I have a thing for spider girls. Annabelle, are you keeping tabs on your readers?

One thing I appreciate about your style is your skill for world-building and character development as much as for eroticism and this new, homey setting is a nice change of pace from the more fantastic world of HFHM. I wasn't alive in the 70s either but I do know small towns and this one feels very authentic. Awaiting future installments with great interest! -gb

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

I confess that I had misgivings when you started this new story. Well I guess I needn't have worried. You're off to a great start. Now I'll have something to read in between HFHM chapters.

I'm still a very big fan of HFHM though.

Go Tink! Go Faeries!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Previous comments said it all...

Eagerly awaiting more chapters in this and HFHM. I’m not much of a commenter or rater, but I have been enjoying your work immensely. Please keep it coming.

realusmctazmanrealusmctazmanover 4 years ago
WOW

Your description of Darron is way too real. You have done some study to capture the pain that so many carry and cling to. While this realism opens many memories it will be Awesome to see Darron find his place in life and this world.

AncientCipherAncientCipherover 4 years ago
Holy H Smoke

I love arachne stories. This one is going to be legendary, I can tell already.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great start

You never disappoint.

WhatthehellmanWhatthehellmanover 4 years ago
Excited

Another amazing series I look forward to

TJSkywindTJSkywindover 4 years ago
A real pleasure to read

I continue to be impressed by the sometimes lyrical quality of your writing. One of these days, I can say, "Oh, her? Yeah, I remember when she first started. She quickly she mastered her writing skills and became a successful indie writer..."

I look forward to the next chapter in Rea's life.

Thanks for sharing. 5* Slainté

arrowglassarrowglassover 4 years ago
Fascinating!

An original story that really fits the old adage..."Oh what wicked web we weave!" I am looking forward to more!!!!!

dragonsiredragonsireover 4 years ago
Cudo's

The beginning of another good story. I rank you right up there with Laurel K. Hamilton and she is one of my favorite authors. Thank You.

ErosnaturaErosnaturaover 4 years ago
I'm hooked

You write such great characters. That "Neat!" exchange between Darren and the boy in the library tore me up. Such a quick encounter and yet it says so much.

I can't wait to read how Ana and Darren's interactions shape up.

GrantLeeStoneGrantLeeStoneover 4 years ago
Very good beginning.

This has a better premise than your Home for Horny Monsters. I like the Romance, the intrigue, the horror, the sexiness of you monster and vet ingenues, and the foreboding of the Templar Assholes. Is this in the same Universe as the Home for Horny Monsters? Will we see crossover cameos in either story?

c50chrisc50chrisover 4 years ago
This one is gonna be GREAT

I really enjoy your stories anyway (I favorited you some time ago) but I look forward to the next episode.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
You have a new spark!

Brilliant beginning. This one feels very personal in its own way. Can't wait for the next chapter.

EnglishvoyeurEnglishvoyeurover 4 years ago
Good stuff so far

Excellent writing as an opener. The first scene with the Sherriff is nicely emotional.

Lenny20Lenny20over 4 years ago

After the rather slow start I am intruiged how it will evolve. And especially if it is set in the HFHM universe.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
The brother

It kinda bugged me when out of nowhere Dwayne became Daryl. It's when his father was mentioned having a hard time about the death.

Also the Brothers from the Order, when they first show up at the diner one says "that sounds amazing" or similar but there was no speech before, only the mention of the smells.

Otherwise this is kinda interesting. Though how does a spider order termites?

Grimjack01Grimjack01over 4 years ago
Interesting fantasy story

Nice take on sole survivor of a species surrounded by enemies.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Military Corrections

1. Our fatigues were taken away from us when we were discharged and a class A uniform was issued to us to wear on the way home.

2. The army doesn't teach electrical and plumbing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Re: brother

Spiders eat termites. She lured a nest to the church, and I'm sure she was meant to threaten to eat them, like the cat-faced spider, unless they did as she commanded.

My suspension of disbelief is broken with the lack of a spiritual leader and place of worship for a small town. It seems like both would've been replaced.

ZachDocEightZachDocEightalmost 4 years ago
I loved this story!

I'm an empath and give in easily to the emotions in a story. You hooked me into your web! Found your first story off a link of "Similar Stories" off one of mine of feline ETs. Gonna spend the time to read the next 5. This was well written!

Cor007Cor007almost 4 years ago
I can't re-read this story without crying

I am a grown man but some stories get to me, this is one of those that I can't get through without my emotions doing sommersaults.

Ravey19Ravey19almost 4 years ago
Good Start

Not my usual type of story but has caught my attention so will follow it.

JasonRTaylorJasonRTaylorover 3 years ago
Fantastic

Good Lord, you about had me bawling by the time the Sheriff finished.

Hah! You have a little spider chapter break, how cool is that!?

Lots of little comments really stood out. I never saw combat (thank God) but I served with guys that had. You got way too accurate in your portrayal to be guessing. I pray that you or your source finds a place to settle.

Wow... this was good and then it just got Intense!

I had no idea what I was getting into, it's amazing what you'll find when you're bunny-hopping through your favorite author's favorite stories :D

DarkerBindingDarkerBindingover 3 years ago

Thank you. You do so much work to give us something really special to read. I absolutely love your characters. I've never read anything that you have written and not enjoyed it... bravo.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
A story about the ravages on the human soul by Vietnam...

You are just full of surprises Ms Annabelle. I have a special kinship with vet from the Vietnam war; I frequently tell people I wss raised by Vietnam vets. While not strictly accurate, since my mom was responsible for attempting to contain me until 16, a constantly growing group of vets took over until I left my home town at 20.

I was on my own by aa few months after my 16th birthday, and many of the vets coming home in the late '60's found very little work, and frequently, weren't welcomed by their own families.

It wasn't the anti-war sentiment as you portray it here, it was the anti-war, anti-establishment and anti-authority feelings the disillusioned and cynical young men came home with. They were the 'second round' of young men to go to Vietnam. The first round were gung ho patriots fighting communism, and came home to a country just figuring out we were in a war halfway across the world.

By the time the 'second round' got to 'Nam, a big portion were draftees who didn't give half a shit, their country had learned we were in a war, and got over the novelty real fast and politics and corporate greed had turned Vietnam in a mess.

There are a number of terms now commonly used which were either coined in and about Vietnam, or were popularized by the same. 'SNAFU' had been around since WWII, but took hold, stateside during 'Nam. "Situation Normal, All Fucked Up" was an apt description, daily, in SE Asia.

'Cluster Fuck' is a Vietnam original, though, and well as 'Hard Corps', though poopularized use misspells it as 'hard core'. The origination is a description of Marines who decided to start 'documenting' their kills. It is the baddest of the bad asses, and they made it obvious. There are others, but my old brain can't dredge them up; the surprise of the Vietnam vet theme through me back 50 years, and some of it surfaced for the first time in a while.

[Oh, a note on detail if you do a rewrite/edit. Early on, when Darren is thinking about his twin brother's death, you call the brother by the wrong name once.]

Thanks for sharing your wonderful imagination.

GeoD

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Another great into to a prequel story. I just finished reading HFHM pt. 62 so I'm certain that this story is tied to that part.

BeowulffBeowulffover 2 years ago

Your love stories are wonderful. Thank you!

t6greent6greenover 2 years ago

Okay, here we go again. You taking me on another wondrous adventure:)

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Eight legs. Nipples. Labia? I haven't had to work this hard to suspend my disbelief since a certain president had guaranteed transparency.

But as I said at the end of Horny Monsters chapter 38, girl, you rock!

puma0916@hotmail.com

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A quarter through the first page and I burst into tears. The sheriff's "Good morning, son," hit like a delayed charge, a few paragraphs later.

LevindlLevindlalmost 2 years ago

So I decided while waiting for you to have the next chapters of HFHM completed to read the two side stories.

First reading about Lily and Dana, and now reading about the sisters parents. As always, you do not disappoint!!

Even after reading only the first chapter, I am caught up in the story and can’t wait to read the next chapter. Something tells me that this is going to be a story that I am going to be losing sleep reading most of the night! Lol

Thank you for these side stories as they give such insight into the characters that we have grown to love and excited to learn more about with each new chapter that you write.

Sincerely,

Daniel

tenyaritenyarialmost 2 years ago

Reading this as a prequel to your other work. Struck by this line that makes me remember things:

"How long had it been since he had been made to feel welcome? Even his own hometown had gone anti-war, and the friends he had grown up with treated him with polite disdain at best."

- I grew up protesting, but I always knew it wasn't the soldiers I should blame. The boomers before me did enough of that to let me see how wrong it was. In the end I enlisted. Civilians would be surprised to learn how many soldiers are anti-war, but they really shouldn't be.

Very few soldiers want to kill. Most are there to defend, and have a healthy dislike of stupid politicians that refuse to stop picking fights. I never understood why the "Boomers" hated the people in their own generation that served - so many of those veterans didn't even enlist in that war, but were drafted. I could see some of my old friends hating me. I walked into that enlistment center out of my own choice. People kept saying us 'leftists' weren't patriots. People that had never served. I decided to 'put my money where my mouth was' and step up. Found out when I was in that even the 'right wing' people I served with were folks I could respect - we differed on the details but we all understood why we were there, why we made that choice. I kind wish they'd bring back a draft - for both sexes - so these younger folks could learn to talk across their differences. But the people that become politicians have often been able to wiggle out of serving, with some notable exceptions, and so rarely learn the value of working together despite your differences.

tenyaritenyarialmost 2 years ago

As I'm just starting this one up I need to drop another note about Grandmother Spider. Not sure if you will ever take that angle in your story, but in some North American Indigenous Nations Grandmother Spider wove the web of creation. Spiders are thus venerated. As a child I had repeating nightmares for a few years, until I created my own concept of the 'DreamScape and inside of that space, I found there was an elderly woman that was half spider. She destroyed the monsters haunting my dreams - and I've never had true nightmares since. Even in the years that I feared spiders, I always kept that memory close to me. Now I live in a house full of them and when I find one, I try to make sure to just take it outside and put it in the yard or a bush.

Your Arachne are monsters in your Home for Monsters story - but I keep waiting to see if there will ever be a point where some Native Americans show up with veneration for them, and a very different tale of the relationship the Arachne where come from interacted with humans.

Hearthfire223Hearthfire223over 1 year ago

What a sweet start to an amazing story!

I hadn't appreciated a lot of the nuances on my first read, and completely missed "The Ugly Duckling" as a cute reference to either/both protagonists.

Also,

I find myself wondering if the Oracle us,

in fact, Mothman...

UncertainTUncertainTover 1 year ago

This is the start of an amazing story, well worth the read and an instant favourite.

VeloGoneRogueVeloGoneRogue12 months ago

Seeing Cyrus as a constant in all 3 stories is quite amazing

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

I have read all thebfirst 6 books in HFHMI rate all of them 5bstars and I have commented. how good you are at character drafting and backstory. IMNSHO I think you have surpassed youself inbthis chapter, from the very begginng up to were Ana return to her room after work. You are an amazing writer, Thank you for let us know.

WaikyokuWaikyokuabout 2 months ago

Finally decided to read this. So far, so good.

DeeFisher123DeeFisher12328 days ago

Love the stories. Thank you. Can I also just say...? The spider emojis are too cute. Lol

NovaMNovaM12 days ago

Ah, yes. Second time reading this story. I first read it about the time you published it and I enjoyed it because of the increasing scope of ‘stranger things’ taking place. And because of the way you describe them, these happenings don’t come across as anything like quaint or impossible. 🤣🧐

The flow of your stories is much too great to stop reading. We need to know, almost compulsively, what is going to happen in the next few seconds.

That’s what I felt all those years ago reading The last of her Kind, and allow me to say: reading your other stories today, you have reached the black belt level in writing.

Please keep ‘them’ wonders coming our way. Thank you and have a nice day, Annabelle. 🌺

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userwriterannabelle@writerannabelle
Get a free ebook from me! www.annabellehawthorne.com/signup Talk to Lily-bot at https://bit.ly/4aj1nSf Buy my books at https://wetleafpress.com or https://annabellehawthorne.com/books Chapter 115 of HFHM is scheduled w/e April 26th Chapter 116 of HFHM scheduled w/e May 11...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES