All Comments on 'Greek Myths: Hephaestus & Aphrodite'

by Selena_Kitt

Sort by:
  • 16 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
Original

I love your take on the myths. They're always interesting, original, and damned hot! I never found them this interesting in English Lit, believe me. Do more!

SEVERUSMAXSEVERUSMAXabout 18 years ago
Nice twist....

Even if you DO present Aphrodite as an unfaithful wife. Well, she IS according to my own religion, and we worship her anyway. Nice to see Hephaestus have some fun of his own.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
Accurate Mythology

This depiction is true. You actually do know your mythology.

Aphrodite started out as a goddess of love, but as the decadence and cynicism of the Roman Empire increased, the personification stories of Aphrodite began depicting her as a callous, narcissistic slut who carried on with Ares, the callous, narcissistic brute... all under the wretched nose of her husband, Hephaestus.

Great story. Classic paradigm. It's a great object lesson for why non-athletic males should just leave beautiful females alone, and not get suckered into worshipping them.

Whether it's Hephaestus and Aphrodite, or Billy Joel and Christie Brinkley, it's always a delusion.

SteinerSteinerabout 18 years ago
For balance...

For balance you might have shown that Aphrodite was very happy in her chosen life and that whilst she took many other lovers she always came back to Ares.

Ares himself fathered many children with Aphrodite - she was the highest prize in Olympus and he always sought to conquer the highest peaks.

Nice story though and, up till the end, very true to the mythos.

hornyinwvhornyinwvover 17 years ago
True to the Myth

And yet, you have interspersed your own style twist. Wonderful!

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Food and Drink

Great read! One very minor point. Ambrosia and Nectar : the food and drink of the gods.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Amazing

I am a huge fan of hephaestus and feel he never gets enough credit...this story was amazing. He finally gets the credit and love he deserves!

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Loved it!

I really liked this story. I've never left a review for any story on this site before, but I really liked this piece. Not only was it sweet and erotic, but it appealed to the major geek in me because of how well it coordinated with the myths. I particularly like the scene at the party, Hephaestus watching his wife dance with his brother, watching Persephone call Hades by a familiar name, all the gods surrounding him and praising him. Hephaestus has always been a favorite of mine, and I'm glad you gave him an ending as happy as this one.

bignsassy818bignsassy818over 15 years ago
Speechless

Beautiful. Absolutely well written and it tugged on my heartstrings.

calum09calum09over 12 years ago
nectar of the gods

excellent grasp of the sensuous nature of mythology as it should be told.

Enticing_VixenEnticing_Vixenover 12 years ago
Absolutely Amazing

You beat me to the punch. I was going to write a story about Hephaestus, however, I doubt that I would even be able to come close to the superb writing that you have displayed with this piece. You are a very talented writer and your work is a joy to read. Please don't ever stop!

BBWmommaBBWmommaalmost 11 years ago
sweet and sexy

lovely writing, eroitc sex scenes. loved it!

DarlantanDarlantanalmost 10 years ago
REALLY, REALLY GOOD

That was fantastic... It's been a while since I've seen anything this good, that is such a fantastic interpretation of something so well known... You've done really well, and I can't say enough about it... I'm definitely going to be watching for more of the same.

avidfaavidfaalmost 8 years ago
Great story

Not that it makes any difference at all, but my take on Hephaestus is that his lameness came from his trade, a smithy disease. Bronze is made of copper and tin, but the earliest form of bronze is an alloy of copper and arsenic, and smelting it produced arsenic fumes in the smithy. Arsenic poisoning in low doses can cause peripheral neuritis with loss of function in the extremities. Arsenic bronze wasn't used much after 2,500 BCE, so I've always thought this dated the roots of the Hephaestus myth to before that.

So, just as the mad hatter refers to an occupational hazard of working with felt 500 years ago, the lame smithy, I suggest, also references an occupational hazard. No OSHA back then.

Fereniki_AlexandrouFereniki_Alexandroualmost 5 years ago
Excellent story!

This is an excellent story—it's beautifully written, it's well-organized, it makes excellent use of characterization, and, above all, it's very hot. This was actually one of the first stories I ever read on Literotica. The first time I read it was years ago, back before I created an account, but the story's just as good now as it was back then. I liked your touch of having Aglaia be actively involved in the story and the sex between Hephaistos and Aglaia at the end made me so wet.

I do have a few corrections, though. In actual Greek mythology, Hephaistos didn't make Zeus's thunderbolt, Poseidon's trident, or Hades's helmet; according to Hesiodos's *Theogonia*, those were all made by the Kyklopes long before Hephaistos was born. I can understand why you changed it, though, since having Hephaistos make all those things makes his craftsmanship seem more impressive.

Also, in the actual story of Aphrodite's affair with Ares from Book Eight of the *Odysseia*, Hephaistos is actually away at the forge when Aphrodite and Ares are captured. He had rigged the net to fall on them remotely somehow and returned to find them already captured. Here you changed it so that Hephaistos told Aphrodite he was going out hunting, but was actually in the room himself wearing Hades's helmet of invisibility, which is a bit of departure from the original myth.

I suppose having Hephaistos actually in the room makes it a bit more dramatic than having him far away, so I'm ok with that change. The lie about him going out hunting really doesn't work, though, because Hephaistos is supposed to be lame, in which case he won't be able to run or really do much of anything on a hunting trip. Aphrodite would have to be really dumb to believe that her lame husband is going out hunting.

StubbyoneStubbyone10 months ago

Very clever story using Greek gods. Your stories are well written and edited. The main character development was enough to give us feelings for them. Well done.

Another 5-😊😊😊😊😊

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous