All Comments on 'Editor's Notes: Changes'

by Bramblethorn

Sort by:
  • 13 Comments
OmenainenOmenainen10 months ago

Thank you so much for helping with the story! We added a scene based on your observations, and I feel it made the story better. Not to mention all the little tweaking. It’s invaluable to have an editor like you ❤️

GinnyPPCGinnyPPC10 months ago

Thank you so much for sharing this, Bramble. This is a great insight into the mind of an editor and the editing process. There is much to learn here for anyone who wants to improve their art, either as a writer or as an editor (or even a beta reader).

lilshymynxlilshymynx10 months ago

Thank you so much for sharing this!! There is a lot here to unpack and I feel there are many things that I can take onboard to not only expand my view of things to look for when I beta read or give feedback, but also how to deliver that feedback.

NoLongerAnonNoLongerAnon10 months ago

Thank you. That was a fascinating insight into the editorial process. I've toyed with the idea of offering my services as an editor, but I don't think my skills match up to yours. I think I'd be good at small stuff: SPAG, continuity and fact checking. I guess I don't know until I try reading with an editor's mindset.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Very interesting. Cant wait to read the final installment of the story now

ElectricBlueElectricBlue10 months ago

That's a really good insight into the editing processes used by others. I know that two of you are very, as I would describe it, "constructional" writers, in that you take great care with the level of detail you show here, while Omenainen is more like me - a more stream of consciousness flow.

I'd be interested to hear something from each of you, as to the three way dynamic between you, how that worked.

You wouldn't have had the problem I had several years ago now, with Jason Clearwater. Every time he sent copy back, he'd change all my women to slim hipped boys, and I'd have to change them all back before I could move on. Editors!! What can you do?

BramblethornBramblethorn10 months agoAuthor

FWIW, by the time it got to me, I had difficulty telling which bits were written by AMD and which by Omenainen - I hazarded a couple of guesses with only a 50% success rate.

notawriteryetnotawriteryet10 months ago

absolutely fascinating, thanks for such a BTS insight

Blamed_4_bridgeburningBlamed_4_bridgeburning9 months ago

Informative. Insightful. Probably should be suggested reading for anyone interested in offering their services as an editor.

BramblethornBramblethorn9 months agoAuthor

One thing I didn't cover in this: if the work is going to be published for money, it's a good idea to discuss that up-front. I'm not fussed if I edit a Literotica story for somebody who also puts it up on a self-publishing site to make a few more dollars (while still making it available here). But other editors may feel differently about it. This isn't something I've explicitly discussed when working with other authors/editors, and so far it hasn't been a problem, but in hindsight it would've been wiser to make sure we were all on the same page rather than assuming.

Victoria14xsVictoria14xs9 months ago

Wow. Had no idea. I’m gonna go back to the kid’s table and let y’all adults go about your business.

Very informative, illustrative stuff. Thanks for taking the time to put this out there.

tremoniatremonia4 months ago

I loved the story- A Trans-Story which isn't following the cliche, but is working it's own rhythm. I really enjoyed it.

Except for the German part.....that was a lousy translation. One sentence I haven't even found any sense in. In my opinion, you should use better translation software than Google.

Greetings from Germany!

BramblethornBramblethorn12 days agoAuthor

Another thing I didn't cover in this piece: crediting the editor. This is a bit of a grey area; in some areas of amateur writing it's considered common courtesy, in professional publishing the editor is often invisible. The editor gives advice but the author chooses whether to take it, and there have been times in my professional editing work where I've been very glad not to have my name on the product after the author made some...interesting...choices. I would encourage authors and editors to discuss expectations about this in advance rather than assuming you both have the same expectation.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userBramblethorn@Bramblethorn
Hi! Thanks for reading; I hope you find something in my work that interests you. Life has been very busy, and my writing has been one of the casualties. I have a couple of works in progress, no promises on when they'll be ready. If you want to know when I have a new story ou...