All Comments on 'My War'

by leapyearguy

Sort by:
  • 82 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Perfect

LYG - You've outdone yourself on this one. A truly fine story and very well written.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 17 years ago
wow Just wow... amazing .. fabluous

I am speechless.. perfectly done amazingly well written.

More of this character please. LOTS more... make it a sequel even as a civilian

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 17 years ago
one of your best stories yet, LYG

Somehow I don't think Kent and Sarge are quite finished...

Great story; very moving and a good read.

patricia51patricia51over 17 years ago
DAMN....

I just had to throw a partially completed story in the trash that covered pretty much the same ground. This was exciting, and even funny in places and so moving I could cry.

rgraham666rgraham666over 17 years ago
Your story…

will be mentioned in the New Stories thread on the Authour's Hangout.

DesertPirateDesertPirateover 17 years ago
Very well done!

LYG,

Thank you for showing that people in the service have normal feelings, doubts, and problems, just like everyone else. This is an excellent story and I thank you for writting it. There are a few authors on this site that show the military and Vets in a positive light and yopu are on that wonderful list! This old Cold War Sub Sailor thanks you!

K.K.K.K.over 17 years ago
Great Story

You managed to put a face on war. It is easy to forget those who come home damaged by war and how hard it is for them to move on with their lives. Good job,

KK

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
good

every one has already said it ... outstanding story

Mike from Texas

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 17 years ago
Your progress

as a writer is a real pleasure to watch. You've become very good. Who knows how much better you will become? I'm just glad I get to watch the evolution!

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
In Time This May Be Just Mediocre In Comparison

Blossoming & growing - I move to ditto HDK's comment - it is fun to watch but beware the big head - just keep it rolling.

Very impressive Author - Thanks

With Very High Regard

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
top mark

4

barock88barock88over 17 years ago
The fat lady hasn't sung yet!

I've read some of your earlier works and this one I just have to comment on. It's not over yet for Sarge or Kelly and I believe you know that. Battles are fought everyday of our lives wether you're a soldier or just an ordinary joe. It does not end until you have chosen to give up. You gave them a warriors soul and soon enough they will be gnawing at you to finish their story.

peggytwittypeggytwittyover 17 years ago
Very good entertainment

Very well done.

PT

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
BRAVO ZULU

Since you leave it vague enough about branch of service, I will use the Navy flag signal for "WELL DONE."

Tremendous grasp of the characters as well as the differences in perception from us "old timers" to the modern military.

You also manage to demonstrate a man's continuing journey to accepting himself against shifting backgrounds.

If you never write another word for publication, you will go down in the annals of Literotica.com as one of the better authors.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
I agree, you are showing steaty progress

as a writer.

This was the effort of a mature author.

This story has a sense of authenticity to it that I like a lot. You did a great job of getting into the head of a soldier.

You are ready to start writing your own "Thirteenth Valley" (John Del Vecchio). This is my favorite novel of 'Nam.

Kind regards, Jack

Kanga40Kanga40over 17 years ago
No more needed!!

the first 100 I've given in a very long while. Credit where it's due.

Don't cave in and write more.

I must be one of the more vocal critics on Lit about story endings - I hate bad ones with a vengeance, and non endings even more.

THIS STORY ENDED WHERE IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED.

It needs no more to be complete in this category.

Had it been labelled "Romance", then it would need to show the focal couple ending up together, but here it is a well crafted and well thought out ending.

LYG tell us the love she has in her eyes is for her date, not for Sarge.

Come on people, did you completely miss the point of this story?? It wasn't about the Vietnam war, or about the Iraq war. They were just the props, the setting.

The 'war' this story is about is Sarge's war with himself. And, be happy for him - he won in the end:

"I marched off to war, my war. Maybe I'm wrong, it wasn't war. It was simply life, my life, it had been life all along and I was too thick to grasp it. So I walked toward life, and what ever it would bring."

What the f%$k more could be added to that?

His 'war' is ended, so end of story! Finito! Kaput!

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Great

Life has a way of bringing out the best and the worst in a person.

Boyd

studebakerhawkstudebakerhawkabout 17 years ago
Well done, soldier.

Great job! The only problem with this little yarn is that it's so good I want more, but having more will probably take away from the original. What you have achieved here is noteworthy in more than one respect. It's a very good story for one thing. It entertains, it informs, it seems to have a reason for existing. Beyond that, it is an extremely well done example of the writer's craft. Read some stories in the 'Loving Wives' category and notice how many of the comments concern the end of the story. Good endings are very hard to do. Your ending absolutely works. This story is whole, intact, and compete in and of itself. Yet I cannot help myself, I still want more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
our war

I just finished reading Patricia 51's sequel to your story and I must apologize for not commenting on your story when it was posted. I loved it. You made this old nam vet realize that no matter how much things change the more they stay the same. The character development and emotion you brought forth are outstanding. Thanks for a great read.

Nightowl22Nightowl22about 17 years ago
Very emotional

It seemed sad that he walked away.. I guess there was no chance that they could get together but I think she looked at him kinda like a father but a little more.. So I felt..maybe.... I mean, they spent a lot of time together!! Could mean something?? Excellent writing.. And a little humor still leaked through a very serious story.. A neighbor returned from a tour and he said he stuck a thermometer in the sand--120deg.. THAT will keep you warm.. Must be like working on a carboy of red hot annealed steel with the open furnace at your back.. But all day and night---wow!

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
The Nam

Your discription of The Nam was excellent. All these years

later and I can still remember the fear and the hate. Moving

slowly and quietly through the jungle,trying to keep myself

and my men alive. Your story was excellent and I would rate

you within the top 1% of authors at Literotica.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Great read

I laughed, I cryed, it's a part of me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
semper fi

always faithful-dont know what branch-doesnt matter-great story

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Your stories show great growth and improvement

An excellent story about difficult subject matter. Now the challange is to maintain this higher quality. Very good writing, thanks for the effort. anon jerry

Privates1stClassPrivates1stClassover 14 years ago
Old soldiers never die...

...they just fade away, so goes the old saying. Sarge did the same when he realized his war was over. It appears Sarge helped PFC Kent finish hers as well. As a previous commenter said, maybe he's a father figure for her. Anyway, it was a great story on several levels. Thanks for sharing.

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 13 years ago
A timeless story with a gig to old veterans....

I spend time at the VA hospital talking to the newbies about what it will take for them to get their lives back on course. Most really don't want to hear it, but I tell them anyway... To all VETS, get off your asses and visit your nearess VA hospital and share yourselves with the young men and women who are facing what we have faced. Just seeing you will make a big difference. Believe Me.

IrfonIrfonabout 12 years ago

Truth hurts.

Took me back to my Paratrooper days - I even tasted the damn sand again...

What a good, but painful story, I won't sleep too good tonight.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Want more?

LYG has graciously allowed Patricia51 to use his characters in her story, "Kent's War." If you like this story, you might want to read hers. If you don't like this story, you might be a DWornock.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Tears

I hate you and love you for touching a place in me I've tried to keep locked away for many years.

BfreetorunBfreetorunover 10 years ago
A Hellaciously great story.

Thank you so much for writing.

thraxmorethraxmoreover 10 years ago
not enough

As a veteran , I wanna see more of you literary talent. Good job, so far.

shadowjack17shadowjack17over 10 years ago
You've been holding out on us

Helps to let it out even in a kind of fictional (sort of--my bet is only the names changed) way, doesn't it? We all fight the dragon in our own way. Sadly, some of us get lost in the storm doing it. The VA hospitals are full of them. Keep it up, brother. I was lucky--older brother in the Army also, both in similar areas at the same time; having someone to talk to about ANYTHING BUT that helps. And once or twice a year we talk about THAT also.

There are others lost in their fight who can't elucidate, though. I think maybe you ought to consider doing another one now and again. Just saying.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
DAMN YOU but THANK YOU

`With this story you have brought back all of the pain, fear, terror and heart break of nam 65, 66. The faces of the men that I could not keep from death have been in my nightmares all these years, Reading this story has helped to understand that I must first forgive myself, before I can finally bring an end to my war.

May god bless you

an old combat medic

GenicoGenicoabout 10 years ago
You are a bastard

I thought I'd gotten over it, but with one stupid story it all came back. Exercising demons hurts like hell. 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
good read

bittersweet ending,but it fit.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Strange you are....

Good story, real life shit...

bill...

5Sss

Cutthroat90Cutthroat90over 8 years ago

I want to read more about this man who seems to be finding his way back to living, rather than merely existing!

5 stars!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
The Best

It doesn't get any better than this.

mmk778mmk778over 8 years ago
so great

i don't have any thing in mind but just that

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyover 8 years ago
Wow

Wow, just incredibly well written story. The true cost of war. Always a cost when at war either mental or physical. Very powerful.

I appreciate your writing. Thank you for sharing!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

So, what happened to Sarge?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Okay, but...

I didn't like the ending. I'm not really sure how I would have changed it to make it more to my liking, I just know that I didn't like this ending. Maybe that's why I'm not a writer. Nice story otherwise, I did like 90% of it.

Taffbanjo2013Taffbanjo2013almost 7 years ago
Magnificent!

Nobody who hasn't served will appreciate this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Good writing

But......I don't need to end up depressed. Going to a different author

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Depressed?

Seriously? How about inspired? Encouraged? Good story! Don't need to be a vet to understand trauma.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
2nd read.

Forgot how depressed I was after the first read. Have to go back to checking the comments first.

LoejtcLoejtcover 6 years ago
Depressed???? How about Inspired, Thankful, Proud!!!!!!

This is a rant. WFT is the matter with you "depressed" people? Two Americans, who put their lives on the line for the likes of you, are able to face life again after horrible physical and mental damage and you are depressed?

What do you think our men and women in uniform face when put in harms way?

Thousand of these heroes never find their way back to normalcy after servicing their country and YOU.

I find your comments absolutely repulsive. It must be devastating to veterans to read that you find their sacrifices "depressing". SHAME ON YOU!

MackBobMackBobalmost 6 years ago
Great story

Well written,,,! Inspiring tale!

SonofCalliciousSonofCalliciousover 5 years ago
Well done, sir!

As the father of two Marines, and a friend of two who didn't come back from the sandbox, I thank you, sir for your writing. You nailed it. Ignore those who think only of themselves and being depressed by reading your writing. You can't reach all of them, and there are more candy-assed millennials floating around than I ever thought I'd see in this country. Vietnam era, myself. We had THAT war won until the media and politicians gave it back.

AileyInnAileyInnover 5 years ago
Home run!

Great story!

woodmanonewoodmanoneabout 5 years ago
Excellant just damn escellant.

told a story that not many could know or understand. Well done. I know I'm selfish but I would love to see this continued. What about Veronica?

Thanks for your hard work.

Woodmanone

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Great Story

More, please.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Very nice

Great thoughts and lovely writing

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
best of the best

There was a few things i was going to point out, like the first thing i learned in the military was to never volunteer. But damn, you destroyed all my little thoughts, and brought clarity to the story. In war, we all do things for the guy, or girl next to us, the ones who have our backs. I guess that we all heal the same way, with the ones we know have our backs, its an intimate relationship that transends sex. Its why civilians and military have a hard time mixing. Loved it

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Uh Huh!

Now you've finished the story, perhaps you've now got the time and possibly the spiel and schtick to sell me either Brooklyn or London Bridge or maybe both!

Liked the development and ethics - with your stiff upper lip, you should enjoy five pointy things stuck where they shouldn't be!

Well done - and written!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Feelpedoes hit! Critical hit.

Son of b, b, b, b, bi, b, bi, gun! All the years I've read stories on here, and one that tugged on me enough to award my first ever 5 stars.

That's right, the highest I've done is 4 stars, and this impressed me enough to 5 star a story.

Outstanding!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Great

What an excellent story! - And as usual with this author, very well written. The introspection was just great. Could have gone on for a bit with good reason but stopped at just the right time. 5*s.

enderlocke77enderlocke77almost 3 years ago

this reminded me of the Metallica song "One"

Bigguy731Bigguy731almost 3 years ago

Kinda sad but well written

etchiboyetchiboyover 2 years ago
The one thing I wonder — did he, or didn’t he go see Veronica?

Not did they get together and live happily ever after, but did he at least go and finally close that chapter in his life?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I can relate to this all too well from personal experience.

He did a fine job with a story thank you so much forgiving it to us.

awr75bsawr75bsover 2 years ago

Never got sand in my boots; but picked off many leeches from my fatigues and body while in the jungle. "Welcome Home Brother"! Thanks for the story.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanabout 2 years ago

Aw, no happy ending for the two of them together?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Bloody brilliant

J6480J6480almost 2 years ago

Brothers and sisters

Ocker53Ocker53almost 2 years ago

Great story⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

numbnutz49numbnutz49over 1 year ago

Beautiful story! Highest praise for this emotionally charged story!

RanDog025RanDog025over 1 year ago

WOW! What a story! Loved it. Brought back some memories. I didn't see much action at all, was into intel collection and killed from a long distance. Very touching story! 5 VERY BIG, HUGE NOVA STARS!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

If only...

leapyearguy was still writing...

Brings back memories for many of us. A strong memory for my is my duty as an Army nurse to off-load the returning POWs. The TV cameras captured the dudes healthy enough to step down the stairs in brand new uniforms, despite serious health issues. I was in the scissor lift ambulance around to the back of the plane where the whole side would swing up as a giant clam door so we could carry the litters off and into the ambulance. What suffering we observed - and that was after months of captivity. What a scary honor to provide nursing care to those heroes.

Willowghby

Omart57Omart57over 1 year ago

WoW! Such a powerful story!

chytownchytownover 1 year ago

*****Powerful read from a great storytelling. Thanks for sharing.😪

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Excellent writing!

J6480J6480over 1 year ago

Brothers and sisters

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Damn touching! One has to be there and experience it to “really” understand. Thanks for sharing. 5*s.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Goodness! Packed a wallup. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Kent is an ungrateful bitch....good he walked away...he paid her back for saving his life

OldmantruckerOldmantrucker6 months ago

✌️👁️👁️. .... 🤷🤷👍👍💯💯👌

acupacup5 months ago

UNFINISHED !!!!

Pick a charter, but finish it.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Wonderful story. They were there for each other when in need. True camaraderie of soldiers.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Damm your a writer of Witt and depth. Thanks for sharing.

PurplefizzPurplefizzabout 2 months ago

Too many out there that have “seen the bear” and can’t resolve it with life outside. Good story and an all too familiar theme sadly.

Ocker53Ocker5315 days ago

I really loved this story, third time reading and still just as enjoyable ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous