All Comments on 'The Soldier's Coat'

by Mainboy

Sort by:
  • 16 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 1 year ago

War is so terrible. Maybe something good will come out of it for her!

5

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

WOW! Wow again. Superb. The first paragraph was a bit hectic and I nearly put it down but something made me read on. I would have loved to see this same story told with no holds barred. I could sense 'Mainboy' cooling it down to make it less upsetting and I agree. There is no romance in war. It is awful and yet Mainboy weaved a careful thread of caring and love into a short story that I read five times in a row. Every time it spoke to me on a different level.

Man! This is something else! An absolute MUST read.

Mainboy, I suspect you were in a war somewhere. So was I. I salute you. Respect!

dwoelfledwoelfleover 1 year ago

Poignant and lovely if only there was more of this in the real world. Thank you.

chytownchytownover 1 year ago

*****That was a unique piece of storytelling. Very entertaining war time story. Thanks for sharing.

clearcreekclearcreekover 1 year ago

I wish there were no wars to tell stories about. 5

I started to say more, however the thoughts brought remembrances unwanted.

BlastusBlastusover 1 year ago

A touching tale. An excellent tale with similar themes is The Mountain by Dream cloud.

https://www.literotica.com/s/the-mountain-2

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Thank you for the words, the phrases, the detail. But above all thank you for the raise of the emotion in me, and the vision of a possible better humanity.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

If the language difference was not such a difficult thing to deal with, I would have loved to turn this into a short but very powerful stage performance.

I can see this happening.

Well done Sir!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Bringing romance into war. It happens, but rarely. Brilliant story.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Wow, this is the second story I read from you and it’s also a good one.

Think I‘m gonna read more.

Five for this. Cheers.

Captcha

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Outstanding!! Powerful storytelling that grabbed me by my throat. It is obvious that Mainboy served somewhere. He played down the unnecessary gruesomeness of a wartime romance. Brilliantly done.

lAnatomistelAnatomiste7 months ago

Reminds me of Todd172's excellent _Mausfalle._

This is emotions distilled into essence.

Magic_CapMagic_Cap7 months ago

A very, very strong, expressive story in its own way.

At first it didn't seem fully developed to me, but in the end I had my doubts as to whether that would really have been better.

The longer I think about it, the less convinced I am.

A story that works not through its words, but rather through what was *not* said/formulated - extraordinary !

5/5 stars !

MidwestSouthernerMidwestSoutherner6 months ago

When those who are supposed to hate you protect you, and those who are of your own you fear more than a putative enemy...You have created a character in the woman who is remarkable.

Great work. Great story. Dare I say almost Hemingway-esk, or Ambrose Bierce's style. Any more than it is would be too much.

AlberothAlberoth18 days ago

Emotive and strong. Not all friends are friends, and not all enemies are enemies.

TarnishedPennyTarnishedPenny12 days ago

Painful, terrible, repulsive, and horrifying, yet revealing, redemptive, hopeful, warm and even tender - in short, magnificent. This is art.

I wish through my tears that I could give more than five insignificant stars.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMainboy@Mainboy
I like a good story that is believable and well written. I read a lot and find it very irritating to have to dump a good read because of bad writing. The 'Mainboy' thing has nothing to do with my opinion of myself but rather started as a reference to an erstwhile colleague of...

SIMILAR Stories