All Comments on 'Tomorrow is Another Day Ch. 02'

by Dinsmore

Sort by:
  • 22 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Great

Your introductory note (written in italics) was as interesting as the story itself. It helps me understand the minds of our soldiers caught up in the current conflict.

Boyd

The NavigatorThe Navigatorabout 17 years ago
Almost too realistic!

Wow! First, let me wipe the sweat off my brow. As an instrument rated pilot, you had me on the edge of my seat looking for the runway environment during the zero-zero let down. I once practiced it, so I know the feeling. You captured the emotions well, and kept the technical side to a minimum but enough to be realistic. One of the best flying stories I've read.

"My first combat zone mentor, commander and father figure died at the ripe old age of twenty-nine." That brought me up short and I had to look back in my records. I was a battalion commander in an combat infantry division in Korea---at the "ripe old age" of 27---during that Police Action. At the time, I thought it was funny some of the troops called me "the old man" within my hearing and I was asked a couple of times to give marital advice to guys many years my senior. Back then I never gave it a thought I was responsible for the lives of over 425 souls when I gave operational orders. Years later, I broke out in a cold sweat thinking about it. Ah, the care free attitude of the young...is lost on those who don't appreciate it.

I, too, had a mentor in combat I'll never forget. He was my company commander and I was his XO. It is scarey what he taught me, so well. He was a West Point graduate and I finally ran down his address last month. He is still alive and called me on the phone (because he has had 3 heart attacks and a stroke and cannot write). He is 83 now, just 3 years older than I, and made Brigadier General before he retired. I'm glad I was able to thank him, 54 years later, for what he taught me and that I had passed those lessons on to many others over the years.

Thanks for taking me back in time...your writing skill is awsome.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Ya know!

Dinsmore,

Not sure if this is doing you a lot of good, but it is me.

I grew up in the military listening to my father and friends, talk about flying, from Pearl Harbor, through Korea. I was in the AF during Viet Nam as was my father. It sure brings back memories of a lot of friends now long gone.

You are really good. Thanks

DesertPirateDesertPirateabout 17 years ago
I need a new chair!

Dins, The pucker factor was so high there is a hole in the seat of my chair! Yes you got my attention! The quality of writing on the chapters of this one rates right up there with Tom Clancy and WEB Griffin, I doesn't get much better. Thanks for sharing you story and Thanks again for your service.

SwedeqSwedeqabout 17 years ago
Amen!

Dins, what those previous to me said. On the other side of the coin my Father did a tour in 'Nam" in 1966. I have never gotten him to tell me anything about that time so your story struck a chord with me. Thanks!

DinsmoreDinsmoreabout 17 years agoAuthor
Thank you for wanting to read them

The only person who has ever heard some of these anecdotes is my son and then not until after he did a combat tour in Iraq. It’s no surprise that he has only given me little glimpses of his experiences which I do know include having his HUMVEE blown up at least seven times in Ramadi. Just like me and Vietnam thirty-five plus years ago, he has put Iraq behind him---at least from the standpoint of public appearances. Maybe someday he’ll want to talk about specifics…maybe not.

I’ve let my wife of twenty some years read a couple of them and perhaps they give her some insights. I’ve have a couple of friends of my generation---both Army Infantry Rangers--- who had it a lot tougher than I did in the RVN and sadly, both of them still have wounds and find it difficult to talk about. The three of us were planning to go back and visit Vietnam a few years ago but the other two backed out (one had a wife who didn’t want him to go), my son joined the Marines and couldn’t go and I didn’t feel like going alone.

Yeah, for some strange reason writing these stories has provided some catharsis and I thank those of you who want to hear them. I’d like to do one which deals with the whole experience of getting orders---orders you knew were coming but somehow you hoped wouldn’t---the thirty day leave prior to leaving, flying to Seattle or Oakland, the long flight in the big DC8, the minute the South East Asian heat slammed you in the face, in-processing through Cam Ranh Bay or Tan son Nhut, the C-130 ride to the assigned unit, being picked up by some Spec Four in a Jeep in the middle of the night, trying to sleep with artillery going out all night, hearing someone yell incoming and then the thump of the mortars and not having a clue what to do, being new and knowing nothing and realizing you had a year to go…the fear of the unknown.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Thanks for Sharing.

My Corps experiences were from a woman's experience & more diversified and jaded in varying degrees.

I do wish to relay to you that I am very humbled by your sacrifices and your Brothers & Sisters of the timeframe; as they are my kin too. My Brothers & Sisters now continue to Protect and Serve our Country....

while I sit here wishing there were more I could do in my sleepless nights.

Hightest Regards.

Eternally a Corporal in the USMC

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
If You'd Like To - We'd Like to Read Em!

Onward McDinsmore - this was another great read by someone who knows how - so we look forward to the beginning and an end to sandwich the thus far.<P>

With great appreciation<P>

& With Very High Regard

peggytwittypeggytwittyabout 17 years ago
Every one who breathes can appreciate this

I want to say I don’t know if reading about Nam is good for me as it does change my mood. I do think you do a service to those who have never experienced combat, in that it was always the unknown that left you with a belly that was convulsing.<p>I thank you for all you have portrayed as it reminds me with a sadness of my youth and I also was considered an old man by my unit and I was 21. If that isn’t a joke what is.<p>Thank you for all the fantastic writing and your way of telling your stories.<p>PT

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Been there done some of that

I spent a year in a navy UH-1B squadron in the Delta.

We were in the soup when they burned the rice paddies.Most of our takeoffs were with 30 minutes fuel and 1/2 load rockets and a running takeoff on marston matting. Please continue this story line. It's Great.

The NavigatorThe Navigatoralmost 15 years ago
Whew!

I'm an instrument rated pilot and WWII and Korea veteran. I sweated that let down and landing right along with the author.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
Nice, painful but nice.

After reading several of your postings I commented negatively on the length of your story setups. I stand by that except it doesn't apply to any Viet Nam postings.

<P>

<I>-- srgeek --</I>

<P>

V4 Div - USS Intrepid CVS 11 Dec. 1965 to Sep. 1967

<BR>Tonkin Gulf Dixie Station - Seven months in 1966

<BR>Tonkin Gulf Yankee Station - Six months in 1967

<P>

One month travel time each way.

DinsmoreDinsmoreabout 13 years agoAuthor
A note from the author

I was shocked to discover a few weeks ago that the pilot---Frank---died shortly after his 30th birthday. I have no details. I do not believe he stayed in the Army.

allenethanmallenethanmabout 13 years ago
Congrats from a Chu Lai Vet

Great adventure. I knew there was a reason I worried whenever I had to fly. There is something comforting about having your feet on the ground. My hat is off to you guys who flew the dusties.

Left Chu Lai on Halloween 1971, just after Typhoon Hester blew down most of the buildings including our mess hall and knocked out our power. I've madde the trip to Quang Ngai and back on Highway 1 and flew to Duc Pho once, so I felt like I knew where you were throughout. Great story.

CalliciousCalliciousalmost 11 years ago
Great story!

You had my full attention the whole way. I would love to have a day to sit and talk with you about your time in the RVN, to get the straight scoop from one who was there and lived it. Thank you again.

TavadelphinTavadelphinabout 9 years ago
The shit you can pulkl out of your ass in tmes of stress -

It makes boys of men and screaming little girls of boys LOL

bruce22bruce22over 8 years ago
Tension filled story

Really fine writing. I felt that I was right there in the middle of it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Respect

Two things:

1. This is, hands down, the best read on the site (in my correct opinion).

2. Thank you, Sir, for leading the way. Hooah!!

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
evocative, powerful, tension

WOW

There is nothing like flying blind

I hope a thank you was delivered to the kid on the other end of the radio.

flarebel2327flarebel2327over 5 years ago
Nam

have a 2nd cousin that was a door gunner on a Huey over there he told me about some of the S__T they went through . A$$ holes in D C played arm chair quarter back & didn't know the A$$ from a hole in the ground. at least in 90 , 91 Gulf the pres let the military men run it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Friends have affirmed that your story is on target

Thanks again for some excellent history and tale-telling about RVN.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman8 months ago

Thanks, entertaining and scary just reading it. As a Thailand 72-73 vet? the whole thing was a fiasco.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous