All Comments on 'A Broken Man'

by magnetarhanggliding

Sort by:
  • 25 Comments
Geezer83Geezer8328 days ago

1. Well written

2. Makes me question myself.

3. Hope it is doing something for you.

SW_MO_HermitSW_MO_Hermit28 days ago

Damn! OUTSTANDING story. Tugs at the heartstrings and made this old man cry. I wish we all could have a love that strong.

FlamethrowFlamethrow27 days ago

Very dark indeed but you brought him out back into the light. A lovely soft touch

Rwg7Rwg727 days ago

A story that pulls at the heart strings. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymous27 days ago

Quite possibly, one of the finest short stories which I’ve ever enjoyed!! Thank you!!

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy27 days ago

It was good that he was able to find his way back, even if only partially!

5

AnonymousAnonymous27 days ago

If I believed in the supernatural as presented I would be saying things like the wonderful author SW_MO_Hermit.

I would be rating the story with a well deserved 5.

I don't believe in that supernatural. I cannot fairly rate the story so I did not.

However, I suggest thoughtful readers take time to read it. It is poignant!

I liked how the author explained that once we start to write a story, it sort of writes itself. It is a amazing writing experience, even exhilarating at times. I don't post on this site, but I write a lot. It is therapeutic.

I disagree with one implied position of the author: When they would fight, which is inevitable in a relationship

My wife and I had 53 years together. We never fought, or even argued. We felt that those who think it is inevitable will fall into the trap and fight. Our love was such that there was total love and acceptance, that never created a need to disagree or a need to change the other. Perhaps we were just different, or maybe it was that we believed the Creator made us for each other, and so we expected a perfect compatibility and just lived that way.

The Hoary Cleric

Corny1974Corny197427 days ago

Simply amazing. Wow. Thank you, very moving.

IrishMaiden609IrishMaiden60927 days ago

Had tears in my eyes at the end. Great, great storytelling.

AnonymousAnonymous27 days ago

Had trouble reading through the tears. Obviously the twist was unexpected, but perfect.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

5*

Tc

AnonymousAnonymous27 days ago

I'm living something similar. 😌 been 10 years now and all I have are 2 dogs

AnonymousAnonymous27 days ago

This is outstanding thank you

WetheNorthWetheNorth27 days ago

I was reading and following intently until the supernatural crap and then I quit.

AnonymousAnonymous27 days ago

When you said dark, I was expecting to end the story feeling depressed, but actually I feel the total opposite. I feel... hopeful. This story isnt dark, its wonderful. Yes it starts of dark, but its beautiful and as someone who has been on the grief journey like James, I cant help feeling grateful that you took the time to write this. Its a long and painful road, and this helped remind me to keep walking it. THANK YOU <3 5*

AnonymousAnonymous27 days ago

romanticizing death? Seems like advanced navel gazing, self indulgent and pointless. I thought that was going to be the theme of the story, but now, I am not so sure.

magnetarhangglidingmagnetarhanggliding27 days agoAuthor

I wanted to thank everyone that has left a comment. To those who commented about having tears in their eyes while reading it; I had tears in my eyes while writing it. So I am glad the emotion made it through. To the commenter who has had the fortune of going so many years without a fight, I commend you. Perhaps fight was too strong a word, disagree may have been better, but it was used to drive home the point I have observed in too many couples over the years.

ShelbyNooneShelbyNoone25 days ago

I don’t believe in Angels, god has no use for me. Today I stand in an empty house knowing that cancer will take my love all too soon. I’ve thought work will get me through, most friends have already abandoned us while the multi-year struggle has gone on, reading your story helps me realize it won’t. Is there a light, a kind word, that isn’t advice or a “solution,” for the bereaved? Does grief start at the passing, or when the inevitable becomes apparent? Tears are frequently my companion, they wash my face as I read of James.

Without her I Shall be no one.

Grant_GlapsvidhrsonGrant_Glapsvidhrson25 days ago

Beautiful story. And as someone who has had far too much death in my life, thanks for this wonderful exploration of grief.

Tix1234Tix123425 days ago

I was just screaming in my head, "ignore her, do not submit...".

The vicious cycle of depression is beautifully explained. 5*.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc25 days ago

Powerful story about balancing love and loss. 4.7*

AardieAardie16 days ago

The Sixth Sense.

Ravey19Ravey1914 days ago

A bitter sweet story, beautifully told again.

waifwaif13 days ago

Well done. I was blindsided.

Monagamous_NowMonagamous_Now6 days ago

You can definitely tell a tale!

This is amazing story telling!

UpperNorthLeftUpperNorthLeftabout 20 hours ago

A lovely story. The emotions, the sense of loss and the depression are so well conveyed here. Well done! 5

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usermagnetarhanggliding@magnetarhanggliding
Hi Folks, I’d like to thank everyone that has taken the time to read my stories. As I mentioned in my first one, The Lonely Girl, I haven’t written anything outside of work emails, etc. for many, many, years. The support I have been given by many of you to this brand-new story...