All Comments on 'Spam on Rice'

by ronde

Sort by:
  • 39 Comments
ca_daveca_dave15 days ago

So well told. Most people do not consider the children our service men father, then leave behind when they rotate home. Thank you for sharing.

A_BierceA_Bierce15 days ago

I suppose no story is perfect, but this is pretty close.

Ravey19Ravey1915 days ago

Beautiful. You've given me some speciation of what life was like in Korea after that war.

SequoiaSempervirensSequoiaSempervirens15 days ago

Sweet story. Very well done! Five stars.

Elaine_MatureElaine_Mature15 days ago

There's nothing in that story that should make me feel like this. I don't know how you do it! Something that's between the lines.

6King6King15 days ago

⭐⭐⭐⭐

Cracker270Cracker27014 days ago

Your usual well put together story. I enjoyed very much.

pepepilotpepepilot14 days ago

Having served overseas in the 60's, I know the premise of this story is honest and very well written. Thank you for a wonderful story ronde.

LupinesqueLupinesque14 days ago

Very touching and well written.

technofrog2002technofrog200214 days ago

I think it was a very sweet and touching story. Also very well written with good character development for such a short story. 5🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

MountainMan1336MountainMan133614 days ago

I liked this story and gave it 5 stars. This story reminded me of times so long ago when I was a young Marine. Back in the early 70's we were told the same story about a "Black Syphilis" that would rot our cocks off and we would spend the rest of our miserable lives on that nameless island while our families thought we were dead. I think this story was very well written and it did describe the life of young men far from home while serving our country.

FlamethrowFlamethrow14 days ago

I loved the quiet, unhurried pace of the way their love grew.

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

Soooo fucking good!!! What a great love story. I am always looking for an alternative to the cuck bullshit that inhabits this site.

woodwardwoodward14 days ago

Very well told tale. 5!

JuanTwoNoJuanTwoNo14 days ago

Excellent! A great change from the common fare here. I was in Korea twice. I liked it and liked and admired the Korean people. I always thought that if they had the chance they would make something of their country, and they certainly have! I did experience the Korean racial prejudice a time or two, Many here seem to think that racism is an American thing and we are the worst. Not hardly! Your description tells it well. And in spite of that, I still liked and admired the Korean people; enough that I was one of a few GIs invited to attend the annual KATUSA picnic in Seoul the KATUSAs of my unit had. Their First Sergeant once told me "You understand Koreans, Sergeant ____." That to me was a greater honor than both the Armed Forces Expeditionary and The Good Conduct Medals I was awarded there.

UpperNorthLeftUpperNorthLeft14 days ago

A very sweet story. I loved the sense of place and culture you conveyed in your tale. 5

Comentarista82Comentarista8214 days ago

This story forced me to look up several Army acronyms, but it was certainly worth it. Your story certainly possessed very authentic flavors of both the culture and the foods of the time. Although I'm not fully acquainted with the depth of the discrimination in Korea against mixed bloods, I had seen and read enough to know that yes it did happen. It feels a bit odd, because it wasn't just in America where some Americans would make fun of children that were mixed blood because it happened elsewhere too.

***

You detail well how commonplace prostitution tended to be in Korea, and even in some of the very best South Korean movies, they'll have parts about where a certain character grew up in an orphanage. It always makes for a great movie too; that's partly why this story likely resonates with certain readers. But I also love how you ensure the individualistic and human elements rise to the surface in this tale, because it's always wonderful regardless of the place or the time to see a man and woman fall in love for the right reasons--and especially where both of them treat each other respectfully and try to get to know one another without pretense. This is especially unique, as one poster remarked that unfortunately there were many illegitimate children left behind after the Korean War and the Vietnam War in both countries, and it's hard to imagine what they endured without ever having had a say in being born. So I truly appreciate the story on that level, as it shows that regardless of race or place, people are still people, and they deserve to be treated with a certain level of dignity and respect. Quite possibly that last part outweighs even the slow-burn love story that we read about.

***

This story easily merits a 5 and I thank you for such a unique contribution.

HansTrimbleHansTrimble14 days ago

How refreshing to read a story with the principal characters having no disapproval, no anger, no suspicion, no hurt feelings. I just loved it! Thank you.

Hans

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy14 days ago

Most delightful story!

5

J6480J648014 days ago

Good tale. Served OS during my 16 years & relate to the locals attitude even though we were there to defend, protect and support. Funny old world

JimDiamondJimDiamond13 days ago

Thank you for a very nice story. Even if limited sex...:-) In many ways it caused me to think of Vietnam. We American veterans made a big deal about the MIA brothers America left behind. About America should never rest until we had returned all the Americans left behind. What almost all fail to recognize is the many, many thousands of American children left behind in Vietnam. Those mixed race children were also "American"! Those children were probably even more discriminated against and hated than were the Korean mixed children because we did not win that war. I look back and am sometimes ashamed of America because we ignored those children who were indeed also "Our American Children". By the way your thing about the food is absolutely true. Of course I never suffered it and could even eat off of street vendors without getting sick, but only because I had grown up on a "Sharecropper Farm" and had a intestinal track and immune system with the bio culture accustomed to killing of the bad little things. The only thing I was infected with was a taste and hunger for both most Asian foods and most Asian women. I do remember talking to a couple of Vets back home who may have used the women but really looked down on them. They said didn't it bother me that Vietnamese women had both breath and body odor like the Nook Mam they ate. My reply was, "Yes, it makes me want to kiss them and lick them!"... :-)

AnonymousAnonymous13 days ago

I loved this story and only wish more like it could be found in this category. You have a real talent for telling a story, this was one of the easiest 5-star ratings I can remember giving for quite a while.

AsheCollinsAsheCollins13 days ago

I loved this story, thanks for writing!

AnonymousAnonymous13 days ago

Well done, brought back a lot of fond memories. Things have changed a little bit, but probably not as much as you might think. Stereotypes and misinformation still exist. There are good people no matter what.

AnonymousAnonymous13 days ago

Wonderful story! I used to have a neighbor who was married to a Korean woman. They would wave and say hi, but were otherwise not gregarious. She had a heart attack and died suddenly. Many of the neighbors attended the funeral and during the elegy we learned that he husband had been stationed in Korea, then came back to the US for a while, then went back to Korea and looked for her. He found her, they got married and she moved to the states. The undertone to the thing made me think that she was just trying to get by and doing what was necessary to do so. Your story just brought that home. Thank you for writing it. 5*****

married_but_curiousmarried_but_curious13 days ago

This story is incredibly well written, and a welcome relief from the sometimes cringe-worthy descriptions of interracial relationships on this site.

Could have used more and longer sex scenes, but if a six star rating was possible, I'd give it.

Comentarista82Comentarista8213 days ago

I really have to highly compliment you on such a quality output in this category, because the sad part is the really good and high quality authors obviously abandoned publishing in this category on the order of about 2 to 5 years ago, and it's rare these days to find anything that's not a straight stereotype or something that's very one-dimensional. In fact, to show how far down this category has crumbled, a respectable number of comments in a 30-day period is only six, which tells you and proves how little quality content makes its way here. On that alone, thank you for providing us with something that was well-thought out, addressed many of the elephants in the room, touched on even things that are still sensitive topics in America today to some degree, but shows respect to all: strictly on that basis, I really tip my hat to you for emphasizing that part of your story above all else.

linnearlinnear13 days ago

A wonderful story and I always appreciate that you take your time to develop it.

AnonymousAnonymous13 days ago

If only all the wars of the world could be sorted like this.

Crusader235Crusader23512 days ago

Such a wonderful story. I'm very glad Mi Cha found her man, and family that could love her as she desperately needed. Five stars! And thank you for it.

Davester37Davester3712 days ago

Damn! You just keep ‘em coming! This one’s another 5 star, and I go away with a stupid smile on my face. Thank you for writing and thank you for sharing your work.

WilCox49WilCox498 days ago

Excellent!

.

One thing I see in a bunch of the comments needs a comment of its own. Folks, the Korean war never really ended. An armistice was signed, and the DMZ established, but there was no real peace treaty; the two countries are still formally at war (and the north appears to want it that way).

.

Ronde, thanks for writing this. It might as well have gone in Romance with a tag for Interracial. And for the people who want more sex . . . well, Ronde has shown over and over than he can do that. This story certainly didn't need that distraction! The characters and situation speak for themselves. THANK YOU.

AnonymousAnonymous6 days ago

Brilliant story, well done. You should publish your stories in an anthology.

ExhaleSlowlyExhaleSlowly5 days ago

Great story, five stars easily!

AnonymousAnonymous1 day ago

I laughed a little when I saw the mention of Decatur. That’s not far from my home. Even with such a world with so many people, there always seems to be someone or something that’s close to home. Very well written. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

AnonymousAnonymous1 day ago

I’m a sucker for every one of your stories, thank you!

SmugglerjimSmugglerjimabout 5 hours ago

A wordsmith indeed . You are causing me to become a recluse...lol.. Great story

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userronde@ronde
Women tend to be the central characters in my stories, because I find their complex personalities to be fascinating. My stories come from my life experiences or the thoughts inspired by people I have met. I am an avid fan of history and especially the history of the America...

SIMILAR Stories