All Comments on 'Nielsen and T'Vani'

by redarchitect

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
lilwolfspiritlilwolfspiritabout 13 years ago
Very Interesting

i liked this story being a trekkie *chuckles* but i have found this side of Pon Farr totally fascinating, thank you for posting. i was always curious if the female goes throu it as the male Vulcan does..lol

Donna

SchlockTheMonkeySchlockTheMonkeyabout 13 years ago
Speaking as an old-school trekkie...

It is illogical to assume that species with chemistries as radically different as Humans and Vulcans could produce offspring naturally, and therefore through accidental procreation. I believe it was Carl Sagan who said a human would be more likely to mate successfully with a petunia. For a hybrid like Spock to exist, considerable genetic engineering would be required.

Further, it is illogical to assume a 97% pregnancy rate for Vulcan mating -- given the long lifespan of the Vulcans and the necessity of mating every seven years, such a near-guarantee of offspring would produce a birthrate far above the 2.1 births per mother necessary to maintain population. You'd instead have an utterly unsustainable population explosion. Remember, Vulcan had "an aggressive, colonizing era" but that's over -- thousands of years of more than doubling the population every generation creates an impossible situation -- Vulcan would have looked like Gideon in short order.

redarchitectredarchitectabout 13 years agoAuthor
Well...

@schlock: I am not a Vulcan :-) But if you insist...

Regarding the possibilities of cross-species procreation: there is some evidence in canon that Humans and Vulcans can procreate (yes, I'll admit, weak evidence).

And regarding 97% chance of procreation being too high, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that this was needed to offset deaths in the Vulcan's violent past, and that they have now found a perfectly logical solution to the problem (I dunno, some anticonceptive like the pill or abortion).

IrvingParkeIrvingParkeabout 13 years ago
Not bad!

The only real criticism I have (and this shows just how complete my geekdom is, I know!) is that when T'Vani flushed, she would have turned green, not red -- Vulcan blood being copper-based instead of iron. But I thoroughly enjoyed the story... even if it did leave me wanting more!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Thank you.

Please submit more stories of this type. I really enjoyed this.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous