All Comments on 'End of a Era Pt. 04'

by woodmanone

Sort by:
  • 77 Comments
hodunkhodunkabout 13 years ago
WOW!! What a great story

Well woodmanone you got me again! What a story,what a great author.

A note to everyone else, If you see anything written by this man,READ IT !! This a real dyed in the wool AUTHOR!! Read his storys or you will never know his talent.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Just Excellent

As usual I enjoyed your story, it just as a wonderful feel to it. Thanks

BigJohn601BigJohn601about 13 years ago
Woody, why did you let that damn backstabbing lilly livered yankee carpetbagger Clay Allison still breathin????

Gosh darn it, this was a dad gum fine story you writ. Cepting you left that snake Allison living. You ain't setting us up fer another tale are ye???

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
You have done it again

Once more you have placed another great story for your readers and fans.

Following the lives of this group has lead me to recognise that you are truly, a great writer, and hope to read many more of your stories.

From a dedicated fan in the U.K.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
more please

Can we have more of the adventures of Josh,Red and Dillon please

OldStormyOldStormyabout 13 years ago
A HUGE THANK YOU!

Another incredible story from a master writer and we, the humble readers, get to view it for free. Think of all the superlatives you can and then apply themselves to yourself and your writing - you have earned them all. Again, THANK YOU!

tazz317tazz317about 13 years ago
TOP NOTCH STORY

THIS STORY RANKS WITH LOUIE LAMOUR OR ZANE GREY. WMO HAS FOUND A STYLE AND CAN ONLY GET BETTER WITH HIS ABILITY TO PUT WORDS ON PAPER FOR HIS READERS. TKS TO HIM MLJ LV NV

bruce22bruce22about 13 years ago
Thanks Woody

You have really given us some fine work... The old West was not as full of heroic sheriffs as your work would suggest. Many ended up working both sides of the Law. I noted that you skirted the edge of tragedy with the refusal of Josh to put his gun on the table. Most "lawmen" would have taken out the three at that point.

<p>

You really should show your work to an agent or at least set up a site for people to purchase your e-books.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
excellent

excellent series, love all your stories.

AllosaurusRexAllosaurusRexabout 13 years ago
Thank you

An excelent story that would make a wonderful film, as would your other 3 stories. Please post more of the old west. Love your writings.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Damn Fine piece of work

I do reenactment ... you have it right

NightimevisionsNightimevisionsabout 13 years ago
Got me kinda froggy

Loved this story. You have a rare gift, and I hope to read more from you in the near future.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Thanks

For all of your great work. Loved all 4 parts of this story, and your other work as well.

Hale1Hale1about 13 years ago
Thanx for the Epilogue

Once again, you've witten the whole story.

KELTERISER1172KELTERISER1172almost 13 years ago
top marks

another rollicking good yarn - again credible plot & credible characters

A Pleasure to read - you write well

Thank You

auhunter04auhunter04almost 13 years ago
Was raised

by some men about like this and home was a horse ranch in Arizona. Before you going off about me sayin BS AZ had a range war that ran to about 1910. Arizona became a state In about 1912. It was the last refuge of those who walked the edge of the Law.

I remember a couple oldtimers Red Jones, Pete Michelbach born with the lair long and curly. They have been Jonny, sure as shootin.

This story is pretty well sums up a number of Lives.

good'nuf yarn good'nuf written and could be the recounting of actual events.

Go look up Commodore Perry Owens. He was a marshall of one county and wanted by the law it the county on each side

juanviejojuanviejoabout 12 years ago
A first class tale.

Thank you so much, Amigo, for one of the best stories I have read here. Cinco Estrellas!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Great Trillogy

I really enjoyed your stories. I look for adventure stories and usually skip the sex parts. Thanks for the adventure.

moandickmoandickover 11 years ago
Just fabulous!

I have got into sooo much trouble reading these four linked stories instead of painting the hallway in our house - well worth every second of ear-bashing!

Thank you for taking the time to entertain me so well.

javadog11javadog11over 11 years ago
OUT STANDING

This is one of the best series I have ever read. Your writing is better than outstanding, I will be waiting for more of your work. Thankyou

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
LOVED IT AS USUAL EXCELLENT

AS I SAID BEFORE WHEN I COMMENTED ON REMINGTON 44 & THE TRAIL TO PERDITION ,ANOTHER EXCELLENT STORY THAT WAS WELL WRITTEN AND SHOWS EXCELLENT DETAILS IN THE FACTS IT MAKES YOU FEEL THAT YOU ARE THERE .AND AS I SAID I ONLY WISH THAT I WAS TALENTED AS YOU ARE AND AGAIN IM QUITE SURE THAT IF YOU PUBLISHED THEM THEY WOULD BE A GREAT SUCCESS .AND AS I READ END OF AN ERA I SAID TO MYSELF THAT IT WOULD MAKE A GREAT MOVIE .THANKS AGAIN !

kennyboy25kennyboy25about 11 years ago
Thank You

I has not noticed this story. I thoroughly enjoy your writing. I very much hope this is not the end of these characters. Jerry deserves to have his story told. Thank you again.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago

Your stories are always enjoyable, I dont miss the graphic sex at all and usually skip over it anyway. My only problem is that once I start one I cant stop till I get to the end, time doesn't matter at all. Don't stop writing what ever you do, Thanks for all the good stories

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Good story except....

I know you were taking license, but I think Clay Allison would have been one of the last people to associate with the Northern Regulators/Re-constructionists, except maybe to shoot or knife them.

Allison was a Tennessee boy who fought for the Confederacy until their surrender in May of '65. After that, he lived in New Mexico and Texas. The only times he got to the Colorado Territory was driving cattle.

Don't think he ran for office anywhere. He was a little too psychotic for that. He was actually medically discharged from the Tennessee Light Artillery in January of 1862, three months after enlisting, for repeatedly threatening to kill his superiors because they wouldn't chase down and kill retreating Union soldiers. Later that year in September, he enlisted in the 9th Tennessee Cavalry.

In 1887, Allison was hauling a load of supplies to his ranch from Pecos, TX when a sack of grain above his head fell from the wagon. Trying to stop it's fall, he fell off the wagon and the wheels rolled across his neck, almost decapitating him.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Another Great Story

Sure enjoyed this fourth edition added to the trilogy. Please, keep them coming.

spud65spud65almost 9 years ago
careful woodmanone

Based on your recommendation...Another great western.... I feel l'm heading to the dark western side. Wait is that Louis L'Amour? Damn too late I'm hooked. Curses!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
era 04 2nd

it was just as good the 2nd time around. with your westerns I see Zane Grey or Louie L'Amour.

Ed Grocott

edgrocott@gmail.com

dadams0649dadams0649over 8 years ago
Another wonderful story!

I'm normally a reader of fantasy Sci-fi and techno thrillers.

Reading your western stories has gotten me to change my mind.

Please don't stop writing!

Dave Adams

dadams0649@yahoo.com

MoondogAUMoondogAUalmost 8 years ago
Excellent, thank you.

A great series of stories, and really nice to to follow the stories of the families through their adventures. Glad Johnny had a good 12 years retired from the trail.

Hope you're inspired to write some more of these great Western tales.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Reading in alphabetical order

Wished literotica had an option to filter stories by date submitted. Same as other comments, don't normally read westerns but you caught me.

Freddog6601Freddog6601over 7 years ago
Another enjoyable read

Nice story. Very good tie in of the earlier characters.

Thank you for an enjoyable read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Another Wonderful tale

What more could you ask for? A Mountain Man and cowboys. Good guys and bad guys. It was all there to enjoy. Thanks for sharing, I loved it. BK.

LalawmanLalawmanabout 7 years ago
Just a great story!

I just spent the weekend reading the trilogy and this story. Fantastic, vivid descriptions. I could see, hear, feel, and taste this story. I hope you continue to write more of these.

EMiamiRiverRatEMiamiRiverRatalmost 7 years ago
An all time favorite

You just keep putting good stories and I'll keep readin'um. One of your best here.

Cyborg504Cyborg504over 6 years ago
Thanks

Thanks for another great story. Everything that I have read of yours has been excellently written and thought provoking. GREAT JOB

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Dirty rotten confederates deserved all they got

Slave staters started a war to defend slavery and killed hundreds of thousands of good Americans. They deserved more harm than they got after their miserable war. They were as bad as nazis and to give them cred in your stories just stinks to high heavens they murdered every fine thing in civilization and only paid part of the price

Pretending the confederates were well mannered decent folks is pure insanity considering their lives were based on buying selling and living off slaves almost 60 years after being banned by british empire (1802)

Had nothing to do with states rights, the states came together as recently as 1815 as a group to defeat the brits. 45 years later those human pieces of shit were attacking their bretheren at Fort Sumpter. After those bastards got what they asked for they turned their greed and guns on the west and slaughtered whole populations to steal their lands and water. Murdered everyone in sight, your stories have no soul

woodmanonewoodmanoneabout 6 years agoAuthor
To Anon of 3/6

First thank you for you comment even if it does take a right angle turn from my beliefs.. Most of the people who fought for the south had nor never had owned slaves. My family in particular. It was a matter of states rights and more of a pissing contest between two factions in the government.

The savior of the world, the North, were more worried about the balance of power in congress than slavery. A large percentage of the soldiers of the North were in it for the money. The times were hard in the North and the men saw a chance at a good wage, at least for the times. I feel most could care less about slavery and more about providing for themselves and their familys.

Don't get me wrong, slavery is wrong and horrible but look deeper than the hype of the years and see the truth.

I probably haven't changed your mind but you should know the truth of the times.

If you feel as strongly as you do, I suggest you don't read any more of my work.

Woodmanone.

Firmhands5Firmhands5about 6 years ago
Had a grandfather like that

Taught me about the out-of-doors - worked well in the jungles of Laos and Cambodia

PhotoMeisterPhotoMeisterabout 6 years ago
Order of Josh & Red stories

This is actually more than a trilogy since it contains four stories (in this order):

1. The Trail West

2. Winterborn

3. The Gathering

4. End of an Era

TalonsreachTalonsreachabout 6 years ago
A good addendum

This story was a capstone to Wooodmanone's original trilogy. Expanding it to encompass the forming of a new state and the political machinations of unscrupulous politicians seeking power at any cost was the context needed to fully flesh out the story of a "more civilized" society that still had roots in a violent time. The added feature of recapping the end of the mountain man way of life was skillfully interwoven through this as well. All in all, a great addition to an already appreciated work. Great job.

xtchrxtchralmost 6 years ago
Thank You!

What A Story! Thank you, thank you, Thank you. This is one of the better stories and I didn't want it to end. I really enjoyed this story.

Thank you for your writing and sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Grand reading

I have enjoyed your work more than most in Lit.

They are like a breath of fresh air

Please continue

Ken Hinshaw

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Your stories

I have read all of your stories and you are a great writer and story teller. I have really enjoyed all of your stories, especially the ones about Josh, Red, Dillon and their families. I hope you will continue to write more stories.

IntruderjamesIntruderjamesover 5 years ago
Thanks

You know I joined here for sex drugs and rock n roll..

Here I am simply dying to read more cowboy stories..

Thank You for the enjoyment ..please carry on writing

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Western Stories

This was another great Western Stories that you have written. I have read all of the stories you have posted and you are a great writer. I especially like your western stories and hope you will continue to post more stories. Thanks for your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
WOW!

LO lin\\! Great story but the best part was Clint's eulogy!

PhotoMeisterPhotoMeisterover 4 years ago
Just as great as the first three!

Thanks for another great story set in the old west.

For those that haven't read the first 3 stories the chronological order is:

1. The Trail West

2. Winterborn

3. The Gathering

4. End of an Era

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great Stuff!

These stories would surely make great movies!

HarleyusaoneHarleyusaoneover 4 years ago
Oh

Reading your stories

Just gets better and better

Thank you for sharing

tazz317tazz317over 4 years ago
WHEN YOU LIVE YOUR LIFE ONE WAY BY A CODE

no body can expect that code to change even for death, TK U MLJ LV NV

wyldwulffwyldwulffover 4 years ago
Great reads

I've read all four of your westerns, as a life long reader of Zane Grey and Louis L'Amour I'd say your stories are as interesting and fun to read as theirs.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
no i haven't read all of your stories

But I am trying to I really like your stories, I like most thing western, I have read all three of these groups , my only complaint is they are little short. I mean this one was only four chapters. Trails west was 8. I know it's like writing a book, happy days

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
WOW!!!

The entire saga of "The Trail West", "Winterburn", "The Gathering" and "The End Of An Era" are quite entertaining and compelling but the simple ending to the saga was quite moving! These would make a great TV series!

SawbSawbover 3 years ago
Awesome

Just awesome

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15over 3 years ago

Excellent ending. He never did get to see Clint Hobart again. Good to see Tom Ryan again. Sorry about Juanita. So sad.

Enjoyed this series immensely!

ewray321ewray321over 3 years ago
Comment

I usually just vote and not comment. I have to say this was the best series and story telling I have read on here. Thank you.

flareb2343flareb2343about 3 years ago
STATES RIGHTS

just look at what is going on now. with the dumbocrats in office. have read all the western stories Woodmanone has written at least 4 or more times. all of those demos want to disarm us yet they have armed gaurds

flareb2343flareb2343about 3 years ago
NO NAME 3/17

the yankees had the ships that brought the slaves . their own people sold them to the yankees . there is still slavery over there today. states rights is still an issue today. the same A$$ holes today in power. pervert joe in office !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Absolutely Wonderful

....But, I think you left out one small detail at the end. I can't help wonder how much more would have added to the story if Josh and Red had either written to or telegramed the reporter and her father to let them know of Johnny's demise. How would they have reacted??? Would they do a re-print of the original story she wrote, adding her feelings at his loss?? What would she have added in eulogy in his obituary???

Just my thoughts. Love all your westerns. I keep reading them over and over!

CumminginsiderherCumminginsiderherabout 3 years ago
I love the tie-in

to Josh, Red, and Dillion.

I've been to those Mineral Springs in Colorado, they are very soothing. I lived in Boulder, Parker, and played Mountain Man for a summer up in Cripple Creek before they got all stupid with the Casinos. I still own a chunk of unusable mountain up there but it's a mess from all the gold mining (I don't own mineral rights lol).

Another good story

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

No two ways about it starting with the trilogy the Trail West, then Winterborn, followed by the Gathering, tying all of these excellent stories together with End of a Era also an excellent read, you created a most enjoyable epic story that touch on a universe of human emotions. It is so hard to find truly wonderful stories where as you read them the minds eye view them as if watching a movie. Well done each moment of my time was well spent reading these four captivating stories. Thank you for your time, creativity, and efforts to bringing those who read them such enjoyment.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago
WOW!

The epilogue is quite moving and hard to hold back the tears. Your westerns are the best stories I've ever read, as far as short stories go. You have a real nack for writing this type of story. Hope you'll be writing more westerns!

DarknsDarknsalmost 2 years ago

Hands down one of the best western storytellers @woodmanone.

Thanks again for another great reading experience.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I have read this collection so many times it is getting dog-eared!

Thank you for superb storytelling in a genre I love.

If ever the Spirit moves you to return us to your West, we wii be waiting and welcoming!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Thank you for your time and efforts writing these fantastic stories and being kind enough to share them with us. 5 stars is definately not enough. Thank you.

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmithabout 1 year ago

Wow! One hell of a tale! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

You are a blessing to me and your readers. You have filled my heart with joy with your fantastic stories. God bless you for the joy you bring us!!

linnearlinnear11 months ago

Fantastic and I'll always want more of this group. We all go sometime but it was sad to see Johnny go, I have years as I write this.

wonder203wonder2039 months ago

Great story with lots of great history and connection to your other stories. I hope you keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

It is a shame that Woodmanone doesn't write here anymore. I certainly miss his stories.

Hope this finds you well sir. Thank you for all your efforts for our (free) enjoyment.

Doc

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Very well done! Thanks

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

To: Woodsmanone

Subject: Your excellent story

From: Ole fisherman

Thanks so very much.

DanabooksDanabooks3 months ago

Back again. The 4 series are well written. I'll keep reading more of your stories again. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Fantastic writing. Bravo for not ruining this fine work with sex. I know the country you wrpte about?generally I mean.

Thank ya kindly

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

I have to honestly say that I have thoroughly enjoyed each and everyone of your 4 series . All are well written and definitely hard to put down thank .

Crusader235Crusader235about 1 month ago

Another great tale as told by a real teller of tall tales. Thank you Woodman, I love all your stories.

Semper Fi

Ronny2782Ronny278218 days ago

Thank you so much for all your amazing stories. I'm making it my mission

to read all 131 of them + any future tales that you gift us with.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userwoodmanone@woodmanone
2295 Followers
I believe age and cunning will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time. Being some what of an egomaniac I believe my stories are very interesting. Only the readers can verify or disprove that premise. Several of my stories are based on my own experience or most have a little ...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

End of a Era Series Info