All Comments on 'Muzzleflash from a BFG'

by HarryHill

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
greenmountaineergreenmountaineeralmost 10 years ago

This is outstanding, Harry. Of course, I'm a sucker for war poems. LOL.

I like the internal rhymes, not too many, just enough to give it a little pep.

I also like the punctuation marks, not the symbol; I mean the words and the way you increase the "decibel" level with them by the end of the poem.

pelegrinopelegrinoalmost 10 years ago

I am completely in ideological agreement with the anti war feelings expressed, and expressed so vividly and with fine straight forward artistry.

In general, I think that all poetry should be involved more with this panhuman subject cause its danger is ever present. Thanks, Harry.

5ed, and the recommendation by GM well deserved and seconded.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
too late tonight to do this justice

but i will definitely be back. masses going on in this piece, H x

me (b)

MagnetronMagnetronalmost 10 years ago

Haha! You had me wondering what a BFG was.

CleardaynowCleardaynowalmost 10 years ago
Is this actually about war?

Now I am not sure if I am being stupid. Though, comfortingly, from reading stories and comments on other hubs, I am pretty sure there are other people even more stupid than me on the wider Literotica site.

I do not read this as a poem about war but about marriage/relationships/lives using war as a metaphor. As such, I think it works very well and the shifts and different perspectives are very powerful.

The ‘attrition rate high from cheating or beers’ seemed to show this - drinking and cheating do not usually result in a high casualty rate in war. Each of the verses then makes sense (farming behind shattered walls, thicker and higher walls).

I really like this poem a great deal as it combines the erudition and word facility with something powerful and real (human relations rather than war). I always judge a poem primarily by the quality of what it conveys – emotionally and intellectually. This is by far and away the best poem I have seen by Harry and a very fine poem indeed.

The BFG? Well I have used or had used a few of these in my time.

Cannot make any sense of thorium, despite my trusty friends Google and Wikipedia.

Ashesh9Ashesh9almost 10 years ago
as the newest member of the Nuclear Haves my Nation too is guilty of incessant greed

for Thorium , Harry but we were Peaceniks forced by a rough neighbourhood to pick up the Nuclear Option !!??

that being said this is an outstandin' piece of Anti-War Poetry & justifiably recommended by GM : sorry for commentin' very late , Bro . I High-5 ed this .

TrixareforkidsTrixareforkidsalmost 10 years ago
I agree with Cleardaynow

Mostly. I think it's about both or the corollaries and tit for tat nature of both. I'd say more but it probably veers off topic.

Nice work Harry.

todski28todski28over 9 years ago
damn

how did I miss this, there are multiple directions this can be taken by the reader, well written sonics as always Harry, everything else has been said 5ed

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userHarryHill@HarryHill
98 Followers
I believe that to become a writer one must first be a reader; attempt saturation in that endeavor