Whispersecret's Cliché Thread got me thinkin'...

Puppi

Literotica Guru
Hello. :) I've decided to write a story for the Halloween contest for the first time ever. What I want to know is, in your opinion(s), what are some clichés to look out for when writing a Halloween story? Also, where might I be able to find some old Halloween stories? (I noticed they don't have their own category like the Valentine's stories do.)

I think the "cliche storyline" is not so much a problem as lack of imagination when using one. I really don't know what a "Halloween cliche storyline" looks like, so I can't tell you what to avoid. Likewise for other Halloween stories on Lit, but there's a lot of history to the holiday that would make pretty good subject matter.

Puppi said:
Also, where might I be able to find some old Halloween stories? (I noticed they don't have their own category like the Valentine's stories do.)

The story search function the story index link at the bottom of the page turns up 140 hits on "halloween."

Halloween cliches:

Mistaken identity at a costume party (Usually Daddy/Daughter or Mother/Son).

Trick-or-Treater gets more than candy.

Mystery lover turns out to be a ghost/ghoul/vampire.

Sexy costume frees libido and shy girl turns into a slut.

"Cinderella"

These are relly more sub-categories of halloween stories than they are cliches, but they're the more typical scenarios for halloween stories. I wouldn't necessarily avoid those scenarios, but I would try to use a bit of character development and apply a twist to the plot to keep them from being cliched.

I don't know much about Hallowe'en, but you guys have jack o'lanterns, right? Pumpkins where you carve out orifices and insert warm things, right?

Shit, barred from Literotica for being too perverted.

I absolutely hate the stories (not erotic, just in general) where the character turns out to be dead. like, the first time I read one, (goosebumps lol) it was cool, but then I read a million others and they just got dumber and dumber. The Others did something similar but I thought they used it well enough...but...don't do that.

Chicklet

Chicklet said:

The Others did something similar but I thought they used it well enough...

I thought The Others was a good movie. :) I realized the "staff" was dead pretty fast, but not the family. That blindsided me. I think they could have done a lot more with the actual family living there holding seances and whatnot. That would have been cool.

Halloween, hmmmm forget fucking a woman you thought you knew that was in disguise, god talk about predictable.

How about horror, I mean TRUE horror, the stuff that Stephen King might produce.
Or if horror is not yer cup of tea, how about an erotic tale set in a very early historical setting?

After all, halloween is more than halloween 2002 at the office.

Oops last post was me (turfed the cookies this morning).

Oh might as well take the chance to mention, that by horror I don't mean dull ghoulish vampire retread notions.

Though I wrote Horror before I got into erotica (and still write some once in a while), I plan to make my contest submission erotic.

I was just looking for some caution signs of what's been over done. ;)

Rainbow Skin said:
I don't know much about Hallowe'en, but you guys have jack o'lanterns, right? Pumpkins where you carve out orifices and insert warm things, right?

Shit, barred from Literotica for being too perverted.

Is that where Pumpkin, the nickname, originated from?

Back