A moving question?

Mae13

Special Needs Woman
Well, the time is coming closer and closer to my move across the globe...and I am left wondering how on earth to get my 'bag of tricks' moved safely and discreetly! All my moves beforehand have been stateside, so I have taken my more "interesting objects" with me in my vehicle. This time I don't have that luxury! Since I will have all my luggage searched for the overseas flight, it's not an option to bring them with me this time, which means they have to go in my household goods. Have others faced this when being professionally moved? I am thinking the easiest might be to get a good locking box or some such thing, that they can all fit into. Nothing is very big, so that's a plus. I think the movers will pack that up in some other, bigger box. They inventory things rather thoroughly...I hadn't given much thought to it until I was sorting through my closet today! One more thing to figure out, argh!

My things will be in storage for a while too on the Germany side, and while I know supposedly no one riffles through your things...(yeah right!) there is the possibility. I'd rather not have my toys disappear, I am rather sentimentally attached to a couple of them!

Any input is appreciated, I'd like to cross this detail off my checklist, it's growing at too rapid a rate as is!

mae

You might want to consider packing your things up and having them shipped to yourself at your new address. I know a lot of people who go to Toronto to play, and canadian customs are very strict on any sort of BDSM stuff, so many people have there toys mailed to themselves at their hotels.

I had airport security go through my whole toy bag once. They didn't even blink. One thing though- no handcuffs! That will get you in deep trouble at the airport!

Last edited:
Well....*ahem* I'm in a little different situation here...I won't exactly be flying in a civilian aircraft, if ya know what I mean...the uniformed world can be *quite* the small network, ehehehee... and a lil more dangerous to tread through if you're not mainstreame enough.

Damn. Maybe I'll just let the movers deal with it. At least I'll only see them once, and leave them here when I go away forever... :D
I just don't want someone to take a liking to something and nick it out of my stuff whilst in storage! I could just imaging trying to claim that...god my mind works in strange ways when I'm up too late for my own good! How would you rate cost on things like that? *snicker*

Mae13 said:
Well....*ahem* I'm in a little different situation here...I won't exactly be flying in a civilian aircraft, if ya know what I mean...the uniformed world can be *quite* the small network, ehehehee... and a lil more dangerous to tread through if you're not mainstreame enough.

Damn. Maybe I'll just let the movers deal with it. At least I'll only see them once, and leave them here when I go away forever... :D
I just don't want someone to take a liking to something and nick it out of my stuff whilst in storage! I could just imaging trying to claim that...god my mind works in strange ways when I'm up too late for my own good! How would you rate cost on things like that? *snicker*

May I just say that it stinks that you are leaving the country before I got to meet you?
;)
Good luck with your move.

If it was me in your shoes i'd go with UPS.
They are the best and fastest way to ship toys and bondage equiptment.You even get a number to call and in just a couple
of minutes they can tell you where your package is.
I think they have overnight shipping also.Your package would probably get there before you.
:cool:

been there done that

umm un-civilon?..you'll need a dds-dod.234512 form for those items sir. really you mean you have a form for that?. yes sir we have a form or a manual for everything. Ummm she said, i'll take it frome here, spec. yup she took it from there all right and you gots too love that uniform

been there done that

umm un-civilian?..
you'll need a DDS-DOD.234512 form for those items sir.
really you mean you have a form for that?.
yes sir we have a form or a manual for everything.
Ummm she said, I'll take it from here, spec.
do you have a manual for this equipment sir?
umm no but I am familiar with its operation.
I'm afraid sir were going too have too impound the items in questions until you can provide, too me, sufficient working knowledge of said items.........

Two different ways too do it.

One. place the items in question into there own box. have the movers place that box into one of there own. don't make a big deal out of it. the box's are numbered and labeled you get a sheet when there done just check it and sign off. your stuff is then transported too the warehouse were its all put into a container
and shipped overseas to await your beck and call. the box is huge and it's sealed. customs just puts a stamp on it no inspection (consider its source) and then it sits there in a giant warehouse with all of the other things. nobody dares break the seal. consider who will find them if they do

two, again with the box, only this time pre position with ups too hold said box until you call for a delivery. customs doesn't even check there box's unless there is a reason fed ex is good also just make sure the items are insured for twice there value and you can be sure it will get too you un harmed

I've done that run several times already all over the friggen world and you'd be amazed at what you can find in a different country

Thanks guys! You know...that's what I get for tryin to figure out something when I am up far past my bedtime, lol! The UPS idea...why did that not even cross my mind? I think I will either a) Take a lovely lady up on her offer to hold them for me if I ship them in advance, or b) Have a close friend here keep them and then ship them to me once I am established and actually have an address to send it to!

Lol gweilo, your little rendition sounds so much like other aspects of this move that it's scary :) I'm already having to figure out how to get my firearms shipped to good ol mom since I can't bring those either...*grumble* and they're even German made...I mean honestly! Ah well...
As far as the things I can find in another country...I am quite sure that Germany will offer many, MANY things that the agonizing wasteland of South Dakota has not :D

Monika, I will be somewhat near Saarbruken, somewhat near Mannheim...somewhere kinda inbetween those places! I won't find a place to live until I get over there in May. Eeek! It's all rather overwhelming...and of course my best-laid plans to learn some German before I leave hasn't happened yet. Perhaps I will study it some on the long plane ride over!

Aarrgh, just one more thing to figure out and sort out while I am separating that which I'm taking with me on the plane, packing over there in general, keeping in storage here...bleah. I want someone to do all this part for me, lol!

Thank you again for your insights!
mae

Hi Mae

If you don't want the movers rifling through your gear, and with the present security climate that is entirely probable, put it in storage in the US......and then buy more in Germany. They have some interesting shops out there and a better attitude to those shops.

Mae: I think you've got the right idea from all the good advice here--ship it to yourself through an intermediary that won't pry, or who's comfortable with the contents. If you *do* decide to have the movers handle it, I'd put it in a locked box. Just make sure the box isn't metal, as the customs x-rays will pick it up, and then they'll want it opened. Wood, or even a sealed cardboard box, is less likely to draw attention.

On the handcuffs/airport thing: Well before 9/11 caused airport paranoia, hubby and I took a pair of handcuffs (among other things) on our honeymoon. I forgot the cuffs were in my carry-on, and security noticed them. We had to spend an hour being questioned, then they put them in a sealed box in the storage hold. But, they gave them back on the other side, and all was well. If it happened now, somebody'd probably have shot us!

Good luck on your move, Mae.

RS

Oh Glyn....

You can be sure the shopping is one of the things I am quite looking forward to over there. *happy sigh* I'm not really a shopping-happy kind of gal, either! But, this will be quite different from the average jaunt to the mall. I plan on having far more things to worry about getting shipped back to the States in a few years than I do getting out of the States now! I hear there are quite a few admirable leatherworkers in GE.

Now...if I find someone to go shopping with me...that would be even better :D A girl can hope!

Risia, thank you for your well wishes on the move. As the time draws closer, I find myself overwhelmed and somewhat terrified of it. Hopefully, it will be a fear that will turn into that happy/excited feel of the first roller-coaster drop once the actual ride gets underway. It is a long, long distance from all that I have known and loved in my life so far. *gulp*

meow

No, I think you misunderstood, that actually happened at a check point. She was the cutest thing. With a smirk, that said it all.

Firearms...once again you gots too love UPS. just declare them on the form and all will be well. Browning 9MM military issue. brought it on TV late one night. All they wanted was a credit card and an address. God I love TV...Wife loved her new piece. UPS next day service...Just sign here sir.
The Germans are real pissy about guns. World War II and all that. You should see the paper work if god forbid anyone has too fire it. Wait untill you find out what else you have too register when you get there ........
Leatherworkers..those people invented S&M. God I miss ursala. with that sexy german accent...sigh
For a few pictures and a watch me session. I'll come and pack and sort your stuff....Hmmm whens the next flight?
I love those nipple rings, mine arient as large. rings that is........C

Hmmm, Saarbrücken, Mannheim... I have to see how much BDSM scene is active around there. I guess it's not much, both are smallish towns, but you never know.
I'm living in Hamburg, that's in northern Germany and Saarbrücken/Mannheim is southwest.

Most Germans speak at least some english, it's the first foreign language we learn in school, so you should get along, but any effort to speak german is apprechiated.

<ponder> A BDSM language school... all students shackled to their desks... and punishment... Mmmmmm <drool>
:) I have been teaching german to Americans... Hmmm... :D

Monika

Heeyyyy - Monika! I saw her first!

*chuckles* seriously Mae - if you get over here and there is anything you need to have translated no problem at all *winks* between Monika and I, I am sure we can even sort out the weirdest stuff *g*

You are welcome to get in touch any time Mae - and who knows, we might even get to arrange for a shopping weekend somewhere "among us girls" *s* I wil be south-east soon but then again - germany isn't THAT huge either.

Anyway - have fun packing - I KNOW I am NOT having a lot of fun, being pretty much in the sdsame situation as youare right now - though mine is an "inner-germany" move only (but the first in over 10 years so talk about lots of stuff)

<ponder> A BDSM language school... all students shackled to their desks... and punishment... Mmmmmm <drool>

Can't we add that to the hotel plans and declare it a language school? so much less hassle with the authorities *g* might even get some financial support for cultural and educational activities??
:D

Edited for this:
Hmmm, Saarbrücken, Mannheim... I have to see how much BDSM scene is active around there. I guess it's not much, both are smallish towns, but you never know.

SMALLISH?! hrmpfh - you don't know the corner I will be moving to - is that kinda ... non-existant then??? THere should definitely be more happening there than in my future (and present actaully) neck of the woods - easy enough if you start from a level zero basis though *winks*

Last edited:
hmmm... Devious Dommes Language Boarding School?
Sounds like a plan, Hecate! :D Let's see... we'll have a hotel, a leather shop (Frouwa Aph's Leather Creations) and language classes.

Well... and that town you are moving to... well... a tiny dot on the map... but perhaps there are pervs around there too. <g>

Hmmm... a shopping trip... now that's an idea <eg> imagine the fun we'll have and then we hit the scene and create some havoc among the subs in town! :D

Monika

Hey Mae...

I thought you might like to hear from a mover. :) I spent several summers during college working for a moving company here in the Washington DC area. As you might guess, this area is filled with military personnel. I'd say 98% of our business was military. They tend to use the same moving company once they find one they like. After I was there for a month or two, I got on the "baggage route". Basically, me and another guy spent our days driving around picking up whole baggage (the items you get to send that will arrive at your destination right after you get there). Whole baggage is restricted by weight. The higher ranking you are the more weight you get to send. Unless your sending your TV and stereo and a bunch of other heavy shit, you shouldn't have a problem going over your weight limit.

This kind of baggage is packaged in really huge boxes. There were two different sizes (medium and large). These boxes are extra thick cardboard and can hold up to 300 or 400 lbs. Basically, we would arrive at the house, the person would point out what they wanted shipped. We would wrap somethings (for padding), box up breakable things, and the rest was basically packed into the box as is. Nothing was opened. And we also delivered baggage. The majority of the time we would carry the boxes into their house and leave. A few times they wanted them unpacked and for us to take the boxes. But that was rare. It mostly occurred when people lived in high rise apartments and getting rid of the boxes would be a hassle for them. Most of the time we'd drop the boxes, open them and hit the road. We were on a tight schedule so we tried to get in and out fast.

My advice... pack you "stuff" in a gym bag or box. Wrap it up with towels or clothes so it doesn't jiggle. When they ask what it is... say "clothes". That's about the level of detail they want. Once that big box is closed, it's not opened until it arrives at the destination. In the entire time I worked there (probably delivered over 2000 pieces of baggage) I saw one box that had been opened... and that was because it was damaged in shipping and they opened it to transfer the items to a new box. But they didn't open anything that was inside the big box.

And baggage usually arrives just after you arrive there. So... if your willing to wait, that's one option.

Hope that helps.

- PBW

Back