Greetings, and a question ...

Tatewaki

Always Scribblin'
Hello, all!

First, an introduction, then a rather awkwardly phrased explanation/justification, then a question. Please bear with me. I've started a new thread here. Hope no one minds.

First off, just want to say that while the whole BDSM lifestyle fascinates me, I can't say that I have any real experience with it. I've read extensively, including your own Monster/Momma/Mondo thread. (Only at page 33 of 135 of that beastie! There was so much good info in it, I had to slow down and let some of it digest. Simply too much to retain all at once.) I've dabbled in it, especially with light restraints, spanking, wax play and the like, but I don't feel like that means all that much. I didn't consider that to be practising BDSM. Rather it was just me enjoying doing the things I liked to do with a willing woman. All of this to say that while I have a working theoretical knowledge of the scene, I know very little from a practical standpoint. In my view, it's hands on that matters, not the book learning.

Relatively recently I had a relationship with a woman who was very much into the scene. The sex was great, and she opened my eyes to what BDSM really could mean. The first thing she taught me was "Less is More." Reading some of the literature available, one would think that every sex session has to be intense, always incorporating a plethora of toys and torture devices that would take an entire walk-in closet to store. Never crossed my mind that she'd find me cutting her meat for her in an expensive restaurant, then feeding it to her one morsel at a time with my fingers to be exciting and to be 'practising BDSM'. Not until she explained to me how strict her parents were about proper table manners and etiquette. Me forcing her to do even this small thing in a public setting, this act that went against many years of conditioning, excited her terribly. This concept I could readily grasp.

The second thing she taught me, the thing that bothers me to this day in some ways, was an observation she made on night while in bed. We'd just finished having sex when she rolled over and, while stroking my cheek, said that I was definitely a Dominant because I lacked the strength to be a submissive.

!?!

I was totally floored. Not by me being Dominant, which I figured out on my own, but by the whole strength/weakness thing. Didn't understand her at all. Sorry to say, the more she tried to make me understand her, the more confused -- and angrier! -- I became. This reaction, she said, just reinforced her point.

I'll try to recap some of the major points of our "discussion" here. Maybe some of you can help me figure this stuff out:

1- My strength is tied into the person I'm with. She noticed that left by myself, I am pretty easygoing, and casual about a lot of things. I don't push myself forward unless someone crosses me. However, when I'm with a girlfriend, I'm very protective of them, and of myself. Not in a boasting, tough-guy way, but in a stern, firm way. For example, in restaurants I'll put up with bad service and will rarely complain. As long as I eat, it really doesn't matter. Same scenario but with a date, and I'll ask to see the manager and make a complaint. I hate to see someone I'm with taken advantage of, or made unhappy. That spurs me to action.

In her mind, I have this "Must Protect, Must Cherish" thing going on. She liked that about me, actually! I just don't see how that means my strength is tied to anyone else. She made it sound like I was an invertebrate otherwise, and only developed a spine when with a woman I'm screwing.

2- I easily give commands, and expect them to be obeyed. I'm often shocked when people don't do what I say. Although I usually do get my way because my orders are logical, beneficial, apparent or what-not, she notices that I hate to be challenged. I'm also very charismatic, and people almost instinctively trust me and the things I say.

I ran a shop for over eight years. I had a staff of ten. It was my job to give people orders! I never considered this trait to be indicative of a Dominant personality. Is it? And yeah, if an employee got lippy with me, of course I'd be put off. Who wouldn't? The way she phrased it, though, made me think that she saw me as someone who would sulk if he wasn't obeyed.

3- I have to be in control of everything, and at all times. I need to feel that all events are within my sphere of influence, and that I can make things easier for those I care about by force of will alone. When things beyond my control manifest, I don't know how to deal with them. I have difficulty acknowledging the perverseness of the Cosmos.

Didn't know what to say to that. I imagine no one likes things bad things to happen to them! I hate surprises. She seemed to think that I'd never learned how to let go, go with the flow, and ride things out. Are all Dominants control-freaks? That is what I gleaned from this point. Don't know if I agree.

4- The final point I'll bring up, seeing how long this bloody post is already, is the last one she raised. I have a marked lack of trust in people, which ties directly into points 2 and 3, and to a lesser extent, 1. I need to control everything because no one else can be trusted to do so. I give commands because others would feel lost without them. My natural aggressiveness is triggered when those in "my charge" are threatened somehow, because I feel them incapable of dealing with threats themselves. Since I feel that they are incapable of taking care of themselves, I assume the Dominant role, to protect them from the world.

Well, we discussed these points, and others, through most of the night. In the morning she left, but the questions remain. Am I really like that? Is this what being a Dominant entails?

If it is, I don't want it!

Done a lot of soul searching since that night. Some of the behaviours she describes are bang-on, but her reasons behind them are way of the mark. So, after all of this blathering, I'll ask my question:

Do all submissive people feel deep-down that Dominants are intrinsically flawed, weak individuals who boss around those who they feel are their inferiors in order to feed some hidden need inside them? Do they secretly feel that since submissive people bend like the reed in the torrential floodwaters and go with the flow, they are stronger than those brittle, rigid oak-like Dominants who are doomed to have their trunks snapped in twain or to be uprooted and washed away?

-T

First off, well come. Oh, yes. You are very welcome. Read the post, and loved it. How hard it must have been to open up here, even among strangers.

But we aren't strangers, are we? But fellow searchers, looking for the all knowing, all powerful to answer and help.

I am heading off to work, but my fingers itch to respond here. Am printing it up and shall work on it at work. Hope you do not mind.

Again you are a most welcome addition to our "family".

Merelan said:
First off, well come. Oh, yes. You are very welcome ... Again you are a most welcome addition to our "family."

Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

-T

Tatewaki said:

Do all submissive people feel deep-down that Dominants are intrinsically flawed, weak individuals who boss around those who they feel are their inferiors in order to feed some hidden need inside them? Do they secretly feel that since submissive people bend like the reed in the torrential floodwaters and go with the flow, they are stronger than those brittle, rigid oak-like Dominants who are doomed to have their trunks snapped in twain or to be uprooted and washed away?

-T

This is a good question...being a Dom I can not tell you what submisives think........hell I can not tell you what any woman thinks.........:D

I can say welcome to these boards and to BDSM.
I can also welcome you to the real world.....

We are all flawed...we can NOT control anything but ourselves

IMHO D/s is a partnership.........

Richard
Michigan

Re: Re: Greetings, and a question ...

Richard49 said:
I can not tell you what submisives think........hell I can not tell you what any woman thinks.........:D

This I knew even before that night! Good to be reminded, though. Half the time I don't know what I really feel about any given subject. Why I expect to be able to fathom the motives of anyone else mystifies me.

Richard49 said:
I can also welcome you to the real world.....

I'm unsure of your meaning here. Are you thinking that I believed I was without any flaws or human frailties? If so, let me say that's not the case. I'm well aware of many of my shortcomings. I was, however, surprised by the spin she placed on the four shortcomings I mentioned in my original post.

Richard49 said:
We are all flawed...we can NOT control anything but ourselves.
IMHO D/s is a partnership.........

I think that last point you raised is the key. I just have to suss out the lock it fits ...

-T

Welcome to this thread, it does open the mind...

And now for a different point of view...from a female dominant.

"The second thing she taught me, the thing that bothers me to this day in some ways, was an observation she made on night while in bed. We'd just finished having sex when she rolled over and, while stroking my cheek, said that I was definitely a Dominant because I lacked the strength to be a submissive."

That is her opinion, but it does smack of the "my kink is better than your kink" school of thinking. I have several male submissives and none of them are weak. But I am not weak either. Many dominants start out in the lifelstyle as submissives, and through this they find that their "strength" lies in another direction.

Both dominants and submissives have strength, it is just different. Not better or worse, just different.

" In her mind, I have this "Must Protect, Must Cherish" thing going on. She liked that about me, actually! I just don't see how that means my strength is tied to anyone else. She made it sound like I was an invertebrate otherwise, and only developed a spine when with a woman I'm screwing."

Maybe it is me, but I fail to see the correlation. Behavior in a vanilla relationship may very well differe than behaviour in a D/s context.

" I easily give commands, and expect them to be obeyed. I'm often shocked when people don't do what I say. Although I usually do get my way because my orders are logical, beneficial, apparent or what-not, she notices that I hate to be challenged. I'm also very charismatic, and people almost instinctively trust me and the things I say."

"I ran a shop for over eight years. I had a staff of ten. It was my job to give people orders! I never considered this trait to be indicative of a Dominant personality. Is it? And yeah, if an employee got lippy with me, of course I'd be put off. Who wouldn't? The way she phrased it, though, made me think that she saw me as someone who would sulk if he wasn't obeyed."

You are absolutely right. Being in charge is not necessarily indicative of being a dominant. All of my male submissives are dominant in their work/vanilla lives, and daily have to give orders to others. I know male submissives who are corporate presidents, directors, stockbrokers, policemen, doctors, lawyers, accountants, and teachers. They all have a lot of responsiblity.

"Didn't know what to say to that. I imagine no one likes things bad things to happen to them! I hate surprises. She seemed to think that I'd never learned how to let go, go with the flow, and ride things out. Are all Dominants control-freaks? That is what I gleaned from this point. Don't know if I agree."

Being a control freak has nothing to do with dominant behaviour.

" The final point I'll bring up, seeing how long this bloody post is already, is the last one she raised. I have a marked lack of trust in people, which ties directly into points 2 and 3, and to a lesser extent, 1. I need to control everything because no one else can be trusted to do so. I give commands because others would feel lost without them. My natural aggressiveness is triggered when those in "my charge" are threatened somehow, because I feel them incapable of dealing with threats themselves. Since I feel that they are incapable of taking care of themselves, I assume the Dominant role, to protect them from the world."

Again I must say, that this has nothing to do with being a dominant.

"Well, we discussed these points, and others, through most of the night. In the morning she left, but the questions remain. Am I really like that? Is this what being a Dominant entails?"

Being a dominant is not like what you describe, unfortunately there are many men and women calling themselves dominants who exhibit this type of behaviour.

"Do all submissive people feel deep-down that Dominants are intrinsically flawed, weak individuals who boss around those who they feel are their inferiors in order to feed some hidden need inside them? Do they secretly feel that since submissive people bend like the reed in the torrential floodwaters and go with the flow, they are stronger than those brittle, rigid oak-like Dominants who are doomed to have their trunks snapped in twain or to be uprooted and washed away?"

I do not speak for my submissives, but I can say this, I do not think that a dominant could get and keep a submissive who believed his/her dominant was so flawed, unless th esubmissive was mentally ill.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Ebony <Mistress to tavish and sissyboy>

Ebonyfire;

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post. Much appreciated.

Regards,

-T

Re: Re: Greetings, and a question ...

Ebonyfire said:
Welcome to this thread, it does open the mind...

And now for a different point of view...from a female dominant.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Ebony <Mistress to tavish and sissyboy>

Ebony

This is an excellent responds

Richard

T-

She sounds way off base on many of her points.

Firstly, perhaps you do find yourself more likely to affect action when you have an S/O. I think that is a natural reaction in any relationship. As a Dom, your sub should fulfill you, make you whole. If she lends you reason to speak up, so be it. It certainly doesn't mean you are half a person or a lesser person without an S/O.

Secondly, the issue concerning your lacking the "strength " to be a sub...well, it takes strength to recognize your needs and find a manner in which they are met, Dom or sub.

Third: Doms true to themselves are not "control freaks." As Ebony pointed out, many subs hold positions of authority in their real time lives. As for me, I have done so and will do so again. I, too, am a "If you want it done right, do it yourself" type person and I am a sub, an intense and needy sub!

And no no no....I do not view Doms as having a flawed character or flawed anything else. That is just plain silly.

I would hope that you are either no longer involved with this partner or that she is researching BDSM and enlightenment.

Take care and I hope my awkward two cents hasn't bored you senseless.

Miss T

MissTaken said:
I would hope that you are either no longer involved with this partner or that she is researching BDSM and enlightenment.

On the contrary, I am glad that you took the time to read through my lengthy post and answer it so quickly. Feel free to "bore" me anytime!

BTW, I've severed all communication with her. Too judgemental for my tastes. Life is hard enough!

Warmest,

-T

You are right on, Miss T

MissTaken said:
T-

She sounds way off base on many of her points.

Firstly, perhaps you do find yourself more likely to affect action when you have an S/O. I think that is a natural reaction in any relationship. As a Dom, your sub should fulfill you, make you whole. If she lends you reason to speak up, so be it. It certainly doesn't mean you are half a person or a lesser person without an S/O.

Secondly, the issue concerning your lacking the "strength " to be a sub...well, it takes strength to recognize your needs and find a manner in which they are met, Dom or sub.

Third: Doms true to themselves are not "control freaks." As Ebony pointed out, many subs hold positions of authority in their real time lives. As for me, I have done so and will do so again. I, too, am a "If you want it done right, do it yourself" type person and I am a sub, an intense and needy sub!

And no no no....I do not view Doms as having a flawed character or flawed anything else. That is just plain silly.

Miss T

I found your reply very apt!

Ebony

greetings and a question

First off let me say that like Tatewaki, I have a lot of interest in the bdsm lifestyle and no real experience, so what I have to say may be way off base, but here is my 2 cents worth anyway. I can't imagine being with a person, in any relationship and especially not in a D/s relationship who is not at least as strong as I am. Through reading many of the posts here, the other websites listed on various posts and with the help of a wonderful person who has given hours of his time to answer my questions and weather some intense outbursts on my part, I am discovering that being submissive is not being weak, quite the contrary, it takes an immense amount of strength to search inside yourself and discover who you are and what you need to be fulfilled. I do not see that this would be any different for a dominant than it is for a submissive. Am I wrong in thinking that just as a submissives gift to her/his dom/me is their submission the dominant takes what she offers but in turn gives her a gift just as precious? I have read this saying a few times and until today I did not get it, you can not give what you do not own. Isn't this true for the dom as well his/her sub? If so then neither one can be weak. I am sure if I am missing the point you all will feel free to tell me.
:)

Re: greetings and a question

"Am I wrong in thinking that just as a submissives gift to her/his dom/me is their submission the dominant takes what she offers but in turn gives her a gift just as precious? "

By Jove, you've got it!

"Isn't this true for the dom as well his/her sub? If so then neither one can be weak. I am sure if I am missing the point you all will feel free to tell me. "

I think you have it in a nutshell.

Ebony <who treasures her tavish more than gold or silver>

Thank you

nightwhitesatin said:
Through reading many of the posts here, the other websites listed on various posts and with the help of a wonderful person who has given hours of his time to answer my questions and weather some intense outbursts on my part, :)

Thank you <blush>

and yes U got it

Tatewaki--

First, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I think that you introduce many interesting questions, and you've done it in such a candid and honest way. I am deeply impressed by your openness.

Second, who you are in your daily life doesn't necessarily connect in any clear way with who you are sexually. As others have noted, powerful people submit and the usually timid Dominate all the time. We are all more complex, more nuanced and shifting, than your previous partner seems to suggest.

Personally, I agree with Ebony and others: the person with whom you had this conversation seems to hold herself above others--and particularly above Dominants. To me, this is indicative of weakness on her part, not yours. Yes, submission requires a tremendous amount of self-knowledge and the strength to trust, to accept, to bend onesself to the needs and demands of a Dom/me. However, Dominance requires its own kind of strength--to lead, to direct, to find one's satisfaction in the exploration of another's desires, limits, and fears.

If all submissives considered Dominants weaker than themselves, I can't imagine how they would ever be able to forge the trust and connection necessary to make those relationships work. While power is exchanged, both participants are equal partners; if they aren't, it isn't a real relationship, IMO.

RisiaSkye said:

If all submissives considered Dominants weaker than themselves, I can't imagine how they would ever be able to forge the trust and connection necessary to make those relationships work. While power is exchanged, both participants are equal partners; if they aren't, it isn't a real relationship, IMO.

A great summary of all that had gone before. Thanks for taking the time to write. It also supports the way I feel on the subject. I guess that being new to all of this, I was prone to take the things she said as truth. It didn't at all jibe with the things I thought I knew about BDSM, and felt I should check with others in the know. Unfortunately, I don't know any people who know! That is, not before coming here.

Thanks for providing a place where the confused can seek clarity.

Regards,

-T

Back