Edge Play And Endorphins.

G

In the last couple of weeks i was telling my Dom how when we scene, it becomes such a "high" for me. As it does for Him as well. i read a couple articles on the subject recently and i can not seem to locate them. i did not bookmark them :( If anyone knows where i can locate articles on the subject could you please post them here. It was a very interesting read and i wanted to share it with others.

Also, if anyone gets this same "high" i would love to hear about it. What it is that makes you get it and how it feels to you.

Thank You

Endorphins are the body's natural pain killer,and they can definately make you feel high. Some people call this floating or flying. Personally, I can gte that kind of state from a prolonged flogging or spanking. It reachs a point where I really don't feel the whacks at all, I am just in a zone. To me it feels sort of like floating in warm water.
Different people will have different responses, with varying length and intensity. My former submissive would stay in that state for hours. She would be like someone who was stoned out of her mind. Of course, someone in that condition is very vulnerable, and that must be kept in mind.

I get that high quite often, not everytime I play, but nearly. Needle play is a Concorde to subspace for me. But a long flogging is an easier way to ease into that feeling.

What does it feel like? For me it's a profound feeling of peacefulness and well-being.

Would love to hear more on the subject.

Thank Y/you for the posts. i hope to see others post about the topic and i hope someone out there has some links related to it.

i know that the high of the sceneing, especially the edgeplay, is so intense for me. It is almost like i need that fix, like an addiction at times.

As far as registering, i just may do that pierced_boy. Thanks for the welcome. Now i just need to come up with a name. :)

I don't have a lot of experience in this area, but I believe I have reached that space a few times. Here is how I described it in my story "Over His Knees, Down On MIne' (Hope nobody minds the plug;) )

"My head was spinning, and my sobs grew deeper and deeper, until suddenly, unexpectedly, a wave of warmth came over me, and with it, a strange feeling of disorientation. The spanking faded until it seemed like a caressing, and I had the impression that I was floating in space. I felt a great shudder engulf me, then a feeling of greater calm, and realized I had just had an intense orgasm. "

Hello. As James said, the feeling is sometimes called "flying". another term you'll see out there in the literature is "blissed out". Historically, this space has been called "sub space". I'm not sure what it's called for Dom's or if thier headspace is analogous to what subs experience as a result of the endorphine rush.

The only thing sure in this is that the How To of reaching such a place is different for us all.

For me, again like James, prolonged spanking will often do it, especially if accompanied by words of power and strength, words that pick my awareness up bodily and move it deeper and deeper into the play flowing between us.

I've gone there repeatedly as a result of the needle play that MS and i used to do. That was why and how i could do that sort of thing over and over with him - and love it, crave it, need it.

For me, it's often like another existence. I am aware of what's happening to my body, but remotely, as if i exist outside myself. Around me is quiet and incredible lightness of being. I'm infused with a bubbling gladness and well-being that i've never experienced in any other way. The most intense and powerful orgasm i've ever had, for an example, is no match at all for this headspace.

It's incredibly addictive.
Once you've been there, you want to go again.
:rose:

CarolineOh said:
I don't have a lot of experience in this area, but I believe I have reached that space a few times. Here is how I described it in my story "Over His Knees, Down On MIne' (Hope nobody minds the plug;) )

"My head was spinning, and my sobs grew deeper and deeper, until suddenly, unexpectedly, a wave of warmth came over me, and with it, a strange feeling of disorientation. The spanking faded until it seemed like a caressing, and I had the impression that I was floating in space. I felt a great shudder engulf me, then a feeling of greater calm, and realized I had just had an intense orgasm. "

In my experiance that orgasm can not get any higher...or more extreme...i get so far out there that i dont want to come back. :) Sometimes when i do come back down, i crash hard and it drains me.

Very Addictive

For me, it's often like another existence. I am aware of what's happening to my body, but remotely, as if i exist outside myself. Around me is quiet and incredible lightness of being. I'm infused with a bubbling gladness and well-being that i've never experienced in any other way. The most intense and powerful orgasm i've ever had, for an example, is no match at all for this headspace.

It's incredibly addictive.
Once you've been there, you want to go again.
:rose: [/B][/QUOTE]

That is how i feel as well. i feel as though i am not in touch with myself at all. i know that it is not very long after i come back down that i feel i need it again. my Dom takes me to places that i would never thought i could go, and also i felt that kind of "high" would be impossible to obtain from a good spanking, the crop or the mind games. i know i am going to bring up a very touchy subject here, but the breath control is a big high for me. If someone were to just tell me about this kind of play and this kind of high without first hand experiance i would think they were crazy. i just have no words to say how incredible it is, how i crave, desire and need it. It keeps me going.

Needle play, now that really scares me. :(

Here are just two lines i used in one of my stories to try to describe it a little bit: The pain flowed out of my body like the spiraling of water down a bathtub drain. A bubbling, joyful eroticism replaced it. The story is Pierced, btw, one all about piercing-play.

Breath play.
Done it.
Sometimes done quite a lot of it.
Be careful, but you already know that.
And read this: http://www.queernet.org/LeatherOnline/LO_002_BC.html

Hey - get a nick, Unreg!
It's easy and free.

Last edited:
That is scary, pierced_boy. The first time I felt that euphoria I was hooked. And when I'm in a scene I never want to stop, my Dom is always the one to tell me I've had enough. You've given me something to think about.

willfulbrat said:
That is scary, pierced_boy. The first time I felt that euphoria I was hooked. And when I'm in a scene I never want to stop, my Dom is always the one to tell me I've had enough. You've given me something to think about.

Don't think too hard!

I've read similar things in the past. That rush is the same high that professional athletes often get while competing, and people who do extreme sports and activities experience. It doesn't have to be brought on by pain; fear and exhilaration also cause the same endorphin rush. Skydivers and bungee jumpers get this feeling quite often.

This euphoric feeling is addictive the way a favourite food is addictive, but I don't think it is as damaging or as all-encompassing an addiction as heroin. Anything done to excess carries risk, but a body's natural release of endorphins cannot be compared to someone injecting purified, highly refined poison into their veins.

Besides the endorphin rush, I believe people are drawn to edge play because of the mental aspect; they are placing their very well being into the hands of someone they trust. I'm sure that is part of the thrill. There are many ways that one can bring hurt upon themselves that have nothing to do with BDSM! The pain would be the same, though.

I may be off base here, but I'd rather get my thrills from smacks than from Smack. Even better if lovingly delivered!

Just an opinion worth less than what you paid for it ...

-T

When I was so new to all of this, I had no idea what was happening... it just overtook me... and left me drooling... until you have been there, you cannot know the feelings... that's the upside...

but I was quickly to learn of the down side, when all those endorphins went away... the drop was uncomprehensible... so severe... it had nothing to do with aftercare... it was my reaction to what had gone before... some never experience this drop...

but for me... i pay... with every soaring out of this world high He gives me... there is rock bottom drop... crying at times, bottom falling out depression...

I would not give this up for anything...

Life is about balance. If you want the highs you have to accept there will be lows. The key is not to avoid the highs, but to be prepared to handle the lows.

Tatewaki said:

Don't think too hard!

I've read similar things in the past. That rush is the same high that professional athletes often get while competing, and people who do extreme sports and activities experience. It doesn't have to be brought on by pain; fear and exhilaration also cause the same endorphin rush. Skydivers and bungee jumpers get this feeling quite often.

This euphoric feeling is addictive the way a favourite food is addictive, but I don't think it is as damaging or as all-encompassing an addiction as heroin. Anything done to excess carries risk, but a body's natural release of endorphins cannot be compared to someone injecting purified, highly refined poison into their veins.

Besides the endorphin rush, I believe people are drawn to edge play because of the mental aspect; they are placing their very well being into the hands of someone they trust. I'm sure that is part of the thrill. There are many ways that one can bring hurt upon themselves that have nothing to do with BDSM! The pain would be the same, though.

I may be off base here, but I'd rather get my thrills from smacks than from Smack. Even better if lovingly delivered!

Just an opinion worth less than what you paid for it ...

-T

I found it quite valuable, actually. *s* Thank you.

I was reading the other day that there's a biochemical link between drug addiction, overeating, and edgy sex play. Apparently, because edgy sex games induce endorphin output, which stimulates the pleasure/pain nexus in the brain--the dopamine circuit, the pleasure response relies heavily on the condition of one's dopamine uptake in the brain. Those who are or have been addicted to drugs (like the obese) typically have slow dopamine uptake, meaning that larger doses of endorphins/adrenaline/seratonin/etc are needed to induce the pleasure response. Studies are ongoing to determine whether the children of addicts and overeaters face similar dopamine restrictions.

Does this mean that edgy play is bad for you? Well, no. In fact, even the purity-Nazis at CNN suggested that non-toxic endorphine stimulants like endurance sports and "extended or intense foreplay" (as they put it) can help to keep people with such biochemical limitations away from the damaging but common result--clinical depression.

Food for thought, in any case, isn't it?

Re: Food for thought

pierced_boy said:
There are those who are senior players at this sight who go much further than "extended foreplay" They are at risk!
Here? At Lit? Regulars at this forum?

Who?

I can't imagine who you're talking about, H. I know most of those who've been here awhile, i think, and among that group, i can't imagine who might be among those you deem unsafe players who are at risk.

On the contrary, i think we're all extremely conscious of the SSC motto and try our very best to uphold it in our sexual lives.

I think we all need to be wary of deciding for others what thier limits should be. I've done a *lot* of needle play, certainly a thing that doesn't produce wet pussies or stiff dicks in everyone. I've always been safe while doing it, though, and sane, and it's always been consensual.

Not for you?
Don't do it!
Just don't tell me i can't, please.

Breath play has come up recently.
I've done it.
Others have, too.
It's definitely edgy and not safe, IMHO.
Will i do it again? Maybe. The right partner has a lot to do with my choices.

If i wanted "safe", i'd be all tucked into a nice safe nilla relationship.

I don't think any of us should do anything that we don't want to do withour partners, and those things that don't feel "safe" to you may be among the things on which you want to pass.

I also don't think we can or should stop someone else from doing it long as they have all the info abour how dangerous it is. It's kinda like cigarette smoking. The warning is right there on the label. Should we make it illegal, too?

Adults get to choose to do dangerous stuff. If we want to go bungee jumping or hitchiking or do some knife play or wear 6" platform shoes while we try to walk down stairs: it's our right. We're adults. We get to choose to do that kinda stuff.

We get to have dessert first, too - and sometimes that really does spoil our appetites and we don't want our dinner, just like mom said it would.

We all get choose where our "too dangerous for me!" line resides and it'll probably be at least a little different for us all.

Tolerance is important for those of us who do out-of-the-mainstream kinds of kinky sexual things. So is open-mindedness. So is respect for the choices that other people make that are different than our own.

So is the ability to lecture endlessly at length...
Oh wait.
That's specific to me.
Sorry.
;)

And H?
This is *not* aimed specifically at you.
It's aimed at a mindset, not a person, any person.
I often use one person's (or another's, or another's, or another's) psot as a springboard for my views on a subject. I don't ever mean to put anyone on line for thier thoughts - we welcome all such postings here. I get inspired by people's words, though, and begin their posting, then move into my own thoughts on (sometimes barely) related subjects.

Please do not think i'm poking at you.
I don't do that in public.
No one here does, H, not in a mean way.
:rose:

Last edited:
Back