the history of female dommes

petrel

Literotica Guru
HISTORY OF Feme Domination

13th century: Henri d'Andely writes "Le Lai d'Aristote" about greek
philosopher Aristoteles who is ridden like a pony by Mrs. Phyllis who
has a whip in her hand. The story inspires painters: Hans Baldung Grien "Phyllis Riding Aristotle (1513) and Bartholomaeus Spranger "The Woman and the Philosopher"

English poet Christopher Marlowe writes this epigramm:
"When Francus comes to solace with his whore, / He sends for rods and strips himself stark naked; / For his lust sleeps, and will not rise before / By whipping of the wench it be awaked. / I envy him not, but wish I had the power, / To make his wench but one half hour."

1676 In the theatre play "The Virtuoso", written by British dramatist Thomas Shadwell, old man Snarl wants to be whipped, which is done by a young prostitute. He likes it because it reminds him of his schooldays punishments.

1682 Premiere of theatre play "Venice Preserv'd" of British dramatist Thomas Otway. Drama contains a scene, where prostitute Aquilina fulfills the wish of Senator Antonio and spits on him, treats him like a dog, kicks and whips him.

1704 Edward Ward, author of "London Spy", describes a scene in a whorehouse. A sixty year old man asks for whipping equipment, because he wants to be whipped. This was the first time Ward heard of the flogging cullies, male lovers of passive flagellation.

1748 John Cleland "Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure"

1765 Famous French philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau writes his autobiography "Confessions", which is published in 1781. There he describes the excitement he feels by thinking of dominant women. Since he was a child and met his thirty-year-old governess, Mrs. Lambercier, he has this fascination for dominant women. Rousseau is ashamed ofthis obsession and hides it from the public.

1786 Painter James Gillray publishes a scene of flagellation: "Lady Termagant Flaybum going to give her stepson a taste of her dessert after dinner".

British author Algernon Charles Swinburne is born in London. He didn't hide that he was a masochist and wrote many poems about the joy of passive flagellation ("If you were queen of pleasure / And I were king of pain")

1869 Leopold von Sacher-Masoch writes the novel "Venus in Furs", which becomes a bestseller.

February 1882 Irish author James Augustine Aloysius Joyce is born in Dublin. There is a letter which Joyce wrote to his beloved Nora Barnacle. There he describes his passionate wish to get whipped by her.

1892 Polish Novelist, Painter and Kafka translater, Bruno Schulz is born in Drogobytsch, Galizien. Most of his poetic stories describe weak men and dominant women. His paintings in black and white show submissve men at the feet of dominant women. Bruno Schulz was murdered by the Nazis on 19th of November 1942.

1893 In "Zeitgeist", a part of newspaper "Berliner Tageblatt", is an article written by Otto Brandes with the headline "Die Auspeitscherin" (The Whipping Woman).

1893 Robinson, Julian: "Gynecocracy, a narrative of the adventures and psychological experiences of Julian Robinson (afterwards Viscount Ladywood). Under petticoat rule, written by himself.",

1913 Under the title "Die Weiberherrschaft" three books are published in Munich. These books contain descriptions of dominant women, collected by Eduard Fuchs. (Noyes, John K. "the mastery of submission",

1922 German artist Otto Dix paints "Sadisten gewidmet", which shows two dominatrixes in a dungeon.

1927 Artist Rudolf Schlichter paints aquarell "Domina mea". It shows a woman in boots in a victorious pose above a man who is on his knees.

1950s Eric Stanton begins his work as SM-cartoonist. He also publishes many paintings about dominant women.

1954 Performance-Artist Bob "Supermasochist" Flanagan is born in the USA.

1963 Klinger, Franz: "Des Mannes Hörigkeit. Eine sexualpsychologische
Studie für Ärzte, Juristen, Seelsorger, Erzieher und psychologisch
Interessierte", Albert Müller Verlag, Zürich / Stuttgart / Wien

1983 Robert van Ackeren realizes the movie "Woman in Flames" about a female student who begins a job as a professional mistress. The movie is a hit.

1985 book Sellers, Terence: "Der korrekte Sadismus. Die memoiren der Angel Stern", ikoo Verlag, Berlin

1986 Tomi Ungerer releases the book "Schutzengel der Hölle" with interviews and paintings, as a result of a two year long stay with professional mistresses in Hamburg, Germany. (

1986 Cleo Uebelmann directs the lesbian bondage-movie "Mano Destra".

1988 Uebelmann publishes the fotobook "The Dominas" with fotos of her film "Mano Destra" and of fotoseries "Museum of Modern Art".

1988 book Koschorke, Albrecht: "Leopold v. Sacher-Masoch. Inszenierung einer Perversion", Piper Verlag, München

1991 book Martin, Gigi "Die Herrin", ikoo Verlag, Pullenreuth

1994 Dutch filmmakers Maarje Seyferth und Victor Niewenhuijs realize a black-and-white-adaption of Sacher-Masoch's "Venus in Furs".

Graham Scott, Gini "Dominanz und Unterwerfung" (Erotic Power), Knaur Verlag

1996 Bob "Supermasochist" Flanagan dies at the age of 42 because of illness "zystic fibrosis".

1997 In czech village Cerna the "Other World Kingdom" (OWK,
www.owk.cz) opens it's gates. It becomes an important meeting place for the femdom-scene. The matriarch house publishes femdom movies, books and magazines.

June 1997 British movie "Preaching to the Perverted" is released in the US. The film shows a dominatrix that runs fetish parties in
London.

23. October to 1. November 1998 In Amsterdam for the first time Women At Leather Pride (WALP) meet with 85 participants.

Aril 1999 In Berlin for the first time the International Women's SM
Leather Conference took place with about 50 participants.

Autumn 1999 115 women meet at Women at Amsterdam Leather Pride (WALP)

1999 book Schneider, Sabrina (Pseudonym von Cagliostro) "Ausbildung
zur perfekten Domina - Ein Lehrbuch", Erotex Verlag

April 2000 At second "International Women's SM Leather Conference"
Play! Mate 2000 in Berlin 70 women meet.

Wow, you have done your homework. It really interested me that femme domination dates back so far. It also turned me on reading the synopsis of some of those books and paintings. I'll have to check them out!

rick

Just goes to show that...

the old adage is true:

"There is nothing new under the sun!"

Nice summary!

Ebony <looking around for one of her boys to flog!>

rickyc said:
Wow, you have done your homework. It really interested me that femme domination dates back so far. It also turned me on reading the synopsis of some of those books and paintings. I'll have to check them out!

rick

let us know what you think of the books/sites after you've checked them out

i looked at what I could of the Other World Kingdom site and liked what I saw. The idea of being dominated by a woman really turns me on. How wonderful it would be to be so powerless in the control of a sexy powerful woman!

Rick

You might also have mentioned the brilliant novel, "Nana", published in 1880 by Emile Zola, the master of scientific realism.

question

1986 Tomi Ungerer releases the book "Schutzengel der Hölle" with interviews and paintings, as a result of a two year long stay with professional mistresses in Hamburg, Germany. (
Do you know the name of the domina?

I only asked their was some big articel in tv in germany but it was more in the ninetys.. and I wonder if it was the same woman..
she was one of the oldest dominas in Hamburg maybe In germany to this time..

Jean Genet's "the balcony" might get a mention.

Wow.

So little production *by* women.

I personally would put in Artemesia Gentileschi's paintings of Judith beheading Holofernes.

It's important to attribute that time line, and give its url. It was a group project, I believe.

J.

Facinating

Could you email or IM me later? I'm an aspeiring professional historian, and I'm looking tino the history of both courtisans and kink, I'd love to get a detailed list of your sources and how you found them....

thanks
D

Back