Back to the ropes ... er... I mean ... roots ..

Hecate

Lady Hecate will do
Hello everyone,
the Mistress of Mystery is back - sort of, almost.

Wait - what do you mean"back" - you didn't even notice I was gone ... ???

Anyway - just in case you did notice, here a tiny info on what I have been up to:
I have moved to another corner of Germany and finally have settled pretty much into my new appartment. New job will be starting tomorrow, so I can't bore you with details about that yet (aren't you just lucky?) I still have a few boxes to unpack and a few organizational things to tackle, so I am not yet "fully" back, but the time of Lit abstinence is definitely approaching its end.
This means of course that I shall see what topics are ready to get an additional Hecate rant *S* and I can tell I will be busy for a while seeing how the discussionon this board has flourished.

To everyone I haven't had the pleasure yet of meeting: Nice to see you - and as most others I don't bite if not nicely asked for. ;)

Of course I didn 't just start a new thread to tell you that. The topic is

ROPE
During moving times it is basically unavoidable to go to the hardware and DIY-stores to get some stuff for your new home, right?
So of course poor little me too had to go through the torture of some trips to aforementioned etablissements - one one of which - god alone knows how - I ended up facing one of the most assorted rope and hooks sections I have seen in quite a while (either this is an El Dorado of a very hidden and secretive BDSM scene here or there must be some uses I have no clue about for that kind of stuff...).

Anyway - as you can already foresee the end of the story - I ended up with an assortment of brand new virginal ropes that are now awaiting their first victim ... er I mean ... test person ... er.. you know what I mean.

You see, I just couldn't resist ... it was that smooth white silky (ok polypropylene) 8 mm diamond braided stuff that was just calling out to me ... followed by some meters of its smaller 6mm diameter sibling ... and I swear to all gods I have no clue how that assortment of carabiners and panic snap hooks etc. got into my shopping cart ...

Now to the REAL point of that topic - if you all care to share ...

What rope is sitting in your toy box?
(and hom much money did you spend on rope so far .. na, don't anser this one, I was just seeing the cash receipt on the table for my shopping spree.... gulp)
Any length / type that is your fav.?
If you had to recommend a starter kit - what would you suggest?

I have the silken cords you use in upholstery and draperies. In black, and navy.

Looking at the white also, but since I don't actually do anything except look at it right now shall wait. Also have a few of the lovely tassels used in the same thing.

Oh and lots of velvet ribbon as that is what I make my chokers out of. I colelct it in various colors and widths. Not good for tying people up though! Will not and need to be cut off, also can bind and hurt. No, I did not do this to myself, it is from experience with the chokers and a link Wizard shared.

First of all Welcome Back, Hecate!!

It is wonderful to see you again...

About the rope... most of the time Himself just buys the rope at home depot... and one of the best gifts was when he arrived with this huge spool of that poly rope... which he later took back to do something special with... lol and i am still waiting. I bought some of the same rope but smaller to make hand wrist cuffs with and added those quick release clips...

Then the other day I was a K-Mart, which was closing and found this wonderful, colorful parachute rope... it was about $6.00 for 50 feet... which Himself assured me was a good price... i am not certain what we are going to do with it as yet... ah but Himself is the Master and so he gets to do the thinking... lol

Welcome back Hecate

For horizontal play and light cross play I've always preferred the soft tightness and flexibility of the propolyene ropes.

For suspension play and hard cross play I have to admit I've always preferre the feel and flexibility of the rappelling ropes. You can get them in all thicknesses, down to a mere 1/4 inch that will hold 100lbs per ft. *shiver* Or as thick as you choose. It comes in any color I want, so I can even match outfits if I want.
But that might just be the vain side coming out. *smiling*

Hecate! A warm warm welcome back to you, dear Lady. You've been missed.

Sadly, one of the casualties of MS and i, um, not being together anymore is that when he returned to me my toys (he'd been keeping them all, after all, if i wasn't playing with him, i wasn't playing), he somehow failed to include the rope and most of the hardware that went with it. We had some really good rope, too, from all cotton braided stuff that was soooo soft and comfy for things like, for instance, breast bondage, to wildly different colors and thicknesses of other rope.

However, it's time to move on. That rope is lost to me. I'll be reading this thread avidly to catch clues on what to begin to (re)purchase in terms of rope with which i can again round out my toybag.

Hecate? You're unpacked already? Oh dear. I've still got a million boxes sitting round my house and i've been here for three weeks. I'm either lazy or...Lady! You got a couple house slaves to do your unpacking, didn't you!
:D

Glad you are back with us Hecate, and thank you so much for inspiring me to go out and add to the limited stock of rope I have in my toy box.
At the moment it consists of 4 white soft cords, 2 longer harder black cords and 2 rough hessian ones which are fabulous for not-to-tight bondage and additional sensations on delicate areas!!

I also have a collection of silk scarves which are very good for 'light' bondage and they were the first things I ever used on anyone - less intmidating somehow to use a silk scarf than a rope for newbie BDSMers

Yep, that'd be me. Newbie and Low-Pain-Threshold Extraordinaire. o)

My uncle paints silk, so I have a lovely assortment of scarves. I think that silk cord is as rough as I'm going to go.

Hobby Lobby has a really pathetic selection of velvet, because I was looking to make some chokers as well, Merelan. Gonna have to do my homework on this one.

you

You were missed! Welcome back! Now would you please stick around???!!!

Welcome back, Hecate.

As for me, I have white nylon cord. It prevents abrasions.

Merelan? Would you like to borrow them?

:)

Yes, Hecate, we noticed your absence. ;)

Now as to your question.....

Hm.

Sorry, I'm a Northeastern American. mm means nothing to me, I can't feel metric. I know the terms, but they don't tell me how long or thick, or how much of something there is. A pint I know, especially if it's Guinness, but a litre has me quite thoroughly baffled.

That said, plain white soft nylon line, about 1/8" thick, purchased at a boating supply shop. Lots of tackle there, too, although I don't have much in the way of a toybox at the moment.

I plan on making a flogger from some of this stuff; anyone able to link me to a good crafts page to help with construction? :D

Hecate said:
Hello everyone,
the Mistress of Mystery is back - sort of, almost.

Wait - what do you mean"back" - you didn't even notice I was gone ... ???

Anyway - just in case you did notice, here a tiny info on what I have been up to:
I have moved to another corner of Germany and finally have settled pretty much into my new appartment. New job will be starting tomorrow, so I can't bore you with details about that yet (aren't you just lucky?) I still have a few boxes to unpack and a few organizational things to tackle, so I am not yet "fully" back, but the time of Lit abstinence is definitely approaching its end.
This means of course that I shall see what topics are ready to get an additional Hecate rant *S* and I can tell I will be busy for a while seeing how the discussionon this board has flourished.

To everyone I haven't had the pleasure yet of meeting: Nice to see you - and as most others I don't bite if not nicely asked for. ;)

Of course I didn 't just start a new thread to tell you that. The topic is

ROPE
During moving times it is basically unavoidable to go to the hardware and DIY-stores to get some stuff for your new home, right?
So of course poor little me too had to go through the torture of some trips to aforementioned etablissements - one one of which - god alone knows how - I ended up facing one of the most assorted rope and hooks sections I have seen in quite a while (either this is an El Dorado of a very hidden and secretive BDSM scene here or there must be some uses I have no clue about for that kind of stuff...).

Anyway - as you can already foresee the end of the story - I ended up with an assortment of brand new virginal ropes that are now awaiting their first victim ... er I mean ... test person ... er.. you know what I mean.

You see, I just couldn't resist ... it was that smooth white silky (ok polypropylene) 8 mm diamond braided stuff that was just calling out to me ... followed by some meters of its smaller 6mm diameter sibling ... and I swear to all gods I have no clue how that assortment of carabiners and panic snap hooks etc. got into my shopping cart ...

Now to the REAL point of that topic - if you all care to share ...

What rope is sitting in your toy box?
(and hom much money did you spend on rope so far .. na, don't anser this one, I was just seeing the cash receipt on the table for my shopping spree.... gulp)
Any length / type that is your fav.?
If you had to recommend a starter kit - what would you suggest?

I found this store near me that has overstock merchandise. The yahve lots and lots of the same kind of rope you mentioned. I have two packs of 25 ft. that have not been opened yet. As you say, theyare wating the right itme to use them!

Welcome, back, and may you enjoy your new surroundings!

Ebony

welcome back, Ms Hecate.
For rope that does not have to support any weight, try going to a fabric store and get the cotton batting that they use to make edges in pillows, draperies, etc. It is very soft, but still strong enough for good bondage.
Another rope tip: Buy different color ropes if you can, and cut them into coded lengths. Then when you go to use them you will know , for example, a red rope is 10 ft long, a blue rope 5 ft long, etc.

James Blandings, what a super idea! Besides having a handy way of instantly knowing which is which... think of the pretty patterns you can make.

Oooh. I love it!

Merelan said:
James Blandings, what a super idea! Besides having a handy way of instantly knowing which is which... think of the pretty patterns you can make.

Oooh. I love it!

Now am I the only one who has mental picutre of a dom/me standing back admiring the prety pictures they have made while their poor sub - imobilised - wonders if they are ever goning to get spanked? Or is this what happens only when you have a play-partner who is also a designer?

Welcome back, and hello, Hecate

petrel said:

Now am I the only one who has mental picutre of a dom/me standing back admiring the prety pictures they have made while their poor sub - imobilised - wonders if they are ever goning to get spanked? Or is this what happens only when you have a play-partner who is also a designer?

::Hand raised:: I've done it, petrel *g* it's fun, but only if the poor little one is patient *w* I've done the same with liquid latex, and paint, but won't go into that now.

Rope....rope rope rope.....I had to look at what I had, to remember it all!

10, 6' lengths of black cotton rope, 1" thick
10, 6' lengths of white cotton rope, 1/2" thick
4, 4' lengths of black and white cotton, 1/2" thick
4, 2' lengths of b&w cotton, 1/4" thick
(I have the same thicknesses, and amounts in poly)

6, 6' lengths of black silk cord, 1/2' thick
6, 5' lenths of black silk cording, 1/2 inch thick
6, 2' lengths of black silk, same thickness

As well as some silk scarves for light bondage.

For a starter kit, I'd go with:

4, 6' lengths of cotton(or poly) rope, 1/2" thick
4, 4' lengths of cotton (or poly), 1/2" thick
4, 4' lengths of cotton (or poly), 1" thick
4, 2' lengths of cotton (or poly), 1/2" thick
And a few panic-snaps for fastening, instead of knots, or bows, as these are far easier (when one panics) for the novice to remove if the sub/slave gets spooked, has a clostrophobic moment, or want the scene ended for any other reason (your mother-in-law showing up at the front door, for instance)

KW

(edited for spelling)

Last edited:
Yuck... thanks KestralWolfe. You had a good scene there, till the last line.

I have seen some things at the links Wizard shared. Cobwebs made of thin robes, wrapped around the bound one. Intricate bindings so beautiful they make you weep, for in the center is the bound one's eyes. Serene, at peace...

or pleading for release, and I don't mean from the ropes.

A dream... to be made into a work of art by Mistress... and left bound in such beautiful wrappings and used as the centerpiece at her party.

Blush...

All well and good, but let's hear it for our friend, the amazing Mr. Bungee and his amazing cords of renown! Soft, supple, strong and bouncy. Plus, with Mr. Bungee, one can suspend oneself while playing alone.

Greetings Hecate,

Welcome back! I look forward to reading your words. :rose:

I forgot...I also have some hemp rope.....all nice and scratchy for the tender parts. :D

KW

I read this with interest ... MAster and I have purchased some soft cotton rope off the net.

May I please ask a few (maybe silly) questions ...

when cutting the rope, do the ends need frapping?

what are panic snaps - and how do you attach them to the ropes?

I do apologise if I have missed a link that already explains all this.

Thanks in anticipation ...

willow :rose:

Welcome back, Hecate!

You have been missed. Good luck on your new job!

I just use good old braided polypropylene rope, size 7 (7/32"), that i get on the cheap at the discount store. That way when I throw it away, I do not feel guilty!

Ebony

Another timely thread. Had my first session with our friend the ropes tonight. Good ghastly god, I still don't think I'm entirely back to this planet right now. :)

We used whatever the drapery cords were made of. Due to my profession, I can't have highly visible marks, and we thought these were soft enough. Plus it was all we had at the moment. My boyfriend is going shopping tomorrow, and I'm sure He will pick out something suitable. I trust His judgement.

Bumping this tread up ...

because the rope should arrive soon.

Please could somebody either point me in the direction of a link on ropes (Not come across one on the monster thread yet - but am only on page 8) or tell me:

When you cut the rope to length, do you need to bind the ends to stop them fraying?

What are the panic snaps that have been mentioned -
where would I get some
how are they attached to the rope

I know these are possibly stupid questions to ask - but until now, I didn't need to know. Rope that I used for camping with my cub pack was ether frapped or (for the poly stuff) burnt to prevent fraying. Just wondered about the ends tho ... which could sometimes be a bit sharp when burnt.

Thanks
willow :rose:

Bumping this because it is good, and any excuse to see Hecate posts and those eyes is worth it.
Dolzz41.gif

Catalina
liefde12.gif

I enjoy playing with a type of rope called

"Hallow Nylon"

Its width appears to be 3/4" but narrows to .5" if you stretch it taunt. The center is not actually hallow but filled with soft fibers and the nylon is a small tubish mesh.

I enjoy coating my hands with massaging oils and then working with it. It becomes so soft and supple it really feels amazing.

I like playing with another type of rope though I don't know what its called. More like stiff cord really. Has a very nasty sting or bite to it.

Also enjoy this nice site for learning different types of knots.
http://www.troop7.org/Knots/

Last edited:
Back