Your choice of binding?

Ross

Virgin
Hello everyone! As you can see from the number of posts I've contributed here (I haven't been called a "virgin" in years!), I'm new. I hope you don't mind that I'd like to jump into the deep end with both feet -- I've been lurking for a couple of weeks to get the sense of the place, and you all seem to be a very understanding, friendly group. Thus my sudden spurt of courage :)

Here's my situation. My love and I have been dabbling in BDSM for a little while. Not long, though, and not in any serious way. We both enjoy the roleplaying, we've lurked on other BDSM boards in the past and pretty much understand each other's limits.

But we are still neophytes at this. I've kidded molly that we need to bring in an experienced Dom to give us a few training sessions, and she actually liked the idea! :) But that's for later. Right now I think we need to explore our new passtime a little more.

The question I have to break the ice involves your choice of bondage equipment. Some time ago, I purchased this nylon webbing thing with velcro fasteners that goes around her waist and secures her arms to her side. It's very effective in limiting her movement, but of course it doesn't allow for any flexibility at all. We tried the handcuff thing, and while that has its advantages I'm deathly afraid of losing the key.

Which brings me to ropes. This may be the only sexual preference that can involve cruising hardware stores :) I've been thinking about the right kind of rope that would work in restraining molly -- whether it was to the headboard of the bed or just tying her wrists together, perhaps binding her breasts in the process. I've looked at clothesline rope, hemp (might be too rough), twine, satin curtain-draws and other material. What we really need is satin hemp :)

Since our experience on this wouldn't fill a fortune cookie, I'd like to hear some other opinions from those who know. What works best for you, and why? Do you keep a selection on hand for different moods? Do you prefer plain ol' rope to specially designed bondage devices?

Thanks in advance for your patience and input!

Ross

Nylon rope makes for less abrasion.

My personal preference is the chord you can purchase in the home decor section of the fabric store.

When I want to feel feminine, the tassles are a nice touch as well.

*smiles warmly*

Ah, Rope Bondage! One of my favorite things!

I've got a couple of miles of soft nylon cord, purchased at a boating supply store. It's about 1/8"in diameter. Yery utilitarian, but non-abrasive. It does leave marks, and it's a little more intimidating than, say, scarves.

As far as ropework goes, you're limited only by your imagination and your partner's flexibility as to positions to bind her in. Just be careful! Some of what I'm about to impart is common sense, and stuff you've likely read all over the place, but I would feel remiss in not addressing it here.

When using rope, make sure it's not too tight. make sure you can slide a finger between the ropes and her skin. At wrists, ankles, knees, elbows and armpits are nerves, tendons and blood vessels, and they're all very close to the skin. don't compress them, and make sure she can feel in her extremities (fingers and toes, especially), that they're not darkening, and that she's not getting a "limb falling asleep" tingle. These are all signs that you're compressing something you shouldn't.

While I'm on nerve and tendon damage, you mentioned that you play with handcuffs? What kind? Do they have a pin-hole, or a sliding bar to double lock them (prevent them from getting tighter)? If it's a sliding bar, I'd consider splurging on the deluxe police issue ones with the pin-hole, and relegating the sliding bar model to a decorative role. The sliding bars can slip, and the hancuffs can tighten and crush the radial nerve (located near the base of the thumb), leaving her with permanent pain in her hands, sort of like Carpal Tunnel, only nastier. There are places on line where you can purchase good handcuffs, if you want them to be a part of your play.

I'd recomment "The Morrow Guide to Knots" as part of your rope bondage purchases, as well. The wealth of knots and ropework in that book (Also available in boating supply shops, camping and hiking shops, or bookstores, in the "Sailing" section) will give you plenty of ideas for restraining your sweetie.

Oh, and the neck? leave it alone. Period. (well, except for a collar :D) It's just too risky for words.

Like I said, mostly common sense, or things you can read anywhere, but I had to share 'em here.

Like William S. Preston, Esq. and Theodore Logan said, "Be excellent to each other."

Oops, nearly forgot.....

Scissors. Get youself a pair of paramedic style scissors (they're flat on one side, kinda funny-looking) for quick-release in case of emergencies (in-laws popping over unannounced, cramps, case of snot nose, that sort of thing). Rope is replaceable. Your partner isn't.

satin

One thing that I really enjoy used on me is satin scarves. They won't leave and rope burn marks and they can be tied just as tight if not tighter then rope. I also carry about 4 old neck ties in my toy bag. Those won't look out of place if you happen to miss picking one up. That helps when a lot of playing is done in a hotel. (hmmm...was it bad form to leave the broken toy in the garbage for housekeeping to find?)

Good luck on your exploration

"case of snot nose, that sort of thing). Rope is
replaceable. Your partner isn't."

Romantic isn't he?????

Just a quick note about metal handcuffs and marks:

I hate metal handcuffs because they always seem to leave marks - and THOSe kinda marks aren't really explainable as anything "acceptable" to coworkers and interested relatives. I've had policemen as partners who proclaimed i'd just never had them put on properly - and i was *still* marked. (To be fair, i mark easily...)

In any case, when playing with tight things around the wrists and ankles, if you put something soft on first (a washcloth bound round with a strip of tape, maybe) and then put the cuffs on - or the rope - the chance of leaving marks is way, way decreased.

In the end, though, you'll need to do what the rest of us do and go buy a really good set of leather cuff - cuffs that'll adjust and can be locked on and have rolled edges and will not, no matter how hard you pull, leave marks.

Come back and ask when you're ready to go buy them. We'll tell you how to tell the good ones from the bad ones.
:cool:

Merelan said:
"case of snot nose, that sort of thing). Rope is
replaceable. Your partner isn't."

Romantic isn't he?????

Was that sarcasm? I think that was sarcasm.

I've recently bought some rather fetching nylon, velcro fastening padded wrist and leg straps too :)

I'll have to experiment with them before I go with the ropes. I got bought a pair of handcuffs for my birthday one year and they seem a bit uncomfortable to me - plus I remembered a comment in the monster thread about how nylon straps were maybe a better thing to start with.

Now I need a good sub to test them out on :p

Oh my... I just love this thread... We spent part of the afternoon at home depot... Himself and I...

He bought me 100 feet of 3/8 inch red, white and blue nylon rope earlier this week... yummy... And today we bought another 100 feet of purple nylon rope.

We have been experimenting with mummification but using rope. What an experience that is... :D

:rose:

I am anti-handcuff, because I don't believe in using anything that cant be removed easily in an emergency.
Here's a tip that maybe Ive posted before.If you use bungee cords to attach cuffs or other bindings to your bedpost, st Andrews or whatever, the sub will find at first that they can stretch them and move around a bit, but as the scene continues and they tire, they will be able to stretch them less and less, and this can create the illusion that their bondage is getting tighter and tighter.

cellis said:
Oh my... I just love this thread... We spent part of the afternoon at home depot... Himself and I...

He bought me 100 feet of 3/8 inch red, white and blue nylon rope earlier this week... yummy... And today we bought another 100 feet of purple nylon rope.

We have been experimenting with mummification but using rope. What an experience that is... :D

I have a good friend who is an expert at making rope corsets and other sorts of full body rope-wrapping. It's a lot of fun, and aesthetically very appealling, I bet you'll have lots of fun with it.

Himself is very good with ropes and is becoming very proficient in the Japanese form of rope tying.

We have 1/4 inch twisted white nylon rope for the breast bondage and for making the Japanese type of rope body harness. I recommend this type of rope for the breast and upper body. It is esthetically pleasing and less abrasive to tender areas.

silk stockings

I prefer my sweet Kitten's silk stockings .... always taking the time to seduce and tantalize before I bind her tightly. And taking her shopping for more is always a pleasure!

Fabric stores have the best choices, cords, long strips of leather or suade.

This, I will try the bungi cord, sounds fun and interesting ... I like when she struggles.

Wow

What a great bunch of responses! I read them all and appreciate everyone's input! This only confirms my early suspicion that this is a great board with a great bunch of folks :)

Some follow-on questions and comments:

- The handcuffs we tried were fur-covered. But as Spectre noted, they're not the best for bondage. Frankly I'm not enamored with cuffs beyond the image thing -- maybe if I knew a real police officer who could show me how to cuff my molly to the bed :)

- Collars: Required equipment. We have several, but our favorite is a thick leather one with a large ringlet at the throat for attaching leashes. We use the collar as a signal to "let the games begin!". As long as the collar is on, she's not permitted to refuse my commands (not without consequences, anyway).

- Home Depot. Yummy :)

- Nylon cord. I keep hearing 3/8 mentioned. Obviously, if the cord is too thick you can't tie knots very well. And if it's too thin it will cut into her skin. So, does 3/8 seem to be the concensus?

- Spectre mentioned leaving enough room under the knots for a finger. I assume then that we're talking a sheepshank-type knot with lots of windings? Otherwise the binding will come loose. And as Exquisite Paine noted, a struggling sub is part of the fun.

- As a former Eagle Scout, I am woefully rusty on knot tying. Besides, the Scouts never taught me how to bind her wrists to her ankles :)

- Bunjee cords. Great idea. Especially with an iron bed frame that has lots of attachment points.

- Ever hear of "Sport Sheets"? I think Good Vibrations was selling them for awhile. They're normal sheets with bondage loops at the four corners. Interesting idea, but I'm not sure how they work.

- Satin scarves. Been there, they work to a point but you just lose that dangerous feel, know what I mean? Ropes are so much more forceful :)

- "Morrow Guide to Knots". Check, and thanks for the ref. I'll head to Amazon in a second.

Any other recommendations on literature guides to bondage and spanking? I saw "The Erotic Art of Spanking" which was mostly just a graphical story than an instruction book. It'd make for an interesting coffee table book when those vanilla friends drop by :)

An aside on leaving marks: I always know when my sub had a good time. She goes to the mirror and inspects the red handprints on her bare bottom. :) I've probably left more marks with beard rash than bindings, though. Caution is our watchword, to the point that we've not had to use our safe word even once. Is that bad?

Ross

I guess it depends on how thick your fingers are. Mine are downright huge, so when I was in a relationship, I used my pinky. Still a thick digit, but there wasn't enough "wriggle room" to squeeze out of it. We were both squirmers and strugglers. Bondage is more fun when you can thrash around and struggle and still get nowhere with it. I like James' bungee cord suggestion. :D A lot.

Simple reef or square knots, properly placed, are about all you need, but the Morrow Guide is filled with all kinds of useful knots and ropework. Nice if you camp or own a boat.

Wizard,
Thanks so much for the links. I did find them helpful. The last link you posted didn't seem to work for me though but I appreaciate your sharing.

my play partner and i prefer ropes but for certain instances prefer velcro cuffs that have a sort of neoprene, wet suit material, inside..jay wiesman ( hope I spelled it right) has an excellent book entitled "Erotic Bondage Handbook" that I would recommened to anyone interested in rope bondage. better than any general knot book as he discusses how to apply a basic handfull of knots to do the "job".. You don't ned to know a bunch of fancy knots when a couple basic ones do quite nicely...btw WE prefer the neoprene cuffs when her hands are bound above her head so she can let them hang for a while...,and yes the "EMT" style scissors as we call them here are an absolute must for emergencies...
enjoy and welcome to the darkside as she says

oops! I did not spell it right it is Wiseman and his book SM 101 is also excellent for explorers...

jay wiesman ( hope I spelled it right) has an excellent book entitled "Erotic Bondage Handbook" that I would recommened to anyone interested in rope bondage. better than any general knot book as he discusses how to apply a basic handfull of knots to do the "job"..
posted by Glassman69us

I second the reccomendation for Jay Wiseman's "Erotic Bondage handbook".
Beyond covering knots and positioning, it covers the best kinds of rope to use, caring for your ropes and safety. A definite must have for anyone interested in rope bondage.

WildRose40DDD said:
posted by Glassman69us

I second the reccomendation for Jay Wiseman's "Erotic Bondage handbook".
Beyond covering knots and positioning, it covers the best kinds of rope to use, caring for your ropes and safety. A definite must have for anyone interested in rope bondage.

Another recommendation for the book. It's a part of my own library.

Back