Spreader Bars

KillerMuffin

Seraphically Disinclined
What is the purpose of a spreader bar, besides the obvious? I know it spreads legs and arms and is nice for hanging plants, but why the bar? What's the purpose mentally, physically for both the Dom/me and the sub/bie?

Besides the obvious, I'd say it's essential in certain types of play. It's used as a restraint. There's the element of control. The Dom/me may use the bar for punishment. It can even be a bit humiliating. :eek: Not to mention the torture a sub can experience having her/his legs spread for hours. heh.

KillerMuffin said:
What is the purpose of a spreader bar, besides the obvious? I know it spreads legs and arms and is nice for hanging plants, but why the bar? What's the purpose mentally, physically for both the Dom/me and the sub/bie?

Plants are not the only thing you can hang, spreader bars are often used in suspension bondage.
They come in handy in all kinds of bondage, like cym described in another thread, you can run them through or under chairs to tie someone to, or use them in lieu of bedposts to tie up a reclining sub (an advantage there is that if you bind their legs to a spreder bar, you can hold up both legs at one time with one hand, laving the other hand to do other things).
Also, if the sub is large, and has trouble putting their hands together behind their backs,short spreader bars can be used like spacers to bind the hands together.
Really, there are lots of ways they can be used.
I think the mental purpose is that they really create a feeling of helplessness.

From my perspective, the answer to the question seems obvious, at least from a male perspective viewing a female in such a position. It opens her most intimate parts up, exposing her completely and making her completely vulnerable and at the mercy of another. Because it exposes her completely, it can be very humiliating, as well as extremely erotic.

I think the idea of vulnerability/exposure is a key element in something that we all long for, which is intimacy. (The other part of the intimacy equation is safety/trust/acceptance). I think that's why so many of us find BDSM or its various elements erotic: because it accentuates these elements of vulnerability and trust.

Of course, I'm also just a horny man who loves seeing a woman sexually exposed too.

Versatility. With 4 restraints, a handful of snap connectors, and two spreader bars, and a play collar, the possibilities are limited only by the imagination.

From a sub perspective their is something almost comforting in being restrained with a spreader bar...

Also,

It can serve as an alternative to a stock. Not everyone can afford to buy or even make a suitable bondage item like a stock. A spreader bar can act in the same manner.

Ebony

Idle threat alert

If you don't put that cute AV back, you are gonna find out what spreader bars are for. And paddles. So there. Right Spectre?

::ducking::

KillerMuffin said:

Muff, a spreader bar is a handy, functional, inexpensive, easy-to-store, easy-to-make, all-purpose BDSM toy. I think it's probably nearly as basic an item in a toybag as is a flogger and some restraints.

One can be restrained in a wide variety of positions and to an incredibly diverse array of non-kinky things by using a spreader bar and some restraints (cuffs and locks, or rope, or whatever). The use of that piece of equipment broadens the possibilities enormously.

Spreader bars are just basic pieces of BDSM equipment, Muff.
That's all.

Mentally and physically, it gives the dominant partner more control over the submissive partner. That increase in control affects her headspace and the all-important energy flow between them. They bond more deeply, perhaps, as he assumes more responsibility for the play between them - because she cannot, she is bound to a spreader bar and unable, more unable, to affect the touches that occur between them.

(Disclaimer: With regard to the submissive "her" above, it could and is often a "his", of course, just as the dominant is often a "she" instead of a "he".)

Re: Re: Spreader Bars

cymbidia said:

(Disclaimer: With regard to the submissive "her" above, it could and is often a "his", of course, just as the dominant is often a "she" instead of a "he".)

HEHEHE!!! Oh cym...

EB

Re: Re: Spreader Bars

cym, spreader bars are fairly common standard equipment on 4wd pickup trucks, although they aren't so cheap furnished as factory equipment (they can cost hundreds of dollars). They are often referred to as "roll bars" so as not to offend those with more vanilla sensibilities.

cymbidia said:
Muff, a spreader bar is a handy, functional, inexpensive, easy-to-store, easy-to-make, all-purpose BDSM toy. I think it's probably nearly as basic an item in a toybag as is a flogger and some restraints.

Back