Safe, Sane & Consensual: Words to Live By

RisiaSkye

Artistic
One of the questions I am most commonly asked about BDSM, both here and in RL, is how one differentiates between Domination using extreme sensation and abusive, hurtful relationshiops.

One of the few things I've consistently found agreement on within the BDSM community, here and elsewhere, is the primary need to adhere to the SSC motto. So, let's take a look at this a little more closely. What does Safe, Sane & Consensual really mean?

Safe: A Dominant of any variety has a principal and unwavering ethical and emotional duty to their sub, bottom, slave (etc.) to keep them safe. This means, no matter how intense or edgy the play, that the Dominant must be in control of themself and the scene, able to protect the sub from real harm and damaging emotional turmoil. This means not physically harming the sub in a lasting way, it means knowing how to use any toys that enter a scene (particularly with potentially dangerous toys like TENS units), it means respecting hard limits, and it means always having one eye on the safety and emotional security of the bottom/sub. A Dominant who fails to do this fails both the sub, and themself.

Safety also requries submissives to protect themselves, particularly early in a relationship. Safe-calls, safe-words, discussions of limits, contracts, agreements, and even references from other submissives work toward this end. Honesty also goes a long way toward safety. If a submissive has health issues or limits which may affect play, it is their duty to be honest about them. If a sub has a negative, frightening, or damaging experience (like sub-drop), this should also be communicated to the Dominant in the interest of safety.

Sane: A BDSM relationship is a relationship first. This means that all play should respect the boundaries of personal respect and individual needs, shouldn't require a person to lose their sense of self, distance themselves from the rest of their life, surrender things they want to keep, or adopt an entirely new persona.

That's not to suggest that there are hard and fast limits as to what can constitute play, or how far it can go. It does mean, however, that consistent, rational focus, and clear self-awareness are a principle part of playing in safe and satisfying ways. Drug use, sleep deprivation, violence, public exposure, and other kinds of edgy, even dangerous activities play a part in many (if not most) relationships, BDSM or otherwise. There's a big difference between drinking a bottle of champagne and going on a five day coke binge, however; at the point that these things begin to compromise good judgement and the safety of the players, they cease to be "sane."

This sexuality is a part of people's lives, to differing degrees, but should always be recognized as a part of their lives and personalities. This requires "sanity" on the point of the observer as well as the participants. Further, all BDSM activities should be entirely one's own choice. This brings us to the next point.

Consensual: All BDSM is chosen by both partners. Any interaction, sexual or otherwise, which exploits one of the participants or uses them against their will is abuse, not BDSM. It's important to realize that while you may not like or enjoy the sexual behaviors favored by some within this lifestyle, no matter how the behavior looks from the outside it is a freely chosen consensual behavior enacted between two adults. As such, it deserves respect and tolerance.

Further, submissives do not cease to retain their ability to choose when entering into any BDSM relationship with a Dominant. Even in collared, long-term RL relationships, perhaps the most "binding" committment between two players, the submissive is always a person with rights who chooses the Dominant just as much as the Dom/me chooses the sub. Hard limits exist for a reason--as a marker of the submissive's consent and its limits. Failure to respect those limits compromises not only the safety of the sub, but the foundational trust necessary to the relationship as a whole. The minute it fails to be consensual, it becomes abuse; when one player no longer wants to play, if it continues, it becomes rape.

Violent, passionate, aggressively heated sex is not the same thing as abuse specifically because both parties choose it, want it, desire it deeply. If they did not, they wouldn't be there. If that's not the case in your relationship or one you witness, it is not BDSM. It is abuse, and should be treated accordingly.

Please also see Hecate's thread on "breaking submissives" for an elaboration of the difference between Domination and abusive D/s relations.

Excellant thread. How does something this good not have any replies to it for a year?

It was a closed thread linked to through the sticky at the top of the page.

With Risia's permission, I unlocked the thread as there are a multitude of different opinions concerning SSC with our current crop of posters and thought it might lead to some rousing discussion.

:)

Great guidelines of practice and common sense. I also appreciate the allowance for diverse individual life/play styles within RisiaSkye's outline of SSC. Thanks for calling it to attention again.

SSC

the term SSC is VERY subjective...it is not some clear, distinct, universal guideline that all can agree with...nothing about this lifestyle is "safe", there are risks to all we do, and heck, that's part of the thrill for many. "sane" is about as subjective as it gets...i doubt many in the vanilla world consider those who live a bdsm or D/s lifestyle 24/7 to be "sane". as for "consentual", when speaking of serious D/s relationships, particular Master/slave unions, "consent" can be quite a blurry issue. so, for these reasons, my Master and i don't use the terms SSC...we just live in a way that is right for us.

Great post, ownedsubgal!

Exactly, what I was hoping would come of opening the topic for discussion.

Some don't use SSC as the gage for their practice, some do.

I have many thoughts on the topic, but will wait for more interaction before sharing. ;)

I do use SSC as a means by which to initiate novices as it gives those who are searching for their way, something by which to find guidance.

There is wisdom in Risia's post that needs to be shared with all, especially those who are quesitoning their proclivities and wonder how to explore their kinks.

However, SSC is not a concrete rule of thumb. In translation, it means many different things to many people.

Re: SSC

ownedsubgal said:
the term SSC is VERY subjective...it is not some clear, distinct, universal guideline that all can agree with...nothing about this lifestyle is "safe", there are risks to all we do, and heck, that's part of the thrill for many........

Thanks for being honest about the risk and the reality of danger. One has to wonder the reasons behind the need for such a thrill.

Boredom? It's a first level emotion. There is always something else behind boredom.
Inability to experience pleasure otherwise?

Hmmmm

ownedsubgal, I agree that the terms are subjective. But not to the point where they are unintelligble. I don't think they are a law we all must live by, but I think they are a useful point of departure. I think even people who reject the terms still practise them in some form, they simply acknowledge the subjectivity.

Safe: I am not going to send you to the hospital or the pysche ward, at least that's not an acceptable result in my mind

Sane: I don't talk to my radiator. Saddam Hussein does not live in my bathtub. Calico cats are *not* messengers from Satan (oh...wait...)

Consensual:
I didn't pluck you off the street, chain you in my basement and beat you with an electrical cord.

I hope most of us can agree on this level.

Re: Re: SSC

I'm a little divided on the whole SSC thing. It's a good place to start when you're new to the lifestyle, with a new partner or trying to define the difference between BDSM and abuse to those who just don't understand some of the choices we make. But just between us kinky folk... how much of what we do is really SSC?

Safe - As with any other contact sport, there are a number of measures you can take to minimize the risk. There's tons of information, workshops and demos available on techniques, health issues, physical concerns and such. Most of us are smart enough to take advantage of this wealth of info and also smart enough to play within our partners limits. But does that really make it safe? Not really. The only "safe" thing in life would be to sit around in a plastic bubble all day, being careful to keep away from sharp objects. Hell, life is unsafe. How many of us have been injured in a car accident or had an accident while playing a sport? Yes, BDSM can be dangerous. So can driving, taking a walk around the block, cooking and most other daily activities.

Sane - Hmmmm... just how sane is it to stand in front of a potentially deadly weapon and say, "more please, Sir"? Lol.

Consensual - How do you determine consent when a sub is lost in space and begging for something they may not be ready for or have previously expressed as some kind of limit? How often have you been able to think or speak enough to utter your safeword when you're that spaced? Again, I think most of us are smart enough to choose to play with people who we know to be reputable and honorable regarding limits and the safety, but I've also seen some subs put themselves in some potentialy volitile situations because they wanted to play and didn't care who they played with. Or what about the slave who is so deeply bonded to their Master that there is almost no command they could refuse if it might mean their release to do otherwise? And is it still consent when you choose to give up your right to consent?

Re: Re: SSC

lancemanyon said:
Thanks for being honest about the risk and the reality of danger. One has to wonder the reasons behind the need for such a thrill.

Probably for the same reasons people do things like bungee jumping, sky diving, motor cross racing, or any other extreme sport.

I wonder... do you also troll on the bungee jumping boards, hoping to convince them their need for adrenalin stems from some sort of child hood trauma?

Aren't you bored with this? I know I am.

Re: Re: Re: SSC

Red Menace said:
Probably for the same reasons people do things like bungee jumping, sky diving, motor cross racing, or any other extreme sport.

Hmmmm. Never thought of sex as a sport. Maybe that's my problem.

I wonder... do you also troll on the bungee jumping boards, hoping to convince them their need for adrenalin stems from some sort of child hood trauma?

So, because I take a position that doesn't agree with yours I am trolling? Sounds like an easy cop-out to me.[/quote]

Aren't you bored with this? I know I am.

I don't think you're bored at all. I think you're mad.

Trying to find love through pain is like beating your head against a brick wall and expecting to get smarter

The above sig line explains it all. You obviously understand nothing about that which you criticize. I am hoping that along with me, everyone else will give you no time and no explainations. It would be a waste and would fall on deaf ears.

You are getting your rocks off by coming in here and trying to rankle people. It might work on some, but most of us are smarter than that.

Re: Re: Re: Re: SSC

Originally posted by lancemanyon
Hmmmm. Never thought of sex as a sport. Maybe that's my problem.

It's not your only problem.

So, because I take a position that doesn't agree with yours I am trolling? Sounds like an easy cop-out to me.

Trolling is generally considered to be posts that demonstrate an opposition to the nature of the forum. You do not wish to understand our choices. You do not wish to discus various views, experiences or interpretations of BDSM. You are trolling.

I don't think you're bored at all. I think you're mad.

Don't flatter yourself. To be mad at you, I'd have to care.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SSC

Red Menace said:
It's not your only problem.

Trolling is generally considered to be posts that demonstrate an opposition to the nature of the forum. You do not wish to understand our choices. You do not wish to discus various views, experiences or interpretations of BDSM. You are trolling.

Don't flatter yourself. To be mad at you, I'd have to care.

Well said, Red Menace.

A Desert Rose said:
Trying to find love through pain is like beating your head against a brick wall and expecting to get smarter

The above sig line explains it all. You obviously understand nothing about that which you criticize. I am hoping that along with me, everyone else will give you no time and no explainations. It would be a waste and would fall on deaf ears.

You are getting your rocks off by coming in here and trying to rankle people. It might work on some, but most of us are smarter than that.

Hiya, ADR. Good reply.

Too bad

that vanilla lifestyle folks do not have a safe, sane, and consentual philosophy.

Oh I forgot, they do have one. "Ownership has its privileges."

I bet there are lots of men and women in prison for killing and or abusing their so called loved ones. How many abusive men have issued the statement "I own you bitch" as he beat the shit out of his partner, and then forced her to have sex afterwards.

All in the name of love. I bet on her wedding day she did not sign own for a life time of being a punching bag.

Netzach said:
ownedsubgal, I agree that the terms are subjective. But not to the point where they are unintelligble. I don't think they are a law we all must live by, but I think they are a useful point of departure. I think even people who reject the terms still practise them in some form, they simply acknowledge the subjectivity.

Safe: I am not going to send you to the hospital or the pysche ward, at least that's not an acceptable result in my mind

Sane: I don't talk to my radiator. Saddam Hussein does not live in my bathtub. Calico cats are *not* messengers from Satan (oh...wait...)

Consensual:
I didn't pluck you off the street, chain you in my basement and beat you with an electrical cord.

I hope most of us can agree on this level.

well, following these definitions...my Master and i do not live by these ways...my Master may very well give me an injury that would require medical attention...now if he can help it, he won't send me to the psych ward, but that's because our relationship is based on a deep love...however it's within his rights as Master to "send me" wherever he wants to send me, to change his mind about anything at anytime.

and yep i wasn't plucked off the streets (not by him anyway)...i consented to be my Master's slave. and that was absolutely the last time my consent mattered about anything.

Red Menace posed a good question...is it still consent when you have given up your right to consent?...i would say, that in such a case, consent is irrelevant. the final choice has been made.

and btw...i DO talk to my radiator darnit...'bout politics, mostly.

I believe that consenting to give up your right to consent is a consensual practice. IE off the top of my head: When talking to the police you have a right to an attorney, it's your choice to use it or not, but it's still a right you must be given at that moment in time.

In truth, the times I find myself using SSC the most is when talking to 'nillas or the curious or as shorthand for a general concept with those familiar (Mistress and I never talk about "SSC") - it's good common sense to be aware of these general ideas (rights, if you will) before you get involved in a relationship or interaction, period.

It's an attempt to separate and define "BDSM" from "Abuse", it's also a marketing tool for the general public, in making BDSM more palatable and understood. "Safe, Sane and Consensual" is a slogan to a certain extent, and it is subjective, but I don't find it threatening or a bad idea (for anyone, really) when drawn out in it's simplest, most inclusive terms of "consenting adults", and I don't take it as dogma I must live by word for word in my personal relationships. It's a concept, make it work for you, or don't.

Food for thought? Another POV - SSC

I don't mean risk-less, Red Menace. I do things that *could* result in M seeking medical attention, but it's a scenario I try to avoid for many reasons. Same re: needing psychological help. AS with purely vanilla relationships, these things CAN happen (you crash the car, you drift apart and become unhappy) But they are not *desired* results.

I prefer to talk to people I've never met online about politics. Sane, as opposed to you radiator lovin' freak people. Sheesh. :)

I think that if you consent upfront to not consent anymore, you are still consenting. You were not the prize of a random drawing nor were you kidnapped initially.

If I could feel right about the sweepstakes mode, I'd enter the next one though, see who I'd win. :) (again)

Netzach said:
I don't mean risk-less, Red Menace. I do things that *could* result in M seeking medical attention, but it's a scenario I try to avoid for many reasons. Same re: needing psychological help. AS with purely vanilla relationships, these things CAN happen (you crash the car, you drift apart and become unhappy) But they are not *desired* results.

I prefer to talk to people I've never met online about politics. Sane, as opposed to you radiator lovin' freak people. Sheesh. :)

I think that if you consent upfront to not consent anymore, you are still consenting. You were not the prize of a random drawing nor were you kidnapped initially.

If I could feel right about the sweepstakes mode, I'd enter the next one though, see who I'd win. :) (again)

lol, well i wish you luck. ;)

i just have a hard time applying SSC to this lifestyle, even in the broadest most general sense...and i especially can't apply it to the way my Master and i live and our beliefs. my Master's a careful man...he knows the potential consequences of anything he subjects me to...so if he did something that landed me in the hospital, that probably wouldn't be a total surprise to him. it isn't going against the limits he sets for himself to cause major physical damage to me. not "safe" by any means, but what works for us.

Lately there have been a couple of threads which seem at least at first sight not to follow the SSC principles. I think it might be a good idea to discuss SSC again or share new viewpoints to it.

Francisco.

i have a question, for those who believe in and practice what they consider to be SSC....why is there the belief today, in both the D/s and bdsm worlds...that you are either living SSC, or you are wrong/bad/abusive/not true to the lifestyle? why is SSC the only way?

I don't think SSC is the only right way to do things, because I'm not crazy about having my morality defined in acronyms. I think the poor gay boys who came up with the term are probably banging their heads against the wall every day now, every time people talk about this terminology which came to exist in the 80's as ancient wisdom of the proto BDSM old guard....woooo wooooo.....

(FWIW, I'm a huge advocate of learning and knowing Leather History, but a huge part of that is also determining history from mystique.)

I do think that if it's your body and your kink it's pretty much your province and it's ok to do what you want with them. Or what your designated authority figure wants to do with them.

Let's say you prefer your ass fucking dry and with a soda bottle. That's cool, but if I'm giving an assfucking 101 talk I may not discuss the dry reaming with soda bottle scenario, and I may bring up the negative potential in said situation because a lot of people are going to want to avoid the risks inherent in it altogether.

I don't think it's ok to villify people who want to take the risks, I do think it's ok to reiterate that there may be some serious risks and this is what they are.

As for consent, it's the thing that differentiates me from Pinochet, in my mind, at times. I like to keep that wall up. Consent can be one time and blanket, or it can be ongoing and revoked at any time, that's a stylistic detail if you ask me. There are millions of people in the world that don't get the benefit of consent at any point.

I don't mind SSC when it's not intoned and invoked with fanaticism.

Another aspect on the consent issue. Make sure your play is not done in a way that might offend others. Wether that be doing it in a public place or leaving the drapes open. Remember everything you do reflects on the BDSM community as a whole. If we offend non playes, it only gives them ammo to use against us.

Back