What's in it for the dom's ???

arcticfox

Experienced
please ignore this post - can't delete it

Hello everyone,
I've been enjoying dipping in and out of the BDSM threads for a while now, since I discovered the community side of lit...
I've never done any real BDSM play, though looking back on various experiences, with one particular guy, I can see elements of it there.
That's why I'm here really - this one guy. I met him last October and he's a lot older than me (50 to my 25) and he's quite dominating. I've always been very much of the thinking that whoever I sleep with must treat me gently and considerately, otherwise they don't deserve to have me. With him, this got challenged. And I resisted him a lot! But as time went by I've realised that he reaches inside of me to the extent that I'm willing to submit to him if that is what is necessary to keep him engaging with me. (Now, this is my understanding that this is the core of most/some dom/sub relationships - correct me if I'm wrong!)
When I started to have an inkling that he might be 'dominant', I started to read the BDSM stories in lit, and think about how I felt about it. Most of them are pretty cheesy but a few of them went into the psychological aspects in a more sensitive (and to my mind) realistic way, and were quite informative. I thought more about it, and began to develop concepts of what dominance and submission meant (before, like most people, I just thought in terms of pain, whips, chains etc.).
I brought up the subject with my exboyfriend (who is very very gentle and considerate), and we talked about whether I really liked submission or not, and what we thought about the whole thing. And this brings me to my point (see! I do have one even though obviously i AM just enjoying telling my story):

I was discussing with my ex (who has no experience of BDSM), what is behind the submissive urge? what is behind the dominant urge?
And I decided that, while I am not masochistic in the slightest, and get pretty pissed off if someone hurts me, I don't mind being restrained, or controlled, and that *just in the particular case of this guy* it kind of excited me that he was dominating. It made me feel the strength of his desire for me, and I felt he was kind of wonderful so I wanted him to desire me really strongly and I wanted to please him.

And I also discussed the element of my submission that is kind of inside out - I submit because it gives me power - I think I've 'played' submissive with some guys before cos it made them so excited and thereby gave me power over them. This is not the same as it is with my older guy - there, the submission is 'real' and not a game (or at least, it could be starting to be real, though it certainly wasn't until we built a relationship to the point that he got under my skin). This raises one question - is this the way it is for other 'subs' - and is it common that one feels submissive towards one particular person only, and not submissive in general (as I feel)????

The other question was to do with the discussion of what is behind the dominant urge. At the time, I remember commenting to my ex that perhaps guys fear the power that women have over them (in commanding their desire, and the ability to withhold the satisfaction of that desire), and one way of dealing with this fear of women, and *particularly* fear of losing one's self control (and thereby, dignity) in the sexual act, is to control and denigrate the woman, thereby taking away her power, and retaining one’s own. This was an opinion I formed BEFORE exposure to any BDSM literature or chat, and now I am curious to find out what you guys think... Particularly any dom/mes: how do you understand your urges? Please help me to understand the other side of this new way of relating from HIS point of view. (Don’t be angry with me for perhaps being completely wrong in what I used to think!!) I used to find it really incomprehensible why anyone would want to hurt or control someone they loved and cared for, and while this anxiety got pushed aside as my feelings for the guy (let’s call him Mr. J) grew, I guess it is still there.

Just as an endnote:
the guy in question and I are no longer able to see eachother at the moment, mainly because he is not well, and doesn't really have the strength for a relationship/sex. This is a very sad for me, but we’re still very close, and I feel sure that our relationship is not over. I don't know whether he has ever done any BDSM but I plan to ask him next time I see him! I think, now that I am not so naive having frequented some of these BDSM threads, that he may well have done. I think he dropped a lot of hints that I didn't really know how to respond to at the time, I felt embarrassed or anxious about them, or laughed them off, or ignored them (though I did begin to stop protesting so much at his roughness). But he’s so incredible when he touches me that I was able to keep on seeing him despite this…and this is how my feelings changed, I guess.

He told me he wanted to rip my tights off and tie me up with them; that he visualised me tangled in a thorn bush, unable to move, and unable to stop him doing what he wanted to me; he used to hold me down quite hard when we had sex, and held me around my neck/throat (until I protested and told him not to!); he used to tread on my feet as well, and told me once when I said I was feeling guilty about something (and suggested myself that I should wear sack cloth and ashes, as a joke) that I should tie my breasts up with rope so that they got all squashed out of shape ( I was pretty shocked by that, and said it was worrying - looking back on it, he probably thought I was dropping hints myself.....and maybe I was!!!!but didnt' realise it/admit it to myself) and wear a buttplug. The last time we made love he held my hair and pushed his cock really hard into my mouth (which would usually (i.e. before him) earn a slap and my withdrawal from the situation, but….I loved it and the memory makes me wet) He also said he would cane me when I said I wanted to be caned ( and unfortunately for him, i meant stoned, as in intoxicated on cannabis!!! it's an english expression). He made some joke one time about domination (and I laughed in his face!).He also withdraws his attention from me and doesn't touch me sometimes, which makes me want to please him more than anything. He never gets angry or argues or shouts, just withdraws. Looking back on all that, it seems pretty obvious to me that he's quite dom. Whaddaya think??! I think I'd kinda like to be his pet, if he promised not to hurt/damage me. Fuckin hell, who'd have thought I'd EVER have said that???!!! Hmm this whole thing is rather titillating. Anyway, what I'd like to know from you guys is your answers to my questions, and then I'll keep on growing in the understanding that has taken seed and started to sprout. Looking forward to it....
much love,
arcticfox
:confused: :eek: :p :rolleyes: ;) :)

Last edited:
Well!

Well, you reminded me of a Chatty Cathy doll in your questions but the answers to your questions will vary with the different Masters and subs that all have for the most part different answers. What I like as a Master is the controlling as well as the giving. :D The thought of just giving out the discipline bores me. What I am interested in is what are your needs and are my desires linked with your needs abd cravings? If they are then that is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.;) I hope you find the answers that you seek!

I cannot give you anything but my opinion,but anyone that types for that long deserves an answer.

Doms get out of the relationship what they put in,just like any other couple.

As do the subs.

I dont think that doms should just punish,there has to be a reward for submitting to what the dom wants. If there isnt something to strive for,why submit in the first place?

Welcome and goodness,how you posted that without getting timed out is great. ;)

thank you!

Thanks, fallon, thanks lovetoread...
I appreciate your replies. I realised that it *was* a bit long...oops! I just got carried away - haven't talked to anyone really about this stuff. What the hell is a Chatty Cathy doll!? Sorry, I'm English...

"What I like as a Master is the controlling as well as the giving. "

Thanks for this, fallon, this is helpful. Of course, I hadn't even *thought * about the giving/reward side of things. :rolleyes: I can understand the pleasure to be had in that. And the guy I was banging on about did reward and give to me really a LOT. And I appreciated it all the more cos of the control aspect - I couldn't take it for granted which made it precious. So I see how the coinciding of desires brings the closeness and pleasure.

"I dont think that doms should just punish,there has to be a reward for submitting to what the dom wants. If there isnt something to strive for,why submit in the first place? "

Likewise, lovetoread (and btw, I *really*like your av - it is sooo erotic!) - thank you for this. I guess the thing is to understand the doms desire for control, and to allow them this because you love the way they make you feel. Seems obvious now!

Thank you both so much for your time and replies
much appreciation,
arcticfox

lovetoread said:
I dont think that doms should just punish; there has to be a reward for submitting to what the dom wants. If there isnt something to strive for, why submit in the first place?
Interesting thought on your part, but i can think of a few qualifiers. If both Dom and partner happen to have sadistic and masochistic streaks repectively, oh my, what a tangled web we weave. For the record, i distinguish between punishment and discipline.

Punishment seldom involves any physical act, other than removing my presence. Discipline, on the other hand, i compare to practice. Like any newly learned movement, the body gets better at it the more it does it. Just because i favor a submissive masochist in the Archer's Bow while enjoying myself doesn't mean she's punished. The strokes, yanks, presses, and pulls may feel punishing to her body, but practice makes perfect.

Get the point?

arcticfox, I'm curious - why would you want the post deleted? It seems perfectly reasonable to ask those questions.

ArcticFox,

Likewise, I am interested as to why you would wish to delete this post.

Obviously whatever reason is some sort of hot button for you, if you can figure out what it is that may help answer some of your questions.

Tangential thread hijack- Angelic Assassin, you're aware that is a porpoise aren't you, and if so I'm just curious why you keep it as a sig?

Last edited:
Dstorage said:
Tangential thread hijack- Angelic Assassin, you're aware that is a porpoise aren't you, and if so I'm just curious why you keep it as a sig?
psst - I think that's the point!

Give the lady a banana

Dstorage said:
Yes, i'm quite aware that's another mammal in the water. i keep it as a sig for several reasons:
  • both fuck whenever they damn well please,
  • both kill whenever they damn well please (to include within the species)
  • and because i love correcting the misbelief that i think the other mammal in the water might be a shark.
Welcome to the deep end. Enjoy your swim.

AngelicAssassin said:
Punishment seldom involves any physical act, other than removing my presence. Discipline, on the other hand, i compare to practice. Like any newly learned movement, the body gets better at it the more it does it. Just because i favor a submissive masochist in the Archer's Bow while enjoying myself doesn't mean she's punished. The strokes, yanks, presses, and pulls may feel punishing to her body, but practice makes perfect.

This is something I can use. Thank you.

AngelicAssassin said:
Yes, i'm quite aware that's another mammal in the water. i keep it as a sig for several reasons:
  • both fuck whenever they damn well please,
  • both kill whenever they damn well please (to include within the species)
  • and because i love correcting the misbelief that i think the other mammal in the water might be a shark.
Welcome to the deep end. Enjoy your swim.

Aww c'mon, you're pulling my leg here, right?

Are you telling me that the sex urge goes away when you drive a car? Because in all the driving I've done, over several different continents, I've NEVER, ever, seen a couple having sex by the side of the road. Since I don't believe driving reduces arousal, I'd say that people don't fuck whenever they damn well please. I don't know enough about porpoises to claim to know how they behave day to day.

Besides, if people were to fuck whenever they damn well pleased, I bet we'd have a lot fewer republicans and fundamentalists around.

Secondly, killing whenever you damn well please is not how a species progresses. As before, I can't claim to speak for other mammalians but not only is this a counterproductive behavior, it debases ones soul. Even if it were a true statement it is not something that deserves either respect or glorification. Nor fear. It is just something that always carries with it a sad sense of loss, no matter how you try to convince yourself that it does not.

And lastly, if you have your pic mainly because you love correcting other peoples misbeliefs, I suppose that we all have our own little insecurities and fears that we try to deal with however we can.

Dstorage said:

Are you telling me that the sex urge goes away when you drive a car? Because in all the driving I've done, over several different continents, I've NEVER, ever, seen a couple having sex by the side of the road. Since I don't believe driving reduces arousal, I'd say that people don't fuck whenever they damn well please. I don't know enough about porpoises to claim to know how they behave day to day.

Besides, if people were to fuck whenever they damn well pleased, I bet we'd have a lot fewer republicans and fundamentalists around.

Secondly, killing whenever you damn well please is not how a species progresses. As before, I can't claim to speak for other mammalians but not only is this a counterproductive behavior, it debases ones soul. Even if it were a true statement it is not something that deserves either respect or glorification. Nor fear. It is just something that always carries with it a sad sense of loss, no matter how you try to convince yourself that it does not.

And lastly, if you have your pic mainly because you love correcting other peoples misbeliefs, I suppose that we all have our own little insecurities and fears that we try to deal with however we can.

I see you like swimming in the deep end. I'll echo AA then, 'Enjoy your swim'

:)

Dstorage said:
Far be it from me to suggest you live a sheltered life, but i have driven into rest areas, both in the states and Europe, with people fucking on the side of the road, driven past erratic motorists getting head, and opened the door on co-workers banging away in seldom used storage closet. People fuck anywhere and anywhere on the scale from desperately aroused to bored out of their skull. Although i don't recommend the passenger riding with a nodding off driver pick this option for obvious safety reasons, i think said drowsy driver would be anything but if said passenger leaned over and went down on him. In the cetacean world, enough documentaion exists on the behavior of bored dolphins for you to do a search if so inclined.

i listen to and read the news daily. At least one sad story gets told of yet another senseless killing of a human being by another every day. That hasn't slowed the human population increase by any stretch of imagination. Likewise, documentation exists where dolphins and porpoises will harrass and sometimes kill other life in the ocean, to include their own for sheer perversity. No need for satisfaction of hunger exists, no territorial borders require defending. Yet, the species continues to thrive. i made no attempt to glorify killing. i obliquely stated that most species do so for a reason, whether for food, territory, defense etc. Attempting to discover the complex reasoning for such acts keeps subject matter expert psychologists well employed in many courts in the states, and provides National Geographic, or the Discovery channel something to air.

Lastly, you got the answer deserved. If you had a sincere, non-confrontational interest in why i chose the pic and asked me privately, i would have politely explained the reasoning in a non-confrontational manner. You chose otherwise, and got served. Deal with your own insecurities first, and make sure you have a better hand before coming to the table next time.

For the rest of you with any interest, i imagine the first thought that went through the surfer's mind had to be "oh shit." If said surfer didn't faint, haul ass for the shore, or, correctly recognized the animal in the water, a sense of relief followed the lack of an attack. The potential for an attack, however does exist based on the complexity of that cetacean mind. i'll leave the parallel to dealing in BDSM to your sordid imaginations. That, in my opinion, answers the original question posed by the thread.

AngelicAssassin said:
For the rest of you with any interest, i imagine the first thought that went through the surfer's mind had to be "oh shit." If said surfer didn't faint, haul ass for the shore, or, correctly recognized the animal in the water, a sense of relief followed the lack of an attack. The potential for an attack, however does exist based on the complexity of that cetacean mind. i'll leave the parallel to dealing in BDSM to your sordid imaginations. That, in my opinion, answers the original question posed by the thread.

Hey that's pretty sweet, I never would've seen that.

Back