A Girl in Need Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jake called the kids in to the kitchen and sat them down at the table and gave them all drinks and a snack. We then sat down with them and Jake said, "Tommy and Anne, I have some news for you. I asked Pat to marry me today, and she said yes."

Tommy smiled and asked, "Does that mean she will be our new Mom?"

"Yes, it does."

Tommy and Sean turned to each other and high fived. "We'll be brothers!" said Tommy.

Sean then asked me, "Will Jake be my Daddy?"

With tears in my eyes, I could only nod yes.

Anne just put her arms around me and whispered, "Mommy."

For a couple of minutes, all I could do was softly cry. I couldn't replace Jenny in their lives, but I would do my best to make sure that her children got all the loving I could give them.

We stayed for supper that night. May had cooked a big lasagna and, of course, when John got home we had to go through all the congratulations again. John, being the way he was, had to get all the kitchen cabinet information and colour charts out. May told him not to rush things; we would make our choices in the next couple of weeks. If Rogers Construction couldn't complete that house in a couple of weeks, she made it plain that she would have something to say about it.

Jake was going to take Tommy and Anne home that night. As he put it, it was time for them to sleep in their own beds for a change. Being a 'tough cop', he wouldn't admit that he missed them so much. We had a bubbly bunch of kids in the SUV as he took Sean and me home. Jake and I talked about what we had to do the next day; Jake just had a regular day shift, while I was going to be doing paperwork most of the day.

Jake asked us over for supper for the next night; actually, he asked for Sean to spend the whole day. "They are going to be together permanently in a few weeks, so why shouldn't he spend the day? Mom will be over about 8 in the morning. They will have a ball, I know. I'll get the slow cooker out, toss in a stew, and supper will be ready when we get home. I'll make the dumplings then, and we should have a nice quiet evening at home."

"Sounds good to me! I bet Aunt Chris comes over with me; she won't be left out of the babysitting. Sean isn't her grandson, but he might just as well be, the way she is with him."

Jake dropped us off, keeping our goodnight kiss rather chaste as the kids were with us, then Sean and I watched them drive off.

Sean asked, "Mommy, when will Jake be my Daddy and stay with us?"

"Soon, sweetie, just as soon as it can be."

- - - - - - - - - -

Jake

I was up at 6, got a stew going in the slow cooker and got the coffee perking for when Mom came over, then headed for the shower before the two terrors were up. Mom arrived and we had our morning coffee.

"Just think Mom, there won't be quite as much babysitting soon."

"Oh, I was hoping that there would be more," she said with a sly grin. "Have you set a date yet? Or haven't you got around to that yet?"

"No, not yet, we haven't even decided on a place yet."

"Well, you had better get moving on it or all the churches will be booked up."

Just then Pat arrived with Sean. I took him up to Tommy's room and told Tommy he had company for the day and that Grandma was in charge. He hopped out of bed, showed Sean the toy box and headed for the shower, trying to get there before his sister who was showing all the signs of becoming a long-shower-to-get-ready kind of girl. Note to self, make sure there are two bathrooms for the kids in the new house so there are fewer arguments. Pat and Mom were sitting over coffee when I got back down.

Mom looked up at me and said, "Pat and I were talking about your wedding. How does two months sound to you? That should give us lots of time."

I laughed, "Just tell me when and where, I'll be there with bells on."

Pat's mouthful of coffee spattered all over the place as she started to laugh out loud, way loud. Mom looked at us with a strange look, "What did I say?"

"Nothing, Mom, it's an in-joke. We've been talking about bells in regard to something else."

Then I changed the subject and we talked about where the wedding would be. Pat was adamant that it had to be at St Paul's, where her mother had married her Dad. I was happy with that. With that decided, Mom told us, "If it's ok with you two, I'll make some phone calls today, just you two go to work." Pat and I decided we were both happy with that, so off we went to get our essential work done.

The paperwork was at a low ebb for a change, so I got home nice and early. I even had time to go over to the new house where I got involved in taking measurements and working things out. When I got home, Mom and Chris were there, asking if I were sure that we didn't need their help making supper. I assured them that I could handle it, and I was just mixing up the dough for the dumplings when Pat arrived. Mom and Chris had already set the table for the whole gang. I had cooked the potatoes separately so there was plenty of room for extra veggies and dumplings in the pot. The kids all went out in the yard to play around in the yard by the rose garden while dinner finished cooking.

- - - - - - - - - -

Pat

When I got to Jake's place after work, it looked like a parking lot in front. Jake's SUV, his Mom's Caravan and Aunt Chrissie's car were all there. I walked around to the kitchen door, poked my head in and asked, "Any room for me in here?" Jake ran over, forgetting what he was doing and kissed me deeply, right in front of my Aunt and his Mom. The two of them had the nerve to applaud and exchange self satisfied grins. One would think that Jake and I had been set up, especially after Chris told me that if Jake hadn't invited me to the barbecue, she had been prepared to take Sean and me out there with her anyway. Somehow, I didn't really mind.

The smell in the kitchen was wonderful! It was just a beef stew, but whatever it was that he had done to it to make it smell so good, I definitely had to find out. He shrugged his shoulders when I asked, and said that all he had done was to put in beef stock rather than water, and he had flavoured it with thyme, pepper, coriander and a small amount of an 18 year old scotch.

Just then Sean came skidding into the kitchen and ran up to Jake's Mom. Opening his hand to show her some kind of beetle, he exclaimed in excitement, "Look, Grandma May, look what I found in the yard!" It really thrilled me to see him run to her in such excitement. He hadn't had a Grandma before, and obviously loved having one now. We called all the rest of the kids in, got their hands washed and sat them down at the table. Jake looked great in an apron, and he served us all his delicious stew, freshly baked bread, and a beautiful white wine for the adults. Desert was ice cream cones. Afterward, I just sat back in my chair and sighed in contentment.

"A girl could get really used to this, you know."

May cut in, "Don't get too used to it, dear, it doesn't happen very often that he is home early enough to cook."

I just sighed again, "Mom, if I can call you that, that's what slow cookers are for. I fully expect him to do his share of kitchen duty. By the way, I noticed Sean's calling you Grandma May. As you are likely to be the only Grandma he is likely to talk to directly, I think his calling you Grandma is just great."

"Thank you, Pat, for calling me Mom. I'm only too pleased to hear you say it. I'll try to be a good Mom, but if I do interfere every little once in a while, don't hesitate to put me in my place." We both warmly looked at each other through eyes brimming with tears. Then Jake had to spoil the mood.

"We had better get moving before we are washed away with tears. I did the cooking, so who is doing the clean up?"

Mom, Chris and I got up, cleared the dishes away and cleaned up while Jake went into the living room and got the fire going for us. We all found places to sit around the fire, and May spoke up, "Well, I hope we were not interfering old ladies, but Chris and I called in some favours. St Paul's Church is available for two hours at two o'clock on the 27th of August, which is seven weeks away. Does that suit the pair of you?"

Jake and I looked at each other, and Jake asked, "Are you sure you can't make it sooner?"

I laughed and told them that it was just fine with me, as it would give me time to get a dress. My wedding to Geoff had been a quiet ceremony in a courtroom by a justice of the peace. This time it was going to be done properly, and if we were going to get the house finished, we would need that extra time anyway. May told us that if we chose the colours, she would get the painters on the job right away so it would be started while we were away. I asked about caterers, and May said to leave that to her. She also volunteered that, if I was ok with it, the reception would be at her place on the lake. She had a caterer in mind, the one that catered for all the Company functions.

Sean started yawning, so Chris told us that she would take him home, bathe him and put him to bed. Off they went, and then May kissed and hugged Tommy and Anne before she went home, too.

Jake looked at me with a grin and said, "Well, aren't you going to help me with this pair?"

I gladly helped him with the children. Tommy kissed his Dad and me goodnight, and, after her bath, Anne got into her nightgown and snuggled in to me.

Jake remarked, "You have really made quite a conquest there, haven't you! Anne has really taken to you."

I replied, "Tommy will, too, it will just take him a little longer as he's in the big boy stage. He's starting to get independent, that's how come he has handled getting to know Sean so easily. Sean has become the younger brother that Tommy has never had."

We quietly sat in front of the fire on the sofa for a while, just enjoying the evening together. Jake slipped his arm around me and asked, "Can I convince you to sleep over?"

I kissed him before replying, "I'm very tempted, but sex would be kind of messy. Let's wait till Monday, even though I don't sense the presence of Jenny hanging over you as much as I did before."

Jake touched his lips to mine, "I'm sure that Jenny is well aware that her children have found a great mother to help them grow up." His kisses became more heated, and he whispered to me, "I can hardly wait until Monday. The time can't go quickly enough." He held me close and, sure enough, I felt more comfortable than ever. Our tongues seemed to have minds of their own, trying to lock together. Jake's hand brushed over my breasts lightly and I could feel my nipples stiffen up.

I was wearing a blouse over the top of a skirt, and I could feel Jake's hand sliding up under the blouse and over my bra. Then it circled on my nipple just playing havoc with my thoughts. I couldn't think straight. I put my hand on his thigh and slid it up towards his groin, feeling the hardness of his manhood grow under my hand. Then he murmured, "Pat, if we go much further, I don't know how I am going to stop. I sure don't want to, but let's just back off a little. I want you so much it hurts, but I also want it to be right."

We parted, sitting back. We agreed to meet the next day at the court building so that we could see what happened when Jacobs appeared, and we decided to spend the morning after at the lake house deciding on the paint colours, the kitchen cupboards and the appliances. We figured if we took the SUV to Toronto we would have lots of room for anything we wanted to pick up at the bigger stores.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bernard Jacobs

I was terrified for my life. In the jail, I was alone in a six by eight foot room with a hard bed, a toilet and that was it. Even in the segregation unit the noise never stopped. There was always light, and the smell never went away - a mixture of human body odours, disinfectant and the smell of cooked vegetables. At least nobody could get near me other than the guards. I don't know how, but the other prisoners knew who I was and what I was charged with. When I went to the yard for exercise, I had to go through one of the other cellblocks. I was guarded, but the other inmates would yell and swear at me as we walked by. Some even threw urine or feces at me as they threatened to get me. I don't know how I could ever stand to be back there. At least my lawyer had told me that I would likely make bail today. I hoped so. I really needed to find out what was happening. I hadn't heard from Laura or the girls, or even from the church elders. I just wanted to sleep, as I had hardly slept since I had been put in jail there. At least after they moved me here in the cells beneath the Court, it was a little more peaceful.

Eventually they took me out of the cell and put me in a room with a table and two chairs so that I could talk to my lawyer, Mr. Kelly. A guard let Mr. Kelly into the room and he sat down across from me, a tall, very slight man with a very confident air. He began speaking, "Well, Mr. Jacobs, I have had the opportunity to go over the Crown's evidence against you, and I have to warn you, it is an extremely strong case. Even if the sexual aspect is removed, the assaults on your wife and children over the years are extensive and would likely involve a prison sentence."

"But surely my wife and children will speak up for me? I only did what the church recommends as discipline. I am the pastor, I couldn't allow my family to have any black marks against us at all."

"As for your wife and children, don't have any expectations. One of the key pieces of evidence is a journal kept by your wife detailing each incident after it took place, and she is prepared to swear that it is a true account. Each of your daughters is ready to give evidence against you, detailing what you did to them. As far as your religious beliefs are concerned, what you believe regarding discipline is of no account in a court of law. The criminal laws of Canada take precedence over those beliefs. I will go over the evidence again, but at first glance, my advice to you is to plead guilty and see if we can come up with a reason to mitigate your sentence. However, that is for the future. Our first consideration is to get you released on bail. As you own your farm, it shouldn't be a problem to get you released on your own recognizance. I expect that the Crown will seek extensive conditions for your release that you will have to live with and obey, otherwise you will be rearrested, and it isn't likely that you would be released again. After the hearing and checking in with the police, I want you to come to my office and I will discuss the case with you then."

That is exactly what happened. I appeared, I wasn't asked how I was going to plead, and all I had to do was agree to stay more than 500 feet away from my wife and children, to not attempt to contact them by any means, and to report in person at eleven o'clock every morning to the police. I agreed to that, and I was given my property back after I walked to the police office. I talked to Corporal Rogers, who had me sign the reporting book and then gave me my keys. He told me that if I didn't report as directed, an officer would be sent to my home and I would be rearrested. When I asked how I was going to get back out to the farm, he gave me the card of a local taxi firm. I guess he didn't think too much of me and wasn't going to be a very sympathetic listener.

I walked back to Mr. Kelly's office, where he had me sit down while he sat on the other side of the desk. He looked at me and asked directly, "Well, Mr. Jacobs, do you have anything that we can use as a reasonable excuse in court?"

"This is her fault, if it hadn't been for all the airs and graces she got from that Forbes family when she was growing up she would know her place. All I need is a few moments alone with her and the girls, and all this will go away. All it is is ideas put into their heads by other people and not listening to the word of the lord."

"Mr. Jacobs, were you not listening in court? If you make any attempt to contact your wife or children, you will be rearrested and this time you won't be able to get out of prison until your trial and sentence are over. With your present beliefs, there is no way that I could use you as a witness; the prosecution would have you convicting yourself every time you opened your mouth. As a husband and father myself, I find your attitude towards your wife and children positively medieval; you treat them more like slaves than family. You treated your cattle better."

"I don't have to take this! You're my lawyer. I'm paying you to defend me."

"Mr. Jacobs, the only reason that I am defending you is that I believe that every person, no matter what they have done, is entitled to the best defence that they can get. What I will warn you of, however, is that if you fail to follow my recommendations I will not hesitate to ask the court to be relieved of my obligations in this case.

I looked at him open mouthed. I am a citizen, he can't talk to me like this!

Then he went on, "I want you to go home and think very seriously about what you have done and about what possible excuse you can find to justify it. Just maybe, If you plead guilty and spare your family the shame and stress of testifying, you might get a lighter sentence. With the strength of the case against you, I can assure you that you will most definitely receive a prison sentence. The only thing that can be varied is the length of the sentence. There is far more than sufficient evidence to convict you in the case of your wife alone. Her journal will ensure that you are convicted."

I left the lawyers office feeling absolutely defeated. How can things have gone this low? I went to the Red and White food store to pick up some food before I went home. I noticed that other shoppers were giving me a wide berth, moving away from me as much as they could. I picked up a few things before Bob Jones, the owner, came over to me.

"Bernard, please leave the store. My other customers are uncomfortable with you being here."

"How do I eat? Where do I shop?"

"Try going to another town. I don't think there will be too many here who will serve you."

I left in defeat, not believing what had happened, hailed a taxi and went out to the farm. I found some bacon and eggs and made myself some lunch, or I should say, burned, not made. I hadn't had to cook for myself for most of my life; Laura had handled that. Hopefully this nightmare will be over soon and she will be back at her duties as a wife. As I sat eating, I noticed an envelope on the table. It was addressed to me, in Laura's handwriting. I opened it and could not believe what I read.

"Bernard

"So many years ago, you sowed the seeds of your own destruction when you beat and raped a seventeen year old child bride so badly that she could not show her face in public for over three weeks. As you put it, you were beating Colin Forbes out of me. In reality you beat into me the utter lack of regard and the hatred I have had for you ever since. Every time you beat me, you increased that little by little.

I wished that I could leave you many times, but I couldn't as I had no means of survival for me or for the girls. I certainly wouldn't have got any help from my family, or from the church. Remember, when you started to molest Ginny I told you that if you hurt my children I would eventually ruin you. Well, this is that time. This is when the girls and I get to see you as hurt as much as you have hurt us.

First, I am divorcing you on the grounds of extreme cruelty. My lawyer has told me that I could get a divorce on the grounds of irreconcilable differences, but that would make you look too good. I want to make it public knowledge just what a monster you are, and I have documented each beating of me and the girls, and each time that I knew you were molesting them.