All Comments on 'A Love Letter for Jean Martel'

by LingerieRobot

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
ThisWillEndBadlyThisWillEndBadlyalmost 14 years ago
Heartbreaking

I usually go for the cheesy happy endings, but this was just too beautiful to stop reading. You created something that speaks to me. Definitely one of my favorites.

lanncerlannceralmost 14 years ago
Wonderful

I like the way it is written and how the story moves. A good drama.

nerknerkalmost 14 years ago
random impressions (suitably)

Above all, I love the love that you depict so effectively. The attention to detail and the nuance of these characters in the scenes you've described is absolutely top shelf.

You weave a marvelous spell with your writing. The bookstore, especially stood out, but also the cramped apartment and the pukey bathroom and the girl you love, etc. You break the spell again and again with asides and commentary, which I'm certain you are aware of and have made a choice to do. I just want to go on record as saying I would rather you did not do so in mid-scene. To me, the framing and especially the asides make this less a love letter to Jean, and more a love letter to self-aware narrators.

When you tell me that you are kissing "unironically" I don't believe you. Just for a moment, I think "if it isn't ironic, why is it still about irony?" Then the irony that your narrator is so ironic that you need to mention when he's not being ironic sinks in, and the wonder of the moment is lost. Ironically, we already knew they were being ironic when they started with teh romance novels, and I think the turn away from irony is better expressed by not mentioning it.

Aside from that one word, though, I think you've got something really good here.

YANKEE DANYANKEE DANover 13 years ago

I saw on the forums you wanted feedback on this one. Well I read it. And God this reminds me of how I feel about a girl I dated once. I suppose that means it's effective, but why did you have to depress me when I was looking for porn? 4 SERIOUS MAN WTF!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Rare and delicious

No, not like an awesome steak. I meant that it's a rare pleasure to be engaged by such a well-crafted and evocative story. I loved everything, but especially the voice of the narrator. Romantic, sexy, thoughtful, philosophical, kinda casual…you got it nailed. My kinda story. Adored it.

pseud277pseud277over 3 years ago

Just enough pathos to make me believe she existed. Still exists? Any way that may just be me remembering somebody else. Good story

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userLingerieRobot@LingerieRobot
The goal in my work (at least at this moment) is to envision some kind of utopian sexual space that could still possibly exist. And I want to make stories people can masturbate to, obviously. Hopefully I succeed at one of the two of those things! Latest update: My 50th stor...

story TAGS