A Mother Always Knows

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,932 Followers

~~~~~~

Rehearsals took place the following week at the new pavilion in the city park in my hometown. It was a brand new building and this was going to be not only its dedication, but was also the very first performance ever held there.

When I arrived in the park in Mom's car, which Dad had let me borrow, I noticed that there were more than several cars already there, making me look at my watch to make sure I wasn't late, but after reading the time I thought, if anything, I was early. However, the moment I walked through the back door of the pavilion and onto the stage, I heard a loud round of applause and as the lights came up; I found myself surrounded by people.

There were only a small few of them that I recognized, and for the first time in a long time; I felt very out of place. All at once and from out of nowhere, I heard a male voice announce, "Welcome home Mister Fallon!" I turned around to see the Mayor, David Wallace, standing there with his hand extended to toward me.

"It's just plain old Mike," I replied, shaking his hand, "And it's good to be back."

Mayor Wallace stood apart from everyone else, and in true politician's form, he grinned and said, "Tonight I thought we could have a meet and greet, and you can get to know everyone. I've taken the liberty of having Thompson's Barbecue cater tonight's event. So everyone feel free to help yourselves."

I know the Mayor meant well, but this was supposed to be a rehearsal and not a political rally. To be totally honest, it pissed me off a little bit, but I wanted to start off on a good beginning so; I leaned in so that only Mayor Wallace could hear and politely asked, "May I speak to you for a moment in private, please?"

"Why certainly, young Mike," he jovially replied, "Right this way," as he directed me from the stage, announcing, "We'll be right back everyone."

~~~~~~

Once we were out of hearing range, I stopped Mayor Wallace, and as nicely as I possibly could, said, "Look Sir, I understand that you mean well, but you need to understand that I've got a job to do here. And that means that from now on, I need to be aware of any parties that you want to throw before you do it. I hope I haven't offended you by saying this, sir."

"You're right, Mike, and I'm sorry," he smiled, patting me on the shoulder, "I promise not to let this happen again." Then he laughed and added, "Still though, there's free food and drinks so, you might as well take advantage of it while you can."

I gave him a sly grin, and motioning my head back to the stage, I laughed and said, "I'll race you to the bar."

Everyone I met that night each expressed their condolences for my the death of my mother, and by the end of the night, I felt warm and safe again in knowing that Mom was loved by so many people.

~~~~~~

Our rehearsal schedule was for every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights for the next six weeks. The first night had passed and it was now Tuesday night. I got to the pavilion early again and made sure that the scores for every section of the orchestra, as well as the choral music were all in their correct places.

Once everyone was assembled and ready for rehearsal, I noticed that we were missing our pianist. When I asked about it, someone told me that she had a sick child and couldn't attend. While I understand that children get sick, nothing pisses me off worse than musicians who miss practice. But still, I remembered that Mom had asked me to do this, and in doing so, I suddenly found a sense of tolerant patience in myself that wasn't there before.

"No problem," I smiled, "I'll sit in and play the piano parts until our pianist returns." With that said, we began to play. I had to stop several times and work with different sections, as well as the choir; but overall they didn't do too badly for their first night, and I drove home smiling happily for the first time in a very long while."

~~~~~~

My father woke me up bright and early the next morning at five o'clock. Wake up, Mikey," he grinned, "We're goin fishin this mornin, boy."

"Come on, Dad," I groaned, "It's still dark outside."

"I know," he excitedly replied, "The fish will be waking up for breakfast in a little while, and I've got about fifteen or twenty big fat night-crawlers waiting."

It was good to see Dad smiling so, after a good hearty laugh, I grinned and said, "Okay, Dad, give me a few minutes to get dressed."

~~~~~~

"So, tell me, son," Dad smiled, as we floated on the lake in his boat, "Have you got yourself a girlfriend out there in California?"

"No, Dad," I replied, trying my best not to get irritated with him, "I really don't have time for a girlfriend."

"Bullshit," Dad blatantly replied, "You need to get over that crap with your ex-wife."

"It's got nothing to do with her," I angrily snapped, and then hanging my head, "It's me, Dad."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't really know, "I somberly answered, "I feel like something is missing somewhere."

I think that Dad might've understood what I was feeling just then, because he simply smiled, and patting me on the shoulder, warmly replied, "You'll be alright, Mikey, just you wait and see."

~~~~~~

Chapter Two

That afternoon, after Dad and I had returned from the lake, Leah came outside while I was rinsing down Dad's boat with a water hose. "Hi Uncle Mike," she chirped, "Whatcha doin?"

"What does it look like, silly girl?"

"Duh, Uncle Mike," she giggled, "I mean, do you have any plans for later this afternoon?"

Not really," I replied, thinking nothing about it when I should have, "Why do you ask?"

Leah reached over and put her arm around my waist and cooed, "Well....I was wondering if you would take me to meet a couple of friends of mine."

"What have you got up your sleeve, my little munchkin?"

"Uncle Mike," she playfully gasped, "What makes you think I'm up to something?"

"Because I know you," I smiled, "And because you're just like your mother."

"That's not a bad thing, Uncle Mike."

"Well, that depends," I laughed.

"On what?" she asked.

"That depends on whose point of view you're looking at."

"Oh, you're so bad," she giggled, "Will you please take me to meet my friends anyway?"

I meant what I said when I told Leah that she was just like her mother, in that she knew that I could never say 'No' to her either so, I gave in, like I always do, and told her that we could leave after I'd had time to get cleaned up.

~~~~~~

"We're going to one of my friend's houses, Uncle Mike," smiled Leah, "I hope that that's okay with you."

Leah had always had me wrapped around her little finger ever since the day she was born, because of how much I love her. But as opposed to using my generosity with her for selfish means, she knew that I would do anything for her, and with that knowledge; she loved me unconditionally. Plus, I hadn't seen her since she was a little girl, and that was one of the reasons that I indulged her whim that night. Little did I realize what lay in wait for me upon our arrival at her friend's house?

~~~~~~

"Hi Leah," said a pretty young lady with blonde hair, as she ushered us through the front door, "I'm glad you two could come."

As soon as the door closed behind us Leah smiled at me, and introducing me to her friend, said, "Uncle Mike, I'd like you to meet my very best friend, Megan Taylor. Megs, this is my Uncle, Mister Michael Fallon."

"It's nice to meet you, Mister Fallon," Megan gushed, "We really like your music...a whole lot."

"Thank you," I humbly replied, "But Mister Fallon is my father. My name is Mike so; please feel free to use it."

"You're silly, Uncle Mike," giggled Leah, as she and Megan each took a hand and led me into the house, "Come on, I want you to meet the rest of my sorority sisters."

~~~~~~

What I didn't know was, this had been a set-up, as I came face-to-face with thirty, or so, young ladies, all of them being my niece's age. Still though, Leah hung onto me in order to, "Keep me from being pawed by a bunch of silly-ass bitches" as she later said. And not being surprised in the least, I soon found myself sitting behind a baby grand piano that Megan's parents had in their house.

I should've been a little upset for being unexpectedly put on the spot with no prior warning, but when I saw the proud grin on my only niece's face as I began to play and sing; I again indulged my Leah just as I had always done when she was a little girl. Don't get me wrong; I did remind myself to have a "heart-to-heart" talk with her on the way home.

I played some of the old songs that were among my first cuts as a songwriter. Then I played some of the newer stuff that was being played on the radio at the time. And after every song, I would hear female "Ooos" and "Aahs" emanating throughout the room after a slow ballad, and generous cheers of applause after the up-tempo songs.

I noticed that Leah was directing the rest of the girls on everything from, who would get me a drink, to who brought me something to eat.

~~~~~~

"So," I asked Leah, on the way back home that night, "Do you wanna tell me the reason for that little stunt you pulled this evening, my dear?"

"Why, Uncle Mike," she smirked, feigning innocence, "I haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about?"

"Yeah, uh-huh," I said, trying to be firm, yet failing miserably, "I'm talking about how you shanghaied me into playing for all your little friends."

"Oh you loved it, Uncle Mike," Leah giggled, "Besides, we all made sure that your drink was always full, and we brought you food and waited on you hand-and-foot so, hush." Then she did something she knew would make me crumble. She scooted over on the bench seat until she sat right next to me. And then laying her head on my shoulder, while wrapping both hands around my arm, she looked up at me with those big blue eyes of hers and sweetly cooed, "Aw, come on, Uncle Mikey. I'm so proud of you, and I haven't seen you in so long, and I've missed you so very much."

"Dammit, Leah," I laughed.

~~~~~~

The next day was Thursday and that meant I had Cantata rehearsals that night in the pavilion. As I thought of the previous practice, I began to remember having to stop several times throughout practice so as to help different sections learn their parts. Granted, it was only their first time playing together, but then again; they had to not only be able to play at the professional level, but they also had to meet a certain criteria during their auditions in order to be selected to play the music we were performing this year. And this made me wonder if perhaps something might be lacking somewhere. Little did I know that half of the problem would be solved when I got to rehearsals that night?

~~~~~~

I arrived thirty minutes ahead of everyone else, like I always tried to do for the purpose of making sure that everything was good to go. All of this only took me a few minutes when suddenly; I heard an unmistakable female voice from my past giggle, "Well, I'll be damned, the rumors are true. It's about time you came back home, Michael Fallon."

I turned around to find the only true friend I ever had growing up, besides my family members. Her name was Olivia Sanders, and while everyone else called her Libby, I was the only won whom she'd let call her Liv. She and I had been best friends all through school, ever since the first moment we met on our very first day of first grade.

"Hi Liv," I smiled; glad to see my oldest and dearest friend, "How have you been?"

"We haven't seen each other in over twelve years, and all I get is a 'Hi Liv'," she smiled, "Oh no, that won't do." And then before I had a chance to respond or react, she swiftly walked up to me and threw her arms tightly around my neck, pressing her body firmly against mine.

"It's good to see you Liv," I replied, after she released me from the hug, "It really is."

"I'm so sorry about your mother, Michael," Liv solemnly told me, "Ms. Amanda and I were very good friends and I'm really going to miss her."

"Thank you," I sadly replied, "Me, too."

Let me take a moment to describe Olivia Sanders. She stood at a height of five feet, nine inches, and since she grew up, was now built like a brick shit-house. From first glance I'd say she probably weighed no more than one-hundred and thirty to a hundred and thirty-five pounds, at most with a body to die for. She's a raven-haired beauty with cobalt blue eyes, the same eyes she'd used to see right through me when we were younger, and God she looked so beautiful to my sad eyes just then.

However, Liv was always an upbeat girl for as long as I can remember, and this time was no different. "So," she grinned, changing the subject, "I couldn't believe it when I heard that you were going to conduct the Cantata this year."

"I'm going to try to, that is," I laughed, "But I'm still waiting on our pianist to show up, if she even does at all."

"Oh really," she smirked, "And why isn't she here?"

"I don't know," I complained, "I was told that her kid was sick, or something. Why couldn't she have found a baby-sitter? I mean, it's not like we have a whole lot of time to rehearse here, dammit."

"In that case, your piano player is here," she firmly replied, placing her hands on her hips, "And I found a baby-sitter, thank you."

"What're you talking about," I asked, "You don't play piano; or at least I didn't think you did."

"I went to Berkeley, Michael," she giggled, "Or don't you remember?"

Then my memory kicked in, bringing back that day that seemed like so long ago now. She had called me a week before our high school graduation, excited because she had just received a letter in the mail, stating that she had been accepted to Berkeley School of Music.

I suddenly felt my face becoming hot, knowing that I was more-than-likely blushing a deep shade of crimson. "Aw shit, Liv," I sheepishly replied, "I'm sorry, I forgot."

"That's okay, Michael," she smiled, placing her palm to my cheek, "I hear that you've been a busy guy out in California."

"Oh you did," I smiled, enjoying the comfort I felt with her hand on my face, "And just who have you been talking to?"

But before she could answer me, other people began showing up for rehearsals, cutting our conversation short. "We'll pick up where we left off after practice, Michael," Liv smiled, turning away and walking to her place behind the piano. She was only wearing blue jeans and a tee shirt, but there was something about the sight of her ass tightly encased in denim that awoke a once dormant hunger within me, making me realize that I might just be in trouble, good trouble, but trouble none-the-less.

~~~~~~

Rehearsals seemed to flow smoothly that night. There was only one mishap with the cellists, but other than that it went great, leaving me very satisfied thus far. I never realized that Liv was such an accomplished pianist. Hell, I thought she played as good, if not better in some places than me, and when rehearsals were over with; I made a point of saying something to her about it, too.

"Why didn't you tell me that you played so well?" I asked grinning, "You play better than I do; that's for damn sure."

"Get real, Michael," Liv teased, "I know I can play, but nobody I know of can play or write like you do."

"I knew you could sing like an angel, but I never knew you played piano, Liv."

"I didn't," she giggled, "Or at least not until I got to college anyway."

"Do you have time for a cup of coffee?" I asked, "I'd really like to hear about this."

"You know it's real funny you should say that, Michael," she giggled, "I was going to ask you the same thing."

"Sure," I happily replied, "But what about your baby-sitter?"

"I don't think that will be a problem, Michael," she cooed, turning to walk away, "Follow me...handsome."

"No problem," I smiled, "But where are we going, and won't your husband be a little concerned?"

"Trust me, Michael," she replied, with a gentle nod of her beautiful head.

~~~~~~

I got into Mom's car and followed Liv out of town, not paying attention to where we were gong until her truck took the turn off to my boyhood home. When I turned off the car and got out, we were sitting in front of the house I lived in as a child.

"What's going on," I bewilderedly asked, "And what're we doing here?"

Before I could answer, the outside lights on the front of the house came on, momentarily blinding us. However, when I heard my sister, Andie's voice, say, "Well, hello there, you two," I felt like something wasn't quite right.

"Hey girl," giggled Liv, "How was Caitlyn tonight?"

"Are you kidding me?" smiled Andie, "That child is an angel and always has been."

"Thanks Andie," Liv giggled, as she took my arm, "Look who I found wandering around during rehearsals tonight."

"I see," Andie laughed, "I guess we'd better bring him inside. He looks a little lost to me."

~~~~~~

"Would someone like to tell me exactly what the hell is going on here?" I asked, once we were inside the house.

"Quit whining, Michael," Andie giggled, "Libby needed a baby-sitter so she could attend rehearsals tonight, and I volunteered."

About that time Leah came down the stairs followed by the most beautiful child that I had ever seen. She was an exact, and do I mean exact duplicate of Liv when she was that age. She walked up to Liv and said, Hi Mommy! Is that him?"

"Caitlyn, I'd like you to meet Mister Michael Fallon," smiled Liv, as she knelt down next to her daughter, "We've been friends ever since I was your age."

"Ooo, he is cute, just like you said Mommy," Caitlyn giggled.

"Caitlyn," Liv gasped, her face now turning bright red, "You shouldn't say such things, sweetheart."

"But it's true," Caitlyn matter-of-factly replied, "And you were the one who said it, not me."

By this time I was laughing hysterically, and looking up at me from the floor, Liv simply smiled and said, "Do you see what I have to put up with?"

"I'll tell you what," said Andie, scooping Caitlyn into her arms, "I'm going to take Caitlyn and Leah into town to get some ice cream. I just put on a fresh pot of coffee so, you two sit down and relax until we get back."

~~~~~~

"It's really good to see you, Michael," Liv said, as we sat down to coffee in the kitchen, "I've been keeping up with your career, and I wanted to tell you how proud of you that I am."

"Thanks Liv," I smiled, "I really appreciate it."

Suddenly she pulled an old photo from her wallet, one that had been taken with an instant camera. As she handed it to me, Olivia smiled and said, "Do you remember where this was taken?"

It was a picture that had been taken at my fourteenth birthday party, and Liv and I were sitting together at the picnic table in my parent's backyard. I even remembered that my sister, Andie, had taken it; because she surprised us when she'd snuck up behind us and shouted our names right before she snapped the shutter on the camera. Suddenly it dawned on me, that all during my childhood, and on into my teens, Liv had always been a part of my life, had always been there throughout my life.

"This was taken at my fourteenth birthday party," I smiled, "Andie snuck up on us and took it from behind."

That's right," Liv smiled, as I handed the picture back to her, "You haven't changed much you know." Then she handed me another photo. It was one of her and me when our family took her to the Six Flags over Texas amusement park near Dallas when we in the third grade. "I know you remember this one, Michael," she giggled.

"Caitlyn looks just like you when we were that age," I smiled, "I should know, I was there, remember?"

"Remember," she sweetly replied, "Michael I've never forgotten."

"So, what have you been doing since we saw each other?" I asked, uncomfortable at where the conversation was going.

MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,932 Followers
123456...8