All Comments on 'A New Beginning'

by virtualatheist

Sort by:
  • 24 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
a wish

I wish people could recover from the misuse she got from her husband. the

truth is that it takes years if not never to recover from the misuse. you always

remember and it does change you forever. nice tale in the way it ended but

sad that some people beat and misuse their wife or husband. life is to short

to live like that

chytownchytownover 9 years ago
Thanks ***

For the read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
great

the best ive ever read

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Writing Style

You've been reading too much Steinbeck & Stegner. Both require too much concentration in the beginning of their novels in order for me to become used to their style. You use (over use) of descriptive phrases, multiple adjectives in the same phrase made the beginning of your story difficult to read.

However, as I became more comfortable with your style, AND, the fact that you use proper English and know how to spell my interest grew. I thoroughly enjoyed the story.

Aside from my above comments the only criticism is that it would have taken a lot more time and effort for Lynne to recover. You had the perfect opportunity to stretch this out another 4 or 5 pages.

Keep up the good work.

Rod

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Why I gave this a one.

I quit towards the end of the first page. I didn't want to read as depressing a story as this was. Maybe it got better, I suspect it did. I didn't want to plow through the rest to find out. I like happy stories or at least ones you can tell are going to be happy. Too much violence makes me quit the story. Life is too short to put up with things that turn your stomach.

Always_A_DreamerAlways_A_Dreamerover 9 years ago
Hard read

This was a hard story to read with all the violence and pain inflicted on her by her husband, but she is a survivor. I too endured abuse, not physical, but mental and verbal. Sometimes those wounds are as hard to heal as physical. Thank you for the read and the happy ending. It reminds me that there are happy endings out there, you just have to look for them.

tabbymidnitetabbymidniteover 9 years ago
Very well done

Thank you I enjoyed it there was a lot of truth and reality to this tale. Did bring back memories, but here I am 25 years later and a survivor. I am glad I read all the pages. It is a new beginning

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Well-written, gripping read

I like happy endings, though Lynne suffered a lot to get there. And to "Anonymous that gave this story 1 star" - next time, skip ahead to the end; plus the title "A New Beginning" gave me enough of a hint that there would be much better times ahead. But yeah, the violence was a hard slog.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Heart-rending

truly remarkable tale.

in all honesty i could not put myself through the anguish of reading this story again.

5 stars , for the quality of the writing and the enthralling nature of this disturbing short story .

xxxhugsxxx

agree with the comments ,the story could have been longer & dealt more in depth on the recovery of Lynne, and part of her future relationship with Nathan , and the issues they will likely be dealing with for sometime to come .

for me that would have "rounded" the story a little more ,and hopefully helped to negate the distress & anguish the reader feels from the early part of the tale ..

really does need more to soothe the soul after the Horrors the story inflicts.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Truly remarkable

It all seemed so real. Just like I was there watching it all.

bruce22bruce22over 9 years ago
A Good Romance

The violence and suffering may turn some people off and the ending may not ring true to reality, but it was very interesting and moving. Could have gone in LW and got them in a tizzy!

rightbankrightbankover 9 years ago
I know it happens

I wish it didn't and wishing won't make it go away.

Before starting a new relationship, she needs counseling. In the relationship, they should both see a counselor. To heal all the emotional and psychological damage she has inside.

And, she needs to see a good, caring medical doctor about the physical harm that has been inflicted.

An observation on the story, three men, two are brothers, the third is a tall blond, are at the shelter to take her . . . ? Next we know she has a room in a house with one brother, Brian, and the tall blond named Nathan. Where does the other brother, Tommy, live? Why isn't she with him? What is the relationship between Nathan and Brian? It skips around loosely, as if we know who these people are and how they fit together. And, while it is nice for the couple to get together, it seems to happen really fast for a person with so much emotional trauma to deal with.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionover 9 years ago
Excellent ending

Well written and graphic account of marriages made in hell and heaven. I hope Jimmy's where he belongs, but 'absentia' will do.

overthehillmedicoverthehillmedicover 9 years ago
How true

Working as a medic in the largest ambulance service in Minnesota it is sad to say that many a shift I deal with patients that are abused or out right assaulted by men.

Everything from verbal abuse to woman that are murdered by their boyfriends, husbands or estranged husbands for all sorts of reasons. Like the story, many go back to the men that abuse them for what ever reason they come up with just to be assulted again, and again, and again. It gives a new meaning to "to death do us part". It is nice to see a story where an abused female may find pease and love in the future.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
This is so true and happens to often at least the author let her live.

To many women suffer ,fear, lack of job training, trapped, no family support, etc. yet in the Arab world beating a women for any reason is accepted practice.

demure101demure101over 9 years ago
Well-written story

about the worst things happening to anyone. Incredible what makes some people tick. Full marks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Well written story with regards to an ugly reality

While it was nice for fiction, people like Lynne don't get over those feelings that quickly. And sometimes not ever. And while you wrote a happy ending thousands of real women in this country live in fear of men (Not that they could be considered men in any real sense of the word) that abuse them.

kjohns2001kjohns2001over 9 years ago
Bastard had to go!

I know it's just a story but eastwards like that should suffer the agony of the damned before their richly deserved death.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
What???

Did no one else think it totally inappropriate that Nathan had sex with Lynne when she was that vulnerable? He was a very nice person, but what she really needed was not a good lay. Lynne needed professional help, and the shelter she went to would have definitely given her the names of capable counselors. After suffering that kind of trauma, no man or woman would be able to marry again so soon, and if a person did marry, the relationship would not be a healthy one. So I really hope that nobody sees this as some sort of fantasy to live out. If you want to be a hero to someone, see that they get help. Great sex can follow, but only after healing.

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketover 6 years ago
Hum

I kept thinking as I read this, why isn’t her family making the effort to get this abused lady to a Plastic Surgon and to a Psychologist.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Not Sure About This

They were all SO protective of her, yet they left her alone to be beaten yet again by Jim. Story was a little off.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
A Good Story

This wasn’t a “happy” story to read, in fact it was hard to get through at times. But it was very well written and the story seemed to be aimed at a happy ending. I’m glad it got there. I’ve heard it said many times here in Texas, that “There’s just some people that need killin’ “. I can’t help but believe that “Mr. Jimmy”, sub-human POS that he was, was one of “those” people.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
I Wasn't Sure How Far

I was going to be able to read after the first page, I was feeling the rage building that Nathan would end up taking out on Jimmy. I sensed you wouldn't build this up leaving all of that pain in the story without a release. As for Anon 9/24/19, I'm here in Texas too, so if you happen to run across a "Jimmy" let me know. I happen to be aware of places from here through Tennessee and on to Michigan we could tour with our Jimmy. Another phrase very popular here is "Don't Mess With Texas". I'm up for a challenge, it's not as much fun here in SA now that the last of the Big 3 just had his jersey retired. Signed: BTW

Grimjack01Grimjack01over 4 years ago
A needed endin

Very good ending, I enjoyed the brothers contribution to the story. In texas I like the saying "we got gater farms and some people just need a visit". Well done.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous