All Comments on 'A Passing Fancy'

by magmaman

Sort by:
  • 20 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
aw, shucks!

these dim bulbs were in college? at least it was junior college, but a stretch to believe even that, cute story tho

Risq_001Risq_001over 13 years ago
Please don't take this the wrong way, but........

While I think you did a good job of writing (nothing jumped out at me as "glaring" errors, no misspellings like I always do, easy to read, etc) you did one thing that I just can't really stand.

It's a personal pet peeve so I fully understand that its just my peeve and not others, but I just can't stand stories where the woman goes out, sleeps with the football team (or the equivalent of it) trying to "find" herself, while the guy who loves her desperately sits at home on his hands trying to either find her while she's doing this to "get even" with him for hurting or a perceived hurt, or the man is turning down all other women who come through his life while hoping that she'll take him back once she see's how miserable his life is without her and that she'll take his dedication to waiting for her as a factor to taking him back.

It's a peeve because its just sad. I never will understand why that is needed to make a good romance story.

Oh well.

If it wasn't for that, I'd think it was one of the best you'd written in a while, but having her sleeping with men whole sale as he sits for years on his thumbs crying his way through his beer looking for her and refusing countless other women, unlike what she's doing by sleeping with any man who looks her way, and at the end of the story she feels his "dedication" to waiting for her is the best quality he could have and makes her love him, just killed your story for me.

Sorry =(

-Risq

magmamanmagmamanover 13 years agoAuthor
Interesting thought, but...

Every human being has a demonstration of sexuality in one form or another. So a woman who was in love but then is hurt badly, now finds herself out in the world, available. To my point of view, relationships with others would develop, to me this would be normal. The instinct in a female to attract the best available mate is a powerful natural urge. In fact, I would think it would be extremely unlikely that she would remain virtuous, waiting for something she feels can never be. The instinct in the male is to breed, to cast his seed, those two basic human elements are similar yet completely different. I could see the male becoming celibate and into solo sexuality, harmed by the thought of his own loss, demonstrating his own sexual prowess in work, success, rather than an attempt to breed. But then that is me, my take on things.

Thank you for making me think,

MGM

Average_WriterAverage_Writerover 13 years ago
MGM

Not all men want to breed. Just as not all women want kids fathered my the equivalant of superman. Many women I have spoken to have said that many different things attract them to a man. Like wise most men have different ideas about females. As to the story? Well it did end happily and who knows maybe she can teach him a few things. I guess she must have learnt a few tricks to keep him happy.

AzPilotAzPilotover 13 years ago
I thought it was good and --

I tend to agree with the author; at least this time. I don't always but his philosophy on this one seems valid and plausible. Anyway, keep writing sir.

Risq_001Risq_001over 13 years ago
MGM

While I understand what your staying, and to be honest it is your story regardless (^_^)

Lets play what if a second?

What if he never found her. It was two years later that he did, but if he never had was he planning to go the rest of his life without? He turned down all dates for two years knowing that he would never see her again.

One thing he commented on was how "snug" she was compared to Martha, but now he doesn't care? Why not? Did that no longer matter to him? If it didn't why ever bring it up?

She had no idea she would ever meet him again and went way out of her way why does she feel the need to stay so vague? Why tell him at all if he didn't ask?

I mean I understand why you did it, but to me, the happy ending is only because of "chance" (like you said) but to me it doesn't really work.

I say that because "I'm" the friend who everyone pours their heart out too when their relationship goes wrong. I'm the guy everyone talks to when stuff goes south.

Yet I have once to see someone, anyone, who even when/if they eventually worked it out, the guy who's wife/girlfriend went out and had sex with multiple people and the guy later finds out always goes "oh well happy to have you back honey".

That just doesn't happen almost always is the condition that he be allowed the same latitude or they aren't getting back together. And relationships that eventually bomb are the ones where they hide what they were doing while apart and it later comes to light.

While I see what your saying, and while I don't agree, its still is a one sided love affair. In real life, while I think its bunk this way (I think what is good for the goose is good for the gander) the male usually is the one sleeping his way through women trying to forget the one that got away and the woman is far more choosy trying to replace him. But in this case you reversed it, then had the man do......nothing.

Enough that the character was thought to be gay because no matter who the woman was she was turned down because she wasn't Sylvia and Sylvia turned "no one" down because they weren't him.

But again that's me.

Like I said I Ioved everything right up to that point. Then for me that was what killed my enjoyment. But I think your stuff normally is pretty good.

But regardless thanks for throwing it out there (^_^)

-Risq

catman71catman71over 13 years ago
who cares

its great story, not to mention i think jack and his new"office help" would be an interesting story in its self

oldwayneoldwayneover 13 years ago
I have to agree with the catman...

To me it was a 5 Star read. You just keep doing it your way, while those who don't like your way can just go off and write their own stories.

RonRWoodRonRWoodalmost 13 years ago
Pretty good read

I think you ruined it for me with her admitting she had been with other men including Jack. If she had been checking up on him with his workers...why didn't she give him another chance? She knew he wasn't with other women. Not much of a romance after you told me that.

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 12 years ago
Nah it works -

You need to remember the timeline - she did not say she was always checking on him -

She checked on him after he showed up and asked to talk to her - she changed her mind WHEN she found out how he was acting. That is not the same as knowing his actions all along.

It IS unfortunate that she did that much searching - especially in those days - BUT - she came home in time and that is the important part.

elbruteelbruteover 12 years ago
Not bad..

Fairly good, easy read. Right up till the end...

'You asshole! See, babe? I told you he was an asshole.'

and...

'Jack is right, you are an asshole!'

WTF? I guess nothing makes you feel better than to have your girl and her ex-lover call you an asshole. Just what did I miss?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
A Passing Fancy

A very good story . The re union of Ronnie and Sylvia was anticipated when Ronnie's phone rang up once. A nice story and good ending.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Better One?

This is one of your better stories. My only significant complaint is that you drop the words of the ending as if it was magic. Your storyline built them getting back together. Grandma dying was not needed, and in fact a loan from her, or his father, or a bank would have fit a bit better, perhaps. I've yet to read Ch. 02, however!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Nouns

Only proper nouns need capitals! (Personal/place names, trade marks and so on.)

Ordinary nouns such as cows, goats, etc. should start with a lower case letter.

nancyharpman17nancyharpman17over 8 years ago
Note To Anonymous

That's what you got out of the story? When to use Upper case and when to use lower case? I give you an F. You must be able to read a story before you can criticize it. This is one of the best stories I have read this year in Literotica. Even with its upper and lower case 'mistakes'. Five stars and I will add it to my favorites list.

BfreetorunBfreetorunabout 7 years ago
Very sweet.

It turned out better than I thought it would.

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 7 years ago
Pussy

Ronnie is a pussy.

Sylvia is stupid and takes off to fuck around a bit while Ronnie just walks around with his pecker between his legs.

Not impressed with either of them.

tazz317tazz317about 7 years ago
WHY IS IT YOU GET THIRSTIER

when the well is the driest, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Good Story

I had a friend like Sylvia. Her name was Shirley. I wanted her to be my girlfriend desperately. But I was, and still am, the shyest guy around. I haven't dated a girl in 6 years. Shirley gave up on me and started dating our high school football star. After he got what he wanted from her, he dropped her for another girl. Shirley was quickly picked up by another boy who told anyone who listened about the sex he enjoyed with Shirley. As soon as she graduated, she moved halfway across the United States, and I have never got over her.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 1 year ago

After reading the story I almost had to pick the hayseed out of my hair lol. Not sure how Sylvia didn't come up pregnant on spring break. I'm guessing Martha was taking precautions but Ronnie and Sylvia didn't seem to be. Okay, it is just a story and I'll leave it at that. After all, it did end well.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usermagmaman@magmaman
2703 Followers
6', 186#, published writer. I have worn many hats. As a young man I was crazy, carefree and making wads of money. Then along came a messed up war and I was cannon fodder. From there I came home even crazier, and survived a 120 MPH crash which got me 15 years in a wheelchair...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES