A Picture – Worth A Thousand Words

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

By the time I finished there were 4 large boxes and 4 smaller, not much but smaller, ones sitting on the lawn, along with her TV, stereo and all our cd's. She could have them. She had bought them but I never heard them played. Just more 'stuff' she had to have. Well, now she had it.

The locksmith finished his job just about the time I had finished with the boxes. "Did you get the garage as well?" I don't want her garage door to work with the old key or the opener."

"No worries Mr. Ames. All taken care of. The boss said he'd send the bill to your company." He handed me two new remotes. "These are coded different, one for each door. The spares are on the counter in the house."

"Thank you. I appreciate it. And tell him thanks for the great service."

"Will do Mr. Ames. Take care now." With that the locksmith drove off, leaving me standing in the doorway of my house, looking at all the items on the lawn. I got the camera from my car, took several photos then went down to my home office and printed them off. I had received a call from Sally requesting a copy of the whole video I had taken. I burned a couple of DVD's to drop off at her office, as well as a couple of spares. I had plans for them. The video was date and time stamped so there's no way someone could claim it was doctored.

I left the house, making sure everything was locked. Short of breaking a window, Bev, or anybody else,wouldn't be able to get in. I went to the florist who had finished making up my order. I paid her the agreed upon amount, including the bonus. I then asked her if she used anyone to make casual deliveries, not a delivery service or business. She gave me the name of a young guy who hung out at the mall. With her description, I found him easily.

"Are you Jerry?" I asked.

"Who wants to know?" The kid had an attitude.

"The lady at the flower shop says you make deliveries for her sometimes. Is that right?"

"Yeah, so what?"

"I need to have these and this card delivered. There's 50 bucks in it for you."

"I don't do no illegal shit. This legit?"

"All you have to do is go to this office and deliver these to Mrs. Bev Ames. You don't have to do anything else. The only thing is, it has to be at 4:00 PM today. No sooner, no later. Can do?"

"For 50 bucks, you got your man. Just give me the address." I handed him a slip of paper with the address of Bev's office on it. "I don't have to say nothin'?"

"No, just that you have a delivery for Bev Ames and it has to be personally delivered to her. They'll make sure she comes to get it. She works in that office, just behind the counter."

"Okay. Are you Mr. Ames?"

"You don't know who sent it. You're just the delivery guy. Right?"

"You got it Mr. 50 Bucks. Not a problem. It's only a short walk from here. I'll have it there for 4:00."

"Good. The flower lady said you wouldn't let me down."

He grinned, pocketed the $50 and headed down the street toward her office.

Chapter 2

To say that the delivery set the cat among the pigeons would be an understatement. True to his word, Jerry presented himself to the front desk at Bev's office at exactly 4:00. The receptionist called her to the counter, just as I expected.

Bev took the 15 black flowers and vase back to her desk before opening the card I had planned on delivering last night. I had made some changes to it. The front was all flowery and said Happy Anniversary. I left that alone. Inside, on one side of the card had been a large, flowery 30. I had x'd it out with a large black marker, and then in red had over written the whole thing with a "0". Inside the card were the photos of all the stuff sitting on the lawn. I didn't think it was necessary to sign it. She would have no doubt who sent it.

Bev went hysterical, from what I was told later. I know she tried to call my cell at least 20 times. I just deleted the messages without listening. She must have called my office, but as I had asked, as far as they knew I wouldn't be back until tomorrow some time. There was a message from Joyce relating that Bev had called and was upset and nearly incoherent. She also said for me to lay low. The staff would cover for me. I called Joyce back and asked that they just say as they were told. I would be at the house. I gave her the number of a second cell that I had picked up.

I parked my car in the garage where Bev used to park and made sure that the garage was securely locked. I went into the kitchen, grabbed an iced tea from the fridge and went down to my home office. I unpacked a couple of boxes containing web cameras and set them up, one looking out from the front door, and the second overlooking the deck and back yard. They both provided streaming video and would work in relatively low light.

It was about 4:45 when Bev pulled into the driveway. I could see, from the webcam, her throw the garage door opener onto the floor of her car when it wouldn't work and get out and walk toward the garage. She was lost to sight as she tried to open it with her key. Next she came to the front door and tried her key, of course without success. This was repeated in back and the basement. She came back to the front door and rang the doorbell. I didn't answer. She pounded on the door, and again, I didn't answer. She sat down on the doorstep and started bawling.

I gave her a few minutes then called her cell, "As you can see, this is no longer your home or house. Get loveryboy John or anybody to come and move your stuff. He and his wife probably have a spare room. Any further contact with me is to be through my lawyer, Sally Fields. Any breach and I'll get a restraining order."

"But Jack..."

I ended the call. I knew it had showed on her call display as an unknown number so there was no way for her to call me back. I was totally serious and wanted nothing to do with her. I saw her punching a number into her cell then stopped monitoring the camera. I just didn't care anymore. She could leave her stuff until it got moved or stolen. It didn't matter to me.

When I looked out a couple of hours later, everything had been removed from the lawn. I didn't know or care who had taken it or where it had gone. I had unplugged the landline when I'd gotten home. I plugged it in again, but set it not to ring. It would go straight to the answering machine. I fully expected a shit storm to hit when she told our kids what had happened. They thought their mother walked on water. I was just the sperm donor and supplier. I guess that was partly my fault. I had worked hard to build up the business and hadn't always been there for them. When or if I felt like it, I'd return any calls they made, the next day. I'm sure that if I asked Sally, she would tell them the way it is, and why. I loved my kids, but wouldn't take any crap from them.

I went to bed early in the spare room and slept soundly. It had been a hell of a couple of days. Next morning I put the coffee on and listened to the phone messages, three from my daughter and two from my son. The last one had been at 2:00AM. The ones from Bev, over 30 of them, I just deleted. I debated calling the kids but decided to postpone it until later. I had a couple of errands to run.

I went to a postal box store and got a couple of padded envelopes. After addressing them, I wrote a note for each one and enclosed it. When I had told Sally what I wanted to do, she said it was legal; mean spirited and vengeful, but legal. I didn't mail them yet.

I then went to an internet cafe, bought a coffee and sixty minutes of time on a computer. I searched out John K. Burns, Bev's lover, and got all the info I could on him. He worked for a company that had their head office in the same building where Bev worked. From his LinkedIn account I'd say he wasn't all that successful. Just an average office guy doing an average job. I researched the company he worked for. The principal owners were staunch church goers. They operated their business on Christian principles, and every employee had signed a code of ethics when they were hired, no exceptions. Interesting. I wonder what they'd think of my video with one of their employees committing adultery. I would save that for later unless he tried something funny.

I went back home and saw Bev's car sitting in the driveway. I just drove on by and went downtown. I could out-wait her. Most of what I wanted to do, I could do at my store if necessary. I knew that at some point I would have to face her, but as far as I was concerned it would be with her lawyer on the other side of a conference table from Sally and me. When I returned a couple of hours later the car was gone, but there was a note on the door. I crumpled it up and threw it into the garbage without reading it.

There were more phone calls from my kids.

I called my son first. "Jamie, you've been calling me and I know why. Do you know why, other than your mother told you to?"

"Uh, no Dad. What the hell is going on? Mom is almost hysterical. I couldn't almost understand her she was bawling so much on the phone. Did you really put all her stuff on the lawn, like she said?"

"Well, you can get the details from her, but I found her cheating on me. I have the video to prove it. She can spin it anyway she wants, but cheating is cheating."

"What do you mean video? You taped her doing something?"

"I came back from a job early. Instead of getting home today like I planned, I arrived Thursday night. Let's just say that she and her boyfriend didn't expect me home. I got my camera and videoed the two of them for over half an hour before I left. Not much of an anniversary."

"Dad, are you sure? Like Mom worshiped the ground you walked on. She'd never cheat on you, never."

"Oh, I'm sure. The video doesn't lie. What she worshiped was the money I brought home so she could have all her things. Next time she calls, ask her if the phrase 'stupid meal ticket' means anything to her. I'd be interested in her response. Jamie, I know I haven't been the best dad in the world; that I missed out on a lot when you were growing up, but believe this, son. I have never and have no reason to lie to you. Whatever happens, don't forget that I love you, you and your sister. I have to go now. I have to call Colleen now."

"Dad. Dad. I don't know what to say. I'll ask her about that next time she calls. She calls all the time so it shouldn't be long. Dad, I know you love me, us. Bye for now."

I disconnected and called my daughter. "Well Colleen, I guess you know by now."

"Know what Dad? That Mom's hysterical? That you locked her out for no reason? That you left all her stuff on the lawn? Yeah. I know that. What I don't know is why."

"Well, Colleen. There is a reason. I caught your mother cheating on me. As I told Jamie, no matter how she spins it, cheating is just that."

"Mom would never do that."

"I have half an hour of video that says otherwise. If you insist I'll let you watch it, but I advise against it."

"Video? What video?"

"I came home early from my last business trip and caught her and her boyfriend and videoed it with this new camera I've got. It's clear. There's no mistake."

"I can't believe it. Mom would never..."

"Next time she calls, ask her these two things, does the name John K. Burns mean anything to her, and what does the phrase 'stupid meal ticket' mean? If she's at all honest she'll tell you. If not, well, I can always let you see the video, though I advise against it, like I said."

"God, Dad. This is too much. I find it really hard to believe."

"Yeah, well for better or worse, you never did put much stock in anything I had to say. Having said that, remember no matter what the fallout from this is, I do love you two, you and Jamie. I have to go now. Call me later after talking to your mother."

She sounded deflated as she answered, "Okay Dad. Bye for now." I ended that call as well, and saw that Joyce had left a message on my throwaway phone. I'd call her later.

I went to the spare room and laid down for a nap. From what I've heard so far, the only ones who think I'm right are my staff, my lawyer and my banker. Oh well. It is what it is. I really hadn't expected much more, especially from my kids. This could be a real learning experience for them. There was no way I was going to sugar coat it.

I woke up to somebody pounding on the front door. Instead of answering, I checked the webcam to see who it was. It was Burns, with my soon to be ex-wife standing behind him. I had no interest in what they had to say. All he'd get from pounding on the door was a sore hand. Ten minutes later they were gone. I left soon after, to get something to eat. Time to try some new places. I didn't want to go where I was known, except for the coffee shop across from my store. The old couple who owned it thought I was their surrogate son, so I'd be okay there.

I drove for quite awhile, not going anywhere in particular. I didn't really feel all that hungry but pulled into a pub to grab something to eat. I'd heard of the place, but since it was so far from my house, I'd never been there. It was fairly quiet for a Saturday night. I ordered a beer and clubhouse, apparently the house special. If nothing else it filled the bill, and the price wasn't too outrageous. I sort of paid some attention to the TV's that had various sports on them. BC was losing the football game with Calgary on one screen, some golfer made a hole-in-one and won a car on a second and some wrestlers were doing their thing on another. Typical Saturday night entertainment.

I finished my beer and sandwich and left the pub. With no other plans, I ended up going back home. My daughter's car was in the driveway, and she was sitting on the stoop. I had no idea how long she'd been waiting.

"Colleen?"

"Dad. I've been waiting for you. My keys don't work."

"I'm not surprised. I had all the locks changed. I'll give you and Jamie yours after all this is settled, if you still want them."

"Of course I want them. Why not now?"

"Think about it. You'll figure it out. Now why are you here instead of home with David?" David was her husband. They didn't have any kids yet, but were trying.

"I need to talk about Mom. She wants me to talk some sense into you."

"And she thinks it will work? Not bloody likely. Come in, I'll make some coffee unless you want something stronger." She followed me into the house. I reached behind her and made sure the door was latched and locked.

"You really don't want her in here, do you?"

"Not at all. She can stay with her boyfriend."

"She says you're wrong. There is no boyfriend. She doesn't think you have a video either. It's just something you dreamed up." I could tell that Colleen was trying to keep her temper. She seemed to know that yelling would get her escorted out the door.

"Well, tell you what. Next time you talk to her tell her to have her lawyer call mine. Sally has a copy and a couple of spares. I'm sure she'll be happy to give the lawyer one. Sally Fields is my lawyer, I don't know if your mother has one. If she doesn't, she'd better."

"There's no way to reconcile this? Mom's hoping that there's some way you can get past this."

"Oh, so now she admits it's more than something I made up?"

"Dad, when I asked her about those things you said on the phone, she just broke down. So yes, I guess you could say she admits there's a problem."

"Well, it's her problem, not 'a' problem."

"I think you're being too hard on her. You're not perfect you know." Colleen would always stick up for her mother, even if she turned out to be a convicted axe murderer.

"I never claimed to be perfect. But I never, ever, cheated on her. Not once since the day I met her. It's too bad she can't say the same thing. I was busting my ass building up a business that put food on the table and a roof over our heads. If I wasn't working, I was here. Can she say the same?" I was starting to get really pissed. "Maybe I should give you a copy of the video. Then, Miss High and Mighty, you might see the light. Until then, don't discuss it again, ever. As long as you stick up for her, I'm not interested in your opinion."

"She'll clean you out, you know."

"I think not. Her father made us sign a prenup before we got married. I hated him for it at the time, now I'm thanking my lucky stars."

"She never said anything about that."

"Tell her to get her lawyer to ask Sally for a copy. Glen, my regular lawyer has the original. Anything else?"

"No Dad. Nothing. I'm having trouble believing it all." She opened the door and walked slowly back to her car, head down as if in deep in thought.

"Welcome to my world. Hi to David." Colleen drove away, I assume to go back home to her husband. I didn't know nor care where Bev was.

I awoke Sunday to a pelting rain storm. Well, if nothing else, it will keep Burns and Bev away from the house. Anyone out there would be soaked in seconds. I stood in my living room, sipping my first coffee of the day, just watching the rivulets flowing down the street into the gutter. Just like my marriage. I heaved a sigh and then went downstairs to my home office. I would work from home today. I had one computer linked to the server at work so I could see what I'd missed for the last week. There wasn't much for me to do. Joyce had looked after most of it, just leaving a few things that she knew I'd want to look after myself.

I finished about an hour later then logged onto my home computer, the one not networked to the store. I'd checked the inbox everyday while I was away. It was full again.

Most of them I deleted without reading. I didn't usually read forwarded jokes, cute photos, cartoons and the like. I did see the Nigerians had a few million dollars I could claim. I did scan through everything before deleting the ones I couldn't be bothered to read.

There were several emails, all dated yesterday, from a KennyB. I didn't know who that was, but when I saw the subjects, I had an idea. KennyB was John K. Burns. He wanted me to forgive my wife and take her back. He didn't mean anything, she was just lonely and one thing led to another. Yadayadayada. I didn't bother answering, but I moved them into a special folder I set up. Anything from him or Bev would go in there.

I Googled "alienation of affection" and read up on it. I'd ask Sally about that next time we talked. Meanwhile, I had to get a package ready for Mrs. Burns and for Mr. Burns' employer. On a hunch, I went to the filing cabinet and searched through all the papers stored in there for eons. I found it, a copy of Bev's contract for employment. It contained a morals clause. I bet she had forgotten all about it; just another arrow in my quiver. Maybe I'd have to get a package ready for her employer as well.

It was time to quit. I changed the passwords on all the computers in the house then shut them down. Today would be a veg in front of the tube day. My mood perfectly matched the crappy weather outside. The answering machine showed 4 new messages, one each from Colleen and Jamie, 2 from Bev. I deleted hers without listening to them. Colleen just wanted to apologize for last night. Jamie said he'd call back. He'd talked to his mother and didn't like her answers. Maybe he's starting to see the light, I thought.

I turned on the TV and tried to find something to take my mind off everything. No go. I turned it off and found my Kobo eReader. I had several books on it that I hadn't read. Soon I was lost in the world of history and espionage, subjects I enjoyed reading about when I had time.

Chapter 3

Monday morning I called a junk company, the ones who will haul away your junk for a price. I told them that the stuff I wanted gone would be in the driveway and they could bill my office. They promised that they would pick it up sometime today. I dragged all the bedroom furniture except the lamps out to the driveway. I didn't want any of it, especially the bed. I did like the lamps though. We'd had them forever. I would search for new lampshades sometime.