A Picture – Worth A Thousand Words

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, she's handling mine as well. John K. Burns is as good as plucked and fried and I have you to thank. The video you sent me was the icing on the cake. Until I got it, he was trying to bluff his way out of the whole thing saying he was seduced, it was short term, all that crap. I wasn't buying it, but didn't have anything concrete. The video was certainly graphic. I just wanted to thank you in person."

"Well, I'm happy that it was for the best. It's always the cheaters' spouse and kids that get thrown into the whole mess even though they did nothing wrong. I wanted you to see what kind of sleaze you were married to. I'm glad some good came of it." I was relieved that she wasn't pissed off at me.

"So tell me, is your wife, I mean your ex-wife going to stay with him?" She was more relaxed now that the reason for her visit was out in the open.

"I really have no idea, nor do I really care," I replied. "As far as I'm concerned they made their bed and they can lie in it together or apart. Makes no difference to me." Actually, I'd thought about that, and if Bev had been half-way truly apologetic and taken full responsibility I might have give thought to some kind of support. Her refusal to see what she had done wrong, the implication being it was my fault for catching them, put any thoughts of that out of my head. She and Burns deserved each other, but I couldn't see it lasting.

She laughed. I could get used to the sound of that. She dashed my hopes quite quickly.

"We didn't own the house, just rented. I've already moved out and taken everything I want out of it. The kids and I are moving to Victoria where my folks live. I already have a job lined up and waiting for me. I just wanted to thank you before we go." She finished her iced tea.

"Well, I wish you the best of luck in the future. I hope things work out for you. For you and the kids," I said.

"I think we'll be fine, even better now that he's out of the picture. From what I gather Sally can be ruthless. He'll get what he deserves."

"Rest assured. She's the best. I don't think she likes cheater too much."

"We have to get going. Yes, I think so too. Thanks for the iced tea, Jack. Thank you for everything. You helped more than you'll ever know." She got the kids together and I escorted them through the house and out to the car. "Goodbye, thanks again for everything."

"Liz, you're more than welcome. If you need anything else, well, you know where I live and you have my cell." She shook my hand, got in her car, and drove away, into her new life. I waved goodbye and went back to my yard work, somewhat relieved on how well that had gone. Payback is a bitch.

I finished what I had planned for the day and put everything away. I made sure the front of the house was all locked up, put on a pair of shorts and grabbed a nice cold beer from the fridge and went to relax on the back patio. I was dozing in the sun, enjoying the warmth of the late afternoon. I heard Joyce before I saw her, coming through the gate at the back of the yard.

"Don't you answer your door?" she called.

"Only if I hear it, and it's someone I need to talk to," I laughed.

She giggled and collapsed into a chaise lounge. "You got something cold in the fridge?"

"Sure. What's your pleasure?" I pointed to my almost empty beer.

"I'd prefer some nice white wine if you have it. I never did develop a taste for beer."

"I've got Chardonnay or Pinot Gris. Take your pick."

"Chardonnay, please."

I went in and poured a generous glass of Chardonnay and got myself another beer. "So what brings you into this part of the world?"

"Actually, I was visiting a friend that lives not too far from here and took a chance that you might be home. I just wondered how you are doing, all by yourself." She sipped at the Chardonnay, "Oh, this is nice. Remind me to find out which one it is before I go."

"It's from a small winery called Silver Sage. I like their reds as well. How am I doing? Good. Living by myself doesn't bother me at all, but I must admit I'm thinking of downsizing." I sipped at my beer. "You've been on your own for how long? You seem to get by okay."

"It's been over five years now Jack. Yes, my life has settled into a nice comfortable groove. I like where I live, I like where I work, I have lots of friends."

"I'm glad you're happy. I'm still getting used to it."

She laughed, "I didn't say happy. I think content would be more apt. Yes, content." She leaned back in the chaise and sipped at her wine.

"Okay, content. Now why exactly are you here, Mother Hen? I don't buy this 'just happened to be in the 'hood' nonsense." I laughed at her and she had the grace to blush.

"Damn, you weren't supposed to figure that out," she giggled. "Actually Jack, I'm, well me and Lisa and the guys in back, are worried about you. All you do is work and come back to this big old house. We'd like to see you get out more, get away from the job. It's not worth killing yourself putting in those long hours. We'd like to see you take a holiday. You haven't been on one in ages. Take a couple of weeks and bugger off somewhere."

"Joyce, I appreciate it. From all of you. I do. But I want to stick around until the divorce is final. When that happens then I can let myself relax. I have thought about getting away, but not until then. I know you and the others can run the place for a couple of weeks. I'm not worried about that part."

"So what timeline are we looking at?"

"Let's see," I made a show out of looking at my watch, "fifty days, fourteen hours, twelve minutes and thirty seconds."

She broke out laughing. "Be serious for a second. How long?"

"Just over two weeks, actually sixteen days from today. Then I'll be a free man, well, as free as any slave I guess."

"Okay. I'll hold you to it. Meanwhile, why don't you come over and let me cook you dinner one night?"

"Joyce, I'd love that. Just tell me when."

"How about tomorrow night? I'll do a stuffed chicken dish I've been aching to try. You just bring yourself and some of that delicious Chardonnay. I'll ask a couple of my friends if they want to join us."

"It's a date. What time?"

"Anytime after noon. I've got no plans except to cook."

"Good, tomorrow afternoon. I'll be there."

"Mission accomplished," she replied as she finished her wine. "See you tomorrow Jack. Don't forget the wine. I'll see myself out."

"Thanks Joyce. I look forward to it. See you tomorrow." I leaned back and dozed off. I'd only had two beers but I could feel them. I must be more tired than I thought.

End Part 1 - Part 2 is on the way