A Promise Kept Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That's not something that I wanted to talk to anyone about back then, and I still don't know why I mention it now, if only to honor those brave souls who sacrificed their own lives so that others might live on. Forgive me, but I still get a little upset when I thing about it, and even more so when I talk about it, but those facts hold a lot of bearing in this story, hence the reason I shared it. And although I won't mention their names, I ask only that you pray that God will watch over their souls when you go to sleep after reading this.

~~~~~~

When Jenny and I arrived at her place, a condominium that wasn't too far down the beach from where we were, she took me by the hand and led me inside once she'd unlocked and opened her door.

~~~~~~

Chapter Two

"I'm so glad that you're here with me tonight, Michael," Jenny breathed, pressing her entire body against the whole length of mine, "Will you make love to me? I've really missed you."

To say that we fucked with wild abandon would not be true. Instead, we took our time, making love at our leisure, and although I didn't think it would ever be possible; I was again back in a moment that I could've sworn was gone forever. We did, however, stay up all night doing it, and as I opened my eyes after napping from making love to Jenny for the fourth time that night, I saw the morning sun breaking over the horizon, beginning it's ascent into the morning sky.

"Mmm," Jenny purred rubbing her naked body against mine, "I really loved being with you all night, Michael."

"I had a good time, too," I smiled, as I gently hugged her, "But I do have to get back home at some point."

"Can I ask you something, Michael?" Jenny quietly inquired, "And it's only because I can't get anyone else to tell me."

"Alright," I sighed, knowing what was next, "What would you like to know?"

"Brittany said I should ask you myself so; here it is," she said, "What was it that you were doing for the Navy that made you feel like you couldn't at least answer the letters I sent you?"

"I'll talk about this only once," I replied, "And then I never want to speak of these things again, okay, Jenny?"

"Alright, Michael," she said, "I'm all ears."

"You already know that I was forced to join the Navy," I began, "Once I finished with basic training, I went to Hospital Corpsman "A" school and became a Navy Corpsman, a medic."

"Jeez, that's all?" she asked, "You could've told me that you..."

"Do you want to hear this or not?" I interrupted her, making her nod her head, "Please let me finish. After I got out of "A" school, the career guidance officer showed me a training film about the U.S. Navy's SEAL Teams."

"I know what they are," she interrupted again, "Jesus Christ, Michael...you could've been killed. I hear that they do a lot of crazy and very dangerous things. What were you thinking?"

I was thinking that you wanted to hear what I was going to tell you," I disgustedly replied, getting out of the bed and getting dressed, "But I guess not because you won't let me talk so; will you please take me home instead?"

"I'm sorry, baby, please don't get mad," she pleaded, "I won't say another word...I swear. Please don't make me take you home yet...please?"

"Alright," I sighed, sitting back down on the bed, and then I proceeded to tell her about losing my entire team; not so much how, but about the fact that I lost them just the same, as well as how it affected me. And when I as done, she looked at me and dispassionately said, "Those guys knew what they were getting into, Michael. Besides, no one forced them to do something stupid enough to get themselves blown up. You need to get over it."

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about, dammit," I angrily snapped, standing back up to finish dressing myself, "Until you take a human life, or see a human life needlessly wasted, then you'll never understand what I'm talking about."

"Of course I've never killed anyone," she hatefully spat, "Only animals kill people."

"So, you think I'm an animal then?" I painfully asked, not giving her the chance to reply, "I think that it's best that we not see each other again. You're still as selfish as you always were and you'll never understand anything that has to do with human compassion, because it's not in you to do so. I'm out of here, and I want you to stay as far the hell away from me as you can, do you understand me, you cold blooded bitch?" and then I turned and angrily stomped out of the room, slamming her front door on my way out of her house.

"YOU CAN GO TO HELL, MICHAEL," she yelled at the top of her lungs as I was leaving, "YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE..."

~~~~~~

I walked two miles down the beach to what used to be "Paulie's Bait House" and called my little sister at home.

"Hullo," she groggily answered the phone.

After I explained what had happened, Brittany sweetly told me, "You stay right there, Mikey. I'll be there in twenty minutes to get you, okay, big brother?"

"Okay, I'll be here," I quietly replied, "And thanks, baby girl."

"Aw, sweetie," she gently told me, "It's no problem at all. I'll see ya soon," and then she quickly hung the phone up."

After I got off the phone to Brittany, I went inside the store, and yes they were open at that early hour, to get a cup of coffee. I was thankful that it was at least freshly made, and after putting my usual cream and sugar, I took a seat on the bench outside and waited for my sweet little sister to come and get me. As I sat there drinking my coffee, I thought about the night I'd spent with Jenny. It started off very good, and then for reasons I still can't understand, when I began to tell her what she wanted to know, she suddenly became defensive, almost downright mean. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why someone, especially her, would feel so callous and cold about the way I lost my friends, but then again I realized that some people are afraid, or even worse, they condemn the things that they don't understand.

Still though, the one good thing that came out of it was that I now knew where I truly stood with Jenny Meyers, and that my leaving here had truly been a good thing to do, especially if she was going to act like that. I also knew that unless someone had been standing there beside me on the day my friend were killed, then there was no way in hell that they could never begin to even imagine the feelings of despair that were eating me alive from the inside out.

I looked out over the ocean, smelling the salt air as I started to remember that wretched day. However, right before my eyes began to feel the sting of the tears that were about to fill them, I heard Brittany's car pulling into the parking lot of Paulie's."

"Hey, cutie," I heard her giggling out of her window, "You want a ride?"

"I don't know," I teased, "Is that tub you're driving safe enough to get in without killing me?"

"Shut your ass up and get your ass in," she smiled, "Mom just started breakfast as I was leaving the house, and she told me that she was gonna kick your ass if we're the slightest bit late."

"Oh, shit," I mocked her, "I guess I'd better get in then."

"Yeah," she loudly cackled, "I think you should, too."

~~~~~~

"So, tell me why I'm picking you up instead of the fabulous Jenny Meyers driving you home this morning," Brittany sarcastically asked, "Why isn't she driving you home? What's the matter, did you two have a lover's quarrel?"

"As a matter of fact, we did," I knowingly grinned, "I detect a hint of dislike for her in your voice, sis. You wanna talk about it?"

"Oh, Michael," Brittany sniffled, "You should've heard the awful things she said about you after you left to join the Navy.

"Is that right?" I asked, "We've still got about twenty minutes before we get to the house so; why don't you fill me in, sis?"

"Actually, she started talking a bunch of shit about you right after your trial," she began, "And then after you left it got progressively worse. She told people things that weren't true; things like you'd robbed a bank and raped a couple of women while doing it...but don't worry, Mikey, I went behind her back and set the people that she'd said those things to straight and told them the truth."

"Thanks sweetie," I softly told her, taking her hand, "I really love you. I hope you know that."

"I do," Brittany smiled, as tears began to fill her eyes, "I really missed you while you were gone, Michael."

Whenever my sister called me by my full name I knew that she was either angry with me, or she was being serious; and because of the tears in her eyes, I knew it was the latter of the two.

"I used to hear Mom and Dad talking about what it was you were doing in the Navy," she sniffled, "And I was so afraid that something bad was going to happen to you," by this time she was openly crying, "I was so scared that you were going to get killed, and I'm sorry for being such a baby, Michael, but you're the only brother I'll ever have, and I just love you, that's all."

"It's okay, baby girl," I softly told her, using the name I called her when she was just a little girl, "I'm home now, and I'm safe...I promise."

"Maybe so," she sniffled, beginning to calm back down, "But you're not the same, Mikey...please talk to me. I'm really worried about you."

"It's really hard to talk about right now, Brit," I quietly said, tears beginning to fill my own eyes, "Please try to understand, okay, sweetie."

"I want you to know that I do understand, more than you know," she told me, a smile on her beautiful face, "And when you're ready to talk about it, I'm right here for you, Michael, okay?"

"Thanks, Sis," I replied, "I really appreciate it, and I love you very much."

"I know you do, sweetie," she softly replied, looking at me from the corner of her eye as she drove us home, "And I love you, too."

~~~~~~

"It's about time you got your butt back here, boy," Mom smiled, as I kissed her cheek on my way through the kitchen from the back door and into the house, "I though we were going to have to call out the National Guard to go looking for you."

"Good morning, Mom," I grinned, "Mmm, it sure smells good in here," then looking around and not seeing him, I asked, "Where's Dad?"

"Where do you think he is?" she giggled, "Today is Saturday so; he and Ken Matlock went to knock out eighteen holes this morning."

"Oh, cool," I grinned, "Speaking of which, how are the Matlocks these days?"

"They're doing very well," Mom knowingly grinned, Sara (Kens wife) told me to tell you hello, and welcome home."

"Tell her that I said, thank you," I smiled, remembering Mrs. Matlock when I was a youngster, "She was always so nice to me."

"Yeah, she was," Brittany teased, "And Kara Matlock still has the biggest crush on you so; now that you're home, don't be surprised if she comes sniffing around here looking for you."

"Jeez, Brit," I chuckled, "Will you give me a break?"

"Hell no," she giggled, "I ain't giving you shit, big brother."

"Dammit Brittany," Mom chided her, "I can't understand how such filthy language can come from someone so pretty."

"It's easy, Mom," Brit laughed, "I get it from Dad, and you know that's the truth."

"Maybe so," Mom grinned, "He gets a little fired up when he's pissed off, doesn't he?"

"That's not the half of it," my sister laughed, "You should've heard him the other day when he accidentally knocked his tool box off of the shelf in the garage," and then she looked at me, "It was so funny, Mikey."

"I know," I chuckled, "I remember him getting pissed off about different things when I was in high school. He can cuss worse than anyone I've ever heard, and I was in the Navy for ten years."

"Uh huh," my sister giggled, "And you think that I'm bad, Mom? Dad is a thousand times worse than I ever will be."

"Mom so," Mom scolded, "But you should at least try to watch your mouth, young lady."

"Okay, Mom," Brit smiled, "I'll try harder, I promise."

"Bullshit," I whispered to her, "You always had a trash mouth and you ain't about to change for anyone."

"Fuck off, Mikey," Brittany spat.

"Dammit, Brittany," Mom said, "Will you stop?"

"Come on, Mom," my sister whined, "Besides, Mikey started it."

"I give up," Mom growled, "Don't blame it on me when you end up to be an old maid, because no man will want anything to do with you and your nasty mouth, dammit."

"Humph," Brit hatefully snorted, "I've head a lot worse come out of your mouth when you and Dad are upstairs having sex, Mom."

"That's enough, Brittany Leigh," Mom angrily said, coming from the kitchen to stand face to face with my sister, with her face turning red in not only anger but also embarrassment, "I'm still your mother, this is still my house, and I don't want to hear another fucking word. Do you understand me, little girl?"

Knowing that my little sister had purposefully crossed a line that she knew she shouldn't have, I stood up and got between her and Mom, and said, "Come on, you two, why don't we all just calm down, okay?" Then I glared at my sister and told her, "Brittany, I believe you owe Mom an apology."

"He's right, Mom," my sister said, shamefully looking at the ground, "I'm sorry, and I shouldn't have said something so terrible to you. Please forgive me?"

"Just don't do it again," Mom said, never being able to stay angry with either me or my sister for as far back as I could remember, "I just love you, baby girl and I want to see good things happen for you. Can you understand that, honey?"

"Yes, ma'am," Brit sniffled, placing her arms around Mom, "And I love you, too...I'm really sorry, Mom."

"Aw, don't worry about it, sweetie, Mom smiled, patting Brit on the butt, something else she's done for as far back as I can remember, "It'll be alright. Now come on and help me put breakfast on the table, okay?"

"Okay, Mom," Brit giggled, and then followed Mom back into the kitchen.

My Mom and sister had always butted heads ever since my sister turned about twelve or thirteen, which was right before I left for the service. But they never stayed mad at each other for more than a few minutes...and seeing this happen again let me know that the continuity of family was just what I needed, just when I needed it, and maybe I was going to be alright after all.

Still though, I had demons that I'd not yet faced, and in the realization of that fact I could feel the darkness that followed me home from the Navy manifesting itself in the darkest, deepest, most secret reaches of my soul. And little did I realize that it was going to get a lot worse before it got better? However, what I also didn't realize was that my salvation would come from a place I would've never in the world expected.

~~~~~~

That afternoon when Dad came home from playing golf with one of our longtime family friends, Ken Matlock, he immediately asked me if he and I could go into his study to talk.

"Okay, Dad," I smiled, as I took a seat across from him at his desk, "What do you wanna talk about?"

"I think I might have a job for you," he knowingly grinned, "If you're interested, that is."

"Okay, I'll bite," I said, humoring him, "What kind of job are we talking about here?"

"Correct me if I'm wrong," he began, "But before you joined the Navy, did you, or did you not say that you wanted to be a teacher...specifically a history teacher?"

"Well, yeah," I said, "But that was before I got into trouble, and was forced to join the Navy."

"If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Navy pay for you to get your Master's Degree in History while you were in their service, Mike?"

"Yeah, I did," I replied, "But like I said, I got into trouble with the law and I..."

"Hold it right there, son," Dad knowingly grinned, "Think about this. The judge said that he would drop the charges against you if you went into the Navy, didn't he?"

"That's right," I excitedly smiled, having almost forgotten that fact, "He sure did; didn't he?"

"Yes, he did," Dad chuckled, "And that means that your record is squeaky clean, which also means that any college would jump at the chance to have you on their faculty. So, now what do you think?"

"I think that's great," I smiled, "But what college are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about the University of Houston," Dad grinned, "You know that Ken Matlock is the dean of education there, yes?"

"No, I didn't know that," I chuckled, "So, what does that mean for me?"

"Two things," Dad smiled, "They not only need a history professor, but they also need a coach for their co-ed Karate Team; and with your military background, as well as the fact that you've got your Master's Degree in History, I think that you'd be the perfect person for both jobs."

"Oh, man, that would be great," I excitedly grinned, "So, what do I need to do?"

Nothing yet," he said, "The Matlocks are going to be here for dinner tonight, and you and Ken can talk about it then, okay?"

"Thanks, Dad," I appreciatively replied, "I can't begin to tell you what this means to me."

"I think I understand more than you know," he gently replied, coming around from behind his desk and pulling me into his arms, "Don't forget that I fought in "The Nam" when you were just a little guy, or don't you remember? Granted, I only did two tours there, but it was enough for me to understand where you're coming from."

Is that right?" I asked, "But you told me that you an administrative assistant for some Army General at the U.S. Embassy in Saigon and didn't see any action."

"I didn't tell you the whole truth, son," he began, "I was there in nineteen sixty-eight during the Tet Offensive; and yes, I was an administrative assistant, but because I was also in the Army, I was a soldier first. Anyway, when the Viet Cong hit the embassy, the world started going to hell around me. It only lasted a couple of weeks before Charlie retreated back across the border into Cambodia, but I was scared shitless nonetheless. Then when I volunteered to go back in sixty-nine, I was assigned to a Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol (LRRP) team. It was there that I saw some terrible shit that I never want to remember so; don't think that I can't see that you've got P.T.S.D., just like I did for a long time; and to be totally honest, I still have those fucked up dreams sometimes, too, just not as often as I used to."

"Shit, Dad," I quietly replied, "Why didn't you ever tell anyone about it?"

"Think about it, son," he smiled, with tears beginning to appear in his eyes, "You don't like talking about what you did, do you?"

"Hell, no," I said, "I hate even thinking about that shit."

"Then that's why I don't like talking about what I went through, Mike," Dad smiled.

"I understand now," I told him, "But does it ever go away?"

"Unfortunately not," Dad said, wiping his eyes with his handkerchief, "But I learned how to make friends with those dreams after enough time passed, and hopefully you will, too."

"Thank you, Dad," I quietly replied, wiping my eyes as I hugged him, "In case I haven't told you lately, I love you very much; and I'm glad that you're my father."

"I love you, too, son," he smiled, returning the hug, "And I'm very proud of you...I always have been..."

~~~~~~

That afternoon was the day that my father and I transcended the father/son relationship that I'd always found comfort in, and became the very best of friends. Not only had we opened our hearts to one another, but we'd also shared our fears with each other, and I found that my father and I both shared many of the same fears, eternally binding our spirits together, which only strengthened the blood relationship we already had...

~~~~~~

At Seven-thirty that evening The Matlocks, Ken Sara, and their daughter Kara came to our house for dinner. I could see the Kan and Sara had visibly grown a little, but not too much, older since I'd last seen them, However, Kara on the other hand, had gone through a transformation which, had I not know her when we were both young, I wouldn't have believed it.