A Promise Kept Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As a teenager she'd always been slightly plump. Don't get me wrong, she'd always had a pretty face, because she looked exactly like her mother, and Ms. Sara was a very attractive woman. However, Kara had let her deep dark brown hair grow out to her waist, which was now small enough that I could probably place both of my hands around and not have very much distance between the two.

And it was very difficult for me not to notice that she might've lost the weight from around her body, but her breasts were deliciously plump and round, and now I found myself beginning to get lost in her dark brown, almost black eyes. Needless to say, I found her very attractive, and had it not been for my being trained to maintain my composure in stressful situations, I would've been tripping over my tongue by that time, completely at a loss for words. However, my discomfort was apparently obvious to my sister, but to her credit, she chose not to tease me about it at the time. She did later though, but just not then.

"Hello, Michael," Kara sweetly smiled, as she gently hugged me, "It's been a long time since I've seen you, too long."

"Yes it has," I politely replied, "You look great, Kara."

"Thank you," she purred, "You don't know how good it makes me feel to hear you say that."

"Hi, Mikey," Ms, Sara delightfully grinned, "Come over here and give me a hug, you handsome thing."

"Hi, Ms. Sara," I grinned, finding the same comfort in her arms that I did as a child, "It's so good to see you, and you're looking as pretty as ever."

"Listen to you," she giggled, "What a silver tongued devil you've become."

"Nah, not me," I chuckled, "I'm just telling the truth, that's all."

"Well than you, sweetie," she smiled, "It's so good to see you, baby boy. I've missed you."

"Let the boy have a breath, honey," Mr. Ken chuckled, "How're you doing these days, Mike?"

"I'm doing well, sir," I smiled, as we shook hands, "Thank you for asking."

"I've got a proposition for you," he knowingly grinned, "But we'll talk about that a little later, after we've eaten, okay?"

"Yes sir," I happily replied, "I look forward to it."

~~~~~~

I was seated next Kara at the dinner table that night, with my sister on the other side of me. I still couldn't believe how beautiful Kara had grown up to be, and was really enjoying just being near her. She kept me engaged in conversation all throughout dinner, which, Mom had made Lasagna, and it was as always, delicious.

However, when desert came, Ms. Sara brought out a coconut crème pie, which she knew I'd always loved, especially when she made it; and it brought a huge smile to my face when she told me, "I made this just for you, Michael, sweetheart, because I know how much you love to eat this when you were just a little fella," and of course my face turned beet red in embarrassment.

"Don't let her embarrass you, Michael," Kara sweetly told me, patting my leg beneath the table, "She loves you, that's all...as a matter of fact, there are a lot of people that love you...very much." Of course when she said this, her face turned a very bright red, letting me know that the childhood crush she'd had on me might still exist; and when I thought about it, I realized that I sure could do a hell of a lot worse. One thought that briefly crossed my mind was the fact that I'd known Kara all of my life, and I also knew that she would always be good to me no matter what.

However, I also considered that a girl as beautiful as Kara surely already had a boyfriend that probably loved her more than anything, and maybe the thought of her wanting to be with someone like me was just a case of wishful thinking on my part. Still though, she sure was a pretty thing, that much was certain, but I had nothing to offer her, and it would take more than a childhood crush to sustain a meaningful relationship with someone so beautiful...

~~~~~~

Chapter Three

After dinner was done with, and everyone had eaten their fill, Dad and Mr. Ken took me back into Dad's study to talk. From the looks on both of their faces, I could tell that something good was about to happen for me, especially considering the talk I'd had earlier that day with Dad.

"So, tell me, Mike," Mr. Ken smiled, "Now that you're out of the Navy, have you made any plans on what you want to do, occupationally speaking?"

"Maybe," I knowingly chuckled, "I understand that there might a couple of openings at the U of H, sir."

"You're right, kiddo," he grinned, "And according to what your father told me, you might be the perfect candidate for both of those openings, too. However, before we discuss that, I'd like to know what you think about working in a teaching position, especially with your military background being what it is."

"I mean no disrespect, Mister Ken," I began, "But I don't really see how my military background applies to being a teacher."

"No disrespect taken, young Michael," he warmly smiled, "But you have to understand that doing the type of work you've done, has a very strong impact on the history of this country, son; and while quite I'm certain that I'll never be able to understand the things that you've experienced, I do know that every Navy SEAL who's ever served this great country has made his own personal sacrifices to be in the positions that each and every one of you who have survived now stand in. I also want to express to you my personal gratitude for doing what you did to keep us all free, whatever it was."

"Thank you, Mister Ken," I quietly replied, as I shook his hand, "But I was just doing my job, sir, no more, no less."

"I think that you've just answered my question, too," he happily chuckled, "And I know that you'll fit in perfectly at the U of H, Mike. How soon can you start? Classes begin in less than a month."

"I can start whenever you want me to," I grinned, "Just tell me where I need to be, and when I need to be there."

"That's great," he excitedly replied, "Be at my office in the primary administration building at eight o'clock Monday morning, and we'll get you all set up."

"Thank you for this opportunity, Mister Ken," I widely smiled, shaking his hand, "I promise that I won't let you down."

"I don't doubt that one bit, Mike, and I have every confidence that you'll do well," he chuckled, giving me the same fatherly hug he'd been giving me my whole life, "But you need to be ready to hit the ground running, son."

"No problem," I confidently smiled, "I'll do my very best, Mister Ken."

"Oh, one more thing, Mike," he smiled, "Now that you're a grown man, why don't you call me just plain old Ken...alright?"

"Okay, Ken," I said, "And if you ever find yourself waiting on me, then you'll be backing up."

"Good," he laughed, "Why don't we go back into your parent's living room before the women send out a search party to look for us?"

"Send a search party?" Dad asked, "No, they wouldn't do that, they're just nosy, that's all," which elicited a hearty laugh from the three of us.

~~~~~~

The Navy had released me a full week early; however, because I was still considered to be on active duty, and out of respect, I wore my dress uniform, summer whites, to the interview at University of Houston.

~~~~~~

"May I help you, sir?" the pretty young lady who obviously Ken's secretary asked me, when I appeared in his office the following Monday morning.

"Yes, ma'am," I courteously replied, "My name is Master Chief Michael Walker, and I've got an eight o'clock appointment with Doctor Matlock."

"Oh, my goodness, I'm terribly sorry, Masterchief," she very nicely replied, as she stood, "Please, if you'll follow me, I'll take you right to him."

~~~~~~

"I apologize, Masterchief Walker," the lady said, escorting me down the hall as we drew stares from everyone we encountered along the way, "I wasn't expecting to see a man in uniform, I guess."

"I'll tell you what," I smiled, "My name is Mike, what's yours?"

"Renee," she grinned, "And it's nice to meet you, Mike. Doctor Matlock is expecting you," and then we arrived at his door, which was standing wide open.

"Mike...so good to see you," he grinned, "Thank you, Renee, would you be so kind as to bring Masterchief Walker a cup of coffee, please? How do you take it, Mike?"

"Cream and two sugars, please," I replied, "Thank you, Renee."

"Oh, no problem, Mike," she giggled, "I'll be right back," and then she was gone.

"Come in and take a seat, Mike," Ken chuckled, "I really like the uniform, but you didn't have to wear it, blue jeans and a shirt would've been perfectly alright."

"I did it because I'm still on active duty for the rest of the week, after which my discharge will be final," I informed him, "The Navy released me early as a personal favor from my Commanding Admiral."

"That's was nice of him," Ken said, "He sounds like a very nice guy to me."

"He really is," I smiled, "And he's a great friend who really cares about all of his men, and is on a first name basis with every single one of them, too."

"It's funny you should say that, Mike," Ken knowingly smiled, "Because I'm the same way with the people that work under me, too, because I fell that it makes for a common respect between all of us...and I can't wait to introduce you to the rest of the faculty, one of whom you know quite well already."

"Is that right," I chuckled, "And who would that be?"

"She...would be my daughter, Kara," he chuckled, "She doesn't know that you're going to be teaching here so; if it's alright with you, I'd like to surprise her when we have our first faculty meeting this afternoon."

About that time, Renee returned with our coffee; and when she placed my cup in front of me on Ken's desk, she looked at me with a smile on her pretty face and told me, "I hope I got it right, Mike. If not, just let me know and I'll make you another cup of coffee."

"Let's see," I grinned, taking a sip, and of course it tasted as though I'd made it myself so, I smiled and said, "You got it perfect; thank you very much, Miss Renee, or is it Missus."

"Oh, no," she girlishly smiled, "It's Miss, but thank you just the same for asking," and then she walked out of Ken's office looking at me over her shoulder every other step, disappearing after three or four steps.

"You'll have to forgive her, Mike," Ken laughed, "I think it's the uniform that's making her like that."

"Leave her alone," I chuckled, "I think she's a nice person."

"She is," he smiled, "And she's very good at her job, but there are a number of single female faculty members here so; don't be surprised if they all act like her around you. Hell Mike, you and I both know that you've never had a problem where the ladies are concerned. My wife even said how charming she thought you were now that you've grown up."

"I love Ms. Sara very much, and I always will," I kindly replied, "The both of you have been like a second set of parents to me ever since I was a little boy."

"I know, Mike," he sincerely replied, "And I've always thought of you as the son I always wanted, but never had. However, when we're here at work we've got to be..."

"I know what you mean, Ken," I politely interrupted him, "And I would never compromise your position here, okay?"

"I know you wouldn't," he grinned, "I also trust you more than anyone here, just so you know."

"Alright then, Doctor Matlock," I teased, taking the last sip of my coffee and standing up, "Am I going to get my own office, too?"

"Why certainly, Professor Walker," he laughed, "If you'll follow me, please?"

~~~~~~

Ken basically took me on a tour of the campus, showing me where my office was in the History Department's building, which, to be totally honest, thrilled me to no end. And when he told me that I would actually have two offices, the other being in the athletic building, I felt blessed because not only was I a history professor now, but also a coach, too.

I was introduced to my department head, and/or my immediate boss, Dr. Carolyn Hanson, a very nice lady who was as gentle as she was kind. I'd say that she stood roughly five feet, seven inches tall, weighed about a hundred and twenty pounds, and had her long blonde hair tied back in a pony tail. Her green eyes showed that she was not only very intelligent and educated, but she also seemed thrilled to meet me.

"Professor Walker," she cordially smiled, shaking my hand, "I've heard many wonderful things about you, and now that I've been given the opportunity to meet a real, live United States Navy SEAL, I find that this is something particularly thrilling for me. Thank you for your service, Professor, it's an honor to meet you, and I look forward to working with you."

"No, thank you for this opportunity, Doctor Hanson," I warmly replied, as I gently shook her hand, "And just so that you know, the honor is mine, ma'am."

"Please," she girlishly chuckled, "Feel free to call me Carolyn."

"Thank you, Carolyn," I smiled, "In that case; I want you to feel free to call me Michael, or Mike, like the rest of my friends do."

"So, your name is Michael huh?" she smiled, "My goodness, the nobility of such a name matches what I'm sure were very noble deeds you did while you were in the Navy, yes?"

"I don't know about that," I respectfully replied, "I was just doing my job, no more, no less."

"And so humble, too," she adoringly grinned, "I have a feeling that you'll fit in quite well in this department, and I look forward to working with you in the future, Michael."

"As do I, you," I quietly replied, "I just don't want to disappoint you, because I will tell you right now that my teaching methods are about as unconventional as they come."

"Wonderful," she widely smiled, "I'm all about using fresh new ideas, as well as breaking the glass ceiling when it comes to teaching... that makes me want to go back to college all over again, Michael; and like I've already said, I look forward to watching you teach the bright young minds that're going to be on campus this year..."

~~~~~~

"Holy shit," Ken chuckled, once we were outside, "It seems that you've made quite an impression on Doctor Hanson, Mike."

"I only have one question for you, Ken," I firmly replied, "And please be honest with me, okay?"

"Of course," he knowingly laughed, "I've never lied to you before, son. What do you wanna know?"

"What did she mean when she said that she's heard many wonderful things about me?" I asked, "Have I been set up here?"

"No, not really," he laughed, "It's just that, well...your father told me that you had expressed to him that you wanted to be a teacher before you joined the Navy so; I just presented you with an opportunity, and when you accepted my offer, I called Carolyn this past weekend and told her that you would be here to take over the position, that's all. I swear, Mike."

"I can tell that you're an underhanded son of a bitch," I laughed, "I can also see that I'm going to have to grow eyes in the back of my head from now on, especially around you," which of course elicited a hearty laugh from the both of us.

"Lighten up, Mike," Ken chuckled, "It could be a lot worse, believe me."

"That's the trouble," I laughed, "I do believe you."

"Come on," he smiled, "Let me take you and show you your other office."

"I have two offices," I incredulously asked, as Ken nodded his head, "Holy shit, it just gets better..."

~~~~~~

"This is so cool," I excitedly grinned, as we walked across campus, "Tell me something, Ken, are there any other faculty members who are like me, and teach two totally different subjects?"

There's one," he knowingly grinned, "However, because of issues concerning adequate space, you and her will be sharing the office in the athletic building."

"Her," I questioned, "And what two subjects does she teach?"

"She...teaches Chemistry, and has an office in the Science Department's building," he knowingly smirked, which I totally missed at the time, "But she's also your assistant coach, hence the reason that you two will share the same office."

"I can live with that," I contentedly replied, "So, when do I get to meet her?"

"Hopefully this afternoon at the faculty meeting;" he grinned, looking at his wristwatch, "Which is going to be held in the main auditorium in about twenty minutes so, I think it would be wise if we started heading that way. However, if you don't get the chance to meet your assistant coach there, then you will certainly meet her when classes convene."

~~~~~~

After going back to Ken's office so that he could pick up his briefcase, I followed him to the main auditorium, taking a seat in the very back row, while he made his way to the stage right before the faculty meeting began.

~~~~~~

The President of the college, Dr. Robert Dresden, spoke first, welcoming the faculty into the new semester following this past summer break. As he spoke about the advantages of being a teacher/professor at the U of H, I scanned the room looking for Kara, knowing she was there somewhere.

Although I couldn't see her at the moment, I figured it was only a matter of time before we ran into one another, and to be honest, it was a time that I was looking forward to. I still couldn't believe the transformation that she'd undergone while I'd been off serving my country. And the more I thought about it, the more I found myself barely being able to wait until I could once again get lost in the calm stillness of her beautiful dark brown, doe eyes. Little did I realize at the time that it would those same eyes in which I would find peace, rest, absolution, and last but certainly not least; protection from the demons that were haunting my soul?

Suddenly I heard Dr. Kenneth Matlock's voice echoing through the auditorium, and as I looked up, I saw his smiling face looking directly at me from behind the podium at which he stood.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," he began, "I'm very excited to introduce someone who has recently been hired to fill in the two slots left open by his predecessors here at the U of H, not only will he be teaching World History, American History, and Contemporary American History, but he will also be coaching our new Coeducational Karate team. Allow me to introduce soon to be retired, United States Navy Masterchief, Mike Walker, who, it just so happens, was also a Navy SEAL...standup Mike so that everyone can see you," and as I stood, I heard Ken say, "Let's give him a nice round of applause to make him feel at home," followed by loud applause that loudly sounded throughout the whole auditorium...

~~~~~~

After the faculty meeting came to a conclusion, I found myself surrounded by several different people introducing themselves and telling me how happy they were to have me as a faculty member. To be honest, I was beginning to feel a little overwhelmed until I saw Kara working her way through the crowd to come stand next to me and take me by the arm.

"He's a great guy, everyone," Kara announced, "I've known him all my life, and he's always been a real sweetie," which of course made my face turn a bright shade of red, embarrassing ,e to no end.

"Come with me," she whispered in my ear, "I'll get you out of here, sweetie."

However, right before she led me out of the auditorium, I looked at everyone and politely said, "It's been very nice meeting you all; and I hope that we can find the time to talk again, thank you for the warm welcome."

~~~~~~

"Holy cow," I grinned, as soon as we were outside the auditorium, "That was interesting."

"So, I guess Daddy roped you into teaching here, huh?" Kara giggled.

"Not really," I smiled, "I always wanted to be a teacher before I got into trouble and had to join the Navy. Your father just gave me the opportunity to do it, that's all."

"I remember that," Kara sadly smiled, "I always knew that it was Lance Howard's fault and not yours. He was always in some kind of trouble back in those days."