A Tale of Mermen

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Valin blinked. His eyes had trailed Lopai's departure. His mind couldn't adjust to the way it had ended. He had expected Lopai would try to execute Noma before leaving.

Malong swam to the exit too.

"Wait," exclaimed Papek.

Malong turned. "What for?"

"We can't just leave her like that," said Papek, pointing at Noma. "We have to make sure she doesn't wake up."

Malong shook his head. "I'm not a murderer," he said and left.

"Once she recovers, she will hunt us down," said Papek, turning to Valin.

"I know," said Valin.

"Aren't you going to do anything about it?" asked Papek.

"Sure I am," replied Valin and grabbed his staff.

Expectantly Papek kept his eyes on Valin and his battle-readied staff.

"Well?" asked Papek, when Valin didn't make a further move.

"Well what?" asked Valin.

"What are you going to do about it?"

"I am going to practice harder than ever before," said Valin. "I have to. If I want to be able to defend myself from her wrath."

"What?" Papek was baffled.

Lomon stared at Valin, then at Noma, then back at Valin. "Papek, we need to start fleeing."

"We need to kill her is what we need to do," said Papek pointing at Noma.

"He won't let us kill her," said Lomon. "Don't you get it, Papek?"

"Get what?" hissed Papek.

"The test of the heir," whispered Lomon. "He has made a mortal enemy of our greatest warrior to be."

"What a surprise," said Valin, still swinging his staff. "The loser has heard about the test of the heir."

"What are you talking about," asked Papek.

"Don't you remember, Papek?" asked Lomon, tugging at his friend's arm. "The test of the heir."

Papek pulled his arm free. "If none of you will do the task, then I..." Papek went quiet as an old memory clicked into place. Old stories. Old myths.

"The shadow order," whispered Papek and backed away from Valin.

"We need to flee," repeated Lomon. "Noma won't sleep forever."

"We need to kill her," insisted Papek.

"Try," suggested Valin, smiling wider than ever. "Please try to kill her."

That was enough for Papek, he fled the cave swimming as fast as he could. Lomon followed.

Valin's smile vanished when he was alone with Noma. In this first part of his test, he had learned things about himself. Things which he had been happier not knowing.

He picked up Noma and swam her to a safer location.

Epilogue:

"She was here this morning."

Valin turned to look at his master, but didn't ask who 'she' was. He very much doubted it was his former sweetheart. Even before Valin had left to commence the test, she had told him she would never surface with him again.

A long time would pass before any mermaid would be able to look at him without feeling disgust.

"Your mortal enemy," added Valin's master.

"That was fast," said Valin.

"The first battle will be fought with combat staves in open water," said his master. "It will take place tomorrow afternoon."

"I will win tomorrow's fight," said Valin.

"I know," said his master. "She came too soon. She cannot have surpassed you yet. The first of your ten fights will be easy."

"I wish I didn't have to kill her at the tenth fight," said Valin.

"Are you sure you will live to attend the tenth fight," asked his master.

"No," admitted Valin. "The council chose well when they chose Noma."

"Yes, they chose well."

The two mermen went quiet. The council of the shadow order didn't care who would win, shadow or not. What mattered was that a great warrior would be created in the process.

Two of the best students, driven to excel.

After some years, the name of the greatest champion of the sea would be either Noma or Valin.

Mortal enemies.

One driven by hate, one driven by survival.

The test of the heir.


*

Feedback is very appreciated. Even if it is simply an "I liked it", "It sucked", or an "It wasn't as good as I wanted it to be."

Constructive criticism is appreciated too, I'm an amateur with ambitions to grow. But, if you do take the trouble, please be very specific. I'm dense.