A Time Well Spent

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How will this affect my application for a pardon?"

"My theory is that he will cover his arse by ordering a mis-trial and recommending that the Governor issue you with a pardon and that you should be adequately compensated for your time in gaol as well as the damage to your reputation. You stand to become a wealthy man out of this. Now, where are you taking me to lunch?"

"I have plans to meet Natalie, you're welcome to join us, I'm sure she won't mind."

Natalie didn't mind at all. "Robert, we have to thank you for all of your efforts, we don't know what we would have done without you." She said, after sitting through a blow by blow account of the morning's proceedings.

"First things first, I do not like being called Robert, Rob is my name of choice. The last thing I want is to be likened to some jumped up poet. Secondly, it's Tom who's responsible for all of this. If he hadn't decided to put his time inside to good use, by studying the aspects of the original trial that bothered him, he would not have discovered the key to this whole fiasco. It all came down to the change in attitude by Morris Mitchell, the last time that he had dealings with him over a car purchase. Gone was the friendly, good natured exchange between them, it was replaced by a distancing himself from Tom."

"I got the impression that, if he hadn't paid a deposit, he would have cancelled the order. I was having suspicions about Jennifer's fidelity, but couldn't prove anything. His change in attitude confirmed my worst thoughts, and I had thought of getting someone to investigate it, but didn't have time. Then there was this alleged harassment, and the insistence on my taking out an intervention order. It was all just to establish a reason for me to harm him. I detected the devious hands of someone well versed in the legal niceties around police investigations and evidence, but was unable to do anything about it at the time. My solicitor was hamstrung at every turn because no-one was deviating from the script. If he hadn't been able to sow the seeds of doubt about premeditation, I would have gone down for murder."

"So what happens now?" Natalie asked.

"I think that his Honour will issue a recommendation to the Governor for a full pardon for Tom. He will also make a ruling in regards to compensation. He may, to deflect attention from himself, forward trial transcripts to ICAC and the DPP (Director of Public Prosecutions) for consideration, with a view to charges being laid. He is due for retirement so don't be surprised if he announces his intention to retire shortly."

Natalie took out her phone and called her office. "Hi, can you check my schedule for this afternoon and see if there's anything that can't be re-scheduled?" There was pause for a few minutes while her schedule was checked. "I don't want to miss this afternoon for anything. If it happens the way that you think it will." She said to Rob to fill in that time. "I think the three of us should go somewhere posh to celebrate." She took her hand from where it covered her phone. "Hi, you've covered for me this afternoon, thanks, I owe you one. Yes it involves Tom, and no, he hasn't asked me to marry him, yet. Gotta go, 'bye."

I leant over and kissed her. "I will, and soon, this afternoon maybe."

"All right you two, break it up, we have court to attend."

It was a tense few minutes, from the time that the court resumed session, until his Honour turned his gaze to the body of the court. "I have considered the evidence presented by Mr Browning on behalf of his client Mr Thomas Cowley, in his application to have his original trial declared a mistrial, and the issue of a full pardon. As a result, I am going to issue the following judgements. Firstly, that there were sufficient deficiencies in the police investigation and the subsequent prosecution of Mr Cowley for me to order a mistrial. Mr Browning has offered sufficient and compelling evidence of a serious mis-carriage of justice for me to recommend to the Governor that he issue a full Pardon to Mr Cowley. Secondly, I am going to forward, not only transcripts of this trial, but those of the original trial, to both the DPP and ICAC with a view to the prosecution of several parties for their roles in the perversion of the course of justice. Off the record, I must congratulate Mr Cowley for using the time, that he unfortunately spent in gaol, to good use in not only establishing his innocence of the charges for which he was incarcerated, but the guilt of the several parties involved in that prosecution. I hope that he continues to put the knowledge gained to good use in the future. That will be all. Court adjourned."

Natalie threw caution to the wind and her arms round my neck. Her lips crushed mine and I could feel her happiness flowing from her to me. I was vindicated, I was no longer a convicted felon.

"Ahem, when you two have finished making a spectacle of yourselves, didn't someone mention a celebration?"

"Yeah," Natalie said, "Let's get the hell out of this place, and find somewhere quiet and celebrate my man's victory."

Our elation was in complete contrast to the mood shown by both Rawlinson and Sergeant Browne. They both arrived at the realisation that the world as they knew it had come to an end, and that their careers would, in all probability, not survive today's outcome. Rawlinson was on his phone trying to reach Jennifer who was not answering, and for good reason. The phone call from her father had galvanised her into action. He had arranged for seats on a flight leaving in two hours for Kuala Lumpar and on to Europe. She was throwing clothes into a small case, along with her passport and as much money as she could lay her hands on at short notice. A car was on its way to collect her.

Both Rawlinson and Browne had returned to their respective offices, making sure not to appear as if they were panicking. They needed to destroy as much of the files as they could, before quietly slipping out of town. They had discussed the timeline before they left the court, both agreeing that they had, at the very least, twenty-four hours. They were wrong. Both the DPP and ICAC had been sent emails containing the transcripts along with a note stating that those involved would make an attempt to flee the country.

Natalie and I sat in her living room watching as the news intro flashed onto the screen. We had discussed our case with Rob and decided that it might rate a mention somewhere around item four or five. You can imagine our surprise when it appeared as the lead item.

"Police this afternoon arrested noted Barrister Morris Mitchell QC and his daughter Jennifer as they attempted to board a Malaysian Airlines flight to Kuala Lumpar. Police were acting on information that resulted from a court hearing claiming that the trial of Thomas Cowley over the death of Lionel Timms five years ago was a mis-carriage of justice. The court case revealed that the evidence put to that trial was corrupted, and that the conviction should be overturned, that it be declared a mistrial and the conviction quashed. It also asked for a pardon for Mr Cowley."

"As a result of this trial, the transcripts were sent to both the DPP and ICAC for their investigation. Acting on a tip-off, police were waiting to intercept Mr Mitchell and his daughter Jennifer, Mr Cowley's former wife, over their involvement in perverting the course of justice in that original trial. Also arrested were the investigating officer in that case, Detective Sergeant Browne, and the prosecuting counsel Stephen Rawlinson. All have been remanded in custody pending a hearing tomorrow."

"Also under investigation is the judge in this most recent trial, Justice Warren Morse. Un-named sources have revealed that it was he that warned Mr Mitchell that he was about to be arrested, and advising him to flee the country."

"Rob." Natalie and I said simultaneously.

"Mr Cowley's lawyer, Mr Robert Browning, when asked to comment this afternoon, stated that his client was pleased with the outcome of today's hearing and would take some time to absorb the ramifications of this trial. He will most likely be seeking compensation for time spent in gaol as a result of the initial conviction, as well as damage to his reputation. No further comment would be made until I, and my client, have discussed his next step."

"I know what my next step will be. Natalie, will you marry me?" I looked deep into her eyes with as pleading a look as I could muster.

"I'll have to think . . . of course I will."

The news went on in the background as we eventually untangled ourselves and walked to her, our, bedroom to celebrate today, our commitment to each other, and the rest of our lives.