Adraste's Gift

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Jayc57
Jayc57
28 Followers

It was a beautiful winter afternoon. A light steady snow fell and the flakes clung to her shawl and horse's mane. Some, gently melted on them as the heat from their bodies emanated through to the white flakes.

The woods seemed muted and silent, save for the plodding of her horse. He softly snorted and his ears twitched forward as he recognized the way home. The trees had begun to thin out as they approached the sea and the wind started to become more blustery. The horse picked up his head and sniffled the air. He then picked up the pace.

"Smell home, don't you boy?" Mabilla said, patting his neck with a smile and eased up on the reigns, coaxing the horse to canter and then to run.

The horse broke into a faster gallop, motivated by Mabilla's urgings and the promise of a warm stable, water and fodder. She hung on to the reigns and as they cleared the woods, she saw her new barn and wisps of smoke from her cottage in the distance. Her heart skipped a beat. Soon she would be home again.

Mabilla slowed down the pace and rode into the farm yard. She could hear the lyrical delights of childish laughter and a deep voiced roar. She broke into a smile when she saw her twin sons Erik and Ashton dueling with their father, Aluric. They had wooden swords and snow balls and by his playful groans her sons were winning their battle. Then she frowned as she saw her young daughter Ruth in the goat pen, trying to grab a young kid from its unamused mother.

She dismounted from her horse and announced her presence by loudly scolding her husband "Aluric! What is Ruth doing in the goat pen?" She snatched up the child into her arms.

Her sons dropped their wooden swords and ran to greet there mother. Aluric got to his feet with a big smile.

"I put Ruth in the pen because she wanders much like her mother." Aluric teased as he approached his wife, embracing her and kissing her soundly.

Over the years, as much as she tried, she could never stay angry with her husband for long. He had his faults and enjoyed playing childish pranks on his wife, much to their children's delight. And he still spoke in Norse when excited or angry.

But, he was a loving father and had improved her lot in life tenfold. They now had a new, bigger barn, and an apple orchard that would soon bear fruit in another season or two. Aluric also had plans to raise sheep when his sons were old enough to tend flock.

In her husband's strong clutch and her children near, Mabilla sent a silent prayer of thanks to Adraste for their good fortune.

Ruth was in Mabilla's arms hugging her mother. Aluric knelt for both his sons to clamber onto his hips and then stood with a loud grunt.

"Mabilla these cubs are turning into bears," Aluric groaned with exaggerated strain as they walked to the cottage. They neared the door and Aluric announced he had made supper.

Mabilla sent one more prayer before she walked inside, "Oh Adraste, please. Not his Fish Stew tonight!"

THE END.

Jayc57
Jayc57
28 Followers
12