All Comments on 'After The Storm'

by jack_straw

Sort by:
  • 41 Comments
Blue88Blue88almost 18 years ago
Nicely done

There are lessons to be learned in this story. Well done, well told. Thanks to the author.

AgenaAgenaalmost 18 years ago
Wonderful Story

A wonderful, sensitive story that tells about a pitfall of every marriage and why communication is so important.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Good job

something real. sometimes passion do burn out because we do inconsiderate things to the ppl who love us, not knowing the consequence.

thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
good story

it is a good story, and good writing, but ....

maybe it is me, but i had a problem suspending disbelief at how the character behaved and reacted. he had been verbally abusing her for years, losing his temper = and now suddenly he changes after he realized it? now after a couple months of post hurricane he learns patience and not to sweat the small stuff?

i guess it is possible, but you didn't make me beleive it. it was just a magic wand and 'poof', he was a new man. no wrestling with his demons. no struggling with bad habits.

still, i give it a 5.

Orion623Orion623almost 18 years ago
A Very Good Story

There is a lesson in this for all of us that have been married a long time. Don't take your marriage for granted simply because you are still married. Things can go to hell in a hurry if you haven't been paying attention.

At least the couple in this story hadn't lost their ability to communicate.

Good writing yeilded a nicely done short story.

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 18 years ago
VERY good and VERY believeable

The change in behavior CAN be that sudden when a massive life altering event occurs... a death... a car accident or yes a cat 4-5 hurricane.

fool from California notwithstanding

peggytwittypeggytwittyalmost 18 years ago
Very well done

I have to agree with Harry VA I’ve seen people have a shock like something being said they never could have dreamed from their spouse and stop dead in their tracks and become totally dumbfounded. This can be the catalyst that makes one stop and see how close they are to losing something they thought would always be their. It is a true reaction to a startling and devastating fact being believed by the mind. If this is a true personal story, I hope the author and spouse never forget this and end up slipping back into the old ways.

Great story for me, thank you for the story and entertainment.

PT

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
One thing missing

You left out the part where Darlene's black boss drugged her and had sex with her while videotaping it, then forced her to sleep with all his clients or he would tell her husband, the ex navy seal. Other than that, it was great.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
This Is A Showcase Of Your Abilities

It doesn't get much more real than this.

We often say talk when we should be saying but listen closely or you may miss something very important.

Very impressive work author. Very credible in the regained respect between them due to your portrayal.

With High regard

gizzmo301gizzmo301almost 18 years ago
good

Agreat story very real

gizzmo301gizzmo301almost 18 years ago
good

Agreat story very real

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
A slice of real life

Great real confession. Not a cock or clit stroker. Has the ring of truth to it. I was married for almost thirty years untill ALS took my soulmate. I still painfully remember every stupid insensitive thing I said or did to her.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Real story

This is a real take on most marriages and its failing. Thank goodness for a reality check on both participant. I have always enjoy this writer story, the interesting storyline and the hot part, all compliment each other. Will eagerly wait for your next contribution.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Totally credible

I'm halfway through your characters' problem. May my results on the next half

be as good.

Thank you,

Bob

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Somehow I had missed this story

of what marriages go through sometimes. I think even the best of relationships go through at least one major crisis.

When I saw the new chapter I wanted to refresh my memory but it turns out I hadn't read it at all.

Great story!

Regards, Jack

KOLKOREKOLKOREover 17 years ago
“Words of truth can be easily recognized”

I’ll second the words of “totally credible” commenter and those of “One thing missing” just completed the picture with a quick parody of what was SO NOT missing…

I’d say that what unfortunately was also credible is many women’s tendency to avoid confrontation and openly convey where they are especially if their spouse tends to be defensive. It happens even if the defensiveness is about “small things” .The small things are many times taken on the emotional level as very big things, namely, as reflecting the attitude and lack of respect to them.

In that respect the wife too bears no small responsibility for not ringing her own alarm bell to let the husband know in no uncertain terms that her emotional reservoir is draining.

Great story. An expression I know goes as follows: “Words of truth can be easily recognized”. I wish it was so all the time. Here it definitely was.

RePhilRePhilover 13 years ago
Brilliant

Skilled and beautifully crafted

racoon1174racoon1174almost 13 years ago
Been there Just done that

As someone who recently endured one of these bumps in my marriage I have to say the emotion and reactions of the characters was extremely well crafted.

Mostera1Mostera1over 12 years ago
Sweet

Mr. Straw, a true loving wife syory. Thanks.

RePhilRePhilover 12 years ago
Pleasantly Perfect!

Thanks

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333about 11 years ago
Loved it

Thanks or sharing this personal story.

BoneGureyBoneGureyover 10 years ago

The crisis period should be longer and more elaborated to make the tension/desperation more pronounce.

Great love making at the end.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
so...it was all your fault, and she is and was a god-blasted saint.

That's basically what you seem to believe. Way to strip her of her agency. She is a grown woman and she is responsible for her own part in the near-failure of your relationship. Communication is a requirement for a healthy relationship. Even if she thought you wouldn't be receptive, she has no one to blame (and you are insulting her by suggesting otherwise) but herself for remaining silent while she built up massive stores of resentment and rage towards you. In a nonabusive relationship, any failure is always a 50/50 issue, with a possible exception (the adulterous partner generally carries primary blame in such a scenario) for adultery. Saints don't tend to get married. Married folks generally aren't saints, but rather normal, flawed human beings. Thanks for reading, sorry if my impertinence caused offense. :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
uhh

''You often have to stop mid-fuck and reprime your pump''

WTF???????

My guessmation arithmetic-27 when met-23 years married-unknown dating and engagement years-puts you early to mid 50s.

And you go soft during sex? Reprime pump? With hat?

Start walking, step aerobics, circuit train, Pilates...get NordicTrak and use it. Working construction sometimes gained weight winter layoff but dropped off after month back to work.

Year I turned 40 by early October still had not lost prior year winter weight

Changed lifestyle-up at 3am for 90 minute workout-walk pilates floor circuit training and walked for hour after dinner-20 minute miles best rate to burn fat-not very aerobic but best fat burning rate and easy to do

Laid off - 6 walks per day

In there my wife bought NordicTrak-clumsy at first but 3 months later set at highest leg resistance-front elevated 3 holes, arm resistance one level below max-Playboy video tapes in player and away we go...minimum of hour no stop-record 145 minutes

Took wife to bed and worked into rhythm, increased pace,

My tianium buns rapid up own up down non stop continuous furious pace pumping with out being exerted or hard breathing. Half hour of the rapid even pumping up down all in up almost out down all in my body felt light and lightening fast could have run that bunny into the ground but wife began babbling about could not take anymore...offered to slow down but she was gushed out

Re-prime pump indeed

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
just ignorant

Despite a 145 IQ, being Valedictorian, PRES OF NHS, full ride scholastic scholarships, I always loved repetitive physical work. Pick it up, pack it, put it down!

Hated school though I excelled. Hated thought of working inside so being hod carrier was perfect job.

Great pay, benefits and somebody payed me to work out.

Developed great body including legs especially calves which many gym rats ignore. Male TOAS.

Then there was stamina to keep on going and going.

Mid fifties came plenty of blood expanding my personal parts and renowed for my control

Got hard stayed hard kept going til females were limp and exhausted...then double my speed and fire off spurt after spurt I had built up.

Wasn't rich but had what I wanted...nice little house, on 10 Montana acres tough dependable truck decent clothes, substantial IRA GREAT pension, excellent muscular body.

Working girls trained me on female body in my early twenties.

Donald can have the money and the blondes. The glitz glamour and fame.

I have the small town girl across the street almost auburn dusting of freckles on that pale skin..no wax please

Mutual devotion and loyalty and love...love those fifteen baby added pounds

NO! I WON'T TRADE YA

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
1* Wrong Category

Romance or non-erotic

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
liked it

good story, well written, enjoyable read. Thanks

26thNC26thNCalmost 5 years ago
Good one

Really good, true to life story about a loving couple. I enjoyed it. A big fuck you to Adolph.

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdover 4 years ago
She's Either Mentally-Challenged

Or manipulative, either way for her to dump on him during a disaster is inhuman.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Howcome

How come,these flashes of temper never arose whilst they were courting,and if they did why did she marry him?.

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago

Reading again. A really good story. Too true.

MarkT63MarkT63over 3 years ago

Good story. No real cheating; and TRUE!!!

dgfergiedgfergieover 2 years ago

Sounds like a lot of marriages. Things get old problems arise, they don't get handle and one or the other in the marriage just gives up and wants out. End of marriage. True story, yup! No communication, no marriage, pretty simple.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 2 years ago

This is a very honest story and far more realistic than just about everything published here. Well done!

underdog1underdog1almost 2 years ago

Bravo, a breath of fresh air as a positive came out of a negative. To many go the wrong way and love that could have been saved was instead killed. Also, a sense of realism, thank you!

Simon_MastersSimon_Mastersover 1 year ago

It's strange how a relationship can fizzle out, loss of intimacy etc.....

ggariousggariousover 1 year ago

I just discovered your writing. This story is a reminder of how bad circumstances can make things better in the long run. My wife says, “ I’m not glad I had cancer but I’m glad I had cancer.” It drew the family closer, it left blessings in its wake. Great story, a solid 5

dc6370dc6370about 1 year ago

All of the stories one reads in LW where the MC is surprised by the wife's affair. The truth is the marriage was eroding for quite some time. If this story is true, then congratulations to you and your wife for putting forth the effort to save your marriage.

NitpicNitpic11 months ago
How

How can supplies get depleted if there is no power to pump it.?

NoBullAlNoBullAl2 months ago

Good story!! RAAC all the way!!!

LT56linebackerLT56linebackerabout 23 hours ago

Great story. I just realized that there was a second story about this piece of business. I just finished reading it and I loved it. This is what true love is all about. It's not pretty, not clean, and definitely not easy. I empathize. And Nitpic, you've never gone through a hurricane. No electricity means no refrigeration, you can't pump water (especially if you're on a well), no lights, no amenities, no nothing. And Katrina was a true disaster. lighten up, pal. The Bear loved the story and as always, loves a happy ending.6 star. Now, if we could just figure out a way to kill a hurricane, THAT asshole would 'no longer be walking around upright'. Again, sir, thank you.

The BEAR

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous