All Comments on 'Andy'

by rwsteward

Sort by:
  • 186 Comments
Stroker_347Stroker_347about 12 years ago
Loved the story

The younger generations might have a hard time putting a picture to your words unless they have seen some old black and white TV shows, but I had no problem. I imagined the story being told, like Jack Webb from Dragnet. Well before any kind of time period was mentioned, I already had it in my mind. Your dialogue was spot on.

And then you had to go and rip my heart out and make me cry you bastard.

I'd give it a 6 if I could but it only allows 5 stars.

SouthPacificSouthPacificabout 12 years ago
Definitely not the draft I started to edit!

You said that you had changed your mind about ten times before the story even got to me - I'm guessing that you changed it a few more before it got to the final version.

A really amazing story - and I cried too.

LeFrog08LeFrog08about 12 years ago
Wow...this one got to me

we seem to be more emotional where a young kid dies. A touching story, Mr. Steward.

SunshineChica73SunshineChica73about 12 years ago

I added this as a favorite, but I just don't know if I can ever read it again. I like your work but it was just too much for me emotionally!

hathorbr1hathorbr1about 12 years ago
Wow! Very Touching!

OMG! That was such a tear-jerker. That story also hit home for me in a different way because I experienced watching a child die of cancer and it was a horrible thing to witness. Even though he was just a student of mine, I felt a profound loss and it will always be with me. Anyway, you have a talent for writing and you should definetely keep up the great work!

Sidney43Sidney43about 12 years ago
Oh my

I started the story noticing a few misused and misspelled words and thinking about commenting on the value of a proof reader. Then, the story sort of reached out and grabbed me and if there were any more minor issues, they escaped my notice. Then my nose needed blowing and there was some suspicious moisture in my eyes and it was like Oh Crap, why does this shit have to happen in real life and why do people have the skill to make it so painful on these virtual pages.

Lovely story, well written and if only all of us could find the perfect partner in life.

Five stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Can't see for all the damn rain getting in my eyes...

Utterly outstanding. Don't know what you could ever do to top this story. It is the best I have ever read on this site.

Thank you...

ShrkDivr

*****+++++

DWHenryDWHenryabout 12 years ago
great

I thought this was a very good story

Scotsman69Scotsman69about 12 years ago
A lovely tale

Spoiled only by a few misuses of language. Keep writing, and find an editor.

FloridaryanFloridaryanabout 12 years ago
Thanks for a Great Read

This is the first sory that I have read of yours and wanted to says thanks for a great story. Real characters,real people, real love,real sadness, real joy. All the things that make up a life.Thanks again

PTBzzzzPTBzzzzabout 12 years ago
Damn,

damn good story.

JonTaylorJonTaylorabout 12 years ago
Wonderful Story

You kept the flow crisp and the characters interesting. It didn't seem as long as it was. My son died of cancer - that part presented a challenge, but you handled it well.

I would have liked the story of Ellies' abuser with more flesh on it, but it's only a minor comment. You do need an editor - shinning for shining, loosing for losing, etc. Unneeded distractions better avoided.

Keep writing, you have a gift.

bruce22bruce22about 12 years ago
Beautiful Story

You weave a fine tale made of light touches and sharply accented moments.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
So overwrought throughout

I stopped reading half way down page 2. I'm happy that others liked it though. To each his own.

rwstewardrwstewardabout 12 years agoAuthor
Dear readers

rwsteward here...

Many thanks for the comments on this story, the good and the bad

As for needing an editor.

I DID use one of the volunteer editors. Apparently, there were some bugs that didn't get smashed.

I will make the necessary corrections and repost. Allow up to 72+ hours for the corrected file to show up.

catman71catman71about 12 years ago
great, painful, and heartwarming

i thought the story was paced perfectly . the slow building of love, the consummation of that love, and the pain of the child's slow and obviously heart wrenching decline , along with the fact hat things went a little sideways, but hat he held to a vow, i cannot hope that these two, and the family get another story, just if to show how the younger siblings learn of the elder brother, and how it may have effected them.

catman71catman71about 12 years ago
and by the way

if i could, i would give it a ten

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Joining the crowd who loved it

This is the first of yours I have read. One page in, I went ahead and printed out your story list so I can read your others.

The next five pages justified that early choice. Thanks for a great read.

LitID: Tyro999

Mostera1Mostera1about 12 years ago
This is very good.

A wonderful bittersweet romance, it tugs hard at the heart. Very good plot, and I thought the ending was great.

I expect to see this on the Hallmak channel soon!

Thank you!

M1

double_entendredouble_entendreabout 12 years ago
WOW!!!

I am speechless. This is a great story. I will definitely be watching for more of your work in the future.

HyperthalmusHyperthalmusabout 12 years ago
Very well written

Tugs on all the major the emotions. very well done

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
teary eyed

I can't express how emotional this story made me feel. Best story i've read in a long time.

doodlesdaddoodlesdadabout 12 years ago
wonderful!

I've got tears in my eyes as I finish this.

farthmaulfarthmaulabout 12 years ago

Talk about a great story. Made me cry when Andy died. Keep on writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago

I'll admit it, I cried when I finished this story. Such a great story, very moving and emotional. Good to see that they made it through Andy's death and had a great life together. 5 stars.

Ms_SassyFlurtMs_SassyFlurtabout 12 years ago
Good story

Such a good story.. just like everyone else that commented I got emotional and cried

sailordblj1966sailordblj1966about 12 years ago
Cryed like a baby

Such a wonderful story and had me crying like crazy at the end. Thanks for sharing this outstanding story with us. Keep up the great work.

MaddieKimMaddieKimabout 12 years ago
Beautiful

I thought smoking in the newsroom? I haven’t seen smoking in any public building for years. Then you mentioned Mick at his IBM Selectric and I thought…ahhh. By then I was so hooked on the story I couldn’t read fast enough.

And yes, like most of your other readers, I cried. If you read this comment before reading the story, have your Kleenex ready.

The death of a child can tear a marriage apart or strengthen it. I’m so glad, Jake and Ellie made it through the rough part.

Most definitely 5 stars. I look forward to reading more of your stories. Thank you for sharing this one.

Maddie

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
I'm Just Like The Rest

RW - - - One thing that isn't in God's overall plan for things is for the parents to outlive their offspring. Eight years ago we lost our daughter very suddenly, she was 44. Seldom does a day go by I/we don't think about her. She was the metronome of our lives and set the tempo of the home and kept my wife and I in line, and when she passed the silence was deafening. You have very expertly and gently painted a portrait of numbing grief and included a shadowbox of that family's return from tragedy and growth into what can only be perceived as the strength to carry on, grow, yet never forgetting the very beginning. Thank you for an excellent read. And yes, I'm just like the rest of the readers, I had a few tears. Sincerely, Prof. Ramstein

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 12 years ago
Good story

Captured hesitance to commit well. Shouldn't have killed off the little kid, though. Comedy always preferred over tragedy. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Excellent

Best story I have read in a while

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Really good

I only post to the good ones or the really bad ones. I've read enough of these stories... so I can honestly tell you this is a very well written story. I don't know where any of the bad comments came from. From what I read the only problem readers could have is they prefer stories that aren't real and can only read the fantasies.(they probably watch the bachelor) :) This story is real, the male character is a man and the womens a women... And the toe heads an everyday kid. Simply beautiful.

Rod_WalkerRod_Walkerabout 12 years ago
Couldn't Finish

I was enjoying the story but I had to stop reading. I lost my only child, a seven year old boy to a glioma.

Yuri5Yuri5about 12 years ago
incredibly moving...

I am almost at a loss for words. 5*

The child, Andy, was the centre of the story... and that made it so much more precious. Too often stories are written as though children are 'just' offspring, but I really liked how Andy was part of them both! I can only imagine how devestating a loss of such a child would be to parents in real life... Thank you for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago

I had to stop reading a few times before I could finish it, incredibly moving and well written.

northlandernorthlanderabout 12 years ago
The. Best

Without a doubt, one of the best if not the best story that I have read on Lit. You captured the anguish of the parents that as a former cop I saw so often in the faces of parents learning that their child had died. A wonderful real life story that even makes an old soldier and cop tear up.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
ANDY

What an intense heart warming story waking up so many different emotions! I laughed and cried! Thank you for giving me an awesome time reading the story of Andy!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Wow great work.

I have read most of your stories, all good. I too noticed some small problems with grammar, but I accept that not everyone is able to be grammatically perfect, myself included, and that the literary world would be poorer if they let that prevent them from contributing. The way you have used your skill to portray the period and the placement of events is, in my opinion, excellent. I found myself drawn in to the story to such an extent that I was chuckling to myself then sad then laughing and then, in tears, well done keep up the good work, and watch out for spell check, it often has no idea of which version of a grammatical variation you are trying to use! Again excellent work please don't stop writing.

chytownchytownabout 12 years ago
Great Read!!!!!

Thanks for sharing this gem of a story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Excellent

that was beautiful, excellent work

oldwayneoldwayneabout 12 years ago
What a beautiful story!

Somewhere in the comments that person known as "Anonymous" reared his ugly head and demonstrated his ugliness. Any person with at least a semblance of understanding could not read this story without being profoundly touched by it. So Mr. Anonymous, you need to crawl back under your rock like the serpent that you exemplify, who truly has no soul.

Thank you, rws, for just and outstanding story! I regret that I can only give it FIVE STARS!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
BEAUTIFUL

This is the first time i've read a story on this site that has rili touched my heart. THANK YOU, FOR RESTORING MY FAITH IN LOVE.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
very good

when he died i almost cried, but it was probably the most romantic story i have read

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
This was so touching

The story was beautiful. I cried when Andy died and this reminds me tht we take life for granted. The story was very touching, romantic, and sad. Thank you for writing up this story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
wow...

I'm at a lost for words right now. No clue what to say, so here it goes... Great story, made me cry, and keep up the good work.

kuroukiphoenyxkuroukiphoenyxabout 12 years ago
its hard to make me cry over a story

You cant help but to with this one. Bravo.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago

Amazing story. Made me cry and appreciate the little things in this world. Also made me realise that on any day, your life can change

cantbuymycantbuymyabout 12 years ago
too sad

well written but too damn sad for me. you still get a 5.

tazz317tazz317about 12 years ago
LIFE THREW LEMON TO ADULTS

but the youngster gave them sugar and honey. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
deeply touching

What a fabulous story . . . To be able to weave strands of love, desire, other strings of our humanity, and tragedy together not only plausibly but elegantly is quite an accomplishment. Thank you

hk47enclavehk47enclaveabout 12 years ago

OMG,

I can't believe he died.......

This story was sooo touching......and sooo sad.....

Well written but damn....sooo sad.....

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Wow.

Thank you for this story. I loved the way you placed the story in its place in time, not by telling us a date, but by the use of detail: smoking a pipe in an office, the use of the typewriters and the hotel burglary in DC. The craft and skill that you demonstrated in writing this story was exceptional.

LaRascasseLaRascasseabout 12 years ago
Wow..

Such raw emotion, such a beautiful tale and such believable characters. This story got my cold apathetic beating with emotion which is quite the accomplishment. I feel so depressed right now at the fate of poor Andy. Just fabulous,

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
A Cut Above

Amazing writing; one of the many ways this story stands apart from the vast majority of Lit stories is how many distinct emotions are invoked through the plot.

Sid0604Sid0604almost 12 years ago
Thank-you

A truely remarkably well written story. It sets a bench mark for other authors to try to achieve. I'm so glad I read it. Thank-you Sid

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Hats off!!

truly emotional.....

Privates1stClassPrivates1stClassalmost 12 years ago
Great story

I enjoyed your story, and like many others who left comments, had tears in my eyes when I finished. Your story goes straight to the heart, and as you pointed out, love is the most important aspect of a relationship. Thanks for sharing your story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Beautiful Story

This is such a passionate and beautiful story, and for something like this to be written, you need a great and warm heart. Such powerful story, able to evoke great catharsis, is only a product of experience -- no vicariousness here. For whatever inspired You to write this, God bless.

FemmeCyniqueFemmeCyniquealmost 12 years ago
This is just... wow...

I cried loads when Andy came around to going to the oncologist.. I was hoping that this would end with a miracle of Andy barely making it, with weak responses to the meds... It did end along the same lines... though not the way I'd have wanted Ellen to live her life with Jake... Love this

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
thanks

great read

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Hidden Treasure

I cried more than a few tears......this story is a hidden treasure here. Thank you for the story and the reminder about what is important.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
wow!

heart touching.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Truely Touching

This story was one i did not expect. Some really nice parts in it, and especially the end.. I might have shed a tear or two.. Really a good read. Thanks for the post.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
great writing

your writing is great, I cried when Andy was in the hospital

tazz317tazz317almost 12 years ago
HELLO DAYLIGHT MY OLD FRIEND

its been a year and we've come talk to you again, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago

WOW

PucklemanPucklemanover 11 years ago
Different Class

This is writing of a different class!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Shed a tear

Seldom a book has touching moments... urs story had a good one... thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago

heart touching story

LilShebaLilShebaover 11 years ago
Damn!

Nothing else I can say.

RhomanovRhomanovover 11 years ago
Tears

The loss of a loved one is so hard.

You and your words do that proud.

Thx

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
ok, I admit it.

ok, I admit it. I cried. You got my 5 just for the raw emotion.

jkananijkananiabout 11 years ago
best story ive read

This is probably the best story I've ever read here on literotica. I cried, smiled and love this story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

this is the best story i have ever read or seen . you are very good writer .thank you

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
thank you

i think i read this story at least 3 or 4 times already

still brings a tear to my eye

thank you for sharing this store with us

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

great story

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
as a step dad.

Great story and yes it got to me.

auhunter04auhunter04almost 11 years ago
was great the first time I read this

each time I re read it, it gets better

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago

Beautiful, moving story. Made me cry.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
You bastard....

You happy now? You made me cry!

friskypolefriskypolealmost 11 years ago
Heartwrenching

Almost made me cry. Very beautiful.

charlie48charlie48almost 11 years ago
Very well written

And like the majority of the comments it made me cry.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
salutations

I have to have read this particular peice of littriture at least 10 times each time i am always wiping tears from my eyes a brilliantly written peice capturing the essencw of the pain a parent would feel in this situation

Tyler_HTyler_Halmost 11 years ago
A strange dichotomy

I find it supremely ironic that this story is the highest rated of its kind and yet contains within it one of the most devastating types of sorrow imaginable. Apparently "Romance" does not necessarily mean "happy". Contentment makes for boring reading, in the end I suppose. But it had some very human moments, which is why I gave it a 5 rating.

Redmoon_ElzRedmoon_Elzalmost 11 years ago
I cant express in words

My heart ached reading the ending.. i mean ached . I cried and cried and just wanted to go hold my own little boy... loved this story

snathsnathalmost 11 years ago
Inspiring

This is a story which inspires to live, to overcome sorrow so as to find light at the end of the tunnel

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
True love story.

A warm, compassionate love story. A true love story. Need more of these.

Sid0604Sid0604almost 11 years ago
It's all been said

Thank you

missymoemissymoealmost 11 years ago
Real life romance

That was a truly beautiful love story. Thank you for sharing it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

WOW!

This is one hell of a story

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Speavhless

Sorry i could only give 5 stars. And to think i almosed passed by this story. Your story touched the heart and left me in tears. A million stars!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Not fair..

if you set out to make a grown man cry, you succeed.

good story, with characters that draws you in.

VisualPervVisualPervover 10 years ago
O. M. G.!

Wow! That took a turn I wasn't expecting. Damn!

The author hit this puppy right on the head. Our 8 year old has a genetic tumor-producing disease, and I remember the day I was told that the geneticist would likely need him to have a CT scan for brain tumors. I managed to get him dropped off at day care none the wiser, then I went back to work and spent the rest of the day crying at my desk. We are NOT wired to watch our kids die, and the grief and pain of hastening my father's death (make the decision to pull the plug for a fun family outing sometime) and waiting for that poor old man to die paled to transparency compared with the grief, the pain, and the abject terror I felt that day.

If we grant stars for well-written tales, this gets a solid five. If we grant stars for creating characters we can relate with and understand, this gets a solid five. If we award stars for ripping your heart out and shoving it down your throat while still beating, well, it gets about seventeen million.

If the author's goal was to turn a bunch of adults into blubbering crybabies, it appears that s/he has succeeded. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

NiCe story... I felt so sad and happy .... the sense of loss and the joy of being a dad.

Sam37Sam37over 10 years ago
Astoundingly good read

Yes, I had tears as well. Very well done. Thanks for sharing it with us.

yankeecatladyyankeecatladyover 10 years ago
Wonderful

Moved me very much.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
God what a story

U had me in tears with this. I hate stories like this but i know things like this happen everyday. No child should die before theyre time.

Storm113Storm113over 10 years ago
well written. just could not handle andy dying.

could have gone with happy

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Good story but...

Why the hell did you kill off Andy!

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous